MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue_jays

Quote from: Titan Q on February 10, 2013, 08:18:14 AM
A little Lunch with the UAA today.  Rochester @ Wash U at noon - http://client.stretchinternet.com/client/wustl.portal#

The UAA standings look like this through Friday's games:

Rochester 9-1
Wash U 7-3
Brandeis 7-3
Emory 6-4
Chicago 4-6
NYU 3-7
Case Western Reserve 3-7
Carnegie Mellon 1-9

After this game, Wash U will have left: @ NYU, @ Brandeis, vs Chicago.  Rochester will have: vs Carnegie Mellon, vs Case, @ Emory.

Rochester 6-0 senior guard John DiBartolomeo is on the short list of candidates for D3 Player of the Year.  His stats:

23.0 points per game
5.8 rebounds per game
5.6 assists per game

3-point shooting: 50-96 (.521)
FT shooting: 145-158 (.918)

That 52% 3-point shooting mark leads Division III right now.

Saw DiBartolomeo in person on Friday at Chicago, and he did not play at all like a D3 Player of the Year. Chicago game planned for him, he shot poorly and made very little impact on the game (10 points, most of which came on free throws). In fact, key stretches of the second half saw him on the bench. That's not POY quality IMO. However, he is a no doubt All-American with those stats. He's a poor man Steve Djurickovic: exploits his superior athleticism to get to the free throw line a lot and hits a high percentage of shots, scoring point guard who brings the ball up and whole offense runs through him.

Titan Q

Quote from: blue_jays on February 10, 2013, 09:46:13 AM
Saw DiBartolomeo in person on Friday at Chicago, and he did not play at all like a D3 Player of the Year. Chicago game planned for him, he shot poorly and made very little impact on the game (10 points, most of which came on free throws). In fact, key stretches of the second half saw him on the bench. That's not POY quality IMO. However, he is a no doubt All-American with those stats. He's a poor man Steve Djurickovic: exploits his superior athleticism to get to the free throw line a lot and hits a high percentage of shots, scoring point guard who brings the ball up and whole offense runs through him.

But to be fair, it's not reasonable to evaluate a player from just one game.  Based on his numbers, that was clearly a sub-par game.

I've never seen him - looking forward to the Wash U game today.

Titan Q

Impressive stat...

Augustana lost its 6th game last night, meaning that the best the Vikings can do is 8-6 in the league.  That breaks a 12-year run of CCIW records of 9-5 or better (2000-01 through 2011-12).  The run started in Grey Giovanine's second year.

9-5+ for 12 years...that's really hard to do.

kiko

Augie is the only team that has been in the conference tournament every year that it has been held.  It's impressive that they're potentially in the field again this year given how young they are.

I am confused about one thing on this:

Quote from: Titan Q on February 10, 2013, 09:34:32 AM
Conference tournament picture...

Illinois Wesleyan 12-0 (vs Millikin, @ North Central)
North Central 9-3 (vs North Park, vs IWU)
Wheaton 8-4 (vs Carthage, @ Elmhurst)
Augustana 6-6 (@ Elmhurst, vs Millikin)
Carthage 6-6 (@ Wheaton, @ North Park)

IWU is locked into the 1-seed...and seems like a real safe bet that NCC and Wheaton will be the 2/3 game.  While Augie and Carthage are tied at 6-6, the Vikings own the tie-breaker over the Red Men (via the sweep)...so the lead is essentially two games.

You say Augie has a two-game lead given that they own the tiebreaker over Carthage.  I see that as a one game lead instead of a tie.  If Carthage wins out -- admittedly this would take a surprise win at Wheaton -- then they can gain access to the tourney if Augie slips in the final two games.

You weren't willing to write the Titans into a conference title and hosting gig until it was essentially mathematically clinched, and I would take the same mindset were I a member of Titan Nation.  But if that's the standard, I think it is a bit quick to say the tourney field is set.

Titan Q

Quote from: kiko on February 10, 2013, 01:09:00 PM
You say Augie has a two-game lead given that they own the tiebreaker over Carthage.  I see that as a one game lead instead of a tie.  If Carthage wins out -- admittedly this would take a surprise win at Wheaton -- then they can gain access to the tourney if Augie slips in the final two games.

You weren't willing to write the Titans into a conference title and hosting gig until it was essentially mathematically clinched, and I would take the same mindset were I a member of Titan Nation.  But if that's the standard, I think it is a bit quick to say the tourney field is set.

Sorry, yes, one-game lead essentially...not two.

AndOne

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on February 09, 2013, 10:30:48 PM
Congratulations to Tyler Pierce, who hit 1,000 points tonight.  He is one BIG dude - looked on the videocast like Charles Barkley!

The reason Mr. Pierce made the 1,000 point plateau is because he is not as BIG as he used to be. He was an all conference player as a 230 pound freshman. As a sophomore, he "blossomed" to 290 pound butterball who took a half hour to squeeze into his uniform, and then lumbered up and down the court 3 or 4 times before having to be taken out for a rest before the paramedics had to be called. He earned nicknames like "Michelin Man" and "Gordo." His skill level, playing time, and productivity decreased in direct proportion to his increased corpulence.
He "trimmed down" to about 275 last year, but still saw his PT and productivity suffer. Last summer, his commitment to getting into batter shape became evident as he was noticeably "thinner" and moved pretty well during summer league action. This season, he looks to be about 255-260. He is combining a nice touch for a man his size, aggressiveness, and a noticeable ability to get up and down the floor with less effort to mold a very nice season in which he is averaging 11.6 ppg, and playing much more like he did as a freshman rather than during his rather embarrassing soph and junior campaigns.
Congratulations to Mr. Pierce on his weight loss, his increased level of play, and upon reaching the noteworthy achievement of becoming a member of the 1,000 point club. Nice job.

USee

I am still thinking the Titans are going to go 14-0. I really don't see them losing to Millikin (barring a football homecoming type debacle of a few years ago!) setting up a huge 1 v 2 game in Naperville for the finale. If that game means the Titans have a chance at 14-0, I think they find a way to win at the hangar in what is likely to be the hardest fought, most intense game that has the smallest significance for this season. Essentially IWU will have sown up the #1 seed for the conference tourney, these two may well play each other again less than a week later for the NCAA automatic bid, and IWU won't have much to play for (they are a lock for the playoffs no matter what) other than an undefeated conference season. NCC will be fighting for their Pool C position in that game as well having already determined the seeding for the tourney.

D-3 watcher

USee ,I disagree , the final game vs NCC, and the CCIW tourney are huge for IWU. If they are able to win out, they might not have to leave the Shirk until Salem.
They proved last year that road games are winnable, as did NCC, but home games are nice. It's been a while since the Shirk has hosted a men's NCAA tourney game.

AndOne

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 09, 2013, 11:14:15 PM
Triple overtime final from the crackerbox:

Elmhurst 102
North Park 100

And here's where it got controversial.

Mau Cason, NPU's old nemesis whom Paul Brenegan blocked from reffing any more games at North Park following a controversial ending to an IWU @ NPU game several years ago, was once again the official on the spot in a highly-disputed call. Cassita took the inbounds pass about ten feet out from the sideline in front of the Elmhurst bench, and Ackerman ran over to immediately foul him. However, he hit Cassita while the Vikings senior was in mid-air, and Cassita alertly turned his body to the basket and took a shot before he came down. Cason, however, ruled that he was not in the act of shooting, thereby entitling Cassita to only two FTs instead of the three it would require to tie the game. It made no sense. If Cassita had been anywhere in the vicinity of the basket, Cason and every other ref in the world would've called it a shooting foul, because Zach clearly got the ball out of his hands in a shooting motion before he came down. But, presumably because Cassita was so far away from the basket, Mau Cason declined to see it that way. The vehement protests of the NPU coaching staff and Cassita himself notwithstanding, the other two officials (John Hodel and Ken Falkner) declined to overrule Mau, so Cassita was awarded two free throws in a game in which his team trailed by three with two seconds left. Methinks it'll be another good long while before we see Mau do another game in the crackerbox.

So the game was officiated by the "Walking Dead" crew.
The combined ages of see no evil, hear no evil, and speak no evil Mau Cason, John Hodel, and Ken Faulkner must be about 308. They all should have retired to the Referees Rest Home several years ago.

Here they are during their pre-game meeting in the ref's locker room yesterday, going over their game plan for the Elmhurst/NPU contest.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-SB3z9lm8VHE/T8LI2syfnHI/AAAAAAAAABQ/8pRP8XrEbwE/s1600/Hear+no+evil,+See+no+evil,+Speak+no+evil.jpg

bopol

Went to Carthage - IWU last night.

Short of it was that IWU looked awesome.  Excellent defense, passing, rebounding and shooting.  Carthage hung in there for the first half, but got destroyed in the second when they couldn't buy a shot and they had never stopped IWU on offense in the first half anyway.

Only Tyler Pierce had a good game (IMO) for Carthage last night. 

Titan Q

Quote from: USee on February 10, 2013, 01:48:14 PM
I am still thinking the Titans are going to go 14-0. I really don't see them losing to Millikin (barring a football homecoming type debacle of a few years ago!) setting up a huge 1 v 2 game in Naperville for the finale. If that game means the Titans have a chance at 14-0, I think they find a way to win at the hangar in what is likely to be the hardest fought, most intense game that has the smallest significance for this season. Essentially IWU will have sown up the #1 seed for the conference tourney, these two may well play each other again less than a week later for the NCAA automatic bid, and IWU won't have much to play for (they are a lock for the playoffs no matter what) other than an undefeated conference season. NCC will be fighting for their Pool C position in that game as well having already determined the seeding for the tourney.

I believe every game through the conference tournament will have a lot of significance for IWU.  While the Titans should be in good shape now in terms of getting in the tournament (good Pool C shape), there is a lot on the line in terms of seeding.

The NCAA tournament is very different this year, as has been discussed several times - http://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2012/07/2013-tournament-spread-out.

Where we're used to having 4-team pods on back-to-back weekends, and inevitably some powerhouse match ups in this part of the country as early as Round 2 (IWU @ #1 Wash U in 2010, IWU @ #1 Hope 2012), I see this year quite a bit different.  In the first 3 rounds you have:

* Single game (Sat 3/2)
* Single game (Sat 3/9)
* Single game (Sat 3/16)

Three wins and you're in Salem.

Essentially, the national committee is building 8 brackets, with the winners advancing to Salem.  Looking at the Week 1 regional rankings provides a little idea of what the 8 brackets could look like - http://www.d3blogs.com/d3hoops/.

For the #1 seeds, the path to Salem is basically 3 homes games, with the toughest being the Round 3 game vs the #2 seed - for example, IWU vs Transylvania at the Shirk Center.  Winner goes to Salem.

As I'm looking at this, there is even more of a premium on the #1 seed this year. That's why I see every single game being really big from here on out for IWU.  Big difference in IWU vs Transylvania (or North Central, Wash U, etc) at Shirk Center vs playing that game on the road.

Titan Q

As I'm thinking about this one-year tournament setup, it seems that the Round 4 game will have a different look as well. 

Once in Salem, since everyone is under one roof, there is no automatic need to have the bracket matched up geographically.  In other words, the way the tournament usually works, a CCIW team alive in Round 4 (the Elite 8 game - IWU vs Wittenberg last year) is most likely going to see the WIAC, or a Great Lakes team -- someone "in the neighborhood."  This year, you could see the team that comes out of the Midwest face, say, Ramapo (East #1) in Round 4 on Friday in Salem.  Winner goes to the national semifinal game the next night in Salem.

The committee might be able to basically seed the regions when they build the bracket (based on how they evaluate the #1 team in each region at the time of selection).  So the 8-team tournament in Salem could be:

Friday in Salem
- Region #1 vs Region #8
- Region #2 vs Region #7
- Region #3 vs Region #6
- Region #4 vs Region #5

Saturday in Salem
Region #1 vs Region #4
Region #2 vs Region #3

This is going to be a lot different.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: blue_jays on February 10, 2013, 09:46:13 AM
Quote from: Titan Q on February 10, 2013, 08:18:14 AM
A little Lunch with the UAA today.  Rochester @ Wash U at noon - http://client.stretchinternet.com/client/wustl.portal#

The UAA standings look like this through Friday's games:

Rochester 9-1
Wash U 7-3
Brandeis 7-3
Emory 6-4
Chicago 4-6
NYU 3-7
Case Western Reserve 3-7
Carnegie Mellon 1-9

After this game, Wash U will have left: @ NYU, @ Brandeis, vs Chicago.  Rochester will have: vs Carnegie Mellon, vs Case, @ Emory.

Rochester 6-0 senior guard John DiBartolomeo is on the short list of candidates for D3 Player of the Year.  His stats:

23.0 points per game
5.8 rebounds per game
5.6 assists per game

3-point shooting: 50-96 (.521)
FT shooting: 145-158 (.918)

That 52% 3-point shooting mark leads Division III right now.

I was at that game, too, and I'll echo what blue_jays said. One other resemblance DiBartolomeo has to Stevie D. is that he knows how to initiate contact when he shoots and then bounce off of the contact in such a way as to make it appear that he was the victim rather than the aggressor, thus drawing the shooting foul. It's a trick that very, very few players even attempt to master, let alone actually master, and DiBartolomeo is evidently very good at it. One of the reasons why he wasn't able to do it much against Chicago is that the Maroons guards are both quick and smart. After DiBartolomeo suckered them with a Stevie D. move once early in the game, whichever Chicago guard was on him at the time (usually Royce Muskeyvalley or Wayne Simon) backed off of him immediately to give him space while he was in mid-air.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Titan Q

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 10, 2013, 02:41:07 PM
I was at that game, too, and I'll echo what blue_jays said. One other resemblance DiBartolomeo has to Stevie D. is that he knows how to initiate contact when he shoots and then bounce off of the contact in such a way as to make it appear that he was the victim rather than the aggressor, thus drawing the shooting foul. It's a trick that very, very few players even attempt to master, let alone actually master, and DiBartolomeo is evidently very good at it. One of the reasons why he wasn't able to do it much against Chicago is that the Maroons guards are both quick and smart. After DiBartolomeo suckered them with a Stevie D. move once early in the game, whichever Chicago guard was on him at the time (usually Royce Muskeyvalley or Wayne Simon) backed off of him immediately to give him space while he was in mid-air.

Wash U boatraced Rochester today in St. Louis...

http://bearsports.wustl.edu/Stats/TeamStats/basketball-mens/2012-2013/game22.htm

I wasn't the least bit impressed with either Rochester or Johnny Basketball.  DiBartolomeo had 19 pts, but I didn't see a Kent Raymond or Steve Djurickovic.

Just one game I realize, but wow...not sure what I saw there from Rochester.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: AndOne on February 10, 2013, 02:17:05 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 09, 2013, 11:14:15 PM
Triple overtime final from the crackerbox:

Elmhurst 102
North Park 100

And here's where it got controversial.

Mau Cason, NPU's old nemesis whom Paul Brenegan blocked from reffing any more games at North Park following a controversial ending to an IWU @ NPU game several years ago, was once again the official on the spot in a highly-disputed call. Cassita took the inbounds pass about ten feet out from the sideline in front of the Elmhurst bench, and Ackerman ran over to immediately foul him. However, he hit Cassita while the Vikings senior was in mid-air, and Cassita alertly turned his body to the basket and took a shot before he came down. Cason, however, ruled that he was not in the act of shooting, thereby entitling Cassita to only two FTs instead of the three it would require to tie the game. It made no sense. If Cassita had been anywhere in the vicinity of the basket, Cason and every other ref in the world would've called it a shooting foul, because Zach clearly got the ball out of his hands in a shooting motion before he came down. But, presumably because Cassita was so far away from the basket, Mau Cason declined to see it that way. The vehement protests of the NPU coaching staff and Cassita himself notwithstanding, the other two officials (John Hodel and Ken Falkner) declined to overrule Mau, so Cassita was awarded two free throws in a game in which his team trailed by three with two seconds left. Methinks it'll be another good long while before we see Mau do another game in the crackerbox.

So the game was officiated by the "Walking Dead" crew.
The combined ages of see no evil, hear no evil, and speak no evil Mau Cason, John Hodel, and Ken Faulkner must be about 308. They all should have retired to the Referees Rest Home several years ago.

Here they are during their pre-game meeting in the ref's locker room yesterday, going over their game plan for the Elmhurst/NPU contest.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-SB3z9lm8VHE/T8LI2syfnHI/AAAAAAAAABQ/8pRP8XrEbwE/s1600/Hear+no+evil,+See+no+evil,+Speak+no+evil.jpg

I don't have a problem with John or Ken. I think that they're good refs. Yes, they miss calls from time to time, but what refs don't?

(And I don't say that as an NPU partisan. Yesterday there were five contact calls in the lane and outside the charge circle, EC driving and NPU defending, that were basically 50/50 coin flips as to whether or not they'd be called a block or a charge. Four were called NPU blocking fouls, one was called an EC charging foul.)

Mau? I've got a problem with him. I dread seeing him in stripes when I walk into a gym, even if it's, say, King Arena for an Augustana vs. Wheaton game. I just know that he's going to royally screw up at least one important call in every game he officiates.

Quote from: Titan Q on February 10, 2013, 02:45:41 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 10, 2013, 02:41:07 PM

Wash U boatraced Rochester today in St. Louis...

http://bearsports.wustl.edu/Stats/TeamStats/basketball-mens/2012-2013/game22.htm

I wasn't the least bit impressed with either Rochester or Johnny Basketball.  DiBartolomeo had 19 pts, but I didn't see a Kent Raymond or Steve Djurickovic.

Just one game I realize, but wow...not sure what I saw there from Rochester.

I want to be clear on this: I'm not equating DiBartolomeo with Stevie D. or Raymond or anybody else. I'm simply saying that he's mastered the same foul-drawing trick that was Stevie D.'s signature move. I agreed with blue_jays that he's a poor man's Steve Djurickovic.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell