FB: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

emma17

Quote from: hazzben on October 15, 2018, 03:07:29 PM
Hard to know how to express thanks to the Warhawk FB team and athletic department for their decency and good samaritan response to the Bethel Volleyball team this weekend. Obviously a tragedy that resulted in the deaths of two young people. But thinking of what happened recently with the hockey team in Canada a few years back, it's also good to thank God that the accident wasn't worse this weekend.

Also makes you realize how often we take for granted the safety of our teams and fans driving/flying back and forth from all these athletic events.

All that to say, tip of the cap to our DIII brethren in Wisconsin for their kindness on the scene of the trauma.

Well said Hazzben. It is tragic for the two UWW students and their families. My prayers are with them.
The story:
http://www.startribune.com/bethel-volleyball-team-bus-hit-head-on-in-wis-2-in-car-are-killed/497521891/

MUC57

hazzben

Excuse the ignorance of an outsider but what happened with the Bethel volleyball team? Sounds tragic. Thanks.
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

emma17

Quote from: 02 Warhawk on October 15, 2018, 02:59:06 PM
Quote from: Brad on October 15, 2018, 02:35:33 PM
I had a wonderful day of WIAC Football. I started the day out by going to the UW River Falls vs UW Stout game. After the game I made the two hour drive south and caught the UWL vs Point game. Review:

UWRF D looked better than I expected them to. The Herink kid from UWRF is a huge weapon for them on O. If you have not seen him play yet, he is fun to watch. Stout lost their big RB (#5) mid way through the 3rd Q which really hurt them. By the looks of it, he might be out awhile. He in my mind is a top 3 to 4 back in the league. I was very impressed with how Stouts young QB handled the offense and the pressure of UWRF. Stout also had 4 freshman WR that played big mins. The future is bright at UW- Stout. Overall great football game

I sure did not see a blow out coming in the UWL game. UWL won the field position game big time. They had a couple monster punt returns. I was impressed with UWL QB. 4 passing TDS and a rushing TD. I am not sure if Point will win another game. I understand that it was a freshman's first start but they could not get anything going on O at all.

Mid way through the year thoughts:
UWW- They will win the national title this year. Heard it here first.
UWO- Will win the rest, the O will hold them back a bit
UWP- Can't figure them out yet.
UWL- Can't figure them out yet. Played Whitewater well for 1 half then fell apart.
UWEC- Going to struggle to get a W. They do look much improved however.
UWRF- Up and down. Don't have a good handle on them.
UW- Stout- If the back is out, it doesn't look good. They do have play makers to get 2 more W's
Point- Year 0 for a new head coach. I really think he will get Point turned around, might take 3-5 years but you can still win at point.

Pat, I thought having two accounts on here is prohibited? Looks like bleedpurple found a loophole.

;D ;)

Nice work inspector 02. He stopped just short of posting WIWA.

The D sure is dominating now. UWW got passed in the Top 25 by a team that gave up 600+ yards. Maybe the pollsters feel UWW will also be Swiss Cheesehead against the Johnnies.

bleedpurple

Quote from: hazzben on October 15, 2018, 03:07:29 PM
Hard to know how to express thanks to the Warhawk FB team and athletic department for their decency and good samaritan response to the Bethel Volleyball team this weekend. Obviously a tragedy that resulted in the deaths of two young people. But thinking of what happened recently with the hockey team in Canada a few years back, it's also good to thank God that the accident wasn't worse this weekend.

Also makes you realize how often we take for granted the safety of our teams and fans driving/flying back and forth from all these athletic events.

All that to say, tip of the cap to our DIII brethren in Wisconsin for their kindness on the scene of the trauma.

Was traveling with the team on the bus that was vacated so the Bethel Volleyball team could be transported off the premises to the safety of a hotel in Janesville. The scene was very surreal as you can imagine. Information is limited and comes in pieces in an emergency scene like that. We found out early on that there was a head on collision involving a bus. Shortly thereafter, we heard the Bethel Volleyball team was on the bus. Lots of silence and I'm convinced lots of prayers. The only questions I heard were "What can we do?" and "How can we help?". A few minutes later we heard everyone on the bus was OK. Definitely lots of relief. We were not informed about the tragic deaths involved, but all the emergency vehicles on the scene certainly signified that it was a horrific accident. The guys grabbed all the bags and equipment from underneath the bus and got it on the other bus quickly so the Bethel athletes could access their bus as soon as possible. Both the players and coaches did a great job in making the bus available as quickly as possible. Also, great thanks to the Van Galder bus driver who made his night much longer by volunteering to help out the Bethel team.  I'm so thankful all of the Bethel athletes and coaches are OK and praying for the families of the young man and woman whose lives ended much too soon.

bleedpurple

I had a wonderful day of WIAC Football. I started the day out by going to the UW River Falls vs UW Stout game. After the game I made the two hour drive south and caught the UWL vs Point game. Review:

UWRF D looked better than I expected them to. The Herink kid from UWRF is a huge weapon for them on O. If you have not seen him play yet, he is fun to watch. Stout lost their big RB (#5) mid way through the 3rd Q which really hurt them. By the looks of it, he might be out awhile. He in my mind is a top 3 to 4 back in the league. I was very impressed with how Stouts young QB handled the offense and the pressure of UWRF. Stout also had 4 freshman WR that played big mins. The future is bright at UW- Stout. Overall great football game

I sure did not see a blow out coming in the UWL game. UWL won the field position game big time. They had a couple monster punt returns. I was impressed with UWL QB. 4 passing TDS and a rushing TD. I am not sure if Point will win another game. I understand that it was a freshman's first start but they could not get anything going on O at all.

UWL- Can't figure them out yet. Played Whitewater well for 1 half then fell apart.
UW- Stout- If the back is out, it doesn't look good. They do have play makers to get 2 more W's
Point- Year 0 for a new head coach. I really think he will get Point turned around, might take 3-5 years but you can still win at point.

"You're the man, Brad!"
"No, you are!"
"No, you are!"
"Wait, which name am I even signed in under right now?"

emma17

Brad

Quote from: bleedpurple on October 15, 2018, 07:43:24 PM

"You're the man, Brad!"
"No, you are!"
"No, you are!"
I am not even a Whitewater fan. The way they play defense will carry them in November-December. When you start 9 starters on defense and the offense is moving the ball like they are, they will be a tough out for anyone. This might be one of the best UWW teams in the last 10 years. Call me crazy but they will show it down the stretch

emma17

Quote from: Brad on October 16, 2018, 10:25:40 AM
Quote from: bleedpurple on October 15, 2018, 07:43:24 PM

"You're the man, Brad!"
"No, you are!"
"No, you are!"
I am not even a Whitewater fan. The way they play defense will carry them in November-December. When you start 9 starters on defense and the offense is moving the ball like they are, they will be a tough out for anyone. This might be one of the best UWW teams in the last 10 years. Call me crazy but they will show it down the stretch

Not a fan- yet.
You are crazy, crazy smart.

wally_wabash

"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

02 Warhawk

Quote from: Brad on October 16, 2018, 10:25:40 AM

Woah, I didn't think they were that good. If they want to win the Stagg Bowl they should at least have 10 starters on the defense.

;)

fredfalcon

Brad--interesting commentary on Stout vs Falcon game. I guess I don't see Herinkk as that significant a weapon but that is probably because I am too close to the scene. I think you are right however. The Stout running back did come back later in the game but was not effective. I thought he was seriously hurt at the time but I hope he is okay. I agree that Stout has a number of impressive freshman players. I am hoping the Falcons can surprise at Whitewater like they did two years ago when they lost in overtime.
WORLD'S OLDEST FALCON FAN.

MESSAGE TO RECRUITS:  IN DOUBT? ENROLL AT STOUT. DON'T CARE? GO TO EAU CLAIRE. AT A LOSS? TRY LACROSSE. FEELIN' OUTTA JOINT? YOUR PLACE IS POINT. DON'T LIKE THE REST? DO WHAT'S BEST!

GOT BALLS? PLAY FOR THE FALLS!

WW

I think DubDub gets derailed by Johnny or Tommy. This isn't the WIAC's year, IMO, on the national stage.

emma17

Quote from: WW on October 16, 2018, 12:37:26 PM
I think DubDub gets derailed by Johnny or Tommy. This isn't the WIAC's year, IMO, on the national stage.

I have not seen either the Johnny or Tommy play, so I admit my complete bias. That said, I'll take UWW's defense and somewhat vanilla offense vs any team that gives up the yardage and turnovers those two did.

I do agree in general the WIAC seems down this year. UWW is doing what it should be doing, giving up only 7 points in its first 3 WIAC games.

retagent

Quote from: emma17 on October 16, 2018, 01:00:05 PM

I have not seen either the Johnny or Tommy play, so I admit my complete bias. That said, I'll take UWW's defense and somewhat vanilla offense vs any team that gives up the yardage and turnovers those two did.

I do agree in general the WIAC seems down this year. UWW is doing what it should be doing, giving up only 7 points in its first 3 WIAC games.

Having seen both (all three) play, here's my take. In good weather the Johnnies will be formidable. In normal late November/early December weather, the less than potent Johnnie running game is likely to hurt them. The Tommies would present a tougher matchup in that scenario due to their excellent running game..

The offensive yardage in that game was not indicative of both team's defensive capabilities. It was just one of those odd games where; A) the Johnnies gave up a few BIG run plays. B)The Johnnies tailored an offense for the consttant blitz defense of the Tommies, and Erdman had a spectacular game, and Gillach torched the defense with his prowess. If they played again, it might be a 21 - 17 type game. Look at their overall performance, and not just one weird game.

02 Warhawk

Quote from: retagent on October 16, 2018, 02:00:00 PM
Quote from: emma17 on October 16, 2018, 01:00:05 PM

Having seen both (all three) play, here's my take. In good weather the Johnnies will be formidable. In normal late November/early December weather, the less than potent Johnnie running game is likely to hurt them. The Tommies would present a tougher matchup in that scenario due to their excellent running game..

The offensive yardage in that game was not indicative of both team's defensive capabilities. It was just one of those odd games where; A) the Johnnies gave up a few BIG run plays. B)The Johnnies tailored an offense for the consttant blitz defense of the Tommies, and Erdman had a spectacular game, and Gillach torched the defense with his prowess. If they played again, it might be a 21 - 17 type game. Look at their overall performance, and not just one weird game.

Interested to see how SJU's and UST's defense perform against another elite program. Unfortunately, they won't see one again till the playoffs. So we won't know if this was an anomaly as retagent suggests, or if emma has a point.

With that being said, I'll just leave this here....

UST's Josh Parks has torched every defense he's faced this season, including SJU's. Averaging nearly 10 yards per carry! However against a WIAC school, 2-win UWEC, he was held to 67 yards on 17 carries (3.9 per). Not sure what that means, just interesting.