MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by sac, February 19, 2005, 11:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pointlem

Interesting, formerd3db. Of course, what you've given is the sticker price.  What's more relevant is the "net tuition" after discounts and scholarships. I believe that information is available, though I'm unsure where.

WUPHF

Yeah, according to the Kalamazoo website, a high school GPA of 3.0 gets you $21,000 merit scholarship.  That certainly goes up with the GPA.  And, does not reflect need-based institutional money.

hopefan

Quote from: WUPHF on September 09, 2019, 09:40:09 AM
Yeah, according to the Kalamazoo website, a high school GPA of 3.0 gets you $21,000 merit scholarship.  That certainly goes up with the GPA.  And, does not reflect need-based institutional money.

Darn, a "B" student gets that much... but then, there is still a pretty heavy penny to get to the $60k necessary.... I think back to the 2 final D3 schools my son considered as a very good student.. One gave him a significant amount of merit money, the other nothing.. recruited by both for football and basketball, it completely shut out the one school....It taught me that different schools offer quite different financial packages...
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

WUPHF

It is all rather ridiculous, but even today, the notion that where there is high tuition, there must be high quality, so colleges are hesitant to do a correction.

KnightSlappy

That's interesting because Kalamazoo is by far the most difficult MIAA school to get into. The average accepted applicant has something like a 3.9 GPA.

MaroonKnighty

Quote from: KnightSlappy on September 09, 2019, 12:01:26 PM

That's interesting because Kalamazoo is by far the most difficult MIAA school to get into. The average accepted applicant has something like a 3.9 GPA.

I just barely missed getting in there.

WUPHF

Quote from: KnightSlappy on September 09, 2019, 12:01:26 PM

That is very impressive.

I looked and they do early decision and everything.

I guess they have a scholarship for a 3.0 candidate just in case.  The common practice is to have a matrix that includes one row for the GPA and one for the ACT along with corresponding scholarship amount.

KzooHornet

Could you post a link to where you found that exact information?  I am interested to see how things may have changed since my time there and I am having some trouble finding that particular piece of information. 

I should probably have my 9-year old look for it.  He is way better with a computer than I am.

WUPHF

Yes, Kalamazoo, like a lot of schools, has a net-cost calculator which estimates the merit scholarship based on whatever GPA you list.

sflzman

I know the question comes up every now and then around the boards with the argument of d3 starter vs d2/d1 walk on.

With sticker prices like this in the MIAA it would make turning down that walk on spot at SVSU, Lake State, etc. a pretty difficult decision for a lot of kids I would assume. Especially when you throw in the two new non-Michigan GLIAC additions Purdue Northwest (which offers Michigan residents a variation of in-state tuition) and UW Parkside (which also is nowhere near the bottom of the MIAA when it comes to full costs) I really think that the MIAA schools will start to lose out more and more often to those schools.

And not even just for them to take walk on spots, for them to just decide to pass on collegiate athletics at all. The tuition rates across the MIAA are just crazy.
Be not afraid of greatness - Shakespeare

hopefan

Quote from: sflzman on September 10, 2019, 02:44:11 AM
I know the question comes up every now and then around the boards with the argument of d3 starter vs d2/d1 walk on.

With sticker prices like this in the MIAA it would make turning down that walk on spot at SVSU, Lake State, etc. a pretty difficult decision for a lot of kids I would assume. Especially when you throw in the two new non-Michigan GLIAC additions Purdue Northwest (which offers Michigan residents a variation of in-state tuition) and UW Parkside (which also is nowhere near the bottom of the MIAA when it comes to full costs) I really think that the MIAA schools will start to lose out more and more often to those schools.

And not even just for them to take walk on spots, for them to just decide to pass on collegiate athletics at all. The tuition rates across the MIAA are just crazy.

I'm way out of tune with college costs, but how does the MIAA compare to the CCIW, or other Great Lakes conferences such as the OAC, NCAC, or HCAC?

Flying Dutch Fan

Quote from: hopefan on September 10, 2019, 08:01:49 AM

I'm way out of tune with college costs, but how does the MIAA compare to the CCIW, or other Great Lakes conferences such as the OAC, NCAC, or HCAC?

You're the retiree HF, sounds like a good thing for you to research for us all :)
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

WUPHF

In terms of sticker price, the MIAA is comparable to the CCIW and significantly more expensive than the SLIAC.  But, in terms of what the average basketball player is paying, I would better that this can vary by $5,000-10,000 or more as you compare institution to institution.

hopefan

Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on September 10, 2019, 09:13:24 AM

You're the retiree HF, sounds like a good thing for you to research for us all :)

Darn FDF, that would cut into my nap time!!!! ;D ;D ;D.... hey, hoping you and CM  are coming down to Orlando for December Tourney!!!!

Flying Dutch Fan

Quote from: hopefan on September 10, 2019, 10:06:06 AM
Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on September 10, 2019, 09:13:24 AM

Darn FDF, that would cut into my nap time!!!! ;D ;D ;D.... hey, hoping you and CM  are coming down to Orlando for December Tourney!!!!

Haha!!  Wish we were coming down, but not going to happen for us this time.  Too busy being first-time grandparents to make the trip
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight