East Region Playoff Discussion

Started by pg04, November 10, 2006, 11:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fisheralum91

Boob- Im just as proud of you of Fisher that year....But are we going to talk Frostburg v Fisher  ;D

boobyhasgameyo

I perpetually live in the past so I will talk about the Fisher vs Frostburg game in 2020.  Give or take a year.

fisheralum91

2020 it is....Lets hope there is a lot to talk about! :D

HScoach

Quote from: wesleydad on November 16, 2016, 12:10:39 PM
Well the East has a chance to make a statement this week and next if the match up happens.  Hobart gets a shot at Mount this week, and even if they lose but make the game respectable that will show better than most of the OAC did.  Next week either Wesley ( I think they win this game) or Stevenson will likely play John Carroll, the team that beat Mount.  Again, a win would be great but a strong showing in a tough loss will prove that the top of the East is competitive with the top of the OAC.  Time for the East teams to put up or we will just have to shut up about the East being the weak link in D3.

If this young Mount team, the one with the first conference loss since 2005 wins the East Region, the converse of this is even more true.  There's no shame in the great Mount teams consistently beating the East teams as Mount has done that with relative ease for 99% of D3 outside of UWW and MHB.  But if a flawed Mount team can do the same, that's much more damning than losing to the like of Kmic, Garcon, Shorts, etc.
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

wesleydad

Quote from: HScoach on November 18, 2016, 01:30:12 PM
Quote from: wesleydad on November 16, 2016, 12:10:39 PM
Well the East has a chance to make a statement this week and next if the match up happens.  Hobart gets a shot at Mount this week, and even if they lose but make the game respectable that will show better than most of the OAC did.  Next week either Wesley ( I think they win this game) or Stevenson will likely play John Carroll, the team that beat Mount.  Again, a win would be great but a strong showing in a tough loss will prove that the top of the East is competitive with the top of the OAC.  Time for the East teams to put up or we will just have to shut up about the East being the weak link in D3.

If this young Mount team, the one with the first conference loss since 2005 wins the East Region, the converse of this is even more true.  There's no shame in the great Mount teams consistently beating the East teams as Mount has done that with relative ease for 99% of D3 outside of UWW and MHB.  But if a flawed Mount team can do the same, that's much more damning than losing to the like of Kmic, Garcon, Shorts, etc.

Coach, I agree.  Sort of wish Wesley was in the east bracket also.  But getting a shot at John Carroll will be good enough if they get it done.

boobyhasgameyo

Yeah, not buying it.  Mount Union dominated this year.  So they lost a close game to JCU.  Those two teams have played at least a couple of tight games in recent years, this one finally swung in John Carroll's favor.  I expect Mount Union to win the region and perform near to the level we are accustomed to in the process. 

I do agree with you on the point it isn't the Mount teams that had generational talents like Kmic, Garçon or Cecil Shorts.  But at the same time - you will be facing a team in Hobart that all of their fans say isn't their best representative unit either...that this is a down year for them as well.  That logic goes both ways. 

I'd argue it was a down year for a lot of teams in the East compared to some of the teams fielded of yesteryear.  Look at the E8 - Fisher had a poorly performing defense, Cortland imploded, Ithaca has been down for a while, Buff State was mediocre, Morrisville fell off the planet, etc.  Alfred is a very solid team that I think can do a lot of damage in the playoffs, but I also don't think it's a coincidence this was the first team in the E8 to have an undefeated regular season in a long time.  They weren't challenged to the level that past E8 teams have been.  No fault of their own.  That's on everyone else.

I just don't think it's some hugely telling statement if Mount Union wins the region convincingly.  They're still an elite team and they're not facing our historic best either and that's the bottom line. 

AUKaz00

Quote from: boobyhasgameyo on November 18, 2016, 02:30:38 PM
Yeah, not buying it.  Mount Union dominated this year.  So they lost a close game to JCU.  Those two teams have played at least a couple of tight games in recent years, this one finally swung in John Carroll's favor.  I expect Mount Union to win the region and perform near to the level we are accustomed to in the process. 

I do agree with you on the point it isn't the Mount teams that had generational talents like Kmic, Garçon or Cecil Shorts.  But at the same time - you will be facing a team in Hobart that all of their fans say isn't their best representative unit either...that this is a down year for them as well.  That logic goes both ways. 

I'd argue it was a down year for a lot of teams in the East compared to some of the teams fielded of yesteryear.  Look at the E8 - Fisher had a poorly performing defense, Cortland imploded, Ithaca has been down for a while, Buff State was mediocre, Morrisville fell off the planet, etc.  Alfred is a very solid team that I think can do a lot of damage in the playoffs, but I also don't think it's a coincidence this was the first team in the E8 to have an undefeated regular season in a long time.  They weren't challenged to the level that past E8 teams have been.  No fault of their own.  That's on everyone else.

I just don't think it's some hugely telling statement if Mount Union wins the region convincingly.  They're still an elite team and they're not facing our historic best either and that's the bottom line.

This is probably correct.  I still see UMU as a Tier 1 team and JCU as a Tier 2.  As the logic was for the tiers theory, a Tier 2 could beat a Tier 1, but everything had to break correctly.  I'd say a 4-0 turnover differential resulting in a 3 point win, just about captures that.  The Raiders have earned their 4 seed, but still remain a Tier 1 team so one of these Tier 2 East teams will need to execute and find a little fortune to repeat what the Blue Streaks were able to do.
Check out the official card game of the AU Pep Band - Str8 Eight!

ITH radio

Post of the Year.

Alfred is not an elite team nor are any of the teams in the East this year. Bad year for region overall, and the expansion of NE football will continue to erode the likelihood any program from PA-NY-NE will ever be dominant enough to hang with less expensive schools in OH, MI and WI.
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

wesleydad

HScoach is one of the most knowledgeable Mount fans and I have known him for 10+ years.  He is also one of the most astute Mount fans when it comes to how good they are and how well they will do against any team.  If he thinks that this team is below the usual Mount standard than they probably are.  Now where does that put them against the rest of D3.  Are they probably good, yes, but if they have dropped a level from their usual then they could be beatable.  Hobart, who is also not as good as some prior teams according to some, will get first crack at them and has a chance to win the game.  Hopkins, a tier 2 team who has never made the next step will likely be the next team to get a crack at them if Hobart doesn't beat them.  This may be the best Hopkins team they have had and they should have a chance to beat Mount.  If Hopkins doesn't beat Mount then Alfred will get a chance and this may be the best Alfred team in some time so they should have a chance to beat Mount.  In the end 2 pretty good East teams and a very strong tier 2 team will get a chance to send Mount home.  Based on HScoach I think one of these teams will beat Mount.  Will it be easy, no, but someone will.  Add to that Wesley/Stevenson will get a chance to beat John Carroll and if it is Wesley, I think they will beat them.  The East has a chance to send the OAC packing, here is hoping that they get it done.

Bartman

Quote from: wesleydad on November 19, 2016, 07:36:04 AM

HScoach is one of the most knowledgeable Mount fans and I have known him for 10+ years.  He is also one of the most astute Mount fans when it comes to how good they are and how well they will do against any team.  If he thinks that this team is below the usual Mount standard than they probably are.  Now where does that put them against the rest of D3.  Are they probably good, yes, but if they have dropped a level from their usual then they could be beatable.  Hobart, who is also not as good as some prior teams according to some, will get first crack at them and has a chance to win the game.  Hopkins, a tier 2 team who has never made the next step will likely be the next team to get a crack at them if Hobart doesn't beat them.  This may be the best Hopkins team they have had and they should have a chance to beat Mount.  If Hopkins doesn't beat Mount then Alfred will get a chance and this may be the best Alfred team in some time so they should have a chance to beat Mount.  In the end 2 pretty good East teams and a very strong tier 2 team will get a chance to send Mount home.  Based on HScoach I think one of these teams will beat Mount.  Will it be easy, no, but someone will.  Add to that Wesley/Stevenson will get a chance to beat John Carroll and if it is Wesley, I think they will beat them.  The East has a chance to send the OAC packing, here is hoping that they get it done.
All good analysis.....now time to play...carpe diem ....
Good luck to the East this year
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

dlippiel

Dlip is really hoping for a WNE win today. However for some reason, maybe a feeling, he thinks Husson may take it. This is a great playoff game for the NE area as a whole and represents the growth of the level of play within the region over the last decade. Best of luck to both teams. Hoping for competitive injury free playoff football today!

res ipsa loquitur

Looks like the weather may hold.  Go get em today, Hobart!

And best of luck Alfred, hoping we may get to see you down the road.  Gotta date with Goliath first........
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

ITH radio

Figured I'd revive this thread. So with 4 weeks left to go we've got:

CCC:
WNE, Salve and Curry in the mix. Schedule is back loaded, but we should have a good idea how this shakes out by 10/28 when WNE plays Salve and then on 11/4 when Curry plays WNE.

E8:
Brockport appears to be the clear front runner, and potential 1 seed if last season's Alfred team set a precedence. ALF does play BP on 11/4, but based on what I've seen with the Eagles, I don't know if the Saxons can catch them.

ECFC:
Basically Husson has clinched, beating SUNY and CSU H2H. Gallaudet game this wkd is probably final hurdle. It's about 350 miles from Bangor to Springfield, so I'm penciling in a Pride vs. Eagles Rd 1 game, since the NCAA will probably avoid doing a rematch with WNE (assuming they won the CCC).

LL:
Big game for Statesmen Saturday vs Union considering SLU and UofR appear to be fading. If Union wins, they're the favorite pending H2H vs. IC and RPI.

MAC:
Feels like DVC is the class of the league. Only real challenger I see is Widener, which they don't play until Wk 11.

MASCAC:
Down goes FSU, which makes things interesting given West Conn beat the Panthers. Similar to LL, could come down to tiebreakers pending if West Conn beats FSU on 11/4 and if anyone trips up PSU.

NEWMAC:
SC and MIT are tied in the standings and don't play until Wk 11. WPI is lurking at 2-1, but has a H2H loss to SC.

NJAC:
Wesley and Salisbury are 5-0, with Frostburg on outside looking in at 4-1 with the H2H OT loss to the Wolverines. Sea Gulls and Wolverines play on 11/4.
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

dlippiel

Quote from: ITH radio on October 17, 2017, 11:48:14 AM
Figured I'd revive this thread. So with 4 weeks left to go we've got:

CCC:
WNE, Salve and Curry in the mix. Schedule is back loaded, but we should have a good idea how this shakes out by 10/28 when WNE plays Salve and then on 11/4 when Curry plays WNE.

E8:
Brockport appears to be the clear front runner, and potential 1 seed if last season's Alfred team set a precedence. ALF does play BP on 11/4, but based on what I've seen with the Eagles, I don't know if the Saxons can catch them.

ECFC:
Basically Husson has clinched, beating SUNY and CSU H2H. Gallaudet game this wkd is probably final hurdle. It's about 350 miles from Bangor to Springfield, so I'm penciling in a Pride vs. Eagles Rd 1 game, since the NCAA will probably avoid doing a rematch with WNE (assuming they won the CCC).

LL:
Big game for Statesmen Saturday vs Union considering SLU and UofR appear to be fading. If Union wins, they're the favorite pending H2H vs. IC and RPI.

MAC:
Feels like DVC is the class of the league. Only real challenger I see is Widener, which they don't play until Wk 11.

MASCAC:
Down goes FSU, which makes things interesting given West Conn beat the Panthers. Similar to LL, could come down to tiebreakers pending if West Conn beats FSU on 11/4 and if anyone trips up PSU.

NEWMAC:
SC and MIT are tied in the standings and don't play until Wk 11. WPI is lurking at 2-1, but has a H2H loss to SC.

NJAC:
Wesley and Salisbury are 5-0, with Frostburg on outside looking in at 4-1 with the H2H OT loss to the Wolverines. Sea Gulls and Wolverines play on 11/4.

+k ITH for the breakdown! If indeed the Pride and Husson face off in Springfield for the first round dlip will be there!

Bombers798891

The LL is a total mess thanks to the RPI win over IC.

I think we're heading for a three way tie (IC, RPI, and Bart) but none of those teams have really distinguished themselves. Two got whipped by Brockport. RPI has a loss to a middle-of-the-pack Buffalo State.

Brockport will win the E8 handily, IMO. Alfred just doesn't have the offensive horses. But the Saxons loss takes some shine off of that win