BB: Pool B

Started by Bronko7, April 21, 2008, 09:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dahlby

Crash:

Looking back at Chapman's record against SCIAC teams you will note that most of those losses came early in the season. IF, and that is a big IF, Chapman does join the SCIAC, those games would be scheduled later in the season, when Chapman has matured and is usually a much stronger team. But, everything is still an if.

Jack Parkman

Quote from: dahlby on April 06, 2011, 11:36:48 PM
Crash:

Looking back at Chapman's record against SCIAC teams you will note that most of those losses came early in the season. IF, and that is a big IF, Chapman does join the SCIAC, those games would be scheduled later in the season, when Chapman has matured and is usually a much stronger team. But, everything is still an if.

Everything is still an IF (although I fully expect Chapman to join the SCIAC) and a loss is still a loss.  Remember, those games are early in the season for the SCIAC schools as well.

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: dahlby on April 06, 2011, 11:36:48 PM
Crash:

I know I watch all those games for the past 4 years.

Your are indeed correct they make the necessary adjustments. The worst year against the SCIAC was in 2009. They barely made into Pool B as one of the last teams. BUT they won the regionals and came 1 game/1 day away that year from playing on the last day for the national championship. SCIAC games are alway very competive for Chapman. They have to battle for every win with those teams who get up and play their best against Chapman. 

This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

forheavendial4999

You mean like the game earlier this week where they faced a pitcher that had hardly thrown all year and threw their #2 against him?

This is why I'm looking forward to their series late in the year...get to see them go an entire series like against like for pitching.

CrashDavisD3

Anyone have the current POOL B numbers. Only 2 spots this year so it will likely go down to the last weekend in this race.
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."

JohnnyU

I would say these are the Pool B contenders, listed by overall Win%. I included the teams that are receiving votes this time in the most right column.

Team   Conf         Win%         Rwin%         vs.Top45
Chapman   IND   22   5   0.815   14   5   0.737   1   2   0.333
St. John Fisher   E8   16   6   0.773   14   4   0.778   0   0   0.000
Maryville (Tenn.)   GSAC   22   9   0.710   20   8   0.714   2   2   0.500
Case Western Reserve   UAA   22   11   0.667   17   10   0.630   2   3   0.400
Emory   UAA   23   12   0.657   21   11   0.656   0   3   0.000
Piedmont   GSAC   21   12   0.636   19   10   0.655   2   4   0.333
Washington U.   UAA   21   13   0.618   21   12   0.636   3   6   0.333
Brandeis   UAA   17   11   0.607   14   8   0.636   0   3   0.000
Ithaca   E8   7   8   0.467   6   2   0.750   0   0   0.000

Ralph Turner

Pool B news.

It looks like Piedmont and probably Maryville and LaGrange will go to the USA South in 2012-13.

Having seen the numbers on the differences in the mechanics of D-III non-scholarship and the D-II partial scholarship model, I understand why Huntingdon might decide to move to D-II.  Besides, the Gulf South Conference would love to have another football playing member in the conference.

CrashDavisD3

Thanks JohnnyU for crunching the numbers for Pool B. It would be nice if this was automated. On My Wish list is for D3 Baseball to set up a webpage showing the pool B teams standings with the overall, and in region winning percentage. It really is like a big national conference competing for playoff spots similar to Pool A conferences.

Thanks to all you effort on this JohnnyU.

Pat Coleman

I can get started on that -- can't get regional winning percentage in there, however, at least not initially.

Since I'm not the baseball guru, can someone confirm for me: Empire 8, Great South, independents and non-Rochester UAA, right? Anyone else?
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Pat Coleman on April 12, 2011, 12:41:43 PM
I can get started on that -- can't get regional winning percentage in there, however, at least not initially.

Since I'm not the baseball guru, can someone confirm for me: Empire 8, Great South, independents and non-Rochester UAA, right? Anyone else?
Those are they.

Pat Coleman

Here is a really quick first brush at it:

http://www.d3baseball.com/seasons/2011/pool-b

I left out St. Joe's of Brooklyn (still provisional, right?) and Nebraska Wesleyan.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: Pat Coleman on April 12, 2011, 12:41:43 PM

OUTSTANDING FIRST CUT !

I would have love this 2 years ago. You guys truly do outstanding work !!

Of course if your are able to get In Region percentage(not sure if it is even possible) that would make it even better !

Thanks Pat, and JohnnyU for your efforts !!

I found 28 teams per NCAA documents. Which we all know are known for errors
http://bit.ly/gkv6yk

University of Chicago
Nebraska Wesleyan University
Washington University in St. Louis
Baptist Bible College 
Lancaster Bible College
Case Western Reserve University
Finlandia University
Brandeis University
University of Maine at Presque Isle
Baruch College
The City College of New York
Ithaca College
John Jay College of Criminal Justice
Lehman College
Rochester Institute of Technology
St. John Fisher College
College of Staten Island
Stevens Institute of Technology
Utica College
Emory University 
Huntingdon College
La Grange College
Maryville College 
Piedmont College
Rust College
Chapman University
University of Dallas
North Central University

Pat Coleman

In-region record isn't an option in the out-of-the-box standings setup from Presto but I will request it.

OshDude

Quote from: Pat Coleman on April 12, 2011, 01:28:36 PM
In-region record isn't an option in the out-of-the-box standings setup from Presto but I will request it.
In-region records require one or two more clicks. The in-region games should be correct on the team pages.

Crash is right. You need to add Baptist Bible and the five eligible CUNYAC teams.

Pat Coleman

Thanks. I didn't read back to see his message after he modified it.