MBB: St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by FC News, March 01, 2005, 11:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Former Devil 40

Word on the street is that Shea has a sprained foot.  I don't know the severity of the injury but I think he did it Thursday in practice before the Blackburn game.

hopefan

Quote from: Former Devil 40 on December 12, 2017, 08:16:20 AM
Word on the street is that Shea has a sprained foot.  I don't know the severity of the injury but I think he did it Thursday in practice before the Blackburn game.

Hey Hey.. a note from a VERY GOOD SLIAC player from the past!!!  Good to see you on the boards again Dr Z, and thanks for the info!!!
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

hopefan

I lose a lot of confidence in Massey ratings when I do a Matchup between Iowa Wesleyan and Blackburn (being played Saturday) and it forecasts an Iowa Wesleyan win 89-84.... hard to imagine what that system is seeing that would make IWU the favorite

Wait, maybe that's it!!! maybe Iowa Wesleyan reverted to IWU in the system, and they though BC was playing Illinois Wesleyan!! ;D ;D ;D

Of course Massey will have the biggest laugh if IOWA wez wins that game!!

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: hopefan on December 13, 2017, 10:12:37 AM
I lose a lot of confidence in Massey ratings when I do a Matchup between Iowa Wesleyan and Blackburn (being played Saturday) and it forecasts an Iowa Wesleyan win 89-84.... hard to imagine what that system is seeing that would make IWU the favorite

Wait, maybe that's it!!! maybe Iowa Wesleyan reverted to IWU in the system, and they though BC was playing Illinois Wesleyan!! ;D ;D ;D

Of course Massey will have the biggest laugh if IOWA wez wins that game!!

If they have mistaken Iowa Wes for IWU, it should favor the Titans by more than 5! LOL
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

hopefan

Spalding beats Centre 68-66, on Cornelius Watts hoop and Dominique Ellis Free throws in last 30 seconds.... Centre is clearly down this year, but still a good win for Spalding and the SLIAC... Webster also beat Centre....

Greek Tragedy

Another full slate of SLIAC games this weekend.

Spalding takes on MacMurray and we're still waiting for Davis to show up from Eureka. He was an absolute stud last year playing in the shadows of Feehan, but he's averaging just 13.3 fantasy points a game overall with an uptick to 15 fpts a game in his 3 conference tilts. Long continues to lead the way with 33 fpts a game in conference, a rise of 5 compared to his overall performance. Cameron has actually dropped 6+ fantasy points a game in conference whereas he averages over 23 in all games. Spalding has the 2nd stiffest defense in the conference at just under 72 a game, so it's unlikely we'll see a fantasy breakout from Davis. Long will again get his numbers, but Spalding should handle MacMurray pretty easily.

Principia meets Westminster and Wands will try to increase his lead in his personal battle with Goodman. Wands is up to 31 fpts a game vs conference foes that includes a game vs Greenville. Ironically, his numbers didn't increase much because of "The System" factor. He had a huge game against Webster that added 3 fpts a game to his total games average. Goodman, as predicted, has had to share his fantasy points with Paulson (29.3 fpts a game) and Davidson (30.3). Davidson is averaging 4 more fpts a game more in conference than his season average. Goodman is averaging only 23 fpts a game. I think the trio of Goodman, Paulson and Davidson will be too much for Wands.

An interesting game for Fontbonne and the fantasy leaguers as a few posters have taken McCann and DeLine in the One & Done League hoping for an outburst against The System. Both are averaging just 18 fpts a game in conference, which is below they 21 and 22 fpts a game overall. Fontbonne has played 3 of the top 4 defenses in the conference, so that may explain their decline in production. No worries here, but usually you expect a 50% increase in production vs System teams and even 27 fpts against Greenville isn't anything to get excited about. I think Greenville is for real despite all the new faces and Greenville's Dix is turning heads in the fantasy world as he's up to 28 fpts a game.

Iowa Wesleyan and Butler take on a Blackburn team that spreads the ball around. Butler is averaging a healthy 32 a game overall and his average jumps to 37 fpts a game in conference thanks to his huge game against Greenville. Those numbers should be tempered against a solid Blackburn that's 3rd in points allowed. One of these days maybe Butler, Mitch Drey and Elijah Johnson will all play together. Until then, let Butler get his points while Blackburn gets the win.

No one knows if Feehan is playing or not and we all know Eureka is nothing without him. Apologies to Hank Thomas, but Eureka was handled easily against Blackburn. Webster gave up a huge game to Wands, so if Feehan plays he could top his 47 fpt conference average. Thomas obviously plays better if Feehan is drawing all the attention, but even his 28 fpt conference average is pretty decent, though both have the added bonus of having big games vs Greenville. Webster, as usual, has no one of fantasy significance, like Blackburn. Obviously if Feehan plays, Eureka wins.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

hopefan

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on December 14, 2017, 10:21:49 PM

No one knows if Feehan is playing or not and we all know Eureka is nothing without him.  Obviously if Feehan plays, Eureka wins.

Now THAT is a bold statement....

Feehan or no Feehan, that is the question..

3.5 hours to Eureka (vs Webster), with a possibility of Feehan playing, plus a good ladies' game, or 2 hours to Westmin (vs Prin), no ladies' game.  Tough decision.

COME ON READERS, IS FEEHAN PLAYING?

Greek Tragedy

If there's any doubt that Feehan isn't playing, I'd save myself two hours and see Wands take on the 3-headed monster for Goodman, Paulson and Davidson.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

hopefan

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on December 15, 2017, 01:12:52 PM
If there's any doubt that Feehan isn't playing, I'd save myself two hours and see Wands take on the 3-headed monster for Goodman, Paulson and Davidson.

Hmmmm.. just got a WOTS that it will be a game time decision.... I'm beginning to lean the Westmin direction....  The magic Wands vs the 3 headed monster...

BUT, open to any updates from Eureka!!!!

hopefan

Not much went right today for some teams... and me... bad decision to go to Westmin-Prin... I showed up, not much from Prin did... Iowa Wez beats Blackburn???  Mac beats Spalding???  No one was able to confirm Feehan was playing (NO HARD FEELINGS, RED, YOU DID YOUR BEST), so I miss his 34 points, but a relatively one-sided game....  Poor Fontbonne turns it over 37 times, still scores 137, still loses by 9.....a wasted trip for me looking for a close game, Westmin defense makes Prin look pitiful... let's turn it over, let's miss layups, let's keep firing up 3 pointers.... I saw ONE good assist pass in 35  minutes from Prin, ONE, and when Parker Davidson picked up his 4th then got his 5th with an accompanying Technical, I WALKED...and I rarely if ever do that...  But hey, KUDOS to Westmin, they dominated..how in the world did they lose to Greenville?

hopefan

Hopefan's All Conference team through 4 league games

First Team
Kobe Wands, Westmin
Feehan, Eureka
Long, Mac
Butler, IWU
Davidson, Prin

2nd Team
Ellis, Spalding
King, Blackburn
Dix, Greenville
Williams, Spalding
Tankins, Webster

Remember, based on 4 League games, not non-conference games, and not just 1 or 2 great League games...  A bunch of turnovers or a poor shooting night can offset other good performance..

hopefan

A very nice win for Westminster yesterday vs Millikin... the same defense that took Principia apart on Saturday pushed Millikin into 25 turnovers...That's how to win games when you have to play most of every game with 4 guards on the floor..... Kobe Wands leads the way with 25...

Incidentally, the boxscore of the Westmin-Prin game shows Westmin's Jimmy Villabalos playing a couple minutes.... He did not...he was in street clothes watching the game....Bad Back

In the space of one weekend, IN MY MIND, Westmin elevated themselves to be considered a 1-2 contender with Eureka.... BC shows they're human, Webster also to be considered, Greenville still a mystery, Spalding still has to prove it to me.... Prin was really bad, I'm very disappointed because they had looked good earlier... would love to see Mac and Iowa Wesleyan work their way back... and I hope so much that Fontbonne doesn't accept these losses, SO MUCH POTENTIAL.

DARN... how good would Westmin be with O'Brien, Tabb, Villabalos....   WOTS... we may see Tabb back next year....

Note.. Iowa Wez is pretty decent when Drey, Johnson show up to help Butler.... another SLIAC mystery.... and there are several other mysterys that I just won't go in to......

hopefan

A handful of pre-Christmas games in the SLIAC this week

Hoops in Hawaii Classic   12/18/2017   Principia   TN   SLIAC      UC Santa Cruz   TN   IND
                                   12/18/2017   Illinois Tech   H   INDb      Fontbonne   A   SLIAC
Hoops in Hawaii Classic   12/19/2017   Principia   TN   SLIAC      Pacific   TN   NWC
                                   12/19/2017   Loras   H   IIAC      Blackburn   A   SLIAC
                                   12/19/2017   Eureka   H   SLIAC      Dominican   A   NATHC
                                   12/19/2017   Iowa Wesleyan   A   SLIAC      St. Cloud State   H   NCAA-D2
                                   12/20/2017   University of Dallas   H   SCAC      MacMurray   A   SLIAC
                                    12/21/2017   Texas-Dallas   H   ASC      MacMurray   A   SLIAC

Eureka should take care of Dominican, but the rest of these games will be very tough for SLIAC teams... hopefully Mac and Iowa Wesleyan can use their conference wins from Saturday as springboards for a good performance on the road this week....

Greek Tragedy

I'm not a SLIAC expert and I've never played one on TV. There's a big two-week break between conference games now.

As it stands, Eureka is the team to beat as long as Feehan is healthy. Another huge game for the Conference POTY elect. Opponents know what they have to do, but they just can't stop him. He had another huge game against Webster. They've won all their conference games by double-digits with their lone loss coming to Blackburn...without Feehan. So, until someone learns how to stop Feehan, even with a lack of a supporting cast (sorry Hank Thomas), Eureka could see an NCAA tournament appearance.

Blackburn is also 3-1 in conference with their lone loss coming to Iowa Wesleyan. Uh? Blackburn is the complete opposite of Eureka as they spread the ball around as good as any conference foe. They also sport the 2nd best scoring defense. For the record, they have beaten a disappointing MacMurray team, Fontbonne, picked last, and  Feehan-less Eureka team. It's early, but Blackburn is really exceeding expectations as they were picked 9th. Despite the hot start, I doubt they'll be in the Top 4 come February.

Conference preseason favorite, Westminster, checks in at 3-1 as well. It's basically been the Kobe Wands show, but defense has also been key. Despite playing Greenville, Westminster still sports the 3rd best scoring defense while the top two have not played Greenville yet. His supporting cast has helped, mainly Hollandsworth. but Villalobos should return at the turn of the year? If Villalobos returns, Westminster could prove the voters right.

Greenville is the last team to come in at 3-1. They are such a hard team to figure out as they basically have a whole new team this season. It seems to be working, although they aren't wowing opponents. They are usually squeaking by, but they did hand Westminster their only conference loss. They'll have some cold shooting nights, but they should finish in the Top 4.

Webster is 2-0 at home and 0-2 on the road in conference play. They have basically beaten who they are supposed to (Principia and Fontbonne) and lost to who they were supposed to (Eureka and Westminster). A young squad that will take their lumps will probably finish where they were predicted, 6th.

Spalding is another team I know very little about. They are 2-2 as well. They do have the best scoring defense in the conference, so they have that going for them. They were picked 5th and actually got a 1st place vote. Obviously that coach had a late night prior to voting the next day.

I'm not really sure what to think of Principia. You would think with the trio of Goodman dishing, Paulson scoring and Davidson rebounding, Principia would be rolling. However, after blitzing MacMurray, they get absolutely man-handled against Westminster. Someone besides the Big 3 has to help out or it will be a long season for them. They were predicted 7th and will need their bench if they want to finish higher.

MacMurray, at 1-3, has to be one of the biggest disappointing teams this early season.
Having Brent Long, getting Cameron back and adding Kendall Davis should have resulted in happy times for the Highlanders, but it hasn't. Maybe they've turned the corner with their 1st conference win against Spalding, but lots of work needs to be done. They've given up 80+ points in their 3 conference losses. They aren't dead in the water yet, so they can still reach their #2 preseason conference ranking.

Brock Butler has basically been a one-man wrecking crew for the 1-3 Iowa Wesleyan Tigers. However they got their 1st win with Elijah Johnson and Mitch Drey in the lineup. If those guys can actually play some games on a consistent basis, I can see Iowa Wesleyan putting some wins together.

Fontbonne is the only winless team in conference. There's light at the end of the tunnel as they haven't played horrible. They have one 10-point loss and the other 3 are single-digit losses. They'll get a few wins this season, but it probably won't prevent them from finishing last.

Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

hopefan

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on December 18, 2017, 10:39:51 AM

Conference preseason favorite, Westminster, checks in at 3-1 as well. It's basically been the Kobe Wands show, but defense has also been key. Despite playing Greenville, Westminster still sports the 3rd best scoring defense while the top two have not played Greenville yet. His supporting cast has helped, mainly Hollandsworth, but Villalobos should return at the turn of the year? If that happens, Westminster could prove the voters right.

Curious where that is coming from?   Fact or total guess?  That's a big deal if it happens.... One more athletic guard in the lineup to apply pressure defense.