BB: Pool B

Started by Bronko7, April 21, 2008, 09:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Quote from: infielddad on July 23, 2009, 01:07:07 PM
Baseball America is reporting today that Centenary is dropping from DI to DIII in all sports by 2011.
With their location in Louisiana, it would appear they could be a future Pool B independent.  Conference affiliations would be limited to the ASC and SCAC.
I am not that familiar with their academic status but I guess if DePauw were to leave the SCAC as I saw being discussed, Centenary could be a replacement????
infielddad, Centenary will be a full member of D-III, and eligible for the playoffs in 2016.

Centenary is a member of the Associated Colleges of the South.

www.colleges.edu

The ASC wants Centenary for the East Division.  They would make the 8th team.

I think that President Rowe has Centenary rebounding with a new spirit and will be warmly welcomed into the SCAC by then.

Bob Maxwell

Thanks Ralph...

Witch out everyone, Pool B is recruiting teams... LOL.

Bronko7

Believe the Upper Midwest Athletic Conf. gets the Pool A status 2010-11.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: BRONKO7 on July 27, 2009, 11:46:56 AM
Believe the Upper Midwest Athletic Conf. gets the Pool A status 2010-11.

Yes, I also think that they will be Pool A in 2010-11.

BigPoppa

That does not leave much in Pool B (unless the WIAC falls into Pool B if LaCrosse drops baseball).
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

LTBB1971

It be a shame if Shenandoah really leaves USA SOUTH next year.  They have gotten their program to a top level and I was hoping for them to join NC Wesleyan, CNU and Methodist as every year contenders.

wustlfan37

I know it's a little early for this, but what does Pool B look like for the upcoming year?  How many Pool B bids will be awarded?

I know that the UMAC and the CAC are planning to move to Pool A, but I don't really know in which season the switch will take effect.  Competitive teams like St. Scholastica, Salisbury, and York (who all made regionals) who would move to Pool A will have a huge impact on Pool B.
Strikeouts are boring - besides that, they're fascist.  Throw some ground balls.  More democratic.

CrashDavisD3

See prior post for 2010 season. GUESTIMATE 4 POOL teams slots available in 2010.

http://www.d3boards.com/index.php?topic=5816.msg1078572#msg1078572
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

BigPoppa

Why doesn't WashU join the SLIAC? I understand they are in the UAA with other research schools, but the move to the SLIAC would be easy as they already play nearly the entire conference. I think it would greatly enhance their chances of getting a bid as I feel they would be one of the favorites in the SLIAC every year.

CrashDavisD3

With POOL B shrinking each year the same can be said will Chapman ever rejoin the SCIAC conference. SCIAC teams are all within 75 miles of Chapman and many of Chapman's games each year are with SCIAC teams. Chapman was an associate member of the SCIAC conference in the early 50's for a few years.

With ongoing budget cuts at most schools less schools will spend money to travel into CA for Chapman to play and less trips out of CA for Chapman also.

Of course if Chapman was in the SCIAC last year they would not have made a trip to the Regionals or World Series last year.

Cal Tech is not competive in any sport in the SCIAC and should consider moving to CLUB STATUS for many of their sports and maybe Chapman could replace them someday. Just thoughts from a single person. Cal Tech was 0-29 last year and most years loses almost all of its games in baseball. A school with brilliant students that play for the love of the game but can not compete with teams they play.

Hope I dont get any hate mail on this one......It is very unlikely for this to occur anytime soon.

http://www.thesciac.org/information/about/index

http://www.thesciac.org/sports/bsb/2008-09/standings
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

wustlfan37

Quote from: BigPoppa on October 01, 2009, 08:16:40 AM
Why doesn't WashU join the SLIAC? I understand they are in the UAA with other research schools, but the move to the SLIAC would be easy as they already play nearly the entire conference. I think it would greatly enhance their chances of getting a bid as I feel they would be one of the favorites in the SLIAC every year.

I think it is due in part to what you said, the fact that WashU is more similar to the schools in the UAA than the schools in the SLIAC.  Also, while it would probably be a valid consideration for baseball, other sports like basketball, tennis, and volleyball (all national champions in one or both of the last two years by the way) don't play that many SLIAC teams, so it wouldn't really make sense for the school switch conferences for the convenience of one sport.

It's been mentioned around here though, you're definitely not the only one who feels that way.....
Strikeouts are boring - besides that, they're fascist.  Throw some ground balls.  More democratic.

Bronko7

Does anyone want to take a crack at the estimated amount of Pool B slots that will be available for 2010? By my math I believe it will only be 4.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Ralph Turner on July 17, 2009, 09:45:28 PM
Okay Crash, let me give it a guesstimate.  I will take the 2009 list and project 2010.

Quote from: Ralph Turner on December 12, 2008, 09:28:57 PM
This topic is to discuss the Pool B teams for the playoffs.

Here is the link for the FAQ on national playoff criteria for 52 Pool B teams.

For the 2009 season, the 52 Pool B teams are listed by region:

Central Region:  (3)
Univ. of Chicago
Nebraska Wesleyan
Washington U St Louis (UAA)

Mid-Atlantic:  (5 0)  Landmark should get full Pool A status in 2009-10.
Drew (LAND)
Juniata (LAND)
Moravian (LAND)
Scranton (LAND)
Susquehanna (LAND)

Mideast:  (2)
Case Western Reserve (UAA)
Finlandia

Midwest:  (8 -- all UMAC; 0 in 2011)  UMAC anticipates full member conference status in 2010-11.
Bethany Lutheran
College of St Scholastica
Crown
Martin Luther
MN-Morris
Northland
Northwestern
Presentation (becomes a full member in 2009-10)

New England:  (8 ; only 2 in 2011)
Becker (NECC)
Brandeis (UAA)
Daniel Webster (NECC)
Elms (NECC)
[Lesley is adding baseball in 2011.  Now the NECC says it will get the AQ in 2011.]
U Maine-Presque Isle
Mitchell (NECC)    (becomes a full member in 2009-10)
Newbury (NECC)
Southern Vermont (NECC)

New York:  (11  10)

Baruch (CUNYAC)
City College of New York  (CUNYAC)
Ithaca (E8)
John Jay (CUNYAC)
Lehman  (CUNYAC)
Rochester Institute of Technology (E8) (Moves to the LL in 2011-12)
St John Fisher (E8)
College of Staten Island (CUNYAC)
Stevens Tech (E8)
US Merchant Marine Acadmey (LAND)
Utica (E8)

South:  (  13  6 )  Capital should get its Pool A status in 2010 for baseball.

Catholic (LAND)
Emory (UAA)
Gallaudet (CAC) Anticipating its move to the NEAC in 2010-11.
Huntingdon (GSAC)
LaGrange (GSAC)
Mary Washington (CAC)
Maryville (GSAC)
Piedmont (GSAC)
Rust
St Mary's MD (CAC)
Salisbury (CAC)
Stevenson (CAC)
Wesley (CAC)
York PA (CAC)

West:  ( 3  )

Chapman
CSU-East Bay Moves to D-II in 2010-11
Univ of Dallas
Menlo

EDIT:  Menlo added to the list when confirmed by Menlo Coach Matt Daily.

I think that there will be 40 Pool B teams, which will give 4 Pool B bids.  

Quote from: BRONKO7 on November 12, 2009, 02:41:13 PM
Does anyone want to take a crack at the estimated amount of Pool B slots that will be available for 2010? By my math I believe it will only be 4.

I think so, too.

Updated -- November 13, 2009.  We project 26 Pool B teams in 2011 which should give 2 Pool B bids, if the NECC earns its Pool A bid in 2011 with the addition of Lesley as a 7th team.

BigPoppa

I have not heard any updayes on the WIAC as far as LaCrosse's role for 2010 or the future. Anyone know if/when the WIAC will move to Pool B?

Ralph Turner

Quote from: BigPoppa on November 13, 2009, 10:18:08 AM
I have not heard any updayes on the WIAC as far as LaCrosse's role for 2010 or the future. Anyone know if/when the WIAC will move to Pool B?
A conference gets a 2-year grace period to get back to the minimum seven teams.

If they needed to, they could get Finlandia as an affiliate.

Is there any advanrtage to Finlandia to do that?

Is it more advantageous for the WIAC to go head-to-head against Chapman, Emory, WUSTL, and E8 in Pool B for a limited number of Pool B slots?