FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HSCTiger fan

Quote from: hasanova on September 21, 2018, 04:09:56 PM
I personally think the 2015 GC team that went 9-1 was in the Top 3.  Barring an injury, perhaps even better on most Saturdays than the 10-0 W&L team.  I realize it's awfully hard to argue against a team that was undefeated (and kudos to the Generals!), but Murphy was alive and well in Lexington that day.

I would rank this Guilford team behind HSC 09,10,13 and WL 17 so 5th. That was a very good GC  team.
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

y_jack_lok

Quote from: HSCTiger fan on September 22, 2018, 09:58:24 AM
Quote from: Jeremybozz on September 22, 2018, 06:39:09 AM
AFCA Coaches Poll:

36 Washington & Lee 26 vote points
49 Randolph Macon 4 vote points
49 Guilford 4 vote points

Jeremy just because a team receives vote does NOT make them the 36th or 49th RANKED team. The voters are voting on the top 25 NOT the top 50. 

Example: The 100 voters, hypothetically ALL want HSC as 26th or the first team out. They receive no votes. But RMC receives 1 vote to be in the top 25 but the other 99 voters would have put them 240th. They are not ranked higher than HSC. They just received a vote.

It's always interesting to hear thoughts like this on the meaning of votes for teams that don't make it into the top 25. But this takes it to a new place, which is even more interesting. The hypothetical notion that all voters (there are only 25, not 100) might think the same team is 26th. But I understand your point.

Jeremybozz

AFCA Coaches Poll:

Jeremy just because a team receives vote does NOT make them the 36th or 49th RANKED team. The voters are voting on the top 25 NOT the top 50. 

Example: The 100 voters, hypothetically ALL want HSC as 26th or the first team out. They receive no votes. But RMC receives 1 vote to be in the top 25 but the other 99 voters would have put them 240th. They are not ranked higher than HSC. They just received a vote.
We will have to respectfully agree to disagree. I respect your opinion. Now, lets get ready for some football.

HSCTiger fan

Quote from: Jeremybozz on September 22, 2018, 11:03:43 AM
AFCA Coaches Poll:

We will have to respectfully agree to disagree. I respect your opinion. Now, lets get ready for some football.

It's not an opinion it's a simple fact. WL, RMC and RMC are NOT ranked. They are receiving votes. There is a huge difference.
Hampden Sydney College
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

Jeremybozz

The others getting votes are printed for a reason. Simple fact.

HSCTiger fan

Quote from: Jeremybozz on September 22, 2018, 11:10:53 AM
The others getting votes are printed for a reason. Simple fact.

They most certainly are reported. But they are not RANKED. That's the difference.  Two weeks ago in the D3 poll Springfield was RANKED 25th. The next week they were not ranked AND they did not receive any votes. It's very possible that many of the voters would have RANKED thèn in the top 40 IF they were voting on a top 40. They are not. They vote ONLY on the top 25. Anyone who received a vote is listed but NOT ranked.
Hampden Sydney College

hasanova

Quote from: HSCTiger fan on September 21, 2018, 12:01:27 PM
64 - the conference loss in 13 was to SU. HSC missed 2 of their first 3 extra points. Was up 19 to 0 and loss 34-35 or 35-36 when SU scores with less than a minute to go after SU converts a 2 point conversation. Hasa you remember this right?

I agree with your top ten. The best team imo that did not win the ODAC was HSC 2010.
I didn't pull up the boxscore, but this sounds right.

gridironsouthernboy

others receiving votes, is to show all votes casted not to say whom is 26, 27 , etc....
Its more about being transparent about the voting , to show all votes were counted.

Pat Coleman

It also shows who is under consideration. But as the official creator of the Top 25, I concur that only 25 teams are ranked in the Top 25. (Aside from the rare instance where there are teams tied for 25th place.)

By the way, there are more voters in the AFCA poll, which is why there are more points to go around.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

jknezek

AFCA Coaches Poll:

This exactly. If you aren't in the Top 25 you aren't ranked. You are receiving votes to be in the top 25, but you are unranked.

hasanova

Ferrum 81, Greensboro 0

Two comments:  FC is fairly good and GCP is really bad.

HSCTiger fan

Quote from: jknezek on September 21, 2018, 09:37:32 AM
Quote from: HSCTiger fan on September 20, 2018, 11:31:02 PM
Quote from: hasanova on September 20, 2018, 09:08:06 PM
Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on September 20, 2018, 04:17:58 PM
Hasa

I forgot all about that 2014 OT game GC vs. HSC.

I could not believe the decision not to go for 2 point conversion. Our defense was winded and GC's offense was rolling.

Great game to watch; both teams played well.
tfa2, that's the way I saw it.  My friends and I talked about that decision all the way back to Greensboro.  It was a great game.  GC fans thought 2014 and 2015 were our best bets to finally go to the playoffs and neither panned out.  Someday, I hope it will happen.  :)

I'm missing those days. Looking back at box score HSC had 227 rushing on 41 carries!

That stat made me want to look back at the last couple of years. Since 2016 HSC is a whooping 8-14. Interestingly enough HSC is 7-2 when rushing OVER 100 yards but 1-12 when rushing for less than 100.

Another stat - when HSC attempts just 30 carries per game they've gone 7-3. When they've attempted 29 or less they are 1-11.

Their best rushing performance in that time was 208 yards in a rare 2016 win over SU. Their worst was CNU 2 weeks ago with -8!

HSC had better hope they found a better running game during this time off. If not 2018 will be a repeat of 2016.

I've been after this for a few years. I don't know what changed, but H-SC, when they were a powerhouse, were much more balanced. Sure they could kill you with the pass, but they also ran hard and were physical doing it. Since Koonce, they've given up on running the football. I don't know if it's in the line, or not having a back they can rely on, but it's really tough to win without any running game. Now it's really tough to win without a passing game too, and W&L does it pretty well, but at least the option is a nasty wrinkle that is hard to prepare for. Every team runs shotgun reads to some degree at this point, and while I'm sure from a coaching level of detail, H-SC has some nasty wrinkles in the passing game, it's still similar to a lot of other schemes run in the ODAC. If you don't have next level talent, and H-SC hasn't in more than just the last 2 years, it's real hard to win just by being better than everyone at one facet of what everyone else is doing. In my opinion Shenandoah is learning the same lesson.

And I'm not ragging on the coaches because coaches at all levels do this. Don Shula was one of the greatest coaches of all time. From the Colts in the 60s, through the undefeated season in Miami and right up to 1983, he was a balanced offensive coach (for the time, which obviously meant more running than passing, but still, mostly balanced). Once Marino landed in Miami it all changed. And while some years, when the talent was above and beyond, the Dolphins did well, for the most part, one of the best QBs of all time was squandered by a system that wasn't balanced in the slightest. The O line couldn't run block, the team didn't make drafting RBs a priority, and the receivers couldn't hold a block to save their lives.

Coaches fall into this trap all the time, at every level of the game. And I feel like you need some new opinions around the head coach to pull him back out of it, because it's real hard to see when you are down a hole you dug yourself.
[/b]

I meant to reply the other day.

I completely agree that this is a hole Coach Favret has dug himself. I'm not sure knowing his personality that having new coaches would change him. If you and I and everyone else in the football world knows he needs to run the ball more he knows it too. This looks like a new phenomenon but it's not. I've watched HSC football as closely as any fan over the last 8 years.  When HSC is behind he comes out slinging the ball all over the field. He did this "back in the day" and he does it now. The problem has been HSC has been behind a lot more than they've been ahead the last few years. Against CNU HSC had -8 yards rushing. -50 came from 9 sacks. So without the sacks 42 yards on 17 attempts not exactly earthshaking 2.5 yards per carry.  But who in college football purposely only tries 17 runs in a game?  I'll give a few examples:

20 runs against Linville in 2013 with 3 sacks so 17 purposeful runs.
In 2010 HSC had 15 carries against Montclair St with 1 sack or an amazing 14 purposeful runs and 23 rushes against WL - shockingly they lost both games.  Their only loses of 2010.   
2012 19 rush attempts with 3 sacks in a loss to RMC.

I could give many more examples but I think you get the point

Like I said this is not new and IMO "New opinions" around the head is not the answer.
Hampden Sydney College

gridironsouthernboy

Quote from: hasanova on September 22, 2018, 06:54:26 PM
Ferrum 81, Greensboro 0

I hate that GC can't seem to get it together, would be another good opportunity for local kids. My son visited bc we are local and Methodist.
Really liked the Head Coach, liked the campus for the most part( nothing special but nothing real negative either). His staff seemed to be on the weak side compared to all the others we had talked to.  Head Coach gave a great pitch to the kids on the visit, did most of everything himself.  Unique school setting for a D3 football program for around here. Having a small school on the doorsteps of downtown and two fairly large universities makes a good selling point.

Air Raid

Quote from: gridironsouthernboy on September 23, 2018, 08:25:34 AM
Quote from: hasanova on September 22, 2018, 06:54:26 PM
Ferrum 81, Greensboro 0

I hate that GC can't seem to get it together, would be another good opportunity for local kids. My son visited bc we are local and Methodist.
Really liked the Head Coach, liked the campus for the most part( nothing special but nothing real negative either). His staff seemed to be on the weak side compared to all the others we had talked to.  Head Coach gave a great pitch to the kids on the visit, did most of everything himself.  Unique school setting for a D3 football program for around here. Having a small school on the doorsteps of downtown and two fairly large universities makes a good selling point.
I totally agree with you about the Pride.  Crum is a good coach, but his coordinators are not really talented.  I like the addition of the new o line coach (former UMU player), but he is new to the coaching ranks.  I believe they would like to get a field to play on at the campus, which help bring some fans/students.
In reference to Ferrum, they will be a tough matchup for teams this season.  Grande was with EH for several seasons and is a really good coach.  Adding Shaw made that coaching staff even better.  They are not afraid to run behind Patti who is a monster o lineman, and Mann is a heck of a RB.   They will test SU next Saturday who is known to have a very shaky run defense.

tigerFanAlso2

TigerFan

Are you being tough on HSC throwing out all of those stats regarding our of a running game or lack of ?

Everybody knows you cannot win if you don't control the LOS. The CNU game sums it up; minus rushing yards and allowed 7 QB sacks. Almost hard to believe we only got beat by 4 points. HSC simply needs to get tougher, plain and simple.

2018 could be a difficult season if trends continue; hopefully the 21 day layoff has allowed them to regroup. We'll find out on Saturday.