FB: American Southwest Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

txtiger1

Quote from: HSUAlum255 on October 09, 2018, 05:06:15 PM
Quote from: txtiger1 on October 09, 2018, 03:03:35 PM
Fully believe that if ETBU switched up its garbage offensive scheme they could win out and even give UMHB a run like last year. But, I don't think thats happening based on the HPU game so oh wellllllllll. UMHB looks like a national champion from where im sitting.

Not sure what you're complaining about offensively. The defense is the problem, they cannot stop a nose bleed. That has been ETBU's issue forever now. They are very well respected on the offensive side of the ball. I don't understand your comment. You can't call an offense garbage when they are averaging about 42 points per game. Issue is the defense which is giving up about 37 ppg.

That seems true on its face, but the fact is the team is built to go fast, have quick possessions, and score a lot. So giving up 37ppg is definitely not good but it's not as bad as it looks due to the amount of chances opponents get.

The offense has no running game right now. It is what it is, but HSU of all teams should know how uncreative our offense is at the moment. HSU  dropped 7 or 8 in coverage every play and just laughed. They took away vertical passing and we had nothing else. To me, it seems like running some screens, swings, and sweeps would prevent defenses from playing like this. But we refuse to get our athletes in space and work. Johnson (#1) is the best WR I've seen in D3 and I don't think we've thrown him a screen all season. We rely on big plays down the field due to our athleticism which works against belhaven, but not any real contender. We seriously have like a 50% completion rate and still throw for 300 yds a game bc we will get one or two that pop each game.

We just need to find some offensive creativity to make up for our weakness in running game. I have faith and think we have good coaches and the talent to contend with anyone. Just tough to watch our offense rn when facing good defenses.

umhb2001

I believe ETBU needs to recruit deep East Texas, Louisiana, and Arkansas. If they can do that, they should be able to get plenty of talent. Second, I think they need to upgrade their facility a little bit. Visitor bleachers need to go in, and a nice video board added as well will help them set themselves apart from some of the High Schools and Louisiana College. Finally, and this in no way is intended as a shot, but they need to keep their freshman player of the year from last year. I imagine he could have made a huge impact for ETBU this year.

Finally, the D. I know in the early days of UMHB, they took a lot of their skill guys on offense and let them loose on D. This could help ETBU as well.

I hope Luke gets to play a lot this weekend. We can't let down against HPU, which I don't think will happen, but we need to get a lot of backups in, and early, to prevent injury and get playing time. I guess at this point, I'm looking to the kicking game to see what strides are made. I'm also looking forward to seeing some new names. A Twitter post was made about any guys able to kick to come try out. One kicker on Twitter, who plays for UMHB but hasn't played on the Varsity, was upset, but hey, if you aren't getting the job done, then we have to find somebody to kick.
Watch out for the wreckingCRU defense!!

DFWCrufan

A Kicker was upset and he wasn't the kicker in question? Hey kid, if your better, get in there this is your shot at Var. As for the current nod, Lets see... maybe if they at least convert a PAT no one would be tweeting and such. But if your not producing, your wasting space. Sorry but it is true, as a Player and Coach, you don't get it done, don't produce to the expectations of the position? you don't get a spot. The starting kicker as far as I can see has a really weird mechanic to his kick (Yeah I taught kicking mechanics) not smooth at all, and chops at the ball and his body mechanic looks out of sorts. I cannot get a good view of his plant foot and leg angle from videos but I would look at that and the fact he keeps missing.
If I were this cat I'd be out into the dark working on my technique period

Maybe he could look at this, this guy has very good form and mechanics... http://insidethepylon.com/football-101/football-basics/2015/03/02/basic-placekicking-technique-how-to-kick-field-goals/
9 Year Member of the CRU-Nation! UMHB National Champions 2016 and 2018

umhb2001

So the kid that started at kicker for us and traveled to Albright, hit a 41 yd field goal, and hit several PAT's, must have quit after the Albright game cause he isn't on the roster and doesn't show up in any other games. He had hit a 40-50yd fg in a bi-district win last fall for his high school. That is one reason why we are having issues.

txtiger1

Quote from: umhb2001 on October 09, 2018, 09:29:47 PM
I believe ETBU needs to recruit deep East Texas, Louisiana, and Arkansas. If they can do that, they should be able to get plenty of talent. Second, I think they need to upgrade their facility a little bit. Visitor bleachers need to go in, and a nice video board added as well will help them set themselves apart from some of the High Schools and Louisiana College. Finally, and this in no way is intended as a shot, but they need to keep their freshman player of the year from last year. I imagine he could have made a huge impact for ETBU this year.

Finally, the D. I know in the early days of UMHB, they took a lot of their skill guys on offense and let them loose on D. This could help ETBU as well.

Its weird -- we definitely lack the size at lineman position on both sides, but other than that and kicking game, our talent I would put up with anyone in the conference. Especially at QB and WR (though yes hurt that we gave up FOY to UMHB ...hmmm...). So I feel like we should be able to compete -- bc again, defensively you have to gauge on the percentage of possessions that end in points. Since we let teams have more possessions than average -- we will give up more points. Defense can improve, but they are not bad.

This is why the 2nd half of UW-Platteville (they had no real film on us intially, saw our offense and made 2nd half adjustments they shut us down) + the HSU game was so frustrating offensively. Too skilled not to put up points. RJ should touch the ball no fewer than 10 times a game.

HSUDAD

Quote from: CowboyAlum261 on October 08, 2018, 04:32:56 PM
Quote from: HSUDAD on October 08, 2018, 03:03:18 PM
Typing through black and blue eyes today haha...what a butt whooping, score was not really indicative overall. 

Before we get to the game, I just want to say as much as I want to hate everything about the Cru, everyone involved with the program just makes it impossible from the ticket window, gate workers, concessions, student union workers, heck even the campus police officer who kept having to tell us to leave the seating during the lightening delay were polite, courteous and overall friendly people.  Hats off to making a visiting team's game day feel welcomed....

As for the game itself I have so many thoughts, I hope to not just end up rambling.  To take a quote from Coach Dennis Green "the Cru are who we think they are"!!!  Totally dominant in all phases, not worth arguing whether the fumbles and one pic by the Cru were self inflicted mistakes are just good plays by the Cowboy defense.  You guys beat us handily and the score could have been worse. 

Things that need to change if there is a next time and this is mostly frustration talking (I love our team and love our coaches, there is no place I would rather my son be playing).

OC has to make in game adjustments, I just don't see it happening when we face tough defenses. 
We cannot punt the ball to those threats the number of times that we did, punt it out of bounds if necessary. 
Have to find a way to get Childress more quality touches, be more creative like when he was a freshman. 

These are just my honest opinions, if any HSU faithful sees anything differently please let me know.  I really don't like second guessing our coaches and can admit if I am wrong. I just want to say again there is no place my son would rather be and no place I would rather him be.  These coaches have done more for him than we can ever repay and in the end that is the important thing.   

Big question mark that has been asked:

Would Hemphill make a difference, maybe/maybe not.  This past Saturday, I doubt it, we just were not in it offensively (credit to the Cru D),  I guess there is only one way to find out, get him healthy, don't rush him back, and win the rest of our games. 

All this to say, visited with my kid yesterday and the pulse of the team is just fine, lots to learn from the film.  This is not our first time to lose to the Cru and we have never folded up tent before.  I don't expect this team to either.  Sul Ross may be in for a long day this Saturday.
I agree to some extent about the game plan so far this season. We've been hit hard with injuries and I just don't think we've really ever made a great transition from the Marc Reed offense to the Ty Hooper offense. Both are excellent players but the type of game they play is so different. We need more quick developing pass plays to take advantage of Hoop's arm, and not put him in a position where he has to scramble around. We've got to get the run game going consistently as well, Zai Zai was the thunder to Jaquan's lightening, and we just haven't struck a great balance since Jaquan has been out. I have full confidence that our coaching staff will make the necessary adjustments and get the boys in the right positions to make plays. Games like we had this week are huge eye-openers, and at least now we have time to fix our problems before the postseason begins.
I would love to see us go to a more quick developing passing game, Hooper definitely has the arm for that.  I worry though because in all reality Hoop has had several games now, 4 or 5 last year and 3 or 4 this year.  Wouldn't we have seen us go to this quick passing game by now?  It seems against UMHB and Linfield our receivers are running deep fly routes, posts and corners most of the game.  Against those teams there is not enough time for that.  However one thing is for sure, I love and trust our coaches.  One of the teams mottos is "find a way" and I believe they will.

zipmac22

...I'm looking to the kicking game to see what strides are made.

I wonder if anyone has thought of going to the women's soccer team and find one of their players who has a good leg and is "moldable" and give her a crack at it! I mean we aren't having much success with what we have been doing. We will need a kicker if we make it into the playoffs, it could make the difference between a "W" or a "L" and moving deeper into the playoffs!
D3 National Champions:  2016, 2018, 2021

bleedpurple

Quote from: zipmac22 on October 10, 2018, 09:21:20 PM

I wonder if anyone has thought of going to the women's soccer team and find one of their players who has a good leg and is "moldable" and give her a crack at it! I mean we aren't having much success with what we have been doing. We will need a kicker if we make it into the playoffs, it could make the difference between a "W" or a "L" and moving deeper into the playoffs!

Ummm...why wouldn't you go to the men's soccer team? I am guessing it's much more likely to find a stronger leg there.

txtiger1

Quote from: bleedpurple on October 11, 2018, 12:03:04 AM

Ummm...why wouldn't you go to the men's soccer team? I am guessing it's much more likely to find a stronger leg there.

Maybe he thought they had already done that, since its pretty common practice. Be a cool story though if you got a girl kicker and won the natty with her making some kicks. Lol not the thought process you should have as a coach to think of human interest stories in determining positions, but as a casual observer it'd be cool.

umhb2001

Quote from: txtiger1 on October 11, 2018, 11:42:42 AM

Maybe he thought they had already done that, since its pretty common practice. Be a cool story though if you got a girl kicker and won the natty with her making some kicks. Lol not the thought process you should have as a coach to think of human interest stories in determining positions, but as a casual observer it'd be cool.

Looks like we found a former Salado Eagle soccer player to make the roster. http://kdhnews.com/kdhpressbox/sportsstats/high_school/schools/florence/salado-s-loullis-named---a-boys-soccer-mvp/article_8f90b16c-1e6f-11e7-beb6-cb96a7d2b239.html

https://cruathletics.com/roster.aspx?path=football&roster=139&sort=position

Toby Taff

Quote from: umhb2001 on October 11, 2018, 11:51:08 AM

Looks like we found a former Salado Eagle soccer player to make the roster. http://kdhnews.com/kdhpressbox/sportsstats/high_school/schools/florence/salado-s-loullis-named---a-boys-soccer-mvp/article_8f90b16c-1e6f-11e7-beb6-cb96a7d2b239.html

according to this search, he was planning on playing soccer at umhb. https://saladoeaglenation.org/search/constantino%20loullis
My wife and I are Alumni of both UMHB and HSU.  You think you are confused, my kids don't know which Purple and Gold team to pull for.

umhb2001

Quote from: Toby Taff on October 11, 2018, 12:34:48 PM
Quote from: umhb2001 on October 11, 2018, 11:51:08 AM

according to this search, he was planning on playing soccer at umhb. https://saladoeaglenation.org/search/constantino%20loullis

Interesting. I don't see him on the roster.

Ron Boerger

Apparently if he was on the soccer team, he never saw any PT as his name doesn't show in the cumulative stats.

crufootball

You guys will probably see this elsewhere but HPU and UMHB have moved their game to FRIDAY aka tomorrow night at 5 pm. Weather is not looking pretty even then but they say it will give them the best chance of actually playing the game.

QB Jock Itch

I hadn't seen that. Thanks for the heads up. Go CRU