New England Soccer Discussion

Started by Jim Matson, June 09, 2006, 12:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NEsoccerfan20

NSCAA All New England selections

First Team                       
Pos.   Player       Class       School   Hometown
K   Thomas Bull          Sr.         Amherst   Montgomery, N.J.
D   Cooper D'Ambrosio      Sr.         Eastern Connecticut State    Andover, Conn.
D   Conor Lanahan     Sr.         Brandeis   Avon, Conn.
D   Carter Ocko         Jr.         Endicott   Danvers, Mass.
D   Nabil Odulate          Sr.         Bowdoin   Ellicott City, Md.
D   Deklan RobInson     Sr.         Middlebury   Gloucester, Mass.
M   Sean Bingham         Sr.         Massachusetts Insititute of Technology   Garden City, N.Y.
M   Tyler Carlos         Sr.         Babson   Prospect, Conn.
M   Xavier Carty         Jr.         Johnson & Wales (R.I.)   Mount Vernon, N.Y.
M   Caleb Cole          Jr.         Gordon   Coatesville, Pa.
M   Patrik Devlin          Jr.         Connecticut College   Washington Crossing, Pa.
M   Tre Ming                 Sr.         Thomas (Maine)   Devonshire, Bermuda
M   Josh Ocel        Jr.       Brandeis   North Attleboro, Mass.
F   Greg Conrad        Jr.       Middlebury   Peabody, Mass.
F   Conor Murtagh       Sr.       Bridgewater State   Walpole, Mass.
F   Nico Pascuel-Leone     Sr.       Amherst   Wayland, Mass.

Second Team                           
K   Nick Weinstein         Jr.         Endicott   Trumball, Conn.
D   Christian Albrecht    Sr.         Norwich   Albuquerque, N.M.
D   Kevin Davis          Jr.         Wheaton (Mass.)   Beacon, N.Y.
D   Ben Gradert         So.         Gordon   Hudson, Ohio
M   Shintaroh Itoh         Sr         Endicott   Tokyo, Japan
M   Mohamed Kenawy   Fr         Massachusetts-Boston   Revere, Mass.
M   Jake Picard          Sr.         Brandeis   West Suffield, Conn.
M   Jake Tietgens         Sr.         Castleton   Stamford, Vt.
F   Abdulla Al Khalifa   Sr.         Endicott   Riffa, Bahrain
F   Luke Alvaro         Jr.         Springfield   Chicopee, Mass.
F   Pedro Dasilva          Sr         Massachusetts-Boston   Fogo, Cape Verde
F   Komla Dogbey       So.       Rhode Island College   Providence, R.I.
F   Adam Glaser        Jr.       Middlebury   Washington D.C.
F   Kareem Itani       Jr.       Massachusetts Insititute Of Technology   Dallas, Texas
F   Nathan Majumder    Jr.       Tufts   Williamstown, Mass.
F   Michael Skarbelis    So.       New England College   North Andover, Mass

Third Team                       
K   Gregory Sydor          Jr.         Middlebury   Madison, Conn.
D   Justin Aoyama         Jr.         Amherst   Narberth, Pa.
D   Geoff Danilack          Sr.         Williams College   Rockville, Md.
D   Andrew Gonzalez   Sr.         Babson   Durham, Conn.
D   Charlie Gruner          Jr.         Wesleyan   Stevenson, Md.
D   Robbie Lynch         Sr.         Brandeis   Weymouth, Mass.
D   Monil Patel         Sr.         Tufts   Niskayuna, N.Y.
M   Emmett Basaca   So.         Wentworth Institute of Technology   San Diego, Calif.
M   Austin Freel         Sr.         Massachusetts Insititute Of Technology   San Diego, Calif.
M   Tobias Gimand         Jr.         Trinity (Conn.)   Fairfield, Conn.
M   Noah Kossoff         Sr.         Wheaton (Mass.)   New York, N.Y.
F   Ian Hutchinson         Jr.         Daniel Webster   Litchfield, N.H.
F   Christopher Martin   Jr.       Amherst   Philadelphia, Pa.
F   Carlos Martinez   Sr.         Mount Ida    Newton, Mass.
F   Amarah Sesay         So.         Wheaton (Mass.)   New York, N.Y.
F   Denali Sexton         So.         Colby-Sawyer    Barrington, R.I.
F   Jacob Zimmerman    Jr.         Norwich   Litchfield, N.H.

Thoughts?

Jump4Joy

Endicott gets lots of love here. Why?
Congrats to all award winners.

Flying Weasel

Given the talk on this message board, it's shocking that Jason Payne wasn't 1st Team All-Region (and in the mix for All-American), so completely unsure what to think that he didn't even make any of the three teams.  Anyone have a theory?

NEsoccerfan20

Jump4Joy-

Having seen Endicott play multiple times I am not surprised.
Ocko was Co -defensive POY in the conference.
Weinstein transferred in from Bryant last spring and set all new school records and had the longest shutout streak in the nation going on 8 games. As well as ranking in top 20 in every GK category.

Al Khalifa scored 12 goals as well as some of the best I've seen at the collegiate level.

Itoh had 10 assists and 5 goals I believe.

Agree heavily on the first three selections for them, Itoh deserved it but also others could have been in.

Jump4Joy

NESF20: suggests they underperformed in NCAAs?

blooter442

Quote from: Flying Weasel on December 04, 2015, 08:32:27 AM
Given the talk on this message board, it's shocking that Jason Payne wasn't 1st Team All-Region (and in the mix for All-American), so completely unsure what to think that he didn't even make any of the three teams.  Anyone have a theory?

Just did not have a good enough season statistically. No matter how you spin it - and no doubt his teammates were guilty of fluffing chances when Kayne put them in good positions - 1 goal and 2 assists is not good enough, especially when you have All-American guys like Josh Ocel putting up 4 goals and 10 assists, and scoring three game-winners and assisting on six others. Kayne is the most attacking of the Tufts midfield three, but even Pinheiro's numbers were significantly better at 2 goals and 6 assists.

Personally, I like Kayne a lot as a player, and thought he could very well have been the best player in the NESCAC this fall, and at season's end I would have had him in my top three (only edged by NPL and Majumder), so was a bit surprised that he didn't get more recognition. However, I understand why he was perhaps overlooked.

Quote from: Jump4Joy on December 04, 2015, 02:28:39 PM
NESF20: suggests they underperformed in NCAAs?

They did not make NCAAs due to their poor SOS, but they were an NCAA-caliber team IMHO. Al Khalifa and Weinstein are legit.

NEsoccerfan20

Another interesting note I just found out... with the New England goalies... Sydor, Dacuhna and Weinstein all trained and played together at the same club in CT
All d1 keepers that transferred... pretty cool!

NEsoccerfan

Quote from: NEsoccerfan20 on December 04, 2015, 12:02:33 PM
Jump4Joy-

Having seen Endicott play multiple times I am not surprised.
Ocko was Co -defensive POY in the conference.
Weinstein transferred in from Bryant last spring and set all new school records and had the longest shutout streak in the nation going on 8 games. As well as ranking in top 20 in every GK category.

Al Khalifa scored 12 goals as well as some of the best I've seen at the collegiate level.

Itoh had 10 assists and 5 goals I believe.

Agree heavily on the first three selections for them, Itoh deserved it but also others could have been in.

I just don't see how that team deserves as many players on all NE as national champ Amherst or regional powerhouse Brandeis (4) and twice as many as Tufts (2).

NEsoccerfan20

NEsoccerfan

Agreed completely, the four chosen all were very deserving selections but it is weird to see Endicott have as many selections as other big dogs in the region who made runs in the NCAA tournament.

Mr.Right

Where did DaCahuna transfer from?  He is nowhere near a D1 goalie. Same with Endicott's GK. They are good D3 keepers but not D1's. I would like to see Conn improve their GK situation next year.

NEsoccerfan20

Mr. Right

Dacuhna from Fairfield U

Weinstein spent two seasons at Bryant

Both are quality GK's, what held them back big time was size at the D1 level.

Haven't seen much of Dacuhna at all but have watched Weinstein a fair amount this season.
Impressed me with distribution, communication, quickness and shot stopping, just being 5' 11 (generously) hurts him big time with aerial stuff.

Mr.Right

Yes the lack of size on those 2 GK'ers are the reason. The question being these days are these kids getting bad info in one ear about where they can play and contribute. Also, an ego thing kids WANT to play D1 even if it is lowly D1 Fairfield and Bryant are far from the Top 20. Someone needs to better advise these kids coming out that NO THEY ARE NOT GOOD enough to START at D1 Programs. Personally, I think Conn can do much better in net. They need a bigger GK

NEsoccerfan20

Seems like you've seen a lot of Dacuhna... what are main issues with him?
Have you seen Weinstein at all?

As I said have only seen Dacuhna once and Weinstein a few times but agree with the size factor. Both these kids came from a very good club in Beachside where a lot of D1 players came out of. Could be a bad trend and a force to go d1 on their behalves.

Mr.Right

Beachside is a GOOD club not a SUPERIOR club. I believe Trinity's Bednarik came from Beachside. I saw Weinstein once v Williams and he mad one superior save and was a quality GK in that game. He also seemed to have a solid back 4 in front of him. Endicott IMO was anemic up front and created next to nothing against Williams so that was my beef with them. They were certainly athletic at the back.

Conn's DaCahuna is a generous 5'11 and to me just does not command his box well enough. He makes great saves and then gives up soft goals. He did have an inexperienced backline infront of him in 2015 but had a very experienced one in 2014 and he was awful IMO in 2014. A 5'11 GK better be quick like a cat and athletic, agile and have good hops. He also better have great reaction reflex..Think Alcorn or Greenwood. DaCahuna to me is a step slow in all those regards. He would not be a GK I would recruit. Just my opinion

NEsoccerfan20

Beachside had Bednarik, Gimand from Trinity
Sydor, Weinstein and Dacuhna

Agreed on Endicott... Had an excellent athletic back line, not big guys but bulldogs in the back, returning everyone for next season so they will be tough to break down.

Agree with Dacuhna makes some incredible saves but gives up some softies.

How is Amherst GK situation for next season?

Overall I thought the three all-region selections were well deserved Bull a no brainer first team and all american, Weinstein deserved it and so did Sydor.