MBB: NESCAC

Started by cameltime, April 27, 2005, 02:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ContinentalDomer

I don't have info about him, which is why I posted vitals.  I do know that one of his classmates will play at D1 High Point next year and that another recent alum is putting up big numbers at Loyola (MD).  There are also underclassmen on that roster who are highly touted. Tough to say, but in the end, investments in bigs who just need more time to incubate (see Michael Kempton) can be good bets. If the Ham kid been practicing with/against superior talent for 4 years, handicappers may like those odds.
Quote from: amh63 on May 05, 2017, 03:07:07 PM
ronk...glad you are on it!  Was going to point out that the third Hamilton recruit is from a private school in Va.  it is a school that does not "recruit" talent normally from the D.C. Metro area...from Md.or DC.  In any case, his size is a noted.
[

amh63

ContinentalDomer....Agree.  The kid must put in the effort if he wants floor time.  The HC in Clinton is a good one and will put this recruit "to good use"  :).  Playing Hamilton at Clinton is getting harder every year.  Maybe I will drop by to catch a live game there...weather allowing.

toad22

I'm not sure how much difference it will make, but next year's Eph roster will likely be the tallest in it's history. With the addition of two big forwards, I count eight players in the 6'7-6'10 range. At least five of those players will be in the rotation. The list includes three centers, one center-forward, and four forwards. Next season will be the first year in the last four where the team is fairly evenly split between underclassmen and upperclassmen. Kevin App seems to be a very good recruiter.

P'bearfan

Quote from: toad22 on May 08, 2017, 11:32:48 AM
I'm not sure how much difference it will make, but next year's Eph roster will likely be the tallest in it's history. With the addition of two big forwards, I count eight players in the 6'7-6'10 range. At least five of those players will be in the rotation. The list includes three centers, one center-forward, and four forwards. Next season will be the first year in the last four where the team is fairly evenly split between underclassmen and upperclassmen. Kevin App seems to be a very good recruiter.

Wow....and I thought this year's squad was big.  If Coach App is able to find workable combinations of these bigs, Williams will be tough next year.

toad22

Josh loeffler, another former Williams assistant coach, comes back to D3, as the head coach of Johns Hopkins. Josh is a really good coach. He will be great.

nescac1

It's been quite an off-season for the increasingly prolific Eph and Mammoth coaching trees.  Congrats to all the new job-holders! 

Some NESCAC recruiting news here:

http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.com/news/lesure-morris-godwin-headline-recent-d3-commitments

Brennan Morris to Tufts -- previously mentioned here, yet another big, athletic wing who can shoot it for the Jumbos, who should be absolutely loaded next year at every position save for center, which is the big question mark)
Future all-name team member Fru Che to the Mammoths --  their fifth reported recruit in what seems like a deep and talented class
Raheem Spence to Bates -- he will have to be really good to earn playing time next year, since the Bobcats bring back six talented veteran guards who will all be fighting for time.  Bates, like Tufts, has questions on the interior however. 

amh63

Some random thoughts on the " recruits" reported to date wrt returning players.
Williams seems loaded with front court players while Bates with guards.  I take the Boston Celtics view...the undersize quick guard that keeps his team competitive. 
I believe the surprise teams in the conference will be the ones with the best guards to run/ lead their teams.  Having said that...need to ponder the talent returning around the conference.   Amherst loses its two guards that had almost all the "PG" time on the floor.  Quick talented guards available but must prove that they can distribute the ball and play defense.
It will be an interesting season ahead.

Panthernation

Taysean Scott, one of Williams' senior captains, suffered a significant brain injury last weekend and is in a medically-induced coma.

A GoFundMe page has been set up for anyone who wants to contribute:

https://www.gofundme.com/taysean-scott-support-page

nescac1

Thanks for passing that along, Panthernation.  Awful news for Tay Scott, a great kid who overcame a ton of injuries throughout his college athletic career.  And to have this happen just weeks before his graduation ... hopefully he can have a full recovery, I'm sure we will all be pulling hard for him. 

nescac1

Yet another former Eph assistant becomes a college head coach (I believe that's three this Spring alone!):

http://www.haverfordathletics.com/sports/mbkb/2017-18/releases/20170511dp3ci3

grabtherim

Quote from: Panthernation on May 10, 2017, 06:16:13 PM
Taysean Scott, one of Williams' senior captains, suffered a significant brain injury last weekend and is in a medically-induced coma.

A GoFundMe page has been set up for anyone who wants to contribute:

https://www.gofundme.com/taysean-scott-support-page

Thanks for the heads up on this.  I made a donation.  I hope everyone who who reads this does as well.  Here is a short video Williams did on their captains from this year.  Pray for this kid.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cX7sSM77lc 

TheHerst2and4

For those interested during the slow summer sports months, D3 is going to be well represented in the Israeli Pro Basketball finale tomorrow night.
Maccabi Haifa has Amherst's Willy Workman and Rochester's John DiBartolomeo and Hapoel Jerusalem has Isaac Rosefelt of St. Thomas out in Minnesota. DiBartolomeo is putting up the best numbers (I believe he starts) but all three have been contributing.
I'm taking Maccabi Haifa at +4 with a complete homer bet; hoping Amare Stoudemire is a no-show for Jerusalem.

JustAFan

NERR reports that 6-6 Brooks School (MA) forward Fru Che is headed to Amherst this fall and 6-8 center Akim Sanni from Tabor Academy will be headed to Brandeis rather than to Trinity, as originally expected. Also, 6-3 guard Colin Donovan from Choate, a very good shooter with deep range, will be headed to Trinity, following in the footsteps of his father Michael, a former Bantam hoops captain.

nescac1

Brandeis, which has been down for a number of years, seems to have a loaded class coming in this year. 

One Williams recruit who I don't think has been mentioned, an update from the Priory school in St. Louis: "two of our senior scholar athletes who have committed to play college sports: Daniel Kacmarek, basketball at Williams; Holden Wilmsen, football at Dartmouth."

Kacmarek is a 6'7 wing (adding yet another big swing man to the Ephs' roster, which is loaded with talented guys in the 6'5-6'8 range) who was first team all-league in hoops and is also a first-team all-state lacrosse player in Missouri.  For the Ephs, a fairly small, but once again geographically diverse (Marc Taylor from Chicago, Missouri, Michael Myers from D.C.) recruiting class.  Williams seems very focused on the midwest, with many of the better talents on the team in recent years coming from that region (Aronowitz, Scadlock, Teal, Heskett, etc.). 

Amherst has a large group of recruits with (reported so far, at least) two PGs, a SG, a forward and a center.  I would imagine that the two PGs will have a chance to make an instant impact given their reputations as well as the big hole left by two graduating seniors. 

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.