MBB: St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by FC News, March 01, 2005, 11:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hopefan

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on January 19, 2019, 12:33:09 PM
According to this website, Greenville at Eureka postponed.
glad you didn't go. All others appear to be on.
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: hopefan on January 19, 2019, 01:29:16 PM
Quote from: Greek Tragedy on January 19, 2019, 12:33:09 PM
According to this website, Greenville at Eureka postponed.
glad you didn't go. All others appear to be on.

The weather up here was bad enough.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

y_jack_lok

Alliteration abounds. A great game was held on the hardwood of Grant Gym as the battle of Big Bend was a barn burner. Fontbonne was fabulous and Webster was wonderful. Okay, enough.

It was one of those games that looked like it it was going to come down to who had the lead and the ball with less than a minute left, forcing the other team to foul. Tied at 85 with 1:40 left Webster turned the ball over. After a Fontbonne miss and a Webster rebound the Gorloks scored with :39 left. That's when Fontbonne started fouling. Josh Johnson went 6-6 from the FT line the rest of the way. Final 93-87.

y_jack_lok

Long time posters on this board will remember Denny McKinney, son of former Fontbonne coach Lee McKinney, who was a regular here for many years and a fierce advocate of Fontbonne basketball. I have just learned that Denny passed away this morning. Like his father, he valiantly and courageously battled cancer but ultimately succumbed. For me it was a pleasure knowing Denny. RIP, buddy.

hopefan

Aaaahhh Denny, rest in peace... we did have our times, didn't we.... the best stuff ever on these SLIAC pages came when we were going at it... you with your passion for your Dad's Fontbonne teams, me with my long needle, egging you on... but hey, we stayed friends the whole way, why?  Because we both shared a love and appreciation for D3hoops that few could match....  I'll see you up in the clouds when my day comes, and we'll watch all these games together, likely agreeing to disagree as always!!! 

WUPHF

Thoughts and condolences to the McKinney family.

hopefan

hopefan's SLIAC Player of the Week?

I must give in... Two played so well, I must have Co-Players of the week... neither Rod Etienne nor Clark Davidson can fairly be denied

Etienne - Webster   2 teriffic wins...61 points, 28 for 42 from the field. 17 rebounds, 9 assists

Davidson - Principia  huge upset over Blackburn, a single handed effort against Spalding... 46 points, 16 for 25 from the field, 8 for 10 from the line, 30 rebounds

and this looks past Nigel Wilcox, who probably deserved a portion of the pie with 49 points, 26 bounds!!!

Gregory Sager

Sorry to hear about Denny's passing. He sure spiced up this board with his back-and-forth for several years with hopefan.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

hopefan

Well, craziness just took over the conference

On Saturday, Westminster, vying for one of the top spots in the conference, loses to Iowa Wesleyan, BADLY...  Iowa Wesleyan who came into the game with  2 wins in Conference
At the same time, Fontbonne figures out how to lose another close game, losing to Webster, bringing them close to elimination for a conference tourney spot..

2 days later, Westminster totally turns it around, handing Greenville (who seemed unbeatable) their 2nd straight loss, and pushing Webster into first place alone...
And just for kicks, Iowa Wesleyan forgets everything they did good in hammering Westminster, and gets clobbered by Fontbonne...

Ya never know......

y_jack_lok

^^^ Well, you said that it isn't recovering from playing games thst affects players as much as the travel, etc. In each game you mention the home team won. While travel from Fontbonne to Webster shouldn't be a factor, Fulton to Mt. Pleasant, Greenville to Fulton, and Mt. Pleasant to St. Louis certainly could be.

WUPHF

Time to pencil in that second to last game of the season match-up between Webster and Greenville at Grant Gymnasium.

hopefan

A wow moment... was going through stats and rosters and started to take note of what each team seemingly graduates this year, looking forward to 2019/20

Webster....  NO Significant losses

Greenville.... Lose almost everyone...8 out of 12 in regular rotation are seniors.... Eric Williams should be back

Westminster...Lose 4 of top 6.... Cobe Wands should be back

Spalding....  Virtually EVERYONE returns

Blackburn....  Almost everyone back... lose Duncan King

Fontbonne... All regulars back with exception of role player Eric Schark

Eureka...Lose 3 seniors, but 3 criticals back, including Dakota Bennington, Jordan Dehm

Principia... Everyone Back except high scoring Micah Paulson...but very few bodies.. still, Goodman/Davidson

Iowa Wesleyan...Everyone Back... from a team that kicked Westminster

MacMurray... Lose 2 Critical Seniors, Bourke and Fox

GREAT OUTLOOK FOR NEXT YEAR...A HUGE NUMBER OF GOOD PLAYERS RETURNING

GU1999

Firstly, kudos to Westmin for their grind it out, stick to the plan approach to the game with GU yesterday.  Greenville  shot it at a stunning +60% clip from 3 in the first 7 mins of the game.  And at that point of the game they had not taken a single 2 pt. shot.  The team certainly regressed to the mean and finished 37.5 (which is still quite good).    GU did hit 17 3s in the first half, but Westmin was unfazed, continued to beat the press and finished with confidence.  One thing I did notice was that GU looked a bit dispirited in their pursuit from behind.  Once the press is broken this team appears to my untrained eye to be less "back-tappy" then previous iterations. 

The officiating appeared less than prepared for the pace of this type of game.  They looked to stop play early and often.  This created an atmosphere that was not conducive to the pace of the game wearing on the team playing their players for long stretches of time.  I wonder if the officials are also growing weary of their baseline to half court runs and are eager to blow a whistle in order to catch a breath for themselves.  GU, if they hope to have the aggregating of pace wear on their opponents they, simply need to foul less. 

Anyway, what we have left is a good conference race.  It will likely come down to the last week for home court in the conference tourney. 

GU1999

Quote from: hopefan on January 22, 2019, 06:08:51 AM
A wow moment... was going through stats and rosters and started to take note of what each team seemingly graduates this year, looking forward to 2019/20

Greenville.... Lose almost everyone...8 out of 12 in regular rotation are seniors.... Eric Williams should be back

Eureka...Lose 3 seniors, but 3 criticals back, including Dakota Bennington, Jordan Dehm

Principia... Everyone Back except high scoring Micah Paulson...but very few bodies.. still, Goodman/Davidson

As it pertains to GU losing it players, we have all seen Coach Barber reload (Example A is the Champ/Champ 2017/18 team).  I call your attention to the below link from the GU JV.  TThere must be some really good players on this team that are preparing to be ready to plug and play next year.  http://athletics.greenville.edu/sports/mbkb/2018-19/JV_Mens_Basketball/schedule

hopefan

Quote from: hopefan on January 22, 2019, 06:08:51 AM

Following along, in my All Conference spreadsheet, currently, the top 7, 9 of the top 10, 12 of the top 15, are players who should return next year.....