2017-18 All American Predictions

Started by guest323, January 30, 2018, 03:56:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D3ball1845

Quote from: nescac1 on January 31, 2018, 04:10:50 PM
Echeverria is certainly putting up all-American numbers: 22-4-5 plus 2 spg, on 42/43/80 shooting.  His true shooting percentage is very high when you consider how many 3's he attempts (well more than half his attempts).  Keith Brown is having a tremendous year but his team was blown out twice by Nichols, and players tend to get rewarded for team success.  I would not say he is having a better individual season statistically, either -- 25-5-2 plus 1 spg, on 46/42/73 shooting.  I'd call that basically a wash.  Demers, likewise, is just a tad behind Echeverria statistically, on a worse team.

Coene's stats are off-the-charts good, for sure: 24-7-3.5, 2 spg, 56/49/73.  He suffers too from playing on a team that hasn't made, and is not likely to make, regional, let alone national, noise (they have also lost twice to Nichols), but based on stats alone he is worthy of all-regional consideration and as a junior will certainly be on the short list for all-American as a senior if he keeps improving.  Still, ultimately team success matters, especially for players who play in a low-profile conference that is almost certain to be a one-bid league, and Echeverria has led his team to the front of the league, despite some adversity (the second-best player on the team missing a good chunk of time, including both league losses).  Also, Nichols has tested itself vs. Wesleyan and Trinity ... Roger Williams, on the other hand, has played no one of consquence (outside of Nichols).

Well written response Nescac1. I actually took a look at his numbers from the field compared to last year after I wrote my initial post and was dumbfounded to see he didn't even shoot 40% from the field. He has actually improved in every single offensive category compared to last year, minus free throw shooting percentage. So my apologies for not doing my research before making that statement. I think I may have overlooked Echevarria's performance this year due to the improved play by the other three players I mentioned. It certainly makes sense that All-American selection depends on how well the team the player is on is doing.

I would definitely agree based on stats that Austin Coene deserves recognition for at least an All-Region selection this year. RWU had a rough streak of four losses in a row against the best teams in the CCC the other week, with the combined losses by an average of four points. They have now seemed to get back on track, granted against the lower half of the CCC, winners of three straight. We will see how they fair against Wentworth in Boston on Saturday as they look to climb back into the Top 3 of the CCC. They will likely be without senior playmaker Jaylen Jennings who sprained his ankle in their win against UNE this past week. 

nescac1

Thanks, D3ball1845.  I must admit I'd never before heard about Coene, let alone see him play.  Definitely someone to watch for in the future, his stats are crazy good. 

D3ball1845

Quote from: nescac1 on February 01, 2018, 09:48:36 AM
Thanks, D3ball1845.  I must admit I'd never before heard about Coene, let alone see him play.  Definitely someone to watch for in the future, his stats are crazy good. 

The only teams who get real exposure from the CCC are Endicott and Nichols. That's why you have heard about Keith Brown and Marcos Echevarria. Coene has the same amount of 30+ point games as Keith Brown does this year, each having 5. Coene and Brown battled it out in a double overtime game the first time their teams clashed this season, in which Coene scored 38 points and Brown scored 53. In their most recent wins on Tuesday night, Coene scored 41 against Salve Regina and Brown scored 43 against Western New England. Nescac1, I'm not sure where you're from but Endicott and Roger Williams play each other again in Bristol, RI on 02/17/2018 at 3:00 PM. It will definitely be a fun game to watch in what should be an important matchup for both teams before the conference tournament that features two of the top 15 scorers in Division 3 basketball.

dunkin3117

Josh Ruggles of Loras are both having outstanding years for the Duhawks.  Ruggles, last I checked, was the ONLY D3 players at 50/40/90, he is one of the most efficient players I've seen in years.  Teammate Ryan DiCanio is also having a crazy year, averaging 17 pts, 7 rebounds, nearly 5 assists per game for the Duhawks.

hopefan

Quote from: dunkin3117 on February 02, 2018, 09:52:22 AM
Josh Ruggles of Loras are both having outstanding years for the Duhawks.  Ruggles, last I checked, was the ONLY D3 players at 50/40/90, he is one of the most efficient players I've seen in years.  Teammate Ryan DiCanio is also having a crazy year, averaging 17 pts, 7 rebounds, nearly 5 assists per game for the Duhawks.

OK, I don't understand some of the newer stat measurements... what does 50/40/90 mean?    Thanks
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on January 31, 2018, 05:02:50 PM
Here is the list of our All American predictions...before the season started. The requirement was that they couldn't be listed on the D3hoops.com preseason list.

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on November 15, 2017, 03:28:49 PM
Looks like we got 10 posters participating.

Player      Votes   
   Pace       8   
   Sanders       7   
   Nichols       6   
   Rose       5   
   Scadlock       5   
   Ekekeugbor       4   
   Kenny       4   
   McCarthy       4   
   Roach       4   
   Neal       3   
   Schimonitz       3   
   Sortillo       3   
   Traub       3   
   Carter       2   
   Cooper       2   
   Daly       2   
   Federici       2   
   Feehan       2   
   Hawkins       2   
   Long       2   
   Moore       2   
   Murdock       2   
   Simonds       2   
   Boll      1   
   Brown      1   
   Bruton      1   
   Colhoff      1   
   Davis      1   
   Fails      1   
   Hewitt      1   
   Highsmith      1   
   Jomard      1   
   Jones      1   
   Light      1   
   Meinholz      1   
   Orr      1   
   Rapoza      1   
   Scibelli      1   
   Smith      1   
   Stenglein      1   
   Thomasson      1   
   Tyler      1   
   Weiss      1   
   Wind      1   
   POTY      Votes   
   Howell*       3   
   Axelrod*       2   
   Bonacum*      1   
   Monroe*      1   
   Rupkus*      1   
   Sorenson*      1   
   Walters*      1   
   Rookie      Votes   
   Williams**       3   
   Perkins**       2   
   Guitierrez**      1   
   Jordan**      1   
   Preston**      1   
   Robinson**      1   
   Uzorh**      1   

That's not really very helpful, though, because it's just a list of surnames. Any posts in this room should include the player's full name and his school, because this is a multi-regional room and readers can't be expected to be able to identify each and every good player in the nation simply by surname alone.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

Quote from: hopefan on February 02, 2018, 10:50:37 AM

OK, I don't understand some of the newer stat measurements... what does 50/40/90 mean?    Thanks

Those are shooting splits. He's averaging at or above 50% FG, 40% trey, and 90% FT.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

hopefan

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 02, 2018, 10:56:57 AM
Quote from: hopefan on February 02, 2018, 10:50:37 AM

Great... thanks....
Those are shooting splits. He's averaging at or above 50% FG, 40% trey, and 90% FT.

Flying Dutch Fan

If that threshold qualifies you, then Jason Beckman of Hope is a definite candidate.  50.3/43.3/94.5 are his percentages and he is averaging 22.4pts, 2.6 reb, 2.4 ast per game. 
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 02, 2018, 10:53:06 AM
Quote from: Greek Tragedy on January 31, 2018, 05:02:50 PM
Here is the list of our All American predictions...before the season started. The requirement was that they couldn't be listed on the D3hoops.com preseason list.

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on November 15, 2017, 03:28:49 PM
Looks like we got 10 posters participating.

Player      Votes   
   Pace       8   
   Sanders       7   
   Nichols       6   
   Rose       5   
   Scadlock       5   
   Ekekeugbor       4   
   Kenny       4   
   McCarthy       4   
   Roach       4   
   Neal       3   
   Schimonitz       3   
   Sortillo       3   
   Traub       3   
   Carter       2   
   Cooper       2   
   Daly       2   
   Federici       2   
   Feehan       2   
   Hawkins       2   
   Long       2   
   Moore       2   
   Murdock       2   
   Simonds       2   
   Boll      1   
   Brown      1   
   Bruton      1   
   Colhoff      1   
   Davis      1   
   Fails      1   
   Hewitt      1   
   Highsmith      1   
   Jomard      1   
   Jones      1   
   Light      1   
   Meinholz      1   
   Orr      1   
   Rapoza      1   
   Scibelli      1   
   Smith      1   
   Stenglein      1   
   Thomasson      1   
   Tyler      1   
   Weiss      1   
   Wind      1   
   POTY      Votes   
   Howell*       3   
   Axelrod*       2   
   Bonacum*      1   
   Monroe*      1   
   Rupkus*      1   
   Sorenson*      1   
   Walters*      1   
   Rookie      Votes   
   Williams**       3   
   Perkins**       2   
   Guitierrez**      1   
   Jordan**      1   
   Preston**      1   
   Robinson**      1   
   Uzorh**      1   

That's not really very helpful, though, because it's just a list of surnames. Any posts in this room should include the player's full name and his school, because this is a multi-regional room and readers can't be expected to be able to identify each and every good player in the nation simply by surname alone.

Fair enough. I'll try to get something up this weekend...
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

dunkin3117

Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on February 02, 2018, 12:03:16 PM

If that threshold qualifies you, then Jason Beckman of Hope is a definite candidate.  50.3/43.3/94.5 are his percentages and he is averaging 22.4pts, 2.6 reb, 2.4 ast per game.

Ruggles is also averaging just under 5 boards and 4 assists/game while commiting less than 30 TO on the season

Smitty Oom

http://miacathletics.com/sports/mbkb/2017-18/players/collinolmscheidqjyq

Collin Olmsheid is also now in the 50/40/90 club. He is having a great senior season for the Auggies and a great article was just released about him on d3hoops.com.

WUPHF

If this was a 2019-2020 All American Predictions thread, I might add Jack Nolan.  He is shooting 53% from the field, 49% from three and 93% from the line. 

Titan Q

Quote from: WUH on February 02, 2018, 04:06:29 PM
If this was a 2019-2020 All American Predictions thread, I might add Jack Nolan.  He is shooting 53% from the field, 49% from three and 93% from the line.

I think he will be a 1st Team All-American as a sophomore.

hopefan

Quote from: Titan Q on February 02, 2018, 04:54:17 PM
Quote from: WUH on February 02, 2018, 04:06:29 PM

I think he will be a 1st Team All-American as a sophomore.

WOW... a bold prediction... but noteworthy coming from TQ!!!