FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OzJohnnie

Quote from: art76 on October 13, 2018, 07:48:12 PM
Congrats to the Johnnies! Was listening to the good neighbor while working around outside today.

So, last week Bethel played the Johnnies a bit closer in my estimation. I think Bethel should get into the top 25, but I know they won't because they are too far down into the weeds in the voters eyes. If both BU and the Tommies do not lose any more games until they meet on the last weekend, that will be a play in game for the play offs.

Could be an interesting last half of the season.

It's intereting you say that Bethel played the Johnnies tougher than the Tommies did, art, because I was thinking the same thing.  Other than the first five minutes and the start of the fourth the Johnnies were well in control. In fact I'm surprised the Toms stacked up 610 yards as it never seemed like their offence was controlling the game.  I guess seven turnovers can do that.

I agree, the Royals should be a strong top 25 consideration.  How they play Concordia next week will settle that question I think. But they could be looking at a big playoff game against the Toms in the last week of the year as it may turn out the winner of that game is post-season bound.
[  

OzJohnnie

So, a question for the Rev:

Given that UST never looked in the contest after the first five minutes against a team you felt was threatened with exclusion from the top 25 with a loss, do the Tommies even stay in the top 15 after this boys-against-men outing?
[  

faunch

Quote from: faunch on October 13, 2018, 12:27:37 AM
Johnnies will need the following and then some to win tomorrow:
1. Offensive line and running game needs to get better by 1pm...they don't need to gain 100 yards...50 would help.
2. Erdmann needs to have the game of his college career.
3. Johnnies need to throw vertical routes down the middle of the field and take advantage of U$T aggressive D...to do this the o-line has to give Erdmann a pocket.
4. Auger and Streit need to have a big afternoon.
5. Pass defense needs to be on point...it has been suspect a couple of times this season.
6. Johnnies need to get the breaks...turnovers and hope the Tom$ give up some yards on penalties.

I should probably go out and buy some Powerball tickets tonight:

1. SJU gained 69 on the ground...o-line still is not a good run blocking crew.
2. Erdmann was outstanding...actually I'm not sure there is a word in the English language that could accurately describe his performance.
3. Threw to the outside and picked apart man coverage...o-line gave Jackson enough time!
4. Substitute Gillach, Van Earp and Eckoff...Streit dropped the dagger in the 4th quarter.
5. 5 interceptions....credit the pass rush even though Perra threw for 339.
6. Scoop and score 99 yards!

#RollOverToms
#GoJohnnies

"I'm a uniter...not a divider."

sju#57

Great game today boys!!! John would be proud!  Good entertainment today watching all the drunk as F half naked Tom girls walking past...lol...
"Make sure the juice is worth the squeeze."

sjujohnnie

How will the ratings play out? How far will St John's move up? How far will St Thomas fall? We're in the driver's seat now as long as we take care of business & don't look past anyone!

OzJohnnie

[  

57Johnnie

Quote from: sjujohnnie on October 13, 2018, 09:41:25 PM
How will the ratings play out? How far will St John's move up? How far will St Thomas fall? We're in the driver's seat now as long as we take care of business & don't look past anyone!
Maybe one place to 7th but no higher. They could stay where they are. Look what those ahead of them did.
The older the violin - the sweeter the music!

sjujohnnie

Possibly, however the teams ranked higher than St John's did what they did against unranked teams.

sju#57

But nobody ahead of them played a ranked team...  just saying...but I know how sometimes it doesn't work that way...lol
"Make sure the juice is worth the squeeze."

sjujohnnie

I hope today's dramatic win is indicative of a special finish to the season! GO JOHNNIES!

faunch

I just watched the first SJU scoring drive....big key today were the multiple formations show by the Johnnies. Tommie$ were not ready for those today. Gotta give credit to rookie OC Heckendorff for the game plan...to Erdmann and the receiving corps for executing...some of those throws and catches were unbelievable!

"I'm a uniter...not a divider."

umhb2001

Anyone aware of a way to watch a rerun of the game? I wanted to watch but didn't want to shell out $15. I don't think I should have to pay when living in Texas. There should be like a 6 hour distance rule for charging to watch a game.
Watch out for the wreckingCRU defense!!

umhb2001

Quote from: retagent on October 13, 2018, 07:45:09 PM
Quote from: sfury on October 13, 2018, 05:36:44 PM
Erdmann's 470 yards is shocking because of quality of opponent and also impressive because it's a school record. But Gillach getting school record 256 yards -- at SJU, where great receives have dotted the roster for decades -- after never even having a 100-yard game in his first three years is....insane. And (Johnnie) magical.

I would prefer not to bump into Tommies in playoffs again, though.

Looking ahead, and assuming nothing weird happens, the Johnnies will probably have to face UST and/or UWW in the playoffs. Neither is a pushover. Uww looks strong this year.

St. Thomas came to UMHB last year. I hope SJU comes this year.
Watch out for the wreckingCRU defense!!

DuffMan

Rankings, schmankings.  I don't get caught up in them.

Fun fun fun afternoon in Collegeville.

A tradition unrivaled...
MIAC Champions: 1932, 1935, 1936, 1938, 1953, 1962, 1963, 1965, 1971, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1979, 1982, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022
National Champions: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003

jamtod

Had a great day tailgating and enjoyed at least parts of the game today. Some good chats with some Johnnies and Tommies alike.

Here's my list of takeaways from today:
1. St John's has a heck of a team. The defense put on some big pressure, Erdmann is super solid, Gillach had an incredible day. Hats off to your team as aside from a few big plays, they controlled the day. I would suggest that SJU deserves to be in the top 5, although I don't know that that's how the rankings will shake out, whatever those are worth. I think there are maybe 5 teams in the country that can win a championship and SJU is right there if they can repeat today's performance.
2. Josh Parks has a step or 2 on anyone else on the field. He's fun to watch and those long runs alone almost made me lose my voice. 22 for 256 on a day like today feels really weird, as we consistently played from behind and it didn't feel like we could establish and just sit on the run.
3. This is the downside of having so many big turnovers. Perra did not handle the pressure very well. I felt like he had really made some steps to be a top tier D3 QB, but our offense was not prepared for the strength of the SJU defense. Some big opportunities to learn from this.
4. #81 Grant Slavik is beginning to establish himself as a big TE receiving option.
5. Small thing, but not sure how I feel yet about Dowdle's punting.
6. Failing to come away with points on that 3-minute drive just before half really hurts. That plus the early 3rd quarter TD could have been game changers. Same with the 14 point swing on the fumble, scoop, and score. Painful to watch as a Tommie fan.
7. Hats off and good luck to the Johnnies the rest of the year. I hope you didn't use all your Johnnie Magic up today, maybe just enough that it could run out at a playoff rematch in Collegeville. We've got business to take care of and a lot of lessons to take away from today.