FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjusection105

Quote from: Greggers on October 16, 2018, 08:24:28 PM
Quote from: DuffMan on October 16, 2018, 03:24:11 PM
Quote from: Greggers on October 16, 2018, 02:50:56 PM...I think it would help them with the committee by airing it out and blowing out teams considering nobody left on the schedule should have the athletes to cover St. John's

I'm curious what you mean by "help them with the committee."  They've outscored opponents 257-49 and beat U$T thus far.  I don't really think trouncing a few mediocre MIAC teams will impress anyone.  The name of the game now is winning out and keeping everyone healthy.

Edit: I don't believe for an instant that SJU was "hiding" that offense.  I think they came up with a solid game plan for U$T and executed it.

They did not put that plan in place before the game, they made that game plan before the season and practiced it during the summer

Can you confirm or deny the rumors flying that this or a similar offensive scheme was practiced last year before the game at Target Field and for some unknown reason was shelved shortly before kick off?? Inquiring minds want to know  ???
As of now they're on DOUBLE SECRET Probation!

DuffMan

They did not put that plan in place before the game, they made that game plan before the season and practiced it during the summer

That doesn't mean they were hiding it.  It just means they developed it for a specific opponent and used it against them.  Gary would love to run the ball 40 times per game, but The Gagliardi way is to adapt to your personnel and to what the defense gives you.  I don't think you're going to see JE throw the ball 50+ times every game from here on out.

A tradition unrivaled...
MIAC Champions: 1932, 1935, 1936, 1938, 1953, 1962, 1963, 1965, 1971, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1979, 1982, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022
National Champions: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003

sjujohnnie

The Hansen composite ratings are updated & have St John's #1 overall! Fun to watch & think of the possibilities! Obviously the team needs to put in the work to continue to improve & take each opponent seriously! The podcast had some insight into the stiffer challenge West Region teams face to advance in the playoffs vs what the Mount Unions, Mary Hardin-Baylors face. Essentially saying there is stiffer competition in the West. As always, I hope a repeat of 2003 is in store!

Greggers

Quote from: DuffMan on October 16, 2018, 08:39:06 PM

That doesn't mean they were hiding it.  It just means they developed it for a specific opponent and used it against them.  Gary would love to run the ball 40 times per game, but The Gagliardi way is to adapt to your personnel and to what the defense gives you.  I don't think you're going to see JE throw the ball 50+ times every game from here on out.
I think you will obviously see them run more because they will be able to against inferior competition but I think that this will be the go to offense from here on out, there are few teams that can cover the passing threat SJU possess if the O-Line holds up.

sfury

Mentioned this on the game thread but the maddening use of replays on the Stretch games is something else. Number one all-time example, as I just went back to rewatch: On Jackson's fumble recovery, the replay starts as Jackson picks up the ball! The live action then picks up with Jackson running on the Tommies 30-yard line. These replays start .005 seconds after the play ends...and sometimes the play isn't even over! So the biggest play of the season, and we didn't even see the dang thing in its entirety. If Stretch was handling the 2003 Stagg, it would have cut to replay as Elliott was bouncing off the Mount defender on his TD run because it would have thought play was over.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: sfury on October 16, 2018, 11:39:02 PM
Mentioned this on the game thread but the maddening use of replays on the Stretch games is something else. Number one all-time example, as I just went back to rewatch: On Jackson's fumble recovery, the replay starts as Jackson picks up the ball! The live action then picks up with Jackson running on the Tommies 30-yard line. These replays start .005 seconds after the play ends...and sometimes the play isn't even over! So the biggest play of the season, and we didn't even see the dang thing in its entirety. If Stretch was handling the 2003 Stagg, it would have cut to replay as Elliott was bouncing off the Mount defender on his TD run because it would have thought play was over.

sfury -- what you're describing is not because of Stretch. Those are production choices made by whomever is producing the broadcast on-site.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

wm4

The SJU stream was really substandard.  I couldn't turn the audio up so I just had to go off video feed, but it was tough to watch.  As Sfury pointed out, the production decisions to switch to replay was so disjointed and goofy.  I had to turn it off at half due to another commitment, but I'm floored to hear they missed the big fumble return.  In addition to that, on many many pass plays the camera was completely unable to follow the ball.  I paid good money to see Perra throw those picks, dang it!

I assume these things are run by students and faculty and I certainly sit down to watch these games what the understanding their may be some issues.  It happens.  But SJU charges $15 for this and now I'm the paying customer and I rightfully so have a higher expectation of the overall production.  It's a shame there's such a mismatch between the fee charged and the overall value.  Frankly, it puts the students running the show in a tough spot and I feel sorry for them. 

Rant off....

sfury

Quote from: Pat Coleman on October 16, 2018, 11:43:06 PM
Quote from: sfury on October 16, 2018, 11:39:02 PM

sfury -- what you're describing is not because of Stretch. Those are production choices made by whomever is producing the broadcast on-site.

Thanks for the insight, Pat. And I certainly don't want to criticize my fellow young Johnnies or Bennies (if they are the ones producing) who are working hard and learning on the job, so would simply say to them, let the play breathe a bit. There's so much downtime in football, plenty of time for replays as the players meander back to the huddle. Let us see the end of the play and the aftermath, whether it's some trash-talking or an opposing coach for a team in purple running down the sideline to protest a no-call.

D O.C.

It's taken me two seasons to lighten up on the students running the LINFIELD Sports Network. It's a class. They theoretically will improve with the guidance of a teacher who knows what's what.
Trouble is some seasons it's only 4 home games.
The newish AD did away with the $12 charge! Back to free. 😁

sfury

Tried a fancy google drive thing here to see that replay in question. Again, appreciate the folks working on it but you can imagine the frustration of being at home, waiting for first victory over St. Thomas in four years, Tommies marching in to make game closer and then....

https://tinyurl.com/y9pk82cf

faunch

Quote from: sfury on October 17, 2018, 12:48:08 AM
Tried a fancy google drive thing here to see that replay in question. Again, appreciate the folks working on it but you can imagine the frustration of being at home, waiting for first victory over St. Thomas in four years, Tommies marching in to make game closer and then....

Gamen highlights...Jackson's fumble return included.
https://youtu.be/PEWbU-Et584

"I'm a uniter...not a divider."

art76

Quote from: faunch on October 17, 2018, 06:49:50 AM
Quote from: sfury on October 17, 2018, 12:48:08 AM

Gamen highlights...Jackson's fumble return included.
https://youtu.be/PEWbU-Et584

Thanx for sharing the links.
You don't have a soul. You are a soul.
You have a body. - C.S. Lewis

MiacMan

Quote from: jamtoTommie on October 16, 2018, 08:26:19 PM
Quote from: Greggers on October 16, 2018, 08:20:55 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on October 16, 2018, 05:12:45 PM
Definitely a factor, and in recent years the committee has looked beyond just "X beat Y and Z beat Y" in order to rank teams. So if X beats Y by a field goal and Z beats Y by 24 points, that would be something they could consider. But if X beats Y by 14 and Z beats Y by 10, 17, 21, that's usually not considered significantly different.
If this is true why is Brockport ranked ahead of SJU? They don't have a better resume but have only beat the teams they have played, which have been mostly subpar by a lot and are ranked #3?
The Top25 here is not reflective of the committee for one.
Also the committee would consider that Brockport was a semifinal team last year as a part of the criteria and it appears the voters in this poll are factoring that in

If UST wins out, maybe the committee will do what they should have done last year and send them out east as the 7-8th overall seed to compete with Brockport and Frostburg.

jamtod

Quote from: MiacMan on October 17, 2018, 10:08:42 AM
Definitely a factor, and in recent years the committee has looked beyond just "X beat Y and Z beat Y" in order to rank teams. So if X beats Y by a field goal and Z beats Y by 24 points, that would be something they could consider. But if X beats Y by 14 and Z beats Y by 10, 17, 21, that's usually not considered significantly different.
If this is true why is Brockport ranked ahead of SJU? They don't have a better resume but have only beat the teams they have played, which have been mostly subpar by a lot and are ranked #3?
Also the committee would consider that Brockport was a semifinal team last year as a part of the criteria and it appears the voters in this poll are factoring that in

If UST wins out, maybe the committee will do what they should have done last year and send them out east as the 7-8th overall seed to compete with Brockport and Frostburg.

I want a first round home game if it's at all possible. Maybe we go on the road to Iowa for round 1. After that, I'd take Brockport and Frostburg over St John's and Whitewater in a second. It would give the east a chance to either win a big game or get beatdown like much of the rest of the country expects them to.

MiacMan

Quote from: jamtoTommie on October 17, 2018, 10:18:52 AM
Quote from: MiacMan on October 17, 2018, 10:08:42 AM

I want a first round home game if it's at all possible. Maybe we go on the road to Iowa for round 1. After that, I'd take Brockport and Frostburg over St John's and Whitewater in a second. It would give the east a chance to either win a big game or get beatdown like much of the rest of the country expects them to.

JamTo +k, Exactly!