BB: Pool B

Started by Bronko7, April 21, 2008, 09:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

Quote from: El Hombre on March 02, 2011, 04:52:26 PM
Are Pool B teams selected based upon their Region?  Or based upon their overall record versus all Pool B teams?

What happens if the best 2 or 3 Pool B teams happen to be from the same Region?  I read a recent post that listed a significant number of teams from the West Region that are nationally ranked (although early in the season).

Are the Pool B teams that receive a bid automatically sent to the Region in which they play?
Pool B teams are selected nationally based on Regional criteria.

In 2008, 2 of the 6 Pool B teams came from the West Region, Chapman and CSU-East Bay.

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 02, 2011, 05:15:20 PM
Quote from: El Hombre on March 02, 2011, 04:52:26 PM
Are Pool B teams selected based upon their Region?
No. See below
Or based upon their overall record versus all Pool B teams?
No See below
What happens if the best 2 or 3 Pool B teams happen to be from the same Region?  
This year the West has 2 Pool B teams Chapman and UDallas. Both could go to playoffs if their records
warrant it and they are chosen. There are no limits on how many teams for Pool B can come from a regions.
See Below
I read a recent post that listed a significant number of teams from the West Region that are nationally ranked (although early in the season).

Are the Pool B teams that receive a bid automatically sent to the Region in which they play?
They can be sent to any region.
Pool B teams are selected nationally based on Regional criteria.

In 2008, 2 of the 6 Pool B teams came from the West Region, Chapman and CSU-East Bay.
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

El Hombre

What teams were the Pool B participants in 2010?

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: El Hombre on March 12, 2011, 06:36:48 PM
What teams were the Pool B participants in 2010?

Pool B 2010
Chapman 
St John Fisher 
St Scholastica
LaGrange
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."

CrashDavisD3

Any updates on the POOL B Teams

I know both Chapman and UDallas will be fighting for spots. All 4 losses Chapman has are in region.

Anyone know yet HOW many Pool B bids will there be this year ?

Ralph Turner

Quote from: CrashDavisD3 on March 16, 2011, 05:05:42 PM
Any updates on the POOL B Teams

I know both Chapman and UDallas will be fighting for spots. All 4 losses Chapman has are in region.

Anyone know yet HOW many Pool B bids will there be this year ?
Not officially...

I checked for the Handbook last night, and the 2011 Handbook has not been released (for me to find).

JohnnyU

Don't have the Win%, OWP, OOWP quite yet but eyeballing the standings and schedules suggests that either Chapman or UDallas is in good shape (depending on their series at the end of the year). My bet would be on Chapman. Unless one team sweeps through the GSAC, they may be too even. Maybe Case or Emory from the UAA but they have pretty tough schedules down the stretch. Still too early to on St. John's Fisher and Ithaca but they might beat each other up in the middle of the season. I'll get back with RPIs either later today or tomorrow.

BigPoppa

WashU is 6-8 but has played a ridiculous schedule.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: BigPoppa on March 16, 2011, 09:40:20 PM
WashU is 6-8 but has played a ridiculous schedule.
That means that we should look for their appearance in the Central Region Rankings in late April.

IMHO, it is relatively easier to get into that Regional Ranking compared to the West or the South.

With plenty of "results" versus Regionally Ranked teams, one gets a very good evaluation of the team.

They are on my radar.  Thanks to Big Poppa for calling them to our attention.

JohnnyU

Going into the action today, Pool B teams with more than one win...

Team   Conf         Win%         Rwin%
Ithaca   E8   3   4   0.429   3   0   1.000
St. John Fisher   E8   5   4   0.556   3   0   1.000
Maryville (Tenn.)   GSAC   14   5   0.737   14   5   0.737
Huntingdon   GSAC   14   4   0.778   11   4   0.733
Piedmont   GSAC   12   7   0.632   8   4   0.667
University of Dallas   IND   14   5   0.737   8   4   0.667
Emory   UAA   13   7   0.650   13   7   0.650
Case Western Reserve   UAA   10   5   0.667   7   4   0.636
Chapman   IND   14   4   0.778   7   4   0.636
LaGrange   GSAC   11   6   0.647   10   6   0.625
Baruch   CUNYAC   3   7   0.300   3   2   0.600
Rust   IND   2   4   0.333   2   2   0.500
Washington U.   UAA   6   8   0.429   6   7   0.462
Brandeis   UAA   7   7   0.500   3   4   0.429

I have strength of schedules too but that's meaningless right now. Too many teams have played too few games to make sense of it. But my guess Chapman, WashU, and Case Western will be on top of those come may.

Ralph Turner

UDallas had a hard week.  They split series with LeTourneau and Southwestern.

I do not think that they can afford to lose those games.

I had counted on their sweeping both series.

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 20, 2011, 07:33:30 PM
UDallas had a hard week.  They split series with LeTourneau and Southwestern.

I do not think that they can afford to lose those games.

I had counted on their sweeping both series.

Chapman with  a loss to La Verne this weekend now has 5 in region losses. Chapman has 3 games with UDallas in late April.

BigPoppa

This could be one of the weakest Pool Bs in a long time. The UMAC moved to Pool A this year so St. Scholastica is now out of Pool B. I am assuming there will be three bids in Pool B so the competition is going to be very tight this year and I really like WashU to get one of them right now.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

JohnnyU

Quote from: BigPoppa on March 20, 2011, 10:17:06 PM
This could be one of the weakest Pool Bs in a long time. The UMAC moved to Pool A this year so St. Scholastica is now out of Pool B. I am assuming there will be three bids in Pool B so the competition is going to be very tight this year and I really like WashU to get one of them right now.

At 10-9 in region? Really?

You wouldn't have Chapman, Dallas, Huntingdon, St. John Fisher, Ithaca, and Emory ahead of them?

Ralph Turner

Quote from: JohnnyU on March 21, 2011, 05:43:41 PM
Quote from: BigPoppa on March 20, 2011, 10:17:06 PM

At 10-9 in region? Really?

You wouldn't have Chapman, Dallas, Huntingdon, St. John Fisher, Ithaca, and Emory ahead of them?
By the time that WashStL finishes the season, we will know whether they deserve a Pool B bid.

This is an admirable schedule for an independent.