no 1500 needed to "be honored"

I'll keep my mouth shut about the NCAA  >:(

sheesssh!!!!

gosh I think Im gonna email the chamber of commerce in Salem

Kel

Verbum Domini Manet en Aeternum
"The Word of the Lord stands Forever"

Pat Coleman

There's a group that wants to put that together but the NCAA frowns on use of the stadium so close to the Stagg Bowl.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

K-Mack

Quote from: Pat Coleman on September 04, 2009, 01:37:42 AM
There's a group that wants to put that together but the NCAA frowns on use of the stadium so close to the Stagg Bowl.

That argument made more sense before they switched to turf.

I know there's always much more to these things than meets the eye, but it would definitely be nice to have some of D3s best players be around when the Gagliardi Trophy winner accepts, etc. ... And I think the exposure to the Stagg Bowl, which most first-timers tend to enjoy, would benefit the event in the long run.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

PurpleSuit

the week of the Stagg Bowl would be tough as many schools are having final exams that week. 

Teamski

I COMPLETLEY agree with having a North/South bowl for DIII.  It would not only allow more DIII players to get the opportunity to play in such a game with two complete teams, but it would also help in scouts comparing abilities.  The current system with the Atzec bowl makes those comparisons tough with unknown players on the opposite side of the ball.  Heck, you might even save some serious $$$$ on travel expenses.   No doubt, it should be held after the Stagg bowl.

-Ski
Wesley College Football.... A Winning Tradition! A Coach Mike Drass Legacy.

D O.C.

Has it been stated how the North-South would be broken up?
I'm always for an East-West game.
In the old NFL showcase games the East-West game was always more enjoyable to me than the Blue-Gray game.

Teamski

Quote from: D O.C. on September 15, 2009, 01:01:42 AM
Has it been stated how the North-South would be broken up?
I'm always for an East-West game.
In the old NFL showcase games the East-West game was always more enjoyable to me than the Blue-Gray game.

That is where the problem is.  Where do you split East vs West?  The distribution of teams in DIII is very heavily Eastern based, so an East vs West game would be unbalanced.  North/South is definately the better way to go.

-Ski
Wesley College Football.... A Winning Tradition! A Coach Mike Drass Legacy.

AUPepBand

How about the South/West versus the North/East?

Or perhaps the South/East against the North/West?

Or hey, alternating years, you could even have the North/South versus East/West!

Anyway, All-Stars would be selected from among the teams in the respective NCAA designated regions.
On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

frank uible

North-South works if you draw the horizontal line through Cuyahoga Heights.

D O.C.

OK, mix it up. NS vs EW then SW vs NE. Sounds like fantasy football though.

QuoteThe distribution of teams in DIII is very heavily Eastern based, so an East vs West game would be unbalanced.

Au contraire, as of late the best teams are in the West except for that juggernaut on the Mount. But it would not be about teams, would it?

reality check

Quote from: D O.C. on September 15, 2009, 01:09:05 PM
OK, mix it up. NS vs EW then SW vs NE. Sounds like fantasy football though.

QuoteThe distribution of teams in DIII is very heavily Eastern based, so an East vs West game would be unbalanced.

Au contraire, as of late the best teams are in the West except for that juggernaut on the Mount. But it would not be about teams, would it?

He wasn't talking about "best".  He was talking about distribution and pure numbers.  If you drew a line down the geographic center of the US, you'd probably have 75% in the east and 25% in the west (maybe even more slanted).

The "best" argument is another topic altogether. 
OAC Champs: 1942 (one title ties us with Ohio State)
OAC Runners-Up: 2017, 2016, 2015, 2010, 2009, 2005, 2004, 2001, 2000, 1999, 1982, 1941 (Stupid Mount Union!)
MOL Champs: 1952, 1950

Ron Boerger

Someone has come up with an 'all-"star"' game to be held in Salem, but it's a couple of weeks before the Stagg and players have to pay their own ways, etc etc. 

Part of a discussion on the American Southwest Conference board:

Quote from: Ron Boerger on September 28, 2009, 10:59:34 AM
Quote from: crufootball on September 28, 2009, 10:44:10 AM
Does anybody know anythign about the D3 Football Senior Classic?

http://www.d3seniorclassic.com/

I stumbled across it and had not heard about it? I assume its like the Atzec Bowl but in America but not sure.

I haven't heard anything either, but from browsing the web site it looks like another "if you want to pay your own way we'll be happy to call you an all-star" game.  They're sending letters out to 400 kids (based on what criteria, it's unclear) trying to get 90 to sign up.

Players are required to pay their own way there (including travel and hotel), send a $325 "player participation fee", and are responsible for getting at least another $250 in "sponsorship" for a profile page in the program.