2014 West Regional - McMinnville, OR

Started by Westside, May 07, 2014, 03:09:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrashDavisD3

This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

Colorado

Just out of curiosity: what does a 6 team double elimination Bracket look like? Never paid attention before and when I googled it, it didn't seem to fit my vague recall from Chapman's past experience.

108 Stitches

Here was last year.

http://athletics.concordia.edu/sports/2013/5/8/BB_0508130508.aspx

It is a huge advantage because it is their home field in the home town. D'Oh. Many of the teams play on natural grass and have to get used to the speed of turf fields.

Weather looks like it is going to be great. Looking forward to the wineries between games.  :P

CrashDavisD3

Chapman won with sunny days on the turf at Linfield in 2009 and lost in rain/turf in 2010. It does play very different than grass. It plays fast with true hops. Bunting is definitely different.
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

Jack Parkman

Quote from: CrashDavisD3 on May 07, 2014, 09:31:22 PM
Quote from: Whatagame on May 07, 2014, 09:08:56 PM
Why is it an advantage?  The turf mounds seem to play very neutral. Colorado's post on the SCIAC forum about the "elevated" Hart Park mound seems to speak of more of an advantage to me.  Turf mounds in the NWC are smart, I've seen weekends with 4 inches of rain when the the games were played, no rain-outs, because of the turf.

Deal with it!
Yes 5 teams dirt mounds 1 team turf mound. Your right the players will deal with it. Baseball should use dirt mounds period all at the same height and angle. My opinion. 

Yes baseball can be played in pouring rain with low temps wind blowing rain sideways and freezing temps in Oregon. I know. I watched a game in that wonderful baseball weather in 2010. I expect Linfield to go back to Appleton. They are the best team regardless of weather conditions or turf or no turf field. Regionals should be rotated from NW to SoCal to Texas IMO.

I think the only place in CA the regional could be played is Chapman but the NCAA seems to have stayed away in the past few years.  Anyone have any idea why?  Is it because it's a city park and not on campus?

Westside

The turf will be a lot less of a factor when it it is dry, I think. It's the wet turf that makes it really difficult when you aren't used to it.

At least true bullpen and field mound are turf, so it won't be a drastic change.

Any of you guys planning to be at the regional?
NWC Baseball

wildcat11

Crash is bitching about the one time he was rained on in 2010...must be time for the regionals!

Whatagame

Quote from: Jack Parkman on May 07, 2014, 11:08:40 PM
Why is it an advantage?  The turf mounds seem to play very neutral. Colorado's post on the SCIAC forum about the "elevated" Hart Park mound seems to speak of more of an advantage to me.  Turf mounds in the NWC are smart, I've seen weekends with 4 inches of rain when the the games were played, no rain-outs, because of the turf.

Deal with it!
Yes 5 teams dirt mounds 1 team turf mound. Your right the players will deal with it. Baseball should use dirt mounds period all at the same height and angle. My opinion. 

Yes baseball can be played in pouring rain with low temps wind blowing rain sideways and freezing temps in Oregon. I know. I watched a game in that wonderful baseball weather in 2010. I expect Linfield to go back to Appleton. They are the best team regardless of weather conditions or turf or no turf field. Regionals should be rotated from NW to SoCal to Texas IMO.

I think the only place in CA the regional could be played is Chapman but the NCAA seems to have stayed away in the past few years.  Anyone have any idea why?  Is it because it's a city park and not on campus?

Chapman can't host a regional because there is no snack bar at Hart Park.  Weak!

Jack Parkman

Quote from: Whatagame on May 07, 2014, 11:27:00 PM

Deal with it!

Chapman can't host a regional because there is no snack bar at Hart Park.  Weak!

I honestly don't know if you are being serious or not but if that is true it is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard.

Teddy_Ballgame

Quote from: CrashDavisD3 on May 07, 2014, 10:12:52 PM
Chapman won with sunny days on the turf at Linfield in 2009 and lost in rain/turf in 2010. It does play very different than grass. It plays fast with true hops. Bunting is definitely different.
Quote from: wildcat11 on May 07, 2014, 11:20:40 PM
Crash is bitching about the one time he was rained on in 2010...must be time for the regionals!
In fairness, I think Crash is selectively forgetting the beginning of the 2009 tournament- or maybe the whole week seemed like sunshine watching Chapman win another regional. But there was definitely rain both years, and forced the 2009 tournament to start a day late. One of those things where, yeah you play the game. You play it in whatever weather you can. But you can't claim that a team that is used to playing in the rain doesn't have an advantage over a So Cal or Texas team who almost never does. It really affects a baseball game, and the team used to rain can make adjustments more quickly. But so it goes. And in whatever weather, if Linfield wins it this year I don't think anybody with half a brain will try to make excuses. They're the real deal.

As for the turf, I think that's a bigger deal for guys that have never played on it- at least in the first game. 2009-2010 regionals were my only college experiences on a turf field, and taking ground balls at third was very different (wet or dry). But it's something you get used to, and being able to practice on the field before the regional starts is definitely helpful. I'm not sure about the fields in the SCAC, but obviously Concordia has turf so they or any other ASC team will have some experience with it. CLU and Chapman, so far as I can tell, haven't had the chance to play on turf yet this year. Could be a small adjustment period for them.

108 Stitches

Trinity played at Concordia this year during the regular season, and last year in the Regionals they played outstanding defense on the Concordia turf  field.  The middle infield and OF is the same as last year so I don't think this will be an issue. Beating Linfield on their home field IS the issue and the only thing that prevented that last year were a couple of key timely hits. All of the games last year were close, and this year I would expect the same thing. It is a matter of getting hot in all aspects of your game and executing. Advantage Linfield - but there would be nothing sweeter than beating them on their home field.

Westside4, I will be there, already have my hotel booked in McMinnville and airline tickets! (booked the hotel in January so I did not have to stay an hour away ;))

BigPoppa

Quote from: wildcat11 on May 07, 2014, 11:20:40 PM

:)
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Whatagame

Quote from: Jack Parkman on May 08, 2014, 12:58:55 AM

Deal with it!

I honestly don't know if you are being serious or not but if that is true it is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard.

Well, I'm just poking good-natured fun, but, it is true - no snack bar.  There's a couple of water fountains.  Nice restrooms though - no porta-pottys.

SoCalSoxFan

Quote from: Westside4 on May 07, 2014, 11:09:56 PM
The turf will be a lot less of a factor when it it is dry, I think. It's the wet turf that makes it really difficult when you aren't used to it.

At least true bullpen and field mound are turf, so it won't be a drastic change.

Any of you guys planning to be at the regional?

Yes, I'll be there

SoCalSoxFan

[

But there are always fiesta's and party's going on in the Park.  Somebody is always cooking carne asada...
I've been tempted to ask to buy some because it smells so good.

Plus, the ice cream/snack guys who push their carts selling to all the kids and parents at the Park... that should count!