BB: Pool B

Started by Bronko7, April 21, 2008, 09:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Lesley in the NECC is adding baseball in 2011, so that conference with its 7 members is leaving Pool B.  There goes another Pool B bid in 2011.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: BigPoppa on November 13, 2009, 10:18:08 AM
I have not heard any updayes on the WIAC as far as LaCrosse's role for 2010 or the future. Anyone know if/when the WIAC will move to Pool B?

I believe that UW-LaX is keeping baseball for the indefinate future.

CrashDavisD3

The incredible shrinking POOL B BIDS   
2009 6 teams
2010 looks like it may go to 4 teams
2011 may go to 2 teams is what I have read in prior posts.....

So teams that remain are in Pool B must have much better records than in the past years or risk missing a place at the dance....OR Pool B teams may have to join Pool A conferences if feasable/possible.

Any chance the NCAA would keep Pool A and POOL C and eliminate POOL B bids dropping the Pool B's into Pool C teams. Looks like there going that direction each year with the lower number of Pool B teams.
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

Ralph Turner

Quote from: CrashDavisD3 on November 14, 2009, 12:17:22 AM
The incredible shrinking POOL B BIDS   
2009 6 teams
2010 looks like it may go to 4 teams
2011 may go to 2 teams is what I have read in prior posts.....

So teams that remain are in Pool B must have much better records than in the past years or risk missing a place at the dance....OR Pool B teams may have to join Pool A conferences if feasable/possible.

Any chance the NCAA would keep Pool A and POOL C and eliminate POOL B bids dropping the Pool B's into Pool C teams. Looks like there going that direction each year with the lower number of Pool B teams.
Good evening Crash.

Pool B is the middle ground and the interim solution for lots of things.

It is a place to consider newly-formed conferences.

We will always have independents.  They need access to the tourney, too.

Pool B teams are considered in Pool C after the Pool B bids are allocated.  Pool B just functions as a really big pseudo-conference.

I like the effect that the Pool system has had.

It has strengthened the conferences, which I believe gives better governance.

Conferences make scheduling more predictable.

The Pools (and the AQ's)  have encouraged schools to add sports.  If all you have to do is to be the best among your peers, then that is quite a goal and quite an accomplishment.  I know we spend a lot of time on the national level and with the Pool C teams, but I take joy in the fact that the NEAC's, the UMAC's and the NECC's can access a structure that will permit their institutions to improve the athletic offerings.

You do make a good point.

I know that the GSAC wants to merge with the USA South.  I think that will happen when Shenandoah finally pushes the matter.

If I were the commissioner of the CUNYAC, I would do whatever I could to affiliate with a Pool A conference.

After those 2 conferences moved into Pool A status, that would leave the big dogs... the E8, the UAA, and Chapman fighting for one Pool B bid!

CrashDavisD3

I have liked what Pool B has done given teams access to the tourney but with shrinking # of teams in Pool B will this access disappear in the future or make it must more difficult.

Thanks again as always for your excellent comments and insight to the process...

I will end with quote for today....

People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
--Rogers Hornsby
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."

Ralph Turner

Quote from: CrashDavisD3 on November 14, 2009, 01:04:26 AM
I have liked what Pool B has done given teams access to the tourney but with shrinking # of teams in Pool B will this access disappear in the future or make it must more difficult.

As long as we have an adequate number of Pool C bids to give, then those Pool B teams that did not earn a Pool B can be considered with the rest of Pool C.   :)

Thanks for the kind words...

(Rogers Hornsby...a native Texan from Winters, just 38 miles south of McMurry.   ;)  )

hickory_cornhusker

Quote from: Ralph Turner on November 13, 2009, 06:09:21 PM
Quote from: BigPoppa on November 13, 2009, 10:18:08 AM
I have not heard any updayes on the WIAC as far as LaCrosse's role for 2010 or the future. Anyone know if/when the WIAC will move to Pool B?
A conference gets a 2-year grace period to get back to the minimum seven teams.

If they needed to, they could get Finlandia as an affiliate.

Is there any advanrtage to Finlandia to do that?

Is it more advantageous for the WIAC to go head-to-head against Chapman, Emory, WUSTL, and E8 in Pool B for a limited number of Pool B slots?

I think it would be a great benefit to Finlandia to join the WIAC as an affiliate. It would give them a much more stable schedule. They want to add several sports up in Hancock, MI and I would imagine they are looking for a conference to call home. The WIAC is not going to happen but in the short term it would give them a decent schedule.

I think the WIAC is better off taking Finlandia to get the AQ. Without that the conference tournament is more likely to hurt your national tournament chances than help. Winning it only gives you a few games to help your resume and losing it hurts your resume. Also if a #4 seed comes out of no where and takes the tournament they won't get a Pool B or a Pool C bid and you hurt all of your other teams' chances. With the shrinking number of Pool B's it doesn't look like a smart move at this time.

CrashDavisD3

For 2010 which teams are in Pool B. I saw there are now only 4 Pool B bids available for 2010.

Thanks

JohnnyU

I count...

Chapman, UDallas, Nebraska Wesleyan, the UAA (UC, Case, WU, Brandeis, Emory), the E8 (Ithaca, St. John Fisher, RIT, Stevens, Utica), the GSAC (Piedmont, Huntingdon, Lagrange, Maryville), the UMAC (CSS, BLU, Presentation, Martin Luther, Minn-Morris, Crown), the CUNYAC (Baruch, CSI, Mitchell, John Jay, Lehman, CCNY), and the NECC (Becker, Elms, Southern Vermont, Daniel Webster, and Newbury)

So 36 teams in all. Let me know if I missed anyone.

CrashDavisD3

Is Menlo or La Sierra in Pool B ?

Jim Dixon

Quote from: CrashDavisD3 on January 28, 2010, 06:00:27 PM

Both.  I am not sure who is provisional but noting the performance of La Sierra last year it probably does not matter.

wustlfan37

Quote from: JohnnyU on January 28, 2010, 04:35:47 PM
I count...

Chapman, UDallas, Nebraska Wesleyan, the UAA (UC, Case, WU, Brandeis, Emory), the E8 (Ithaca, St. John Fisher, RIT, Stevens, Utica), the GSAC (Piedmont, Huntingdon, Lagrange, Maryville), the UMAC (CSS, BLU, Presentation, Martin Luther, Minn-Morris, Crown), the CUNYAC (Baruch, CSI, Mitchell, John Jay, Lehman, CCNY), and the NECC (Becker, Elms, Southern Vermont, Daniel Webster, and Newbury)

Is the UMAC moving to Pool A this year, or is that not until 2011? 

If it's this year, that would leave even fewer Pool B bids.
Strikeouts are boring - besides that, they're fascist.  Throw some ground balls.  More democratic.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Jim Dixon on January 28, 2010, 08:02:01 PM
Quote from: CrashDavisD3 on January 28, 2010, 06:00:27 PM

Both.  I am not sure who is provisional but noting the performance of La Sierra last year it probably does not matter.

According to scuttle-butt on the basketball boards, La Sierra is leaving d3 after this year.

BaseballFan

Quote from: wustlfan37 on January 28, 2010, 08:11:22 PM
Quote from: JohnnyU on January 28, 2010, 04:35:47 PM
I count...

Is the UMAC moving to Pool A this year, or is that not until 2011? 

If it's this year, that would leave even fewer Pool B bids.
2011 I believe

Ralph Turner

Menlo usually declares for NCAA.

Yes, the UMAC is scheduled to move to Pool A for eligible sports in 2010-11.

In the NECC, Lesley is adding baseball in 2010-11 to give the 7th team. I am not sure when the conference will qualify for Pool A after that (2013?).

Frostburg St is moving to the Captial and should fill the spot for the departing Gallaudet.

The Landmark is getting their Pool A this year.

I count 8 independents, 4 GSAC, 4 unique UAA, 5 E8 headed to 4 in 2012 with RIT leaving and 5 remaining CUNYAC as affiliate Mitchell moves to the NECC.

I think that the would be 25 teams by 2013, which would be 2 Pool B bids, as stated elsewhere.

I wonder if those E8 and CUNYAC schools ought to affiliate into one conference to get a Pool A bid.  Have the conference arrange a playoff among the top teams.  In the third season, they would have a Pool A bid.