WBB: Little East

Started by Allen M. Karon, March 09, 2004, 03:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

7express

Plymouth beats RIC this afternoon, gets a second LEC conference win for the first time since the 2009/10 season.  The sad thing is, and I'm sure AllStar can attest to this more is that I don't really think Plymouth is that much better than they've been the previous 7 years, its the conference overall is sinking faster than the Titantic!  Outside of Eastern and maybe Dartmouth everyone else is on a range from middling to average to bad to in USM's case horrific.  I'd be interested to see how many more games Plymouth can win this year because I think they are winning at least 1 more, and quite likely 2, 3, or even 4 more.

AllStar

Quote from: 7express on January 22, 2017, 02:58:39 AM
Plymouth beats RIC this afternoon, gets a second LEC conference win for the first time since the 2009/10 season.  The sad thing is, and I'm sure AllStar can attest to this more is that I don't really think Plymouth is that much better than they've been the previous 7 years, its the conference overall is sinking faster than the Titantic!  Outside of Eastern and maybe Dartmouth everyone else is on a range from middling to average to bad to in USM's case horrific.  I'd be interested to see how many more games Plymouth can win this year because I think they are winning at least 1 more, and quite likely 2, 3, or even 4 more.

Agree with what you've said there.  There were very few, if any, noteworthy wins in the non-conference.  A very lousy non-conference season to say the least.

Plymouth has a chance to beat Southern Maine at least once.  The Huskies are having an awful season.

Keene with an unsurprising sad performance at home against UMass Dartmouth on Saturday...nothing new at this point.  I expect another dud against Eastern on Wednesday.

AllStar

A really pathetic loss for Keene against Eastern.  The race for first appears to be over already...and we aren't yet to February.

7express

Quote from: AllStar on January 25, 2017, 07:31:23 PM
A really pathetic loss for Keene against Eastern.  The race for first appears to be over already...and we aren't yet to February.

For Keene it probably is.  Luckily for Dartmouth, Eastern somehow lost to USM which gives them at least a pulse, especially since they get them at home in a couple weeks.  Keene, Boston & Western still play them again, but I believe all 3 have the second game in Willi after losing the first game at home, so we can probably stick a fork in those 3.

As for the bottom of the conference: Woof!  What a complete dumpster fire, and a total anchor!  Is it too late for the LEC to leave RIC, Plymouth & USM at home, and make the LEC tourney 5 teams this year??  1, 2 & 3 get a bye to the semifinals, #5 plays @ #4 for the last semifinal spot.  RIC, Plymouth or USM won't come within 15 points of Dartmouth or Eastern.

AllStar

I did this for the men, so I'll do it here too.  Just trying something new.

AllStar

Non-conference play is wrapping up, and the women's side of the Little East has hardly done anything impressive.  Last night, the league went 2-3, with Keene State clobbering Middlebury 59-37 and UMass-Dartmouth edging Regis 86-77 in overtime.  Both of those games were on the road.  A middling Colby team limited Southern Maine to just 46 points while winning by 7.  The Huskies are now just 3-17, but two of those wins are over conference foes (Eastern Connecticut and Plymouth), meaning they only have one win outside of the league, and that was against 1-16 Southern Vermont.  No. 23 Bowdoin beat up UMass-Boston 83-59 and Connecticut College ran away from Eastern Connecticut after halftime, winning 72-59.  The league-leading Warriors are 8-1 in league play, but an unimpressive 5-5 in the non-conference.  Not usually a good sign when the first place team is only .500 out of conference.  The conference was saved from Rhode Island College being pounded by Tufts last night, as that game was postponed.  With only three (four if the RIC game is made up) non-league games left, the Little East is just 40-43 in the non-conference schedule (ECSU 5-5, UMD 10-1, KSC 7-4, WCSU 7-3, UMB 4-7, PSU 3-6, RIC 3-7, USM 1-10).  Maybe I'm wrong, but that has to be one of the worst records I can remember.  The only remaining non-conference games are New Rochelle at Western Connecticut, Eastern Connecticut at Western New England and Plymouth State at Johnson State.

7express

Eastern & Dartmouth have clearly separated themselves from the rest of the pack as the conference favorites.  Whoever wins next Saturday's game @ Dartmouth likely hosts the tournament.  Keene is a step behind......only because they are 1-2 against Dartmouth & Eastern, and lost the home to Eastern and still have to play them on the road.  Boston & Western (5-5) are about 10 steps behind Keene, while the trailers (Plymouth, RIC, & USM) are so far behind they are halfway around the world in the Middle East.  This looks like an extremely chalky LEC tournament with probably only the 4/5 Western/Boston being a remotely close game until the finals.

AllStar

Wednesday, 2/8:
ECSU 57, WCSU 52
UMD 69, RIC 47
KSC 73, PSU 54
USM 46, UMB 42  :o

Big game on Saturday, as UMass-Dartmouth hosts Eastern Connecticut.  The Warriors won the first matchup in Connecticut 74-68.  ECSU is currently 10-1, while UMass-Dartmouth is 9-2.  If ECSU wins, it's pretty much over.  If UMD wins, it becomes a tie at the top and much more muddled, as the two teams would have split.  Eastern still has a home game against Keene too, so if UMD beat them, that game would also become very important.  We'll see.  Western and Boston are battling for the 4 and 5 spots right now, while Southern Maine, Plymouth, and RIC round out the bottom.  The Huskies surprisingly beat UMass-Boston, so they move into 6th at 3-8.  Plymouth and Rhode Island College are tied at 2-9 for 7th and 8th.

7express

Eastern, Keene & Dartmouth all beat their cupcake bottom of the conference opponents, while USM shows a pulse with a road win at Boston.  Doesn't change anything in the conference standings: Dartmouth & Eastern have already clinched home games in the quarterfinals, and are clearly the top 2 teams in the league.  Keene I believe has also clinched a home game.  Boston is still leading for the last home spot in the quarterfinal as they own the tiebreaker on Western even though they are only 5-6 in conference.  The bottom 3 teams we can just forget about it.  I don't see either Western or Boston beating any of the top 3 (though Keene has lost to Boston) while the bottom 3 certainly aren't beating any of the top 3.  I say we just leave the bottom 5 at home, give Eastern/Dartmouth whoever wins on Saturday to win the conference a bye to the final and than have Keene play that loser for the right to play the winner in the championship game.

7express

Quote from: AllStar on February 09, 2017, 12:18:25 AM
Wednesday, 2/8:
ECSU 57, WCSU 52
UMD 69, RIC 47
KSC 73, PSU 54
USM 46, UMB 42  :o

Big game on Saturday, as UMass-Dartmouth hosts Eastern Connecticut.  The Warriors won the first matchup in Connecticut 74-68.  ECSU is currently 10-1, while UMass-Dartmouth is 9-2.  If ECSU wins, it's pretty much over. If UMD wins, it becomes a tie at the top and much more muddled, as the two teams would have split.  Eastern still has a home game against Keene too, so if UMD beat them, that game would also become very important.  We'll see.  Western and Boston are battling for the 4 and 5 spots right now, while Southern Maine, Plymouth, and RIC round out the bottom.  The Huskies surprisingly beat UMass-Boston, so they move into 6th at 3-8.  Plymouth and Rhode Island College are tied at 2-9 for 7th and 8th.

If ECSU wins, I believe its officially over.  ECSU would own the tiebreaker over Dartmouth since they swept the season series, and since Eastern won the first game against Keene, they'd win a tiebreaker with the Owls too, and would also win a 3 team tiebreaker if Dartmouth, Keene & Eastern all finish tied.

7express

Eastern wins over Dartmouth, Keene squeaks out a win over Western, USM wins for the 2nd straight game beating RIC and Plymouth sweeps their first opponent since the 2009-10 season as they completed their second victory of the season over Boston.

Eastern has officially wrapped up the #1 seed.  They'll win tiebreakers over both Keene (Eastern would be 2-0 against Dartmouth while Keene finished 1-1), and Dartmouth (swept the season series) if either one of those schools finish tied, and they'll also win a 3 team tiebreaker between the 2 because the Warriors would have a superior winning percentage (75% for Eastern [3-1], 50% for Keene [2-2] and 25% for Dartmouth [1-3]).
Keene & Dartmouth will finish 2-3 in some order.  They are tied currently and currently Dartmouth owns the tiebreaker since they are 1-0 against Boston while Keene only finished 1-1 against the Beacons.  HOWEVER, if Keene beats Eastern Tuesday and they finished, Keene would win the tiebreaker.
The 4 seed is guaranteed no better than a 7-7 conference record, and currently Boston holds that spot due to a win over Keene.  Its not likely to happen but Plymouth can still finish 4th: All that needs to happen is for them to win out (home vs. USM & Western), Western to lose out (home vs. RIC, @ Plymouth) and Boston to lose out (@ Dartmouth, @ Eastern) and they'll win a tiebreaker between Western & Boston due to superior winning percentage (75% in common games, Western would be 50%, Boston would be 25%).  USM can also finish in 4th: If they beat Dartmouth & Plymouth, they need Boston to lose at least once (they'll win a tiebreaker with Boston if they finish tied with a win over Dartmouth), while Western has to lose twice, since Western swept the season-series Western owns the tiebreak. There still in lies the possibility of a 4 way tie for 4th at 5-9 (how pathetic would that be AllStar??), in which I believe the 4 seed would be Plymouth, the 5 seed would be Western, the 6 seed would be USM and the 7 seed would be Boston. 

amh63

ECSU...congrats to your ladies team.  Hope they follow thru with a conference title.  When they get into the NCAA, here is hoping they do not have to go through Amherst in LeFrak.
Amherst won again today by 40plus and finished the regular season undefeated.! No.1 seed for Nescac tourny.  Should meet Tufts in the finals...yes Should is a key since Bowdoin will provide a challenge...to Tufts...did earlier in the season.

AllStar

There's not much intrigue here, as the standings are pretty well set and it has not been a good year in the conference.  Amazingly, despite that, there were three teams from the conference in the latest regional rankings:  Eastern 5th, UMass-Dartmouth 6th and Keene State 8th.  Yet, on Wednesday, Keene throttled Eastern Connecticut 80-51.  The Owls have played reasonably well recently, and look like they'll finish 2nd.  UMass-Dartmouth had to come from 15-down in the 4th quarter to beat UMass-Boston tonight.  This is the second time the Corsairs needed a furious rally to win at home, with the other coming a few weeks ago when they barely escaped Plymouth. 

For the tournament, Eastern is 1st.  Keene will be the 2-seed as long as they don't lose at home to last-place RIC.  Dartmouth will be the 3-seed unless they win AND Keene loses on Saturday.  Western, unless they stumble at Plymouth, will finish 4th.  Boston is 5th right now, but can't finish tied with 6th-place USM because the Huskies have the tiebreaker.  Therefore, the Beacons need Southern Maine to lose one of their remaining two games.  Southern Maine is 6th at 4-8.  Plymouth is 7th at 3-9 right now, but they play Southern Maine on Thursday, so that could change depending on the result.  Rhode Island College is in last at 2-11, and it would be a big surprise if that wasn't where they finished.

ECSUalum

Quote from: amh63 on February 11, 2017, 05:38:47 PM
ECSU...congrats to your ladies team.  Hope they follow thru with a conference title.  When they get into the NCAA, here is hoping they do not have to go through Amherst in LeFrak.
Amherst won again today by 40plus and finished the regular season undefeated.! No.1 seed for Nescac tourny.  Should meet Tufts in the finals...yes Should is a key since Bowdoin will provide a challenge...to Tufts...did earlier in the season.

Thanks amh63,
After watching them last night, I am not sure if they will win the LEC tournament! A blow out by Keene at home :-[ !! I don't follow them as much as the men but when I see TO/game in the high teens, and, a .270 3pt % I think an average team at best from a national standpoint.  They have some good players, but they turn the ball over too too many times  ???.  If they face the Lady Jeffs, I am afraid it will be another embarrassment!!

I really followed and enjoyed watching the ECSU women back when they had Allison Coleman (00-04)! I have never seen a better player at the D-III level.  ECSU have never really regained the stature of this period!

AllStar

Will post this on the men's side as well, but am waiting until the conclusion of tonight's lone conference game.