FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

57Johnnie

Quote from: OzJohnnie on February 12, 2013, 04:11:53 PM
Whoa. This Essendon drugs thing might be a complete media beat up. Turns out that there may be no evidence at all that illegal drugs were used. In fact the evidence may be the exact opposite. Turns out the report was completed by the Crime Commission (like an organised crime unit in the DOJ) about five months ago and they declined to prosecute anything. Turns out the press conference held by the Prime Minister (president) calling on all the cheats to come clean may have been a photo op. and now all the people who have been named in the press are suing for defamation like mad.

So I'm torn. I'm stuck between believing the worst of the press or of Essendon. A very difficult choice. I feel like I'm leaving so much opportunity on the table.
OZ - I suggest that you just take a deep breath and dip into your esky ...... maybe a couple of times  8-)
The older the violin - the sweeter the music!

DuffMan

A tradition unrivaled...
MIAC Champions: 1932, 1935, 1936, 1938, 1953, 1962, 1963, 1965, 1971, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1979, 1982, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022
National Champions: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003

ron doney

Quote from: miacmaniac on February 12, 2013, 02:09:07 PM
Belated comments on the UST/SJU baskebtall game (which was this past Sat for those not aware)...first off, the crowd was impressive. I'd guess the student section for SJU was packed with 1500 or so loud and rowdy students (well loud till about 3 minutes into the game). Nearly every one was wearing a red t-shirt until the final starter (Neumann) was introduced. Neumann roared facing the student section, ripped off his red warm-up top and simultaneously the entire student section ripped off their red tees revealing white SJU tees and waved the red shirts like Homer Hankies until the Tommie players took control of the game and muted the crowd with an awesome display of basketball. All in all, it was a perfect environment for a game.

Kudos to SJU on the remodeling job done to Sexton--- it looks and feels like a basketball arena again. Nice job on the seating, lighting and increasing the space in the walkway behind the benches and scoring table. The banners saluting the 5 Johnnies who have been named MIAC Player of the Year make a very nice touch.

Coupled with their newly minted baseball stadium/soccer complex, SJU appears to be stepping it up big time in the facilities "war" that AD Stock declared after UST opened Anderson Athletic. 

Funny thing...when Anderson opened, SJU alum/backers were ripping UST for its "opulence"...now, somewhat hypocritically, they are erecting even more plush venues and accommodations! I can't wait to take in a baseball game up there this year though...the stadium looks magnificent!!!

It can be debated to what degree....but no doubt a bit of the pot calling the kettle black.  For instance UST spent more money on their lockers than SJ1, but at the same time SJ1 spent more money on their press box.
The last shall be first and the shall be.......

faunch

I'm posting this here because I doubt that many of you check out the D3 hockey page and the MIAC hockey page hasn't had a post since November.

Farmington goalie puts one in his own net and then flips off the bench.
http://deadspin.com/5983913/?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

"I'm a uniter...not a divider."

Jonny Utah

Quote from: faunch on February 13, 2013, 01:10:37 PM
I'm posting this here because I doubt that many of you check out the D3 hockey page and the MIAC hockey page hasn't had a post since November.

http://deadspin.com/5983913/?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

It's refreshing to see that it isn't just Boston hockey parents who are f'ed in the head, and pass on their entitled selfish personalities to their children.

OzJohnnie

Quote from: faunch on February 13, 2013, 01:10:37 PM

Well that's just about one of the crappiest things I have ever read about. The selfishness of that kid is depressing. About the only redeeming thought associated with that story is there will be perverse satisfaction when he does the same damn thing as a Tommie goalie.
[  

sfury

Quote from: Robert Zimmerman on February 10, 2013, 02:10:20 PM
Quote from: sjusection105 on February 10, 2013, 12:14:03 PM
Quote from: OzJohnnie on February 10, 2013, 05:06:04 AM
Fury;

You live in the Big Apple, right?  Is it bad or are they just a bunch of sissies?  I was at SJU for the Halloween blizzard of '91 (it was '91 wasn't it?) when it dropped three feet over night. Dominos still delivered, but classes were cancelled for a day until a path could be plowed across the tundra.
I believe Fury mentioned last week he was going to South Africa to visit his wife's family.I don't think he is in NYC for the current snow event. :D

Fury is currently in S. Africa and usually his internet is pretty spotty at best.  Just had a fun drive from Brainerd to Sartell coming back from some travel basketball.  Lots of cars in the ditches and poor visibility.

Back from South Africa. Looks like NYC didn't get the brunt of this storm. The storms we've had since I've lived here haven't affected me much at all simply because if you don't drive, it eliminates about 90 percent of the headaches and stress of a storm. It's remarkable how little I care about a storm when I don't have to think about driving 2 hours in it and navigating the highways. We also have never had to worry about losing power so that takes care of pretty much all the other worries. I'm not going to say Minnesotans are tougher or anything with winter storms because whenever I am back home in MN or just talking to my parents and a storm is coming, there's plenty of whining. The cold is where the whining comes in. New York can get a ton of snow but it doesn't get cold like it does back home, so that's when I'm a bit like, come on, toughen up, this is nothing.

It is always interesting seeing different reactions to different parts of the country when different events happen. When the earthquake hit NYC two years ago, you had Californians snickering about New Yorkers not being tough enough to take a quake. Same thing with the hurricane and Floridians saying "You guys ain't seen nothing!" Each region takes weird pride in weather events, even though when they're actually happening in their own states, they complain as much as anyone. Southerners love the heat. Minnesotans like making fun of others when it comes to storms, especially if it's in warm weather spots where they never get it. And of course New Yorkers like to brag about their ability to deal with anything and everything.

SUMMIT!!!!!

After the game, the king and pawn go into the same box.

Italian proverb

OzJohnnie

Quote from: miacmaniac on February 14, 2013, 01:12:18 PM
Quote from: DuffMan on February 13, 2013, 09:28:53 AM

awesome cartoon....and here is an even more awesome column on the same subject:
http://espn.go.com/blog/olympics/post/_/id/3623/five-olympic-sports-that-should-get-the-boot-before-wrestling

I would agree on the modern pentathlon for sure.  Surprisingly, I don't agree on equestrian. The combination of three girls and the state fair down here taught me different. It turns out that equestrian is not the exclusive playground of the super rich (not that that fact is singularly disqualifying, IMO). It's more like girl's rodeo, at least in this part of the world. At the state fair I found the young country boys were rustling' cattle at the fair and the young country girls were dressed like princesses and doing precision riding.  My own girls wanting to sit and watch other girls ride in circles caused an epiphany.

The actual thing about equestrian (and badmitten as well) is that they are Empire games.  There's an every four years competition called the Commonwealth Games in which all the members of the British Commonwealth participate. About 50 countries I would think and it's full of games only popular in the Anglo world - netball, cricket, squash - plus all the traditional Olympic games. It's interesting because those games have diversified their offer less on the winds of pop culture (BMX, etc) and more to support Commonwealth unity. Games are popular in the colonies?  In they go.  Equestrian, particularly in Aust and NZ, is one of those popular games. Go figure.
[  

Pat Coleman

Since the link contains a swear word, you'd need to copy the link into your browser and replace the asterisks with the s-word.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

faunch

"I'm a uniter...not a divider."

OzJohnnie

Post to move us back up the boards. Disgraceful.
[