MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sac

Quote from: Titan Q on October 08, 2017, 02:11:54 PM
Yes, the season Kent Raymond Godshirted seems to be the closest comparison here.

Unlocks door to "Supersweatness Hall of Fame"
dusts off shelf
places "Godshirted"
locks door to "Supersweatness Hall of Fame"

AndOne

Anyone aware of any teams not starting practice Sunday?

It will be interesting to see if there are any eligible expected starters or any subs that likely would have seen > 10-15 minutes of PT, that do not return for any of the conference teams. 🤔

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: AndOne on October 12, 2017, 01:30:18 AM
Anyone aware of any teams not starting practice Sunday?

It will be interesting to see if there are any eligible expected starters or any subs that likely would have seen > 10-15 minutes of PT, that do not return for any of the conference teams. 🤔

I have no inside info, but Sunday practice doesn't sound like a Wheaton thing to do.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Besides the NESCAC and possibly the Centennial conferences? :)
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Titan Q

Happy first day of practice.  Let's do this.

iwu70

Let the new season, the practices begin.  I'm ready.

'70

markerickson

NPU sorely lacks height with or without their All-American.
Once a metalhead, always a metalhead.  Matthew 5:13.

AndOne

Quote from: markerickson on October 15, 2017, 10:22:28 PM
NPU sorely lacks height with or without their All-American.

With 4/5s of it's starting lineup gone from a 16 point loss in last season's final game, the eastern Vikings are lacking a lot more than height. Colin Lake has been one of the most underrated/undervalued players in the conference for at least the last two years, but there is only so much business a 5'7" 145 pound guy can get done by himself. Now, with Jordan Robinson's departure for the season, if not forever, the pressure only increases to replace many aspects of both NPU's offensive and defensive presence. While it is highly unlikely any one player can come close to replacing Robinson's contributions, it seems the NPU recruiting class is going to have to make a major contribution in order for the Vikings to come close to last year's noteworthy campaign. And, since we really haven't heard much about this year's class, the question remains about whether it contains any player(s) who might help the Parkers with what appears to be a rather sizable shopping list rather than one whose sole need is some added height.

markerickson

I was fully aware of NPU's senior 2016-2017 starters and reserves when I posted earlier.

markerickson

North Park knew of their All-American's departure by at least 9/6 (unless there was a photo-cropping error):  https://twitter.com/coachfano

lmitzel

Preseason coaches' poll is out. Augie picked almost unanimously to win. NCC second with Augie's first place vote, Carthage third with whoever went rogue in their poll giving them the other first place vote.
Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE

HAMBO

I look for Carroll and Millikin to be the most improved teams this year.  Carroll's talented freshmen from last year will be more experienced and Millikin has a new coach, new vision and many JC transfers.  The conference should be strong from top to bottom.  It should be a fun year.

AndOne

Quote from: lmitzel on October 25, 2017, 01:19:56 PM
Preseason coaches' poll is out. Augie picked almost unanimously to win. NCC second with Augie's first place vote, Carthage third with whoever went rogue in their poll giving them the other first place vote.

I wouldn't automatically make the assumption that NCC's first place vote came from Rock Island.
It's logical that the perceived first place team coach would want as much distance as possible between his team and what is expected to be his closest competition.

NPU (6), Carroll (7), and Elmhurst (8) very closely bunched with 24, 23, and 22 votes respectively.
Carroll beat NPU once last year when NPU had Robinson, Henry, and Cobbs who are all gone now. Carroll lost only one of its top players.

AndOne

Quote from: HAMBO on October 25, 2017, 02:29:55 PM
I look for Carroll and Millikin to be the most improved teams this year.  Carroll's talented freshmen from last year will be more experienced and Millikin has a new coach, new vision and many JC transfers.  The conference should be strong from top to bottom.  It should be a fun year.

You sound like a Millikin fan Hambo. If so, we could use one.

Carroll and Millikin may well both be improved this season, but most improved is highly debatable.
Carroll lost its leading scorer. I look for Nick Penny, a great shooter who had a very nice freshman campaign, to pick up most of the slack there. Along with Zaeske and Widdes, they make a very good shooting team. They can't shoot too much better than last season so the two biggest factors in how much they improve might be how much better post play they get from Tyler Ingebrigtsen, as well as how well they can play defensively. As far as their "talented freshmen from last year," who would that be besides Penny?

Millikin does have a new coach, successful previously farther north. As far as a new vision, Matt Nadelhoffer supposedly had a new vision. However, all that new vision was good for was a last place finish. Does Mark Scherer have a better vision? And they may have a lot of JC transfers, but lets see if those transfers have game vs. CCIW competition before we get too excited. Millikin's biggest obstacles may be that it's still Millikin, and its still in Decatur.  ;)

HAMBO

You are correct.  I am a Millikin fan.  They should be much improved since they were basically a frosh/soph team last year and everyone is back.  Even greatly improved does not make them a contender but more competitive.  Regarding your comments about "it is still Millikin and in Decatur".  Have you been to the campus lately?  It is gorgeous, beautifully landscaped, fantastic new university commons building, new science building, new artificial turf football field, new state-of-the-art softball stadium with an artificial turf field, revised business classroom center, and the campus is adjacent to the very large and specially equipped Fairview Park, etc.  Griswold needs upgrading but it has very comfortable chair seating and seats 3,000 all along the sidelines.  The Big Blue represents the CCIW in a quality way and deserves the respect of their colleague institutions.

They are organized for success.  The president is a big supporter of the athletic programs and the AD now reports directly to the president and is a member of his cabinet.  Decatur has it own TV station and a newspaper to cover Millikin.  Not many Div 3 schools can say that. But you are correct ... they have much to prove.  If they do and Wash U joins the CCIW, the south shall rise again.  Your thoughts are appreciated.  Thank you!