FB: Middle Atlantic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:15:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill

Bobby Acosta as next HC at Widener? Any news out there other than football scoop?
"To build may have to be the slow and laborious task of years. To destroy can be the thoughtless act of a single day."

PBR...

Quote from: bill on January 23, 2013, 11:16:35 AM
Bobby Acosta as next HC at Widener? Any news out there other than football scoop?

Pretty impressive creds...

http://www.widenerpride.com/news/2013/1/22/FB_0122133034.aspx

Pat Coleman

The D3football coaching carousel work for you?
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Jonny Utah

Quote from: PBR... on January 23, 2013, 02:19:15 PM

Pretty impressive creds...

http://www.widenerpride.com/news/2013/1/22/FB_0122133034.aspx

Says he coached the Deleware WRs/TEs when Flacco was there in 2008. 

Is it me or does it seem like Flacco has been in the league for like 10 years now?

PBR...

Interesting...seeing lots of smoke that the Big10 is courting Johns Hopkins for Lax....and JHU is not denying it. Sounds also like the Big Least is offering JHU to hop on board. With Maryland joining the Big10 and Penn St. screaming up the rankings with new coach and facilities sounds like JHU Lax will be moving on up....Will be interesting to see if this then encourages others to seek to move up as well... http://insidelacrosse.com/news/2013/01/17/hopkins-draft

Jonny Utah

Quote from: PBR... on January 30, 2013, 08:31:21 AM
Interesting...seeing lots of smoke that the Big10 is courting Johns Hopkins for Lax....and JHU is not denying it. Sounds also like the Big Least is offering JHU to hop on board. With Maryland joining the Big10 and Penn St. screaming up the rankings with new coach and facilities sounds like JHU Lax will be moving on up....Will be interesting to see if this then encourages others to seek to move up as well... http://insidelacrosse.com/news/2013/01/17/hopkins-draft

The interesting thing about this is that D1 lax programs go through what a lot of d3football programs have to deal with.  How to manipulate the AQ system to their schools benefit.  Find a league with a small amount of teams, find a schedule which benefits you, stay independent and know that you will get a pool B over other teams, get in an AQ league that you can dominate, etc, etc.

D1 schools have the money to change leagues around more than d3 teams can, so it is interesting to watch these schools jump around leagues all the time.

PBR...

Quote from: Jonny "Utes" Utah on January 30, 2013, 11:19:11 AM
Quote from: PBR... on January 30, 2013, 08:31:21 AM

The interesting thing about this is that D1 lax programs go through what a lot of d3football programs have to deal with.  How to manipulate the AQ system to their schools benefit.  Find a league with a small amount of teams, find a schedule which benefits you, stay independent and know that you will get a pool B over other teams, get in an AQ league that you can dominate, etc, etc.

D1 schools have the money to change leagues around more than d3 teams can, so it is interesting to watch these schools jump around leagues all the time.

Yup...exactly...what is really driving this is the big10 has been trying to get uva/unc to come over with maryland. This will help that cause. Johns Hopkins just got a 1 billion dollar gift from mike bloomberg and will get more later on from him. Plus Johns Hopkins will get a percentage of the almost $30 million each big 10 school gets from the big ten tv channel annually...

PBR...

Just heard great news about DVC and its facilities. Major renovation to the football stadium. Included will be a synthetic turf field, multi lane track and lights for night time competitions. Hoping to complete the first phase by this fall. Made possible by donation from an alumni....excellent news.

jmcozenlaw

PBR - More news to follow about a few other athletic related upgrades as well!!!

PBR...

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on February 01, 2013, 07:49:50 PM
PBR - More news to follow about a few other athletic related upgrades as well!!!

There is lots of upgrades and new things going forward. I was waiting for the timeline of how its all going to be done. As it stands now phase 1A will be the new synthetic turf field and lights going in so they are ready before the fall sports start. This will make the current track around the field unusable (which it kinda is already...long story). They are going to put a temporary jogging track around the field for the near term. This new field will allow field hockey/soccer/lax/football all to play as well as play as night which helps with scheduling as well as intramural sports. Phase 1B will be the upgrade to the stands including the visitor stands. Also the press box/multi media boxes/coaches boxes will get upgrades and a trustees box will be put in for entertaining. Phase 2 will be on the other side of the railroad tracks. Another synthetic field will be installed. A ncaa regulation track with spectator seating will be installed. Will allow the college to host competitions and invitationals.

jmcozenlaw

We're kind of hearing the same things PBR. I was hearing a few things about upgrades to the gymnasium a while back but after visiting local gyms such as Eastern, Arcadia, DeSales, etc........many DIII gyms are worse than most high school gyms. DelVal's gym isn't that bad compared to many DIII gyms. I'm also hearing about an interesting discussion going back and forth about making a real push forward on the lacrosse front and also an onsite swimming complex as an addition to a reconfigured athletic complex (knowing the footprint.......can't figure that one out for the life of me:)

As far as the visiting stands for the football stadium.......I've sat on the visitors side at Muhlenberg, Wilkes, FDU, etc. and they are all bad:) I would love a football complex like the new one's at Muhlenberg and Albright or the upgrade done at Moravian almost a decade ago........but will settle for anything at this point.

Dr. Brosnan is an excellent President and I'm glad he's committed to the long term to see the many academic and athletic changes/upgrades through to the end.

My "insiders" tell me that the football team has a few transfers already in the classroom in the second semester and are hot on the trail of a few very significant transfers come August (a la K.C. Keeler back in the day:) We'll have to see how much of that actually comes to fruition.

PBR...

The swimming pool idea has been batted around for years. They really need a new athletic complex with weight room training. Not sure if they could shoe horn that in the center of campus or would have to be built out towards the new athletic fields across the railroad tracks. They might be able to expand on the existing gym and make it a large athletic complex in the center of campus if they knocked down 1-2 existing buildings. Which I wouldn't mind as the existing buildings are old and IMHO would make the campus that much more attractive to get rid of them and put something new up. But who knows we shall see...Most things as usual are limited in scale by $$$$ so DVC is very lucky an alumni is picking up the tab for the new field. The stands and press box need to be fixed which they will be and they need the new track as well. I don't think they are pushing lax too much at this point (I could be wrong), but they are club sports for now and I don't see too much emphasis being put on them until the rest of these upgrades are done.

Warren Thompson

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on February 03, 2013, 11:04:33 AM
My "insiders" tell me that the football team has a few transfers already in the classroom in the second semester and are hot on the trail of a few very significant transfers come August (a la K.C. Keeler back in the day:) We'll have to see how much of that actually comes to fruition.

Where do these transfers come from? JUCOs? D3 venues? D1 venues?

jmcozenlaw

So far on campus.......two from D2 schools. Hot on the trail of JUCO the JV played this year, another couple D2's and a D1-AA (refuse to call it FCS) and a possible D1 coming back home.

One never knows until August though.

bman

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on February 03, 2013, 11:04:33 AM

Is that really something to be excited about?

Seems to me Rowan that Rowan was looked down on for many years for their propensity to bring in step down transfers...