NCAA Tournament

Started by David Collinge, February 23, 2009, 05:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nickbballcoach

Big fan of D3 sports. My first post, and I lead with this. (haha)  Below is how I rank the remaining NCAA teams. This is purely based on offensive efficiency. (This stat tends to hold some weight in determining a NC.) I don't think a team less than 100 will have their shot this year. (See 2nd table.)

I did do a bracket this year and tried to fill it out purely on offensive efficiency. (Exception was Regis-Amherst. Regis was more efficient, but we know that would not be result.) I think the later rounds we can use this stat.   

TeamOFF Eff
Washington113.0
Ohio Northern111.5
St. Thomas111.1
Hope108.2
Scranton106.7
Amherst105.6
Whitman104.7
UW-Osh103.2
SUNY Gen101.9
Trinity101.4
CNU98.6
Tufts97.6
Babson   97.0
Mass-Dartmouth94.0
Suny New Pl93.1
Marymount91.8

Here are the previous NC's. (The stats I could find.) It appears that the top 6 teams for this year, have the best overall shot of winning the title.

Thomas More144.0
FDU-Flor110.2
Depauw115.5
Illinois Wes105.9
Amherst111.6
Washington104.6
Howard Payne107.5
Depauw110.5

Just Bill

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 05, 2017, 07:51:58 PM
Quote from: Roundball999 on March 05, 2017, 02:45:56 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 05, 2017, 02:44:22 PM
I have been told there was some mistake on the NCAA's end.. though, I am not sure where in took place... but there was a clerical error somewhere.

Thanks for clearing that up.  At least my reservations in Geneseo are cancelable :)

Turns out... committee voted for Geneseo who was #1 in the East over ONU who was #2 in the Great Lakes. The problem came down to the fact the NCAA had indicated Hope could bus to Geneseo with the mileabe being below 500. What the software didn't tell anyone ... that was going through Canada. That is a no-go. The committee was not aware of this fact until after they voted, the schools were told, and the brackets were announced.

Within 30 minutes the committee was told of the problem and quickly changed it to ONU - just one flight. Right decision, sadly didn't get made without some issues.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

sac

I have been told there was some mistake on the NCAA's end.. though, I am not sure where in took place... but there was a clerical error somewhere.

Thanks for clearing that up.  At least my reservations in Geneseo are cancelable :)

Turns out... committee voted for Geneseo who was #1 in the East over ONU who was #2 in the Great Lakes. The problem came down to the fact the NCAA had indicated Hope could bus to Geneseo with the mileabe being below 500. What the software didn't tell anyone ... that was going through Canada. That is a no-go. The committee was not aware of this fact until after they voted, the schools were told, and the brackets were announced.

Within 30 minutes the committee was told of the problem and quickly changed it to ONU - just one flight. Right decision, sadly didn't get made without some issues.

Does this mean we can stop projecting Hope or Calvin in a New York pod in the future?

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: sac on March 06, 2017, 03:25:13 PM

Does this mean we can stop projecting Hope or Calvin in a New York pod in the future?

I think Calvin can get to Buffalo in under 500 and I'm pretty sure Hope can get to Fredonia, so it's not entirely out of the question.  I do think Rochester's out, though.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on March 06, 2017, 05:44:14 PM

I think Calvin can get to Buffalo in under 500 and I'm pretty sure Hope can get to Fredonia, so it's not entirely out of the question.  I do think Rochester's out, though.

How about if they just hermetically seal the buses as they traverse (non-stop, of course) Canada? ;D

Even better, how about if both countries (especially the USA) stop being so damned paranoid about college sports teams? ::)

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

We probably can stop doing that... and I believe our crew has stopped doing that. I know when I got a note about it a few years ago (something I have forgotten until now), I stopped hoping for it. There are some spots they can get to, but not all.

The real challenge is they can't assume everyone has their passports. Having lived on the Canadian border for a number of years in my life, I can tell you it is night and day different now. NCAA just can't assume those who don't live on the border understand all of this.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 06, 2017, 08:14:44 PM
Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on March 06, 2017, 05:44:14 PM

How about if they just hermetically seal the buses as they traverse (non-stop, of course) Canada? ;D

Even better, how about if both countries (especially the USA) stop being so damned paranoid about college sports teams? ::)

I grew up in northern Vermont - we went to Canada often - this was before the border was an actual obstacle for americans.  It was also largely before the EU got its act together, though, and we ran into some real trouble when we tried to bring the neighbors Spanish foreign exchange student to the Montreal zoo.  I wasn't too old, but I remember that being a difficult crossing.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

RogK

humor from an earlier era :
A college basketball team from Indiana is going by bus to a tournament in Canada and they stop at the border.
A customs agent boards the bus and asks, "Are you all Americans?"
"No, but we do have a couple of all-conference players."

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Crossing the Canadian border pre 9/11 was always more difficult than crossing the US. Where I lived, I usually knew (still know) those in Border Patrol at the checkpoint. I sometimes got waved through without having to stop. Canada would ask you all kinds of details. Now Canada is still tough, but the US side is ridiculous. My parents tell the story of talking to a friend of their's running the booth. They are chatting and then at the end he switched into a formal Q&A as if he didn't know them. My dad, curious, asked what that was all about. Their friend pointed to a camera above him and said, "as long as Boston is watching, I have to ask the formal questions even if I know you." (Not only a friend, but a patient of my father's.) My parents and everyone on the US side of the border had to get a passport-like, driver's license-like item for their wallet to cross back and forth. When we visit, we have to bring our passports including for the kids. Again... I used to cross back in like I was crossing a state (except for slowing down to go through the booths safely).

The NCAA can't assume players and coaches have passports for the "simple" task of crossing the US/Canadian border... and while people may wonder why that border is a concern... we can point to several terror attack ideas that were stopped at the border by US and Canadian authorities. There are still some in my parents area of DownEast Maine who think some of the terrorists on 9/11 came through that border checkpoint (since debunked, but still believed). This ain't the old days and thus... the NCAA has to act accordingly.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Just Bill

No Canada, no Lake Michigan ferries. Got it.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The Division III NCAA tournaments have already seen their fair share of twists and turns. Both defending champions eliminated on the opening night, several home teams beaten, off-the-radar squads tearing Top 10 teams apart, and much more.

It has been an exciting start. What's next?

Can the home teams parlay a perceived advantage into a Championship Weekend appearence? What Cinderalla team will hear the chimes of midnight? What program will continue to make history? How will the battle of Top 25 teams shake out? And will a storied career end this weekend or in Salem?

There is plenty to talk about ahead of the Sectional Weekend and Dave McHugh has a super-sized list of guests on Thursday night's Hoopsville.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch the show LIVE staring at 7:00 p.m. ET here: http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2016-17/mar9 --- or via the Facebook Live simulcast. If you missed any part of the show, you can watch it On Demand or listen to the podcast.

Despite the large list of guests, Dave will find time to answer questions as well. Make sure to email them to hoopsville@d3hoops.com or tweet them and Dave will answer them on air.

Guests scheduled (in order of appearance):
- Brian Morehouse, No. 18 Hope women's coach
- Trevor Woodruff, No. 17 Scranton women's coach
- Craig Carse, Hardin-Simmons men's coach
- Ruth Sinn, No. 2 St. Thomas women's coach
- Michelle Ferenz, No. 16 Whitman women's coach
- Kevin App, Williams men's coach
- Grey Giovanine, Augustana men's coach

You can also tune into the podcast(s) after the show has aired:
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/hoopsville/id1059517087

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville

RogK

By now, we all know that the whole D3 WBB season was RIGGED!
Four million ineligible players participated.
Gromacki Tower was wire-tapped.
The Tufts pregame meal was pasta with Putinesca sauce; it tasted terrible and the portions were too small.