Commonwealth Coast Conference

Started by Hoops Fan, March 01, 2005, 04:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoops Fan

I know a rare summer post for me, but here's the scoop on the new guy at EC.

Chris Millette, former Brandeis and Tufts assistant, apparently a hugely successful recruiter.  He was instrumental in bringing in that top freshmen class at Brandeis.  There's no word about his style or his game management, but the sidelines were never Plansky's strongsuit anyway.  Millette is only 28 years old, he's also spent time at UC-San Diego.

Plansky left to be Athletic Director at Marblehead High.

Hoops Fan

d3hoops is reporting and I've got some other confirmation that Wentworth landed Connecticut 1st team all-state PG Todd Doyle.  For a program like WIT, this is a big deal.  We'll see how he fits, maybe they can move P-B to the 2 spot where his lack of assists won't be such a liability.  It's still really early though, who knows who will be on the roster in November.

New England BBALL

looks like roger williams got themselves a great player for next year, Conrad Griffin one of the top players in Maine has apparently decided to go to RWU, this kid is extremely talented, turned down DII offers extending 1/2 way down the east coast (all the way to virginia).  a top 5 talent coming out of Maine, should make an immediate impact in the CCC and become a star by his 2nd year.  at 6'2-6'3 with exceptional leaping ability and great range, an ideal D3 swingman, what a steal for RWU

mustang23

How come RWU's PG Steve Morris never played. I have seen him play and he is an outstanding passer and can score and seems like a good kid.

Hoops Fan

As far as I know this summer, the EC job was the only one that came open and was filled by Brandeis' top recruiter.  I haven't heard of any others coming open in the CCC.

As far as recruits go, I've heard a lot of good things about what Wentworth is doing, but then again, the big boys like to keep things quiet until the season actually begins.

This off-season just feels longer and longer every year, but thankfully Pat is keeping us in the loop now with the Daily Dose.

I'll see you all for real come November.

Hoops Fan

Gordon and Wentworth have their 2005-2006 schedules out.  I expected Wentworth to keep with their weak non-conference schedule.  They might have done some of their best recruiting in a long time, but they do not want to be playing quality teams with their freshmen just yet.

Gordon, on the other hand, should have scheduled up to benefit from the expanded NCAA Tournament.  If two teams in the CCC can have seasons like EC and CSC last year, I would expect we could get an at large bid this season.  I don't think Gordon has a shot at any decent post-season action with the schedule they have rolled out.

Hoops Fan

I forgot to mention, ENC has a schedule up on their site, not a whole lot different than their traditional non-conference opponents, but they've been know to switch things up pretty dramatically between August and November.

NEC's posted sched looks pretty similar to 2004's with another trip to Bard.

RWU doesn't have a non-conference game scheduled after January 4th, but as usual, they have loaded their early season.  They got into the Brandeis tip-off tournament and scheduled Wheaton and WPI who will both be pretty good regionally.

Salve has dropped their non-conference schedule down a few notches, but its still better than most of the CCC and probably more fitting to their team that last year's walk of death.

No one else has any indication of schedule as of yet and we won't even sniff a roster until the first of November, most likely.

I hope this small amount of info can tide you all over until school starts again in full swing.

akirk

I don't have any information new recruits but with the returning cast minus one senior from last year, I think Gordon will put up a good fight.  They performed well in China this summer.  Hopefully the experience will allow their team game to take a big step forward this year.  We will see.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I think I'll wait until I see all the rosters and returners to make judgements, but GC is usually pretty good about not having guys bail on them.  Certainly they should be better than next year, so long as everyone comes back.

One thing I've learned though, watching the CCC for all these years, is that even if a team gets better, there's no guarantee they do better the next year.  Talent in this league comes in waves and you never see it coming until it hits you.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Not to confuse you faithful western posters.  We're still from New England, Pat just misplaced us in the move.  I don't mind.  It keeps us humble.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Ah... back where we belong.   Thanks Pat.  I really do like the new system.

john

have not seen who has got what for new people but csc will stiil be there but they need to fill in condon's spot.they still have the bench but lack of burke.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Obviously, things may change when we see rosters, but I have to believe CSC has got the strongest team going into the season.  They return the best talent with experience and chemistry.  It will be interesting to see if EC's new coach brought some impact recruits with him.  Brandeis' roster was pretty packed, so I'm sure he had some good leads on guys who didn't make the short list at his old school.  There will be a lot of questions about returning underclassmen, a lot of sophomores who put up good numbers last year.  I think the CCC is ready to make a bigger impact on the region, again, assuming they don't get killed with unexpected roster changes this fall.

broke_ya_ankles

I think i mentioned it before but ill say it one more time just to be sure....roger williams will in my opinion be the suprise team this year, they had a solid season last year, certainly nothing spectacular but with Parrish back for his JR season, Gumb coming off a fantastic freshmen campaign and at least 1 very very solid recruit who turned down DII offers to go to RWU.....this team will be in the mix of it, and unless endicott has some serious tricks up their sleaves RWU will likely give them a run for their money in the matchups as well as being in the thick of it with Gordon, the only team i think that has a clear advantage is CSC they should run away with it this year, endicott lost a lot and its tough to see how the new coach will fit with the players.....from there i dunno NEC might continue to improve as mason is a great coach, but they shouldnt be any better than top of the bottom half.....UNE will again likely be terrible they are a joke....thats all i really know about, figured id throw some discussion out there......OCT 15 is only weeks away!

akirk

Hey does anyone have info on new players this year?