FB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rscl70

Quote from: emma17 on December 17, 2017, 05:04:39 PM
Not to get into a battle between Wesleydad and MUC, but for accuracy on the subject of the touchdown catch, I don't think luck was a part of it as I don't believe either of the MHB defenders ever touched the ball. Hill out-jumped both defenders and actually touched the ball first, sort of tipping it into the air, and then caught his own deflection as he landed.

The play was an amazing athletic play by a receiver that has proved to be highly skilled at catching the ball in difficult situations (as I had to witness vs UWO).

Good teams make their own luck.  Talanted athletes make "lucky" catches.
12-0 = 13

purple

Mount Union also has, according to the D3 Football.Com All American Football voters, the best kept secret in college football coming back at quarterback. His name is DeAngelo Fulford. He will be a junior. Wears number 12.
All he did was have the best and most successful sophomore year at QB any Purple Raider quarterback has ever had. None of the D3Football.Com voters know about him. His stats somehow eluded them. The stats of the Mount Union offense eluded them. They missed the Oscosh game. He wasn't even Honorable Mention. LOL. But then again, they also insulted the American Football Coaches Association and put Cole Parrish on the THIRD team.

WRMUalum13

Quote from: purple on December 17, 2017, 06:42:28 PM
Mount Union also has, according to the D3 Football.Com All American Football voters, the best kept secret in college football coming back at quarterback. His name is DeAngelo Fulford. He will be a junior. Wears number 12.
All he did was have the best and most successful sophomore year at QB any Purple Raider quarterback has ever had. None of the D3Football.Com voters know about him. His stats somehow eluded them. The stats of the Mount Union offense eluded them. They missed the Oscosh game. He wasn't even Honorable Mention. LOL. But then again, they also insulted the American Football Coaches Association and put Cole Parrish on the THIRD team.

I'm still baffled by this, he only had 15 more touchdown passes than this years Gagliardi winner and was the most efficient qb in all levels of college Football by a mile...

skunks_sidekick

Quote from: WRMUalum13 on December 17, 2017, 07:06:31 PM
Quote from: purple on December 17, 2017, 06:42:28 PM

I'm still baffled by this, he only had 15 more touchdown passes than this years Gagliardi winner and was the most efficient qb in all levels of college Football by a mile...

Sophomore + "Trouble" = ????  (I guess?????)   ::)

Kira & Jaxon's Dad

RE Fulford:

No inside knowledge here, but I suspect he wasn't named because of his pending off the field issues.  It will be interesting to see if anything newsworthy comes of it, because it happened when he was a minor, and details may not be released to the public.
National Champions - 13: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017

Raider 68

K & J's Dad,

Thanks for your annual analysis!  :) +K
13 time Division III National Champions

wesleydad

Not to get into a battle between Wesleydad and MUC, but for accuracy on the subject of the touchdown catch, I don't think luck was a part of it as I don't believe either of the MHB defenders ever touched the ball. Hill out-jumped both defenders and actually touched the ball first, sort of tipping it into the air, and then caught his own deflection as he landed.

The play was an amazing athletic play by a receiver that has proved to be highly skilled at catching the ball in difficult situations (as I had to witness vs UWO).

Unless I saw something different, both UMHB players touched the ball, but maybe I missed it.

WRMUalum13

Quote from: Kira & Jaxon's Dad on December 17, 2017, 07:10:46 PM
RE Fulford:

No inside knowledge here, but I suspect he wasn't named because of his pending off the field issues.  It will be interesting to see if anything newsworthy comes of it, because it happened when he was a minor, and details may not be released to the public.

That makes sense I guess, but all American should be based on on the field performance IMHO

Little Giant 89

formerd3db

Quote from: wesleydad on December 17, 2017, 07:24:16 PM

Unless I saw something different, both UMHB players touched the ball, but maybe I missed it.

The only aspect about that play that was "lucky", as I previously mentioned, was that it was lucky offensive holding wasn't called on Mount because it did occur.  However, I agree with Wesleydad that, IMO, the UMHB defenders touched the ball (at the very least, one of them did) and it also was not a lucky catch-it was a great catch, which great receivers do.   
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

HScoach

I have  no problem with Fulford being overlooked.   The pending legal issues eliminated any chance.  Plus the Mount QB also had a bit of "system" to overcome when it comes to national awards.   Even the most average of QB's put up good numbers playing for Mount against the OAC.

Moving forward he'll also have to compete with Germinero who is also a sophomore and put up similar numbers against MHB with a  less talented supporting cast.
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

Desertraider

1. I have no problem with Fulford being overlooked for the AA stuff but Cole Parrish ??? That one I don't get.

2. Mount and luck and the non-hold....like they say holding happens on every play if they choose to call it. My brother played oline and said that once ya give up 2 or 3 sacks - holding is the norm. In other words - UMHB was holding like a mother with a newborn in quarters 3 and 4. No calls. On the catch - it's lucky once, it's incredibly lucky twice, it's skill after that. Look at his season - it's skill.

3. On VK. When I said (after the Fulford stuff broke) that schools could target a bit higher on the coaching tree than OC...I was talking about VK (Duh). The pregame brunch before WL was a lot of talk about LK - no one mentioned VK. It was "Larry will do the right thing", "Larry runs a clean program", LK, LK, LK. No one mentioned Vince. I know Vince knew when he took over that the shoes were big and the shadow long - but after 5 years...the talk is still about LK. He may be ripe to go just to get out of the shadow. No offense to either one - but if VK stays LK has to retire in order for Vince to get that recognition. If VK goes....HC would have to go to Kappas or he is gone as well. If that happens....Trouble right here in Carnation City.

4. On the weather - if it was not an issue when UMHB won last year against Oshkosh in 27 degrees, why is it an issue when that same UMHB team loses to Mount this year in 35 degrees? Seriously - I would like to know.
RIP MUC57 - Go Everybody!
National Champions: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017
The Autumn Wind is a Raider!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzEYK_XjyLg
Immaculate Prevention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZLq_acsVN0

WRMUalum13

Quote from: HScoach on December 17, 2017, 09:18:37 PM
I have  no problem with Fulford being overlooked.   The pending legal issues eliminated any chance.  Plus the Mount QB also had a bit of "system" to overcome when it comes to national awards.   Even the most average of QB's put up good numbers playing for Mount against the OAC.

Moving forward he'll also have to compete with Germinero who is also a sophomore and put up similar numbers against MHB with a less talented supporting cast.

That's a fair point, Luke Poorman did throw 6 tds against FSU.

emma17

Quote from: formerd3db on December 17, 2017, 09:01:43 PM
Quote from: wesleydad on December 17, 2017, 07:24:16 PM

The only aspect about that play that was "lucky", as I previously mentioned, was that it was lucky offensive holding wasn't called on Mount because it did occur.  However, I agree with Wesleydad that, IMO, the UMHB defenders touched the ball (at the very least, one of them did) and it also was not a lucky catch-it was a great catch, which great receivers do.

Not trying to belabor the luck issue (formerd3, I know you aren't saying he was lucky), but two points.
-I thought some thought Mt was lucky because MHB "missed the interception", which then bounced into Hills's hands. A careful review of the replay, especially the angle looking from the end zone toward the line of scrimmage, shows this is absolutely not the case.
-Hill deserves as much credit as a receiver can possibly get for this play. This play is no less than a Great one-handed catch we see on ESPN. The concentration needed to see a ball pass closely by two sets of hands maintaining the presence of mind to catch the tip is worth nothing less than full congratulations.

MUC57

Emma17 et al

Contrary to the view of Wesleydad, it seems "the catch" is seen to be one of skill and not luck. Especially since he made catches like that throughout the year. Nice that all of you saw it the way I did. Not because I need support on my view, but because a great catch deserves credit. I guess we've pretty much beat this to death. Enough said.

I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠