MBB: Upper Midwest Athletic Conference

Started by bethelguy, October 04, 2004, 02:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bethelguy

Pat or anyone with knowledge on this.  

How long are the schools entering D3 in "provisional" status.  I think I read correctly that they are not eligible for NCAA tournament play for 4 seasons.  But at what point will games vs. these teams count as a regional game.  

For intance UM-Morris was provisional last season.  Bethel had them on their schedule and is going to play them again this year.  Do games like this not count until their 4 years are up or at what point will they count?

Pat Coleman

It's the same length. When the provisional period is over, after the end of the fourth year, then all appropriate games therafter will count as regional games.

Scott Ludwig

OK, I see several members of the UMAC listed on this site now.  Actually all but Northland College are listed.  I think that is great!

I know some of the schools were scheduled to begin their provisional status, but I am unsure about a few.

Here is when I thought schools were starting provisional status:

2003-04
UM-Morris

2004-05
Crown College, Presentation College

2005-06
Bethany Lutheran, Northwestern College

???
Martin Luther College, Northland College, St. Scholastica

Can anyone confirm this or explain?  As I understand it, these teams are not officially full D3 members or eligible for D3 postseason for 4 seasons of provisional status.

Pat Coleman

Northland is on this site. They are in the West region with the rest of them.  

Martin Luther, Nortland and St. Scholastica actually are already NCAA Division III members. However, they are also NAIA members, and in the past they have chosen to declare for the NAIA postseason, making them ineligible for the NCAA's.

To my understanding, Martin Luther and Northland are declaring NCAA this year, but St. Scholastica is still declaring NAIA. They can change their minds up until sometime in midseason.

bethelguy

I see that on the regional pages, you have Northland counted as regional games but not Martin Luther.  Do you have to wait to verify what ML declares for postseason before they are counted as regional games?

Pat Coleman

Yes, that's correct. But they'll be retroactive, if they do.

NWC Andrew

For anybody interested in the UMAC this weekends games brought my team, the Northwestern Eagles back in position to win the conference outright on Tuesday night at Crown.  With a pair of Road wins at Northland and St. Scholastica combined with the big upset of UM-Morris by Bethany Lutheran, Northwestern is in position to host the Men's and Women's UMAC conference tournaments this weekend at the Ericksen Center.

This years conference tournament may be more of battle for pride as a berth in the NAIA national tournament is no longer at stake as the UMAC moves to the NCAA.  Northwestern is in position to host the NAIA independent regional this year featuring teams such as Colorado's Johnson and Wales and Indiana Northwest.

Ryan Coleman

I pulled some video on the Minnesota Morris student, Rick Rose, who died today in the postgame celebrations following their OT defeat of Crown. Length: 1:06.
Click here to watch (requires Windows Media Player).
--
Ryan Coleman
Publisher, d3photography.com

Photo store | X | Mastodon | Patreon

TC

St. John's Football: Ordinary people doing ordinary things extraordinarily well.

WWW.JOHNNIEFOOTBALL.COM

Ralph Turner

I have found the NCAA website that chronicles the progress of the provisional members in the NCAA.

Provisionals

Active Membership --
2008-09:   Bethany Lutheran, Crown MN, U Maine-Presque Isle, Mount Aloysius, Mount Mary*, Northwestern College, PSU-Berks, SUNY-Purchase, Salem
2009-10:  Mitchell, North Central University, Presentation,
2010-11:  La Sierra, Lancaster Bible PA, Lincoln Christian College and Seminary, Lyndon State VT, St Vincent PA, SUNY Morrisville

Reclassifying from D2 to D3:

Active Membership --

2008-09: UM-Morris

Beginning Reclassification Process 2007-08:

2007-08: Birmingham-Southern  (from D1, active in 2011-12),  UM-Crookston (from D2)

Corrected -- February 13, 2008 (It looks like the UMAC gets its Pool A bids in 2010-11.)  *Mount Mary is in its fifth year with conditions.

AO

Congratulations to William Maupins on getting drafted in the CBA Draft!   I hope he tears it up for the Explorers as he has done for the Saints the past couple years.

d3bballfollower

so I think we need to get some more convo going on this board...how about early early early conference standing predictions...

1.  NWC-  Discher, Strelecki and company are too good for the rest of the UMAC
2.  Bethany Lutheran-  Lose Mayfield, but bring in transfer Andy Wills
3.  Presentation-  lots of talent coming back with Ward, Kurtz and Heim and Coach Sevareid brings new enthusiasm to the Saints program
4.  UMM-  McNally and Dalbey are going to be tough to stop...losing Farmer to River Falls hurts (with him they would've been a top 2 team)
5.  St. Scholastica-  return some talent, but who will step in to Maupins' shoes
6.  Marlin Luther- don't know much about them
7.  Northland-  is better than Crown
8.  Crown-  heard rumors about some good recruits, but we will have to see if they can keep from going 0fer again this year in conference play

any other thoughts?
"A true champion is someone bent over, drenched with sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is looking."

d3bballfollower

the season is officially here...some stories to pay attention to...

the Sevrareid era begins today in Aberdeen...
Discher for POY?
who will fill Will Maupins' shoes for Scholastica
McNally and the Cougs have a chance, but they need to be on their game from day 1...
how many games will Crown win in conference?

any other interesting storylines?
"A true champion is someone bent over, drenched with sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is looking."

Hoopology300

I was just wondering why you think presentation is ranked so high this year? They were ok last year but jumping to 3? not sure bout that. And Crown how do you know they got new recruits? They were 0 in conf games how they get any recruits?  How did you hear about them getting new guys? NW should be num 1 cause they are returning their whole team.

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.