FB: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

palum

UW System President Ray Cross  announced Friday "he fully expects" UW unversities to fully reopen for the fall 2020 school year.  I assume that means that fall sports will have the regular preseason camps.

BoBo

Quote from: teddydetitan on May 15, 2020, 11:54:10 PM
Quote from: PauldingLightUP on May 15, 2020, 07:44:15 PM
And now Taulia Tagovailoa has transferred to Maryland. Not a good fortune for Evan Lewandowski.
That's unfortunate to hear. I can't believe the article on ESPN did not mention Lewandowski  ;) Did they forget that a commit holds some NCAA records?

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29180989/former-alabama-qb-taulia-tagovailoa-transfers-maryland

FUN PREDICTION: Lewandowski will never take 1 snap from center as a QB as a member of the Univ of Maryland football team. Anyone who thinks differently, is probably a relative. He will end his "career" someplace other than Maryland.

Maryland doesn't even list him on their 2020 roster - to those of you who say, well...he's only a transfer, they don't put transfers on the roster until fall. Tagovailoa is also only a transfer at this point, but he is on their roster w/ quite the lengthy Bio for a guy who's thrown all of 12 passes in his college career. Lewandowski is a record breaking QB.  ;) Has Maryland football even made an announcement regarding Lewandowski's transfer? Start the conspiracy theories.
I'VE REACHED THAT AGE
WHERE MY BRAIN GOES
FROM "YOU PROBABLY
SHOULDN'T SAY THAT," TO
"WHAT THE HELL, LET'S SEE
WHAT HAPPENS."

jknezek

Quote from: BoBo on May 17, 2020, 11:13:54 AM
And now Taulia Tagovailoa has transferred to Maryland. Not a good fortune for Evan Lewandowski.
That's unfortunate to hear. I can't believe the article on ESPN did not mention Lewandowski  ;) Did they forget that a commit holds some NCAA records?

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29180989/former-alabama-qb-taulia-tagovailoa-transfers-maryland

FUN PREDICTION: Lewandowski will never take 1 snap from center as a QB as a member of the Univ of Maryland football team. Anyone who thinks differently, is probably a relative. He will end his "career" someplace other than Maryland.

Maryland doesn't even list him on their 2020 roster - to those of you who say, well...he's only a transfer, they don't put transfers on the roster until fall. Tagovailoa is also only a transfer at this point, but he is on their roster w/ quite the lengthy Bio for a guy who's thrown all of 12 passes in his college career. Lewandowski is a record breaking QB.  ;) Has Maryland football even made an announcement regarding Lewandowski's transfer? Start the conspiracy theories.

Lewandowski gambled and lost. Talia is not as good as his brother but he is still very talented and, because of his brother, is going to be a headliner until Maryland decides if he is the answer or not. Bad luck for Lewandowski but if he wants to play he might as well re-enter the portal or hope Talia is even more injury prone than Tua.

badgerwarhawk

Regardless of how it turns out or where he ends up I can't fault him for taking a shot at it.  Speaking for myself I'd rather take my shot and fail than pass it by and spend my life wondering if I could have.  He might have been an Eagle but my best wishes to him. 
"Just think twice is my only advice."

formerd3db

Quote from: jknezek on May 17, 2020, 11:34:54 AM
Quote from: BoBo on May 17, 2020, 11:13:54 AM

Lewandowski gambled and lost. Talia is not as good as his brother but he is still very talented and, because of his brother, is going to be a headliner until Maryland decides if he is the answer or not. Bad luck for Lewandowski but if he wants to play he might as well re-enter the portal or hope Talia is even more injury prone than Tua.
Quote from: badgerwarhawk on May 17, 2020, 12:45:18 PM
Regardless of how it turns out or where he ends up I can't fault him for taking a shot at it.  Speaking for myself I'd rather take my shot and fail than pass it by and spend my life wondering if I could have.  He might have been an Eagle but my best wishes to him. 

Again, I also do not blame him for trying to go taking a shot at it and certainly wish him the best if he follows through with his decision. However, I have to question what he was told by the Maryland coaching staff. Some revealing info here...on Maryland's official roster, there are five QBs listed,  all scholarship players and Lewandowski is not one of them. There are two sophomores, Tyler DeSue from Virginia Beach, VA and Eric Najaria from Crofton, MD; senior Josh Jackson from Ann Arbor, MI who has been a starter until injury last year; refshirt-freshman Lance Legendre from New Orleans, and now Taulia (all of this is why Tyrel Pigrome, who started games on each of his four years at Maryland, took the grad transfer route and will play at Western Kentucky he just announced( he will likely be the starter there, bit they, too, have five scholarship QBs on the roster now.)

Also, Taulia has already been assigned a jersey number on the roster. All of this, especially the latter, does not look good for Lewandowski. I wonder if height be reconsidering his decision and stay put? Again, I can't blame him if he still desires to take his shot and he obviously is confident in that. But,...if it were me, I might have to take a hard "re-evaluation" of my chances and the situation. I still am puzzled as to why he chose Maryland?
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

hazzben

@d3db - I think you hit the nail on the head. I can't fault a guy for taking his shot and wanting to prove himself and see if he could play at the highest level.

That said, Power 5 recruiting is a zero sum game, which he's finding out the hard way. They were selling him a dream, and he wanted to believe what they were selling. At the end of the day, Maryland is stockpiling as many pieces as they can, especially at a position where projecting success is so elusive. Bottom line, he's got a bunch of scholarship players in front of him, a flashy transfer, and there will be several fresh scholarship players recruited for next years class. If he does see the field, it will be an incredible success story. But highly unlikely at this point.

WW

Quote from: hazzben on May 18, 2020, 09:16:32 AM
@d3db - I think you hit the nail on the head. I can't fault a guy for taking his shot and wanting to prove himself and see if he could play at the highest level.

That said, Power 5 recruiting is a zero sum game, which he's finding out the hard way. They were selling him a dream, and he wanted to believe what they were selling. At the end of the day, Maryland is stockpiling as many pieces as they can, especially at a position where projecting success is so elusive. Bottom line, he's got a bunch of scholarship players in front of him, a flashy transfer, and there will be several fresh scholarship players recruited for next years class. If he does see the field, it will be an incredible success story. But highly unlikely at this point.

If he wasn't offered a skolly, he was already a long shot at best, and I don't think you can accuse the Maryland staff of blowin smoke. Big 10, even Maryland, just seemed way too big a jump. I thought he'd find a better fit at an FCS program. I dunno. Some guys might rather hold a clipboard for a Big 10 team a couple years than be the man at LaCrosse.

WW

Quote from: palum on May 16, 2020, 04:26:24 PM
UW System President Ray Cross  announced Friday "he fully expects" UW unversities to fully reopen for the fall 2020 school year.  I assume that means that fall sports will have the regular preseason camps.

I don't know. This was on UWO Athletics twitter: "All in-person, non-instructional programming is canceled through Aug. 31. The decision impacts all UWO in-person athletic camps and fundraisers."

emma17

Quote from: badgerwarhawk on May 17, 2020, 12:45:18 PM

I'm with you BW.
The kid was first team All- WIAC QB. The thing about QB comparisons is it's not like you end up w dramatic differences in measurables like you might at other positions. He has the right height and weight. He has successful experience at high levels of high school and D3. Does he have the arm strength? I can only go by what I see on film and be sure looks like he can make all the throws. Does he have poor technique? Perhaps he throws a little from the side at times. Is he slow slow like Brady or Manning? No. He likely isn't the electric read option QB many teams target these days, so he may lose to scheme more than QB talent.

hazzben

Quote from: WW on May 18, 2020, 12:19:58 PM
If he wasn't offered a skolly, he was already a long shot at best, and I don't think you can accuse the Maryland staff of blowin smoke.

Just to clarify, I wasn't saying Maryland's staff was being shady or underhanded in their recruitment. It's just the reality of the situation, they are going to keep stockpiling talent. Blue Blood Program A lands a 4/5* QB for the 2021 class. Blue Blood Program A continues pursuing 4/5* QB recruits for 2022 class. That's just how the game works. Look at Alabama and Georgia and Clemson for how elite HS QB's with solid starting experience/results, lost their jobs to even more elite talent.

formerd3db

Quote from: hazzben on May 19, 2020, 05:13:23 PM
Quote from: WW on May 18, 2020, 12:19:58 PM
If he wasn't offered a skolly, he was already a long shot at best, and I don't think you can accuse the Maryland staff of blowin smoke.

Just to clarify, I wasn't saying Maryland's staff was being shady or underhanded in their recruitment. It's just the reality of the situation, they area going to keep stockpiling talent. Blue Blood Program A lands a 4/5* QB for the 2021 class. Blue Blood Program A continues pursuing 4/5* QB recruits for 2022 class. That's just how the game works. Look at Alabama and Georgia and Clemson for how elite HS QB's with solid starting experience/results, lost their jobs to even more elite talent.

No worries, hazzben.  As for me, I did not interpret your post that way i.e. alleging any "shady or underhanded" manuevering. I think we were both just wondering if they really laid out the total plans to him-being 110% transparent.  Hopefully, they were and hopefully Lewandowski did not misinterpret their intentions.  I will be interested to find out what he decides to do at this point.
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

palum

Quote from: WW on May 18, 2020, 02:27:56 PM
Quote from: palum on May 16, 2020, 04:26:24 PM

I don't know. This was on UWO Athletics twitter: "All in-person, non-instructional programming is canceled through Aug. 31. The decision impacts all UWO in-person athletic camps and fundraisers."
A report on Wisconsin Public Radio announced that some UW System campuses have begun laying out plans to reopen this summer with the goal of holding in person classes this fall. The report goes on to say that individual campuses are providing guidance to staff and students.  The story mentions UWGB, will open July 1, UW RF will be opening this fall subject to ok by county health officials. UW LaCrosse plans on giving summer school students access to classrooms on July 20th. A formal announcement from  UW Systems will be made in July. So it looks like the goal is to have students on campus this fall. The story also mentions that Covid-19 Pandemic has cost the UW System over $200 million in lost revenue.

bulk19

Awesome story about former UWEC linebacker Justin Greenwood, who sustained a traumatic brain injury in a game against UWRF in 2003. Due to the Covid19 shutdowns, he wasn't able to go work out at the gym. So, the owner/his trainer came to Justin's house...

https://www.stevenspointjournal.com/story/sports/2020/05/22/football-player-brain-injury-connects-trainer-through-pandemic/5230293002/

Way to go, guys! Such an inspirational story.... (Watch the video, too!)

fredfalcon

About Ray Cross's statement re UW system classes opening in the fall (and thereby football scheduling):  a May 30 Wall St. Journal article on the possibility of NCAA football in the fall said that it's the state's governor plus the university presidents who have the primary say.

The system a.d. and individual school a.d's, not so much. UWRF situation maybe more complicated now with current chancellor moving to Missouri Southern and a temporary chancellor assuming duties July 1.

The WSJ article discussed only D1 football scheduling possibilities.
WORLD'S OLDEST FALCON FAN.

MESSAGE TO RECRUITS:  IN DOUBT? ENROLL AT STOUT. DON'T CARE? GO TO EAU CLAIRE. AT A LOSS? TRY LACROSSE. FEELIN' OUTTA JOINT? YOUR PLACE IS POINT. DON'T LIKE THE REST? DO WHAT'S BEST!

GOT BALLS? PLAY FOR THE FALLS!

formerd3db

Quote from: fredfalcon on May 27, 2020, 12:00:09 PM
About Ray Cross's statement re UW system classes opening in the fall (and thereby football scheduling):  a May 30 Wall St. Journal article on the possibility of NCAA football in the fall said that it's the state's governor plus the university presidents who have the primary say.

The system a.d. and individual school a.d's, not so much. UWRF situation maybe more complicated now with current chancellor moving to Missouri Southern and a temporary chancellor assuming duties July 1.

The WSJ article discussed only D1 football scheduling possibilities.

On that same line of thought (and I may have missed any discussion of such here on this board, so my apologies if this has been discussed earlier here), the University of Wisconsin announced it will not allow this year's spring senior atletes to return for 2021 if they wanted to despite the NCAA's decision  allowing athletes in that situation to do so. Does this apply also to the DIII Wisconsin University schools also or was this only the DI Wisconsin's  (Madison) decision?  And if the latter is the situation, has anyone heard what your Wisconsin DIII schools are thinking about doing in that regard?