Conference changes

Started by hopefan, May 01, 2008, 11:25:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Ralph Turner on April 17, 2018, 04:02:20 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on April 17, 2018, 03:24:48 PM
Thomas More leaving independent for the dark side in 2019-20.
http://www.d3sports.com/notables/2018/04/thomas-more-leaving-ncaa
Sadly, but realistically, did we not see this coming?

To those of us who were keeping tabs on things and talking to individuals, yeah... saw this coming. I think TMC will use the next 12 months to see if there is a Hail Mary out there and a conference who will give them a home... but I just don't think it will end up happening.

Quote from: KnightSlappy on April 17, 2018, 02:57:29 PM
To clarify, Benedictine and Texas-Tyler retain D3 status and count as a normal D3 opponent for selection criteria (even though they themselves are not eligible?)

Correct.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ralph Turner

Mississippi University for Women has hired a men's basketball coach.

http://www.owlsathletics.com/sports/mbkb/index

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: Ralph Turner on April 19, 2018, 02:22:17 PM
Mississippi University for Women has hired a men's basketball coach.

http://www.owlsathletics.com/sports/mbkb/index

I thought they didn't have a men's program. So what does that mean for them? Club team for a few years, exploratory phase?
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Part of them coming to DIII was they were going co-ed.

As for what they do... the next year is probably growing as a program and starting play the following year. Their eligibility is dictated by the school's status in the DIII process.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ralph Turner

The question is where do they land in D-III? They are a public university with tuition under $6,000 in Columbus MS, which is between Birmingham (B-SC) and Memphis (Rhodes).  They are a long way from the USA South and way too far east and north to be a desirable travel partner for Belhaven and the ASC.

Gregory Sager

Yep. I see them as Rust, Part Two.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

No idea where they will land. Could there be another conference to create? I'm grasping a bit to try and find an answer.

I think they may be better than Rust, Sager... they had a press release about a coach... right? :)

Gregory Sager

I meant Rust, Part Two in the geographic and affiliative senses.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Pat Coleman

Part of the affiliation issue with Rust (and something that made it difficult for them to get opponents in general) was what Dave references -- underfunded athletic department made information hard to come by and made them unattractive as an opponent. Certainly you didn't want to play at their place because you have no idea what you'd get in terms of information.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

ronk

Is that why it was named "Rust"?   ::)

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Pat Coleman on April 20, 2018, 02:14:47 PM
Part of the affiliation issue with Rust (and something that made it difficult for them to get opponents in general) was what Dave references -- underfunded athletic department made information hard to come by and made them unattractive as an opponent. Certainly you didn't want to play at their place because you have no idea what you'd get in terms of information.

Yes, of course I remember very well the chaos that Rust created with its informational vacuum, especially given all of the hand-wringing that hopefan did over it in the D3 vs. Others room back when Rust was a D3 member. I was simply saying that this:

Quote from: Ralph Turner on April 19, 2018, 05:53:26 PMThey are a long way from the USA South and way too far east and north to be a desirable travel partner for Belhaven and the ASC.

... was as applicable to Holly Springs, MS as it is to Columbus, MS. Holly Springs is not quite as far east as Columbus, but it's a lot further north.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: ronk on April 20, 2018, 03:15:04 PM
Is that why it was named "Rust"?   ::)
QuoteRUST COLLEGE was established in 1866 by the Freedman's Aid Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Its founders were missionaries from the North who opened a school in Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church, accepting adults of all ages, as well as children, for instruction in elementary subjects. A year later the first building on the present campus was erected.

In 1870, the school was chartered as Shaw University, honoring the Reverend S.O. Shaw, who made a gift of $10,000 to the new institution. In 1892, the name was changed to Rust University to avoid confusion with another Shaw University. The name was a tribute to Richard S. Rust of Cincinnati, Ohio, Secretary of the Freedman's Aid Society. In 1915, the title was changed to the more realistic name, Rust College.

http://www.rustcollege.edu/about_rust.html

jeffconn

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on April 19, 2018, 04:06:47 PM

As for what they do... the next year is probably growing as a program and starting play the following year. Their eligibility is dictated by the school's status in the DIII process.

Mississippi University for Women has been co-ed since 1982 (court ordered, btw). They just never bothered to change the college's name. MUW started ALL their sports teams, both men's and women's, from scratch this last fall.

As for Rust College, they are joining the Gulf Coast Athletic Conference in the NAIA this fall. So they finally found a place to call home.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: jeffconn on April 20, 2018, 08:12:05 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on April 19, 2018, 04:06:47 PM

Mississippi University for Women has been co-ed since 1982 (court ordered, btw). They just never bothered to change the college's name. MUW started ALL their sports teams, both men's and women's, from scratch this last fall.

As for Rust College, they are joining the Gulf Coast Athletic Conference in the NAIA this fall. So they finally found a place to call home.
I am happy for Rust.  This looks like a good fit for them. There is plenty of travel to New Orleans, but hopefully this works out well for them.

http://www.gcaconf.com/members.php

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Gregory Sager on April 20, 2018, 03:35:08 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on April 20, 2018, 02:14:47 PM

Yes, of course I remember very well the chaos that Rust created with its informational vacuum, especially given all of the hand-wringing that hopefan did over it in the D3 vs. Others room back when Rust was a D3 member. I was simply saying that this:

Quote from: Ralph Turner on April 19, 2018, 05:53:26 PMThey are a long way from the USA South and way too far east and north to be a desirable travel partner for Belhaven and the ASC.

... was as applicable to Holly Springs, MS as it is to Columbus, MS. Holly Springs is not quite as far east as Columbus, but it's a lot further north.

I don't know anything about the school, but does it fit the SAA profile? It certainly fills in the SAA map.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.