The Top 10 West Region teams of the D3football.com Era

Started by wildcat11, July 11, 2007, 07:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Coleman

Quote from: d-train on July 23, 2007, 07:08:13 PM
Maybe make 'em play the '99 Lutes and '05 Warhawks in semifinal pairings?

If you like. But the '05 Warhawks were much better coached than the '99 Profs. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

d-train

Quote from: Pat Coleman on July 24, 2007, 12:27:00 AM

If you like. But the '05 Warhawks were much better coached than the '99 Profs. :)

Pat, I totally agree...but you gotta use the 'sunglasses' smiley when you throw a dig at Keeler & Co.  8)

Pat Coleman

Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

HScoach

Quote from: Pat Coleman on July 24, 2007, 12:27:00 AM

My son's Pop Warner football team is better coached than the Profs.  KC and His Sunshine Boys thought they'd won the title in Alliance.  Someone forgot to tell them they had to play PLU the next week.
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

Pat Coleman

I know people told them. Doesn't mean they listened.

D O.C.

1. 2003 SJU (Champs, outsmarted LINFIELD)
2. 2005 UWW (Beat #1 on the road, Stagg Runner up)
3. 2004 LINFIELD (Champs, Qb fell from the sky, could score if you turned your head)
4. 1999 PLU (Champs, never saw them but entertaining reading)
5. 2000 SJU (Just a FG away)
6. 2006 UWW
7.  2002 SJU (beat 'CATS at home but fell short to the River Walk QB)
8. 2005 LINFIELD (Been in Stagg Bowl again if a hero runner emerged w/ UWW )
9. 2003 LINFIELD (peaked against 03 champs)
10. 2000 Central  (why not?)

Ralph Turner

DOC, how about one degree of Kevin Bacon LINFIELD 'CATS to evaluate West Region Football!

2. 2005 UWW (Beat #1 West Region Seed, LINFIELD, on the road; Stagg Runner up)
3. 2004 LINFIELD (Champs, QB fell from the sky, could score if you turned your head)
4. 1999 PLU (Champs, never saw them but entertaining reading.  They beat LINFIELD 56-23 in the regular season.)
5. 2000 SJU (Just a FG away from winning the Stagg after beating a Central team that had beaten LINFIELD.)
6. 2006 UWW (Probably would have been rated more highly if they had beaten LINFIELD )
10. 2000 Central  (why not?  They beat LINFIELD 20-17 in the first round!)

:D ;D ;)

D O.C.

wildcat11

Quote from: D O.C. on July 27, 2007, 09:25:35 PM
3. 2004 LINFIELD (Champs, Qb fell from the sky, could score if you turned your head)

D O.C.,

Am I going to have to ask you to turn in your Wildcat card?  To put a team that did not win the Stagg Bowl over the number 1 West Region team of the d3.com era is borderline criminal!

D O.C.

Much thought and self-flagellation, my man.
Reasoning (?!) is they beat us at home in clear weather with all those points.
Give me a few more seasons and I'm sure my revisionism may kick in.
As long as we're dining at the Dead Horse Cafe...Stagg MVP Jenkins with his one hand catch on the swing pass coupled with the Db quitting on the TD and we'd have had to come up with some more points some way.
Perhaps I'm setting the bar high for this season.

(post script) I got to put you to 400 for starting this thread

footballfan413

Quote from: D O.C. on July 27, 2007, 09:25:35 PM
4. 1999 PLU (Champs, never saw them but entertaining reading)
5. 2000 SJU (Just a FG away)
6. 2006 UWW
10. 2000 Central  (why not?)

+kama to you now and for days to come!!   ;)

Easy on him, WC11, he can't help that he's a Hawks fan now any more than I can help being a Cats fan!   ;D
"Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong!"  Dennis Miller

"Three things you don't want to be in football, slow, small and friendly!"  John Madden

"You can learn more character on the two-yard line than anywhere else in
life." Paul Dietzel / LSU

K-Mack

Quote from: wildcat11 on July 11, 2007, 07:54:17 PM
Yeah...this has been done very well out on the East and South board so I figure we should knock this around out west.  I won't go into great detail but give you my 10 ten list: 

1. 2004 Linfield (Champs)
2. 2003 SJU (Champs)
3. 1999 PLU (Champs)
4. 2000 SJU (Just a FG away from Champs)
5. 2005 UWW (Beat #1 on the road, Stagg Runner up)
6. 2006 UWW (Great run but felt the '05 team was better)
7. 2005 Linfield (Would have been Stagg Bowl bound if not for UWW)
8. 2002 SJU (Defeated an excellent 'Cat team but fell short to the River Walk QB)
9. 2003 Linfield (Gave the 03 champs their toughest and closest game of the playoffs)
10. 2000 Central  (Great defensive squad and wanted to mix it up a bit)

Of course I'm putting Linfield on the top with such a great offense, but 2003 SJU did knock off Mount, and 1999 PLU did with 5 games on the road in their pasting of Rowan.

Just reading this for the first time, but man I think you could debate that 1-2-3 til you're blue in the face, and same with the 4-5-6. Those Whitewater teams were as good as any I've seen.

Will read on, I can see already there's been some good debate.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

K-Mack

Quote from: Pat Coleman on July 11, 2007, 08:25:48 PM
It remains the only time that Mount Union has lost by more than 12 points since 1992. I would go with St. John's, too.

I think I agree there, but what about 1999 PLU as No. 1?
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

K-Mack

Well, great discussion, I've read most of it so far and lots of great points to consider.

I might move one of the UWWs in at 4 ... why do people think '05 UWW was definitely better than '06? Because of the Stagg scores vs. MUC? Other tight playoff scores?

'06 UWW did it without Beaver for 5 games and both took a pretty tough road to the Stagg.

I guess '05 did win at Linfield. That's significant.

'00 SJU wasn't bad either.

This is really a heck of a bunch of decisions to make.

Seriously though, no St. Norbert?

(uncalled for?)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

footballfan413

Quote from: K-Mack on August 01, 2007, 02:33:13 AM
Well, great discussion, I've read most of it so far and lots of great points to consider.

I might move one of the UWWs in at 4 ... why do people think '05 UWW was definitely better than '06? Because of the Stagg scores vs. MUC? Other tight playoff scores?

'06 UWW did it without Beaver for 5 games and both took a pretty tough road to the Stagg.

I guess '05 did win at Linfield. That's significant.

'00 SJU wasn't bad either.

This is really a heck of a bunch of decisions to make.

Seriously though, no St. Norbert?

(uncalled for?)

My 2 cents on why I think the 05 UWW team was better than 06 and it's got nothing to do with the Stagg score.  The 05 team was a well oiled offensive machine.  They were clicking on all cylinders from the first game.  Great execution and they seemed to be able to score at will, passing or rushing, and special teams and the defense were just as outstanding.  No weaknesses and thanks to no significant injuries, they got better every game and once their confidence grew, they just rolled through the season until they hit the brick wall that is MUC.  I believe their road to the Stagg was harder than 06.  Thanks to the NCAA for leaving the West Region loaded, they had to beat #3 SJU and then go on the road to take on the defending champs, #1 Linfield.  I felt all along that our best shot at MUC was in 05.  06 was a much more challenging year with injuries to many key players and the team, while getting it done, stuggled much more at times.  They also enjoyed home field for all play-off games.  But, hey, maybe the fact that they struggled more and had to overcome more adversity and still ended up at the same place at the end of the year, (and did it with a target on their backs,)  should weigh heavy for that team to be considered better as K-Mack has pointed out.  All subjective and debatable.  It is really an honor for both teams to be considered for this list. 

I still like D.O.C.'s top three................... ;)
"Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong!"  Dennis Miller

"Three things you don't want to be in football, slow, small and friendly!"  John Madden

"You can learn more character on the two-yard line than anywhere else in
life." Paul Dietzel / LSU