2021 Game Notes

Started by SimpleCoach, September 03, 2021, 06:33:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maine Soccer Fan

I was at the Messiah v W&L game yesterday.
Bias: Messiah fan
Just a few random thoughts in no particular order:

- Messiah started slow, again, and it really doesn't serve them well. W&L had notably more possession in the opening minutes.
- Neither team had many chances in the first half with the very notable exception of W&L #36 burying his attempt with a beautiful turn and finish.
- Both keepers made plays on high balls but neither were really tested in the 1st half, aside from W&L's goal.
- When Messiah spread the field they looked dangerous but they weren't able to do it very often.
- Both of W&L's goals from the run of play were excellent, not good, excellent. Couldn't have been more different one from another, either. Spin and shot in the box; a blast form 22 yards. These finishes are what make people like me watch soccer.
- They more I watch Messiah, the more I'm reminded of 'Fergie Time' from MU's dominant years. Many teams would hold on against MU until around minute 65 or 70, when the wearying effect of MU's possession, probing, and tactics, both physically and mentally, would take it's toll. Then the inevitable goal/s would come. Messiah does the same thing. Of course they want to score in the first 10 minutes but they believe they will score in the final 30 minutes, perhaps multiple times.
- W&L were gassed by minute 70, especially the defenders. #21 was doing a simple push move and beating them repeatedly, as was #11 down the middle. Of course, the point of 'Fergie Time' is that you score during it. Messiah created many chances but didn't finish them. There was some very good defending by WLU, closing down angles and making Messiah work.
- There might be a better pure scorer in Div 3 than #36, but if there is, he's even better at hide-and-go-seek (the hiding part) than soccer. #36 is just a pure scorer. He knows how he wants to finish before the ball arrives and four touches later, it's in the net. A goal, a PK, and an assist Sunday; Saturday, 3 goals. And he's a drifter...he drifts in and out of the game then the ball appears at his feet and he makes something happen. Resented him yesterday; admire him today.
- All the best to W&L, they were ranked #1 for a reason.

jknezek

I think this matches a lot of what I saw on the video as well. I think the Generals looked very confident in defense until Messiah's pk, and then the game shifted. Messiah gained belief and the Generals were either gassed or just started making mental mistakes. It didn't cost them, but watching Messiah foe the last 10-12 minutes have me wondering where it was at 2-0.

PaulNewman

A little detail that no one has mentioned....on the first W&L goal, Samuel Bass, the Charlotte, NC product looked like he had a clear opening for a very good shot, and in the moment I thought he had made an error slipping the ball over in a crowd to Zimmerman.  Obviously he made the right play getting the ball to the hot hand but Bass himself is one of W&L's top offensive talents and when he didn't shoot I wasn't sure the pass would even get through to Zimmerman. 

Would be great if someone can post a video clip of that sequence.

d3closefollower

Messiah had a fantastic look with about 5 left.  Absolutely should have scored it.  Their forward put it over the top.  If they score that, it's 3-2 and they get some belief that they can tie it and force OT.  I thought W and L were stretched and exposed too often the last 15 minutes.  They needed numbers behind the ball to just see the game out.  Not sure why they didn't do that, but they move on and are a great side.

Maine Soccer Fan

Quote from: d3closefollower on November 22, 2021, 05:20:46 PM
Messiah had a fantastic look with about 5 left.  Absolutely should have scored it.  Their forward put it over the top.  If they score that, it's 3-2 and they get some belief that they can tie it and force OT.  I thought W and L were stretched and exposed too often the last 15 minutes.  They needed numbers behind the ball to just see the game out.  Not sure why they didn't do that, but they move on and are a great side.

Yup.
There were several instances when I wanted Messiah to just rip one low and hard, rather than making another pass. The moment that you cite was one of those. I'm a big proponent of "make the 'keeper make the play". I like a pretty goal as much as the next guy but sometimes it's better to drive it low and hard to the far corner and force the 'keeper to perform and the defense to clean up if he makes the save. I think Messiah would have benefited from that approach a few times.

SimpleCoach

Ok.  Since am trying to figure out different platforms for a possible live stream, I tried a real one.  As you know, I've done a whole counting passes thing and opted to review it.

It's nothing fancy  ... mostly cause I don't know how to do fancy yet ... and a bit longish.  But hey, I finally got to talk about my own personal insanity!

Does Passing Matter in D3 Soccer?

My goal in life is to be a YouTube Influencer.  This is the start of my empire. 

FBALLISLIFE

Loved the video.  Thanks for sharing a glipse into the madness.

I think it would be interesting to see how the passing ratios change with different personnel on the field.  Amherst #10 and W&L #4 (as two examples) were players I would assume you never saw play in the first 10 minutes, since both largely came off the bench, yet both have a significant impact on their respective teams' style of play.  Not a criticism, and certainly not something that changes the first 10 mins.  But it would be interesting nonetheless.

When you captured stats for one team, did you always capture for the opponent as well?  It would be interesting to compare passing to actual results within games.

SimpleCoach

Quote from: FBALLISLIFE on November 24, 2021, 04:12:00 PM
When you captured stats for one team, did you always capture for the opponent as well?  It would be interesting to compare passing to actual results within games.

Yes.  I counted for both teams.  And who they were playing against.  I am thinking through how I can compare one team against the averages of teams they have faced or will face.  The other is that I am trying to sort out how to compare pass rates with records.  Kind of like a Massey rating of sorts.

FBALLISLIFE

Quote from: SimpleCoach on November 25, 2021, 06:13:32 AM

I am thinking through how I can compare one team against the averages of teams they have faced or will face.  The other is that I am trying to sort out how to compare pass rates with records.  Kind of like a Massey rating of sorts.

That would be really cool to see.

Centennial1

Thanks for doing the video: I appreciate the work. I see the beginnings of D3 soccer's version of Moneyball.

SimpleCoach

Quote from: Centennial1 on November 27, 2021, 01:41:09 PM
Thanks for doing the video: I appreciate the work. I see the beginnings of D3 soccer's version of Moneyball.

Nah, hope not.  Love that there is no one way to play this game....

Think my next video is going to be the Top games I have watched this season ... going to try a new software ....

SimpleCoach

So enjoying the day, and decided to do a video.  Testing streaming software, now including video?!  I am getting sophisticated...

Top 5 Most Memorable Games in 2021 ... by me.

SimpleCoach

Amherst v Connecticut
National Championship
4 December 2021

-   Connecticut is caught up in the Amherst vortex.
-   Amherst game plan is to get as many throw in's as possible.
-   I have to believe that Amherst will run out of steam more quickly than usual.
-   Conn just needs to hold and deal with the pressure.  And figure out how to keep the ball on the deck and to feet.
-   Conn is slowly finding their place.  First 25 minutes it was Amherst's game.
-   Pace has slowed from Amherst but continue to press.  Conn is able to move the ball a little better.  And haven't seen a flip throw in like 10 minutes!
-   Again, Amherst get's away with playing so physically because the ref permits a lot of physical activity.
-   I like how Conn has taken control of the game.  Two touch soccer.  It's the only way to deal with Amherst.
-   The overly dramatic responses by Amherst players to any call that goes against them is tiresome.
-   Nil-Nil at the half.....
-   Conn doing much better to start the second half.  Amherst still pressing as they do, but not as effective. Conn is able to connect a bit more. 
-   Amherst pressure is not nearly as intense as it was in the first 20 minutes.
-   And Conn gets a goal.  Corner kick on a fantastic save by the Amherst Keeper.  Ball swung far post and headed in.  No back post man?  And the Amherst defender was literally hugging the Conn forward.
-   Regardless of outcome, this is the result of Conn just being patient and dealing with the pressure all game.
-   You can see in certain instances where Amherst is getting nervous.  Simple mistakes because they are being rushed ..... to kick the ball long.
-   Conn is feeling it.  Getting comfortable moving the ball under pressure.
-   20 minutes left.
-   Amherst looking for anything to happen in the box, but Conn is being disciplined in the back.
-   Amherst has a 6'8 guy.  Think his position is to be anywhere there is a high ball.
-   11 minutes left.
-   Announcer just said Amherst has only had 2 corner kicks.
-   Conn #23 is the best freshman left back in the country.  He also makes mistakes like he is freshman.
-   I do like the Amherst Keeper.  Made two huge saves and he is very solid in the air.
-   4 minutes left.
-   Amherst is looking spent.  Lots of standing around, and the pressure is non-existent by their standards.
-   2 minutes.
-   Remarkable.  Chaos in front of the goal and Amherst scores the tying goal.  Why the Conn Keeper didn't come out for it, I don't know.
-   And we go to OT.
-   First half of OT over. 
-   On to the second half.
-   In both halves, Conn has done well in possession.   Now they need to reward themselves.
-   Amherst is coached to wrap their arms around the player they are defending on a corner or set play.  Conn should have gotten a PK after Conn player was pulled down by Amherst#12.
-   Amherst just get's dangerous when you least expect it.
-   1-1 after 110 minutes.
-   Penalty Kicks to decide who will be the national champion.  On that note, I will not be watching.  Am out.
-   Interesting that they have switched Conn Keepers.
-   Ok.  I am watching.  The Conn Keeper who replaced the Conn Keeper just made two remarkable saves to his right on the first two PKs Amherst took.  The second one was full on incredible.  Now I know why they switched them.
-   And Connecticut College are the 2021 National Champions.

SimpleCoach

So pulled together my observations from the game.

We have a winner!

Hope you enjoy!

PaulNewman

Quote from: SimpleCoach on December 05, 2021, 09:57:53 AM
So pulled together my observations from the game.

We have a winner!

Hope you enjoy!

Again...really enjoyable to watch..and great to get this level of stuff from someone who for the most part really is a neutral with no obvious affiliation to any team, conference, etc.

Now go walk that dog haha!