Question on NCAA rule

Started by Jonny Utah, October 19, 2007, 01:18:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Bill

The only time I ever remember it being called was in the '85 Bears-Pats Super Bowl.  Refrigerator Perry was playing fullback when Walter Payton got stuffed at the two.  Perry literally grabbed Payton by both hips, picked him up and carried him into the end zone.  That's the last time I've ever seen it called.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

Jonny Utah

Yea Curry was probably 100% (7-7 or 8-8) on these qb sneaks.....Might have won them the game.

UfanBill

I found this page which hasn't had a post on it since 2007 to bring up a rules question.

In the Syracuse vs. Virginia Tech game today a Hokie punt returner signaled for a fair catch after the punt hit the ground and took a high bounce. He fielded the ball and the play was blown dead as the defender stood closely by. Is this a valid fair catch or should the defense have been free to drill him?
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

DChicks

I don't know if this is still the case, but a decade or two ago I remember seeing Linfield punt, and the returner called for a fair catch after a nice high bounce. He was hit almost immediately after he caught the ball, but a flag was thrown for calling for the fair catch after the bounce (unsportsmanlike conduct, IIRC). I felt a bit sorry for the guy -- called for a fair catch, but then got hit almost immediately and also penalized 15 yards.

NotMyName

Quote from: UfanBill on October 23, 2021, 04:19:50 PM
I found this page which hasn't had a post on it since 2007 to bring up a rules question.

In the Syracuse vs. Virginia Tech game today a Hokie punt returner signaled for a fair catch after the punt hit the ground and took a high bounce. He fielded the ball and the play was blown dead as the defender stood closely by. Is this a valid fair catch or should the defense have been free to drill him?

At the same time I would like to get clarification on if the kick returner on Kick Off signals a fair catch and then the ball hits the ground and the returner fields it - is it a dead ball where he fielded it, live ball, or since it was inside the 25 a fair catch at the 25?

sigma one

I saw this happen in the Wabash game a week ago.  On the kickoff, the ball hit the ground and bounced to the returner who had signaled for a fair catch.  The ball was blown dead at the spot the returner fielded it.  I think it was on the 7 or 8 yard line.