BB: Pool B

Started by Bronko7, April 21, 2008, 09:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnnyU

Quote from: El Hombre on April 04, 2011, 08:08:01 PM
Quote from: JohnnyU on April 04, 2011, 03:22:17 PM
New Column.. Win% vs. Top 25... How did they do against the best teams? For Pool B teams, not so well. Only WashU and Chapman have wins. A lot of teams still in the hunt for only two bids.

School         Win%          Reg'n Win%      vs. Top25
Ithaca   6   6   0.500   5   0   1.000   0   0   0.000
St. John Fisher   12   3   0.800   10   1   0.909   0   0   0.000
Maryville (Tenn.)   20   7   0.741   18   6   0.750   0   2   0.000
Chapman   19   5   0.792   12   5   0.706   1   2   0.333
Staten Island   10   8   0.556   9   4   0.692   0   1   0.000
Emory   21   10   0.677   21   10   0.677   0   1   0.000
Rochester Tech   6   8   0.429   6   3   0.667   0   0   0.000
Washington U.   19   11   0.633   19   10   0.655   2   4   0.333
Piedmont   18   12   0.600   16   10   0.615   0   2   0.000
Case Western Reserve   19   10   0.655   14   9   0.609   0   3   0.000

Shouldn't the University of Dallas be included here?

I suppose so. They're probably better than Rochester Tech but their in-region record I have as only being 8-7. They could improve their standing a lot with 4 games against Trinity and Chapman.

Ralph Turner

UDallas took a big hit last weekend with their losses to UT-Dallas.

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: Ralph Turner on April 04, 2011, 06:53:16 PM
Quote from: CrashDavisD3 on April 04, 2011, 06:40:51 PM
Thanks Ralph for the great information. That is how Wabash(Indiana) was a in region game to Chapman this year.

BUT Why does the NCAA have 2 WAYS for in region games. Why not just make it simple. In region should be
1) Listed as a team in your region
2) or xxx Mileage from your campus

OR

Just use D3 W-L record and OWP and keep it simple. Not sure of WHY in region trumps overal D3 W-L records. Only really matters for the 17 POOL B/POOL C bids and not the 38 Pool A bids.

Wabash should not be an in-region game for Chapman.  That is a mistake.
Your right and I am wrong (CDD3)

Not trying to jump down your throat, but do you honestly think that snowbirds like Kean make a trip Spring Training trip to southern California to play mid-season Chapman, if the game will count against Kean?   ;)
Right again. I am wrong again

Kean gets to try itself against a great mid-season D3 squad so the coaching staff can see what the team needs to do to improve. 

It counts in secondary critieria.

Back in the old days, the 200-mile rule was added for those schools who were within 3 hours of one another, but in a different region.  If your school was on the geographic edge of the region, then it helped you find "in-region" opponents.  This was more applicable to teams in the east.  E.g., York PA (South Region) versus Alvernia (Mid-Atlantic Region) became an in-region game for those teams.

I like a xxx mile radius rule for in region
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

Ralph Turner

Crash, thanks for the discussion.  +1! These points have been hashed out on the message boards by the D-III faithful over the last 10-12 years, but the wisdom gleaned needs to be presented for new posters, (almost every season).

The other good function that the message boards provide is a check-and-balance on the information and the decision processes that we use in assessing the performances of teams.

"You can learn a lot by just watching", and reading the discussions of our posters.

OshDude

Unless there have been improperly added games entered since I last checked a team, my claim is that all in-region games should now be correct on teams' schedules. Please let me know if there are errors on a schedule.

This is neither here nor there, but I appreciate the sheer number of D-III baseball teams much more after that undertaking. I'm thankful that TES is a public tool.

BigPoppa

With Chapman winning 19 of it's last 20 games, I guess I don't see them as "on the fence" for a Pool B. I see them as the favorite right now. In addition, I think they are about as close to a lock for a Pool C as anyone right now, should they miss the Pool B bid.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: BigPoppa on April 06, 2011, 02:33:08 PM
With Chapman winning 19 of it's last 20 games, I guess I don't see them as "on the fence" for a Pool B. I see them as the favorite right now. In addition, I think they are about as close to a lock for a Pool C as anyone right now, should they miss the Pool B bid.
If they do the job on the field they will be just fine.
Pitching has been outstanding, Defense has improved dramatically and timely hitting is getting the job done.
Freshman starting at 1B, SS, OF have been doing a outstanding job and getting it done.

Pitching's Team ERA at  2.27 and OBA at .195 is outstanding...

1 today with Cal Lu, 4 with Linfield, 3 with UDallas, and 3 with Redlands.

NAIA games as you know have no impact on Pool B/Pool C bids.
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."

forheavendial4999

Can you be in both Pool B and Pool C. I thought Pool C was only for teams in automatic bid conferences that didn't win them?

Jack Parkman

I asked this on the football board but I saw that if Chapman is to join the SCIAC they will be elligible for a SCIAC championship for 3 years.  What does that do for them and the rest of the SCIAC?  Would the 2nd place team get the auto-bid and Chapman would once again fall into the Pool B/C talk?  Would the SCIAC go to a tournament to find out the auto-bid?  Would everyone still have to play Cal Tech?

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Jack Parkman on April 06, 2011, 03:46:39 PM
I asked this on the football board but I saw that if Chapman is to join the SCIAC they will be elligible for a SCIAC championship for 3 years.  What does that do for them and the rest of the SCIAC?  Would the 2nd place team get the auto-bid and Chapman would once again fall into the Pool B/C talk?  Would the SCIAC go to a tournament to find out the auto-bid?  Would everyone still have to play Cal Tech?
I am not sure what the final wording on a contract would be, but I will bet that the wording keeps Chapman in Pool B for the sake of the NCAA until they are full members of the SCIAC, and eligible for the Pool A bid.

The schedule challenges would be solved in the interim.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: forheavendial4999 on April 06, 2011, 03:43:33 PM

Can you be in both Pool B and Pool C. I thought Pool C was only for teams in automatic bid conferences that didn't win them?
If you do not get a Pool B bid (kinda like earning one of the automatic qualifying bids given to the teams in that nationally dispersed super-conference called Pool B), then the Pool B leftovers fall to Pool C for consideration.

dahlby

If I am not mistaken, conferences have their own criteria for handling eligibilty factors for automatic bids. In this case, Chapman would remain Pool B until that eligibility factor was satisfied. But, in Chapman's case, this may not even come in to play, as they have not been
accepted yet.

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: dahlby on April 06, 2011, 04:17:06 PM
If I am not mistaken, conferences have their own criteria for handling eligibilty factors for automatic bids. In this case, Chapman would remain Pool B until that eligibility factor was satisfied. But, in Chapman's case, this may not even come in to play, as they have not been
accepted yet.
The SCIAC vote is not until May for Chapman's application to SCIAC. For baseball leaving Pool B for Chapman could make it more difficult to get a Pool A/C bid based upon the recent record vs SCIAC teams the past few years.

wustlfan37

So the teams that seem to be in contention for a Pool B bid are:

Case Western, Chapman, Dallas, Emory, Maryville (TN), St. John Fisher, Washington University in St. Louis

Did I miss any? 

Record-wise, St. John Fisher has lost the fewest games but seems to have a very weak schedule compared to the other teams.  Dallas has a good overall record but a mediocre regional record.  And Maryville has to get through GSAC league play relatively unscathed.

In the event that more than two Pool B's finish strong, what do we think the chances are that a Pool B team is given a Pool C bid?
Strikeouts are boring - besides that, they're fascist.  Throw some ground balls.  More democratic.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: wustlfan37 on April 06, 2011, 07:31:57 PM
So the teams that seem to be in contention for a Pool B bid are:

Case Western, Chapman, Dallas, Emory, Maryville (TN), St. John Fisher, Washington University in St. Louis

Did I miss any? 

Record-wise, St. John Fisher has lost the fewest games but seems to have a very weak schedule compared to the other teams.  Dallas has a good overall record but a mediocre regional record.  And Maryville has to get through GSAC league play relatively unscathed.

In the event that more than two Pool B's finish strong, what do we think the chances are that a Pool B team is given a Pool C bid?
I think that the regional rankings on April 28 will tell us who the Pool b candidates are.

Chapman looks to be regionally ranked at that time.  If another Pool B is found in the Regional Rankings, then I think that they will have a strong case.  I cannot think of who might be in the rankings after Chapman.

WashU might, Emory might.  The E8 might send someone.  I don't think that a Pool B team earns a Pool C bid.