MBB: NESCAC

Started by cameltime, April 27, 2005, 02:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nescac1

Interesting Dave.  Perhaps just family, or perhaps with Hixon nearing (maybe) retirement, an heir apparent situation??

amh63

Dave....thanks for info!   With several key assistants...both Amherst alums...leaving for HC jobs recently, Hixon is a "little" short- handed now.  One of his present assistants is a W&L player.  Maybe his name will be on a candidate list for the departing W&L HC.
If Hixon decides to retire in the near future, my money will be on Toomey'14, presently picking up more "chores" lately :).

P'bearfan

Dave....thanks for the update.  Coach Hutchinson is a good man and I wish him the best going forward.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I can assure you... this was family driven. I think the opportunity to return to Amherst was good timing, that's all. I am quite confident if other family reasons didn't present themselves, Adam would still be at W&L and not returning to Amherst. Nothing against the Lord Mammoths fans, but Adam's decision did not start with Hixon having an opening. He just happened to find something that would allow this move to work far easier. Remember, he is leaving a head coaching position after 15 years. Not many coaches would want to "step back" to assistant. Adam is comfortable doing so because there are other factors in play. We shall see where the future leads after.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

nescac1

10-4 Dave.  Hixon has given no indication he is close to retirement, so far as I've heard -- but with two titles under his belt and 30 years now of coaching, he has nothing really left to prove / accomplish.  But I'm sure he could easily go another 5-10 years if he so desired.  If he does hang em up in the near future, I can't imagine Toomey would be the replacement -- there are so many far more experienced, proven coaches in the Amherst family tree who have either been D3 head coaches, D1 assistants, or both ...

jayhawk

story in Roanoke Newspaper explaining why Adam Hutchinson is coming back to Amherst. His wife is going to be head of college counseling

quote from Hixon saying he will be coaching for a while :
http://www.roanoke.com/sports/colleges/adam-hutchinson-exits-washington-and-lee-for-amherst/article_1b728284-2916-5e76-89bd-20e809d6a9bd.html

Of note Joe Schneider is playing on the US Maccabiah team this summer. Coach will be Doug Gottlieb, could be  a very good experience for Joe Schneider to get some playing time

Also on team is Daniel Janel who is graduating from Conneticut College

jayhawk

sorry Adam's wife will be head of college counseling at Deerfield Academy

amh63

It's Summertime!  Another school reporting refurbishing its basketball floor.  Amherst did it awhile back, followed by Tufts...as posted earlier.  Trinity is the latest school to tweet a pic of its new floor cover.  Guess the trend is to clean up the multi- lines wrt 3-Pts.  Amherst's effort replaced "Jeffs" with a big "A".  Another change in the future?. :)

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Honestly, a lot of schools at the very least strip and resurface their courts in the summer. The bigger question is how far down do they go - the further down, the more expensive. However, I have found that many schools will repaint lines usually when required to - so every two years at the very least - and will keep the old three-point lines if they still do a lot of high school events.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Vandy74

Quote from: amh63 on July 13, 2017, 10:08:16 AM
It's Summertime!  Another school reporting refurbishing its basketball floor.  Amherst did it awhile back, followed by Tufts...as posted earlier.  Trinity is the latest school to tweet a pic of its new floor cover.  Guess the trend is to clean up the multi- lines wrt 3-Pts.  Amherst's effort replaced "Jeffs" with a big "A".  Another change in the future?. :)

amh63.....I attended the 2014 Middlebury/Amherst game at LeFrak.  At that time there was a line across the court rather close to the midcourt line resulting in a confused ref blowing the whistle on Aaron Toomey for a bogus backcourt violation.  The error was explained and the game continued.  I have no idea what purpose, in what sport, the line served and wonder if it's still a part of the LeFrak floor design.

amh63

Vandy74, nice to hear from you.   The only other varsity sport that uses LeFrak is volleyball.  Maybe the line was put there to  "train" refs :).
A question for you wrt Vanderbilt. Is the basketball court one of those those courts that is "raised- up"?

Vandy74

Quote from: amh63 on July 16, 2017, 09:12:12 AM
Vandy74, nice to hear from you.   The only other varsity sport that uses LeFrak is volleyball.  Maybe the line was put there to  "train" refs :).
A question for you wrt Vanderbilt. Is the basketball court one of those those courts that is "raised- up"?

amh63, you are correct.  The Memorial gymnasium court is built up like a stage about three feet higher than the front row seating on either side.  One of the pits is the student section.  Another feature of the layout is the placement of the team benches at the ends of the court rather than on the sidelines.  This was not uncommon in the early 50s when the place was built but it is now unique to Memorial.

Pepin hosts volleyball as well.  That's probably the answer regarding the confusing stripe, but the ref training idea has some merit. :D

P'bearfan

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on July 14, 2017, 01:35:59 PM
Honestly, a lot of schools at the very least strip and resurface their courts in the summer. The bigger question is how far down do they go - the further down, the more expensive. However, I have found that many schools will repaint lines usually when required to - so every two years at the very least - and will keep the old three-point lines if they still do a lot of high school events.

If memory serves, Bowdoin resurfaced Morrell gym about 3 or 4 summers ago.  Haven't heard of plans to re-surface anytime soon - most of the focus is on the extensive renovation of Whittier Field.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: P'bearfan on July 18, 2017, 06:38:53 AM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on July 14, 2017, 01:35:59 PM

If memory serves, Bowdoin resurfaced Morrell gym about 3 or 4 summers ago.  Haven't heard of plans to re-surface anytime soon - most of the focus is on the extensive renovation of Whittier Field.

I saw most schools, because there is always the smell of new stain when I enter campuses in the summer. It is just a matter of how far down does a school decide to resurface. I am betting most schools do the basic work each summer is my point. A bigger job certainly happens less often. My alma mater took it down to the "roots" a few years ago for the first time since the place was built (mid 90s)... only to have to do it a year (or two?) later because the new president had a new logo (first in over ten years) done. Only made me laugh. :)

TheHerst2and4

Middlebury alum and former Amherst assistant Koby Altman expected to be named the next GM of the Cavs at 34 years old. Congrats to Koby and the Panther community, he's a great dude.