MBB: Colonial States Athletic Conference

Started by Coach C, April 08, 2005, 02:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mailsy

A higher likelyhood, then, they will be leaving the CSAC for the new conference.
Cabrini Cavaliers 2012 National Runner-Up.
First official poster on the Atlantic East forum board.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

From what I have been told from sources on this... Rosemont has expressed interest in joining this conference, but so far have had their inquiries rebuffed. Maybe in the future they may join, but at this time they aren't part of the eight who are formerly making up this conference.

Their announcement of new sports could be for a number of reasons: help the CSAC solidify AQs in sports that now could be in jeopardy; make themselves more interesting for this new conference; bring in more enrollment to the school. Heck, a combination of those reasons could be the actual reason.

I don't think the CSAC is going to be in trouble. They can pick up schools to solidify things. They can even think about changing their bylaws to allow public schools to shore up their numbers even more. The conference to worry about is the CAC.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

mailsy

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on June 14, 2017, 03:21:51 PM
From what I have been told from sources on this... Rosemont has expressed interest in joining this conference, but so far have had their inquiries rebuffed. Maybe in the future they may join, but at this time they aren't part of the eight who are formerly making up this conference.

Their announcement of new sports could be for a number of reasons: help the CSAC solidify AQs in sports that now could be in jeopardy; make themselves more interesting for this new conference; bring in more enrollment to the school. Heck, a combination of those reasons could be the actual reason.

I don't think the CSAC is going to be in trouble. They can pick up schools to solidify things. They can even think about changing their bylaws to allow public schools to shore up their numbers even more. The conference to worry about is the CAC.

Is this because York and SoVA might be leaving? I can see the CSAC siphoning off teams from the NEAC to keep the AQs.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

We know - and reported - that Southern Virginia has been courted by the Old Dominion Athletic Conference (or visa versa) to join them mainly because of football. From what I have been told, it started out with three teams and is down to two with Southern Virginia being one of them. A decision will be made soon from the ODAC on whether to offer another school a position in the conference and who that will be (according to sources it is down to Southern Virginia or Averett, but I am not sure of where it goes beyond that; the eliminated school was Ferrum).

York has to be nervous. I know they have been loyal to the CAC, but even if Southern Virginia stays, they would be one of two private institutions in the conference. I suspect that while rumors have said they have wanted out for years... this may force their hand (they have had offers in the past, but not taken them or had those offers taken off the table according to a source).

The CAC very easily could be left with just Salisbury, St. Mary's, Christopher Newport, Mary Washington, PSU-Harrisburg, Frostburg. And if you look at the landscape and the geography... they have nothing left to pull from. Maybe TCNJ or Rowan is fed up with the NJAC and leaves... but I doubt it. The CAC certainly isn't going to entice any privates to join them. The CSAC will absolutely pull from the NEAC, for the most part. It just leaves very vew options for the CAC.

I have been worrying for over a month as I have worked on this story that the CAC could easily end up splintering and disolving. Heck, there are some who fear one of the CAC schools may even look to DII to get out of this mess - though, that feels doubtful for me.

We shall see what happens, but in terms of keeping conferences running... the CAC is the one that I see having the biggest problems here.

(If S. Virginia doesn't go to the ODAC and York feels like staying as a result, the CAC could have stopped the bleeding; those two schools have some important decisions to make or be made that will directly impact the future of the CAC.)
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

mailsy

Dave, Thanks for the info and insight. +1

mailsy

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

mailsy

Happy 4th of July to all my fellow posters!

kate

Happy Fourth to you, too, Mailsy and everyone out there on D3 Hoops!

mailsy

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: mailsy on August 31, 2017, 05:08:00 PM
Bryn Athyn and Wilson join the CSAC for 2018.

http://csacsports.com/news/2017/8/30/baseball-csac-adds-two-new-members-for-2018-19.aspx?path=

Mailsy - You have to see the "gymnasiums" at Bryn Athyn and Wilson. They make Eastern, DeSales and even Rosemont look like the Palestra. OK, maybe not Rosemont!! ;)

mailsy

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on September 22, 2017, 04:15:31 PM

http://csacsports.com/news/2017/8/30/baseball-csac-adds-two-new-members-for-2018-19.aspx?path=

Mailsy - You have to see the "gymnasiums" at Bryn Athyn and Wilson. They make Eastern, DeSales and even Rosemont look like the Palestra. OK, maybe not Rosemont!! ;)

I may never see those gyms since the Cavs will be starting a new conference in 2018-19.  ;D

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: mailsy on September 23, 2017, 12:36:18 AM
Quote from: jmcozenlaw on September 22, 2017, 04:15:31 PM

I may never see those gyms since the Cavs will be starting a new conference in 2018-19.  ;D

There is always the "post-Conference roulette out-of-conference games" though!! ;)

mailsy

mailsy

Practice starts today. Really looking forward to this year. Cavs Senior Tyheim Monroe( if he stays healthy) should break the school's scoring and rebounding records. With the new players and if everybody stays healthy I like the Cavs to win the conference in their last year in the CSAC.

GO CAVS!!!