BB: Pool B

Started by Bronko7, April 21, 2008, 09:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigPoppa

Where is the University of New Orleans planning to land in their move to D3?
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: BigPoppa on September 30, 2010, 02:06:46 PM
Where is the University of New Orleans planning to land in their move to D3?
The ASC-East

Ralph Turner

First Projections for 2011  27 teams listed in this projection.

Central (3)
Chicago (Ind; does not participate in the UAA)
Neb Wesleyan (Ind)
Wash StL (UAA)

Mid-Atlantic  (1  2)
Baptist Bible (Ind; does not participate in the CSAC)
Lancaster Bible (New for 2011)

Mid-East (2)
Case Western Reserve (UAA)
Finlandia (Ind)

Midwest (8) UMAC should get a Pool A bid in 2011.
Bethany Lutheran College (UMAC)
College of St. Scholastica (UMAC)
Crown College (UMAC)
Martin Luther College (UMAC)
University of Minnesota, Morris (UMAC)
Northland College (UMAC)
Northwestern College (UMAC)
Presentation College (UMAC)

New England (7 2)  The NECC may get a Pool A bid when Lesley adds baseball in 2011.
Becker College (NECC)
Brandeis University (UAA)
Daniel Webster College (NECC)
Elms College (NECC)
University of Maine at Presque Isle (UMC  [sic])
Newbury College (NECC)
Southern Vermont College (NECC)

New York (11 10)
Baruch College (CUNYAC)
The City College of New York (CUNYAC)
Ithaca College (Empire 8)
John Jay College of Criminal Justice  (CUNYAC)
Lehman College (CUNYAC)
Mitchell College (NECC)
Rochester Institute of Technology  (Empire 8)  (Goes to the LL in 2012.)
St. John Fisher College (Empire 8)
College of Staten Island (CUNYAC)
Stevens Institute of Technology (Empire 8)
Utica College (Empire 8)

South  (6)
Emory University (UAA)
Huntingdon College  (GSAC)
La Grange College  (GSAC)
Maryville College (Tennessee)  (GSAC)
Piedmont College  (GSAC)
Rust College  (Ind)
(I wonder if the GSAC may be in discussions for mergers with the USA South.)

West (3 2)
Chapman University (Ind)  Has petitioned to join the SCIAC
University of Dallas (Ind)  Will join the SCAC in 2011-12
Menlo College (Ind)

CrashDavisD3

THANKS as Always....How many Pool B bids do you project for 2011 playoff bids ?  ???

Pool B continues to shrink. I wonder if Pool B and Pool C will merge sometime in the future with
the new just 2 pools (Pool A and new Pool X(combined B/C). To me it would be fairer since there
have been instances in past years where weaker pool B teams getting bids over stronger Pool C teams. based
upon the winning percentages, SOS, OWP and OOWP

This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

Ralph Turner

Quote from: CrashDavisD3 on October 27, 2010, 11:42:23 PM
THANKS as Always....How many Pool B bids do you project for 2011 playoff bids ?  ???

Pool B continues to shrink. I wonder if Pool B and Pool C will merge sometime in the future with
the new just 2 pools (Pool A and new Pool X(combined B/C). To me it would be fairer since there
have been instances in past years where weaker pool B teams getting bids over stronger Pool C teams. based

I think that D-III will not do away with Pool B.  There may be some years when there are too few participants (? less than 7?) to designate a Pool B bid.  You also need a place for new conferences to gain access to the post-season, and Pool B is that staging area, e.g., the Landmark, the UMAC, the New England Collegiate Conference, etc.

I think that there will be 3 Pool B bids in 2011.

In 2012, the Commonwealth Coast Conference departees will be forming a new conference, so that means about 12-13 new Pool B members for a couple of years.  That also means one less Pool A bid.

I can imagine it being down to 1 bid by 2013.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Ralph Turner on October 28, 2010, 11:51:54 AM
Quote from: CrashDavisD3 on October 27, 2010, 11:42:23 PM
THANKS as Always....How many Pool B bids do you project for 2011 playoff bids ?  ???

I think that D-III will not do away with Pool B.  There may be some years when there are too few participants (? less than 7?) to designate a Pool B bid.  You also need a place for new conferences to gain access to the post-season, and Pool B is that staging area, e.g., the Landmark, the UMAC, the New England Collegiate Conference, etc.

I think that there will be 3 Pool B bids in 2011.

In 2012, the Commonwealth Coast Conference departees will be forming a new conference, so that means about 12-13 new Pool B members for a couple of years.  That also means one less Pool A bid.

I can imagine it being down to 1 bid by 2013.
The Commonwealth Coast Conference will remain a Pool A conference.

CrashDavisD3

By 2012 there many be ZERO Pool B teams in the West Region IF Chapman is accepted into the SCIAC. Chapman and UDallas are the only Pool B teams in the West for 2011.

Are there POOL B teams in DI or DII baseball ?

This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."

Ralph Turner

Quote from: CrashDavisD3 on December 23, 2010, 12:31:35 AM
By 2012 there many be ZERO Pool B teams in the West Region IF Chapman is accepted into the SCIAC. Chapman and UDallas are the only Pool B teams in the West for 2011.

There are at-large selections, but there are that many "Pool B type" schools.

D-II has 19 conference AQ's and then the other 29 are selected at-large.  The Handbook does not have the teams broken into conferences.

2010 D-2 Handbook

D-1 has 10 independent teams, including some good teams like Dallas Baptist University.  The Handbook does not designate Pool B specifically.  There are 30 conference AQ's and 34 at-large teams selected.  I think that DBU got a bid in 2010.  6-team conferences earn bids in D-1.

2010 D-1 Handbook

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: Ralph Turner on December 23, 2010, 12:55:29 AM

D-II has 19 conference AQ's and then the other 29 are selected at-large.  The Handbook does not have the teams broken into conferences.

2010 D-2 Handbook

D-1 has 10 independent teams, including some good teams like Dallas Baptist University.  The Handbook does not designate Pool B specifically.  There are 30 conference AQ's and 34 at-large teams selected.  I think that DBU got a bid in 2010.  6-team conferences earn bids in D-1.

2010 D-1 Handbook
Thanks again Ralph for all your information you provide. It is very informative. I like the ideal of AQ's and at large teams like DI and DII has for DIII but dont see this kind of change in DIII

Ralph Turner

Quote from: CrashDavisD3 on December 23, 2010, 01:20:31 AM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on December 23, 2010, 12:55:29 AM

D-II has 19 conference AQ's and then the other 29 are selected at-large.  The Handbook does not have the teams broken into conferences.

2010 D-2 Handbook

D-1 has 10 independent teams, including some good teams like Dallas Baptist University.  The Handbook does not designate Pool B specifically.  There are 30 conference AQ's and 34 at-large teams selected.  I think that DBU got a bid in 2010.  6-team conferences earn bids in D-1.

2010 D-1 Handbook
Thanks again Ralph for all your information you provide. It is very informative. I like the ideal of AQ's and at large teams like DI and DII has for DIII but dont see this kind of change in DIII
If you look at D-III Pool B teams as one large conference, with the access ratio to allocate a fair number of bids, then Pool B works.

Please remember.  The goal of the AQ is to provide Pool A and Pool B teams fair access.  Pool C is solely dependent on how much excess money is in D-III for teams to have a do-over.

We had only 3 Pool C bids in the early 2000's, but as many as 6-7 Pool B bids.  Teams from Pool B came into conferences to get the AQ.  The other benefit of the AQ is that schools added sports when they saw a chance to win an AQ in the conference.

UMACfan

I know the UMAC is Pool A now, but I can't help it. The preseason rankings for Pool B would be...

1. Chapman
2. St. John Fisher
3. College of Staten Island
4. LaGrange

BigPoppa

Quote from: UMACfan on January 05, 2011, 12:05:16 PM
I know the UMAC is Pool A now, but I can't help it. The preseason rankings for Pool B would be...

1. Chapman
2. St. John Fisher
4. LaGrange

I think moving to Pool C hurts the UMAC's chances of a second team getting in with a Pool C bid. Bethany, if they are #2 in the UMAC will have to face the likes of big-time programs for that bid instead of a mediocre grouping of teams in the Pool B chase.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

CrashDavisD3

1. Chapman
2. St. John Fisher
4. LaGrange

2011 could be the last year for Pool B IF they are voted into the SCIAC conference. If they move out of Pool B it may be more difficult for Chapman to get a Pool A/Pool C as a member of the SCIAC. Chapman has benefited being part of Pool B.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: CrashDavisD3 on January 05, 2011, 01:23:23 PM

1. Chapman
2. St. John Fisher
4. LaGrange

2011 could be the last year for Pool B IF they are voted into the SCIAC conference. If they move out of Pool B it may be more difficult for Chapman to get a Pool A/Pool C as a member of the SCIAC. Chapman has benefited being part of Pool B.
I am re-assessing the chances of Chapman getting into the SCIAC after this past college football season.

SMU and Baylor played in a Bowl game.
Uinversity of Texas didn't.
TCU won the Rose Bowl.

Elsewhere, the Texas Rangers beat the Yankees to win the AL Pennant.

Hmmmmm....    let me think about this.     ;)

JohnnyU

Pool B is off to a bad start. Records so far...

University of Dallas   IND   2   1   0.667
LaGrange   GSAC   1   1   0.500
Huntingdon   GSAC   3   2   0.600
Emory   UAA   1   1   0.500
Piedmont   GSAC   2   3   0.400
Chapman   IND   1   4   0.200
Maryville (Tenn.)   GSAC   0   2   0.000

All of these games are also in-region except for two of the Piedmont games.