My Attempt at Fixing D3 Football Selection Process

Started by '95 Blugold, November 23, 2021, 01:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crufootball

Quote from: Pat Coleman on January 20, 2022, 11:15:10 AM
That would provide a bunch of programmers a lot of work. :)

After living through Y2K I can only imagine the anxiety when they flipped the switch haha

Etchglow

Quote from: crufootball on January 21, 2022, 09:12:16 AM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on January 20, 2022, 11:15:10 AM
That would provide a bunch of programmers a lot of work. :)

After living through Y2K I can only imagine the anxiety when they flipped the switch haha

Just wait until January 19, 2038 03:14:07 when the 32 bit unix time stamp rolls over to January 1 1970 :D.  Us lazy programmers probably will forget about it until the last second lol. 

Ron Boerger

Well, the Division III membership just "fixed" this by approving the 6 team minimum, both for conference AQs and single-sport conferences.  You can expect the Pool C bid to go the way of the Pool B in football in the next few years. 

Inkblot

I did a breakdown of how many football schools each all-sports conference has: https://twitter.com/InkblotSports/status/1488679823320956928

The CCC and MASCAC no longer need affiliates to hit the minimum.
Moderator of /r/CFB. https://inkblotsports.com. Twitter: @InkblotSports.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Inkblot on February 01, 2022, 08:17:03 PM
I did a breakdown of how many football schools each all-sports conference has: https://twitter.com/InkblotSports/status/1488679823320956928

Nor does the ASC.

Inkblot

Quote from: Ralph Turner on February 02, 2022, 04:41:18 PM
Quote from: Inkblot on February 01, 2022, 08:17:03 PM

Nor does the ASC.

True. But that was already the case, until Belhaven's departure dropped it from 7 to 6.

Caz Bombers

D3Playbook had the breakdown this morning of how conferences voted and how each school voted on this proposal.

Not sure what it all means but it was interesting to look at.

Jonny Utah

This may have been asked here, but what happens if conference realignments happen and there are over 32 conferences (quick math tells me 241 teams/6 per conference equals a possible 40 conferences in d3football.

So you have 40 conferences with 6 teams each.  What happens then?  No you are back to square one and have to pick who gets the AQ correct?

Inkblot

It appears that more football schools voted for the proposal than against it.

Kira & Jaxon's Dad

Quote from: Caz Bombers on February 03, 2022, 01:47:33 PM
D3Playbook had the breakdown this morning of how conferences voted and how each school voted on this proposal.

So John Carrol voted Yes for the proposal, but I think I read an article where they voiced an opinion on how this would hurt their chances of making the playoffs in football. ???
National Champions - 13: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Kira & Jaxon's Dad on February 04, 2022, 07:20:31 AM
Quote from: Caz Bombers on February 03, 2022, 01:47:33 PM

So John Carrol voted Yes for the proposal, but I think I read an article where they voiced an opinion on how this would hurt their chances of making the playoffs in football. ???

Not all schools may end up casting their votes solely based on football.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

BSCpanthers

I expect some conferences(football affiliates) to look different in 2023.  One thing this does is make room for more non conference games, which is better than some conferences that only have room for one non conference game.

Etchglow

I suppose the fact that Pool C could go away might have one benefit as long as the number of AQ's was equal to the number of playoff berths.  Island teams wouldn't have to worry as much about finding D3 opponents for non-conference play.  It could save a lot of money on travel. 

MRMIKESMITH

Quote from: BSCpanthers on February 04, 2022, 10:05:57 AM
I expect some conferences(football affiliates) to look different in 2023.  One thing this does is make room for more non conference games, which is better than some conferences that only have room for one non conference game.

It does open the doors for non-conference matchups, however, I'd see most of these conferences strike deals similar to that of the LL and E8, they'll play 2/3 teams from the opposing conference to save time and cost.

IC798891

How would I do it, in a world where I can do anything I want?

I'd ask institutions (presidents and ADs) for 100% honest answers to a tough two-part question:

Do you really believe your football program should be competing for the same current end goal as programs such as Mount Union, MHB, NCC? Or would it be better served competing with programs on a different tier?

I'd take those responses and create at least one, possibly more divisions.

At the core, there is no way around the fact that we've just got programs who are ostensibly not competing for the same thing. I'm not talking about players or coaches. I'm talking about the institutional willingness to look at the current D3 football landscape and decide: We want to put forth the expense and effort, institutionally, to compete with those handful of teams at the top.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with saying: Hey, we love having a football program, and we love providing continuing athletic opportunities for student-athletes in football. But yeah, we're not in the Mount, MHB category, and we don't need to be in the same system