WBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by wheatonc, March 03, 2005, 06:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jester1390

I had a greta grandma named Pansy im sure ill never meet another.

on the basketball front Rose is getting reay to practice with masks on I cant even imagine.  I had a discussion with the commissioner of the confrence as of now schools can schedule their own non confrence games but of course its hard to find other schools though that may be changing.   With the big 10 changing and highs chool sports deciding to play in the fall and th avaiability of testing may  signal changes.   At Rose I think i last checked it was 6k in tests and 5 students positive. Rose is very aggressive testing every week.  So hopefully we have turned the corner.

RogK

Only 5 covid-positive students at RHIT tells us the students have really cooperated with the spread-prevention efforts of the university. That's a very honorable accomplishment.
Keep it up, I say. Don't abandon successful behavior.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: RogK on September 17, 2020, 11:11:12 PM
I guess we're unlikely to see a resurgence of old-fashioned names like Eunice, Mildred and Chlorine.

You never know which grandpa & grandma names will enjoy a revival. A decade ago, who would've thought that anyone would ever again name their daughter Elsa? Now, thanks to Disney, Elsas are thick on the ground in America's preschools and kindergartens. Two generations ago, Emily was considered to be the ultimate old-lady name. But I'm sure that if you scanned the current rosters of various D3 women's athletics teams, you'd find plenty of Emilies. According to one source, the top eight girl-baby names in the U.S. in 2020 are Olivia, Emma, Ava, Sophia, Isabella, Charlotte, Amelia, and Mia. Those are all names that hadn't been in vogue since before World War II, but they all came back into style in the '90s and they've been big ever since.

Same goes with boys. There's nobody my age named Max, but the nursing homes and the elementary schools of our great land have more than their fair share of Maxes. (And if major-league baseball rosters are any indication, the name Max is now well into its second generation of revived popularity.) Just within my own small church there's an Elliott and an Everett, and a Noah and a Hayden, that are all below kindergarten age, and all come from different families. The church building hosts a daycare that includes preschoolers named Felix, Leo, and Thaddeus. Those are all names that I thought would never make a comeback, but there you go.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Will there be a 2020-21 NCAA Division III basketball season? If so what will it look like? What will the post-season look like?

It is on the mind of student-athletes, coaches, administrators, parents, and fans for several weeks, if not months, now. We are finally understanding what it may look like as a number of decisions or proposals are now making their way around Division III.

In this month's podcast, Dave McHugh not only downloads all the things being considered and the likely outcomes, but tries to give listeners an understanding of how much is still unknown despite some things becoming more clear.

McHugh also talks to Texas-Dallas women's basketball coach Polly Thomason for her take. Thomason has been in the Division III Women's Basketball National Committee for several years and is this season's chair of the committee. She also serves on the WBCA Board of Governors. Thomason not only provides her perspective on much of what is going on not only in Division III, but in women's basketball as well.

And of course, there is always the Hoopsville Notebook. Unfortunately, there is some sad news in the Notebook this month, but also news to celebrate especially when it comes to DIII alums making news in the NBA.

You can listen to the podcast here: https://bit.ly/3kMl0rZ

Hoopsville broadcasts from the WBCA/NABC Studio. All guests are featured on the BlueFrame Technology Hoopsville Hotline. The offseason plan is to do a podcast each month. The shows will be audio-only leading up to the start of the 2020-21 when we will restart the video shows.

If you have questions, ideas, or want to interact with the show, feel free to send them to hoopsville@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options available.

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

We also have the podcast now on Tune-In and others coming. We will update them once we have better abilities to do so.

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3sports.com
Hoopsville Season Archive: www.team1sports.com/Hoopsville
YouTube: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

RogK

The Lindsay Ippel career is celebrated here as one of the best in conference WBB history :
https://cciw.org/news/2020/10/13/womens-basketball-cciw-legacy-series-lindsay-ippel-millikin-university.aspx
To clarify some numbers : she made 121 FTs in 14 conference games in the '06-'07 season and scored 371 pts in 14 conference games in the '07-'08 season.
Her freshman season was quite a story. Millikin had a lot of good frontcourt players and Lindsay played 0 minutes in the team's first several games.
I believe it was a season-ending injury to multi-skilled point-forward Karin Olson which opened up further opportunity for Ippel.
Lindsay ended up scoring a game-high 25 pts in Millikin's D3 championship victory on 3/19/05. She scored in the 20s in 5 of their final 6 games that season.
I think we can also credit coach Lori Kerans for getting Ippel ready to step in and prosper when the chance came.

ronk

Quote from: RogK on October 14, 2020, 02:18:41 PM
The Lindsay Ippel career is celebrated here as one of the best in conference WBB history :
https://cciw.org/news/2020/10/13/womens-basketball-cciw-legacy-series-lindsay-ippel-millikin-university.aspx
To clarify some numbers : she made 121 FTs in 14 conference games in the '06-'07 season and scored 371 pts in 14 conference games in the '07-'08 season.
Her freshman season was quite a story. Millikin had a lot of good frontcourt players and Lindsay played 0 minutes in the team's first several games.
I believe it was a season-ending injury to multi-skilled point-forward Karin Olson which opened up further opportunity for Ippel.
Lindsay ended up scoring a game-high 25 pts in Millikin's D3 championship victory on 3/19/05. She scored in the 20s in 5 of their final 6 games that season.
I think we can also credit coach Lori Kerans for getting Ippel ready to step in and prosper when the chance came.

I was at that game(Scranton played in the 3rd place game); didn't realize that Lindsay was only a freshman; that was a major contribution to a championship. What I did remember from the game was the flawless performance of PG Audrey Minott, so much so that she was the bar that I've used to evaluate PG prospects ever since.

Jester1390

Roger

Have you heard anything on WashU having a tournament in a bubble.  I have heard that they are and there is a chance Rose will be one of the participants if approved to play non confrence by admin.   Rose admin has to sign off on any schools they visit on their covid precautions that they meet their standards which may be tricky as Rose has set the bar for colleges.   They have had only 5 positive tests.  Everyone there gets tested weekley. The students could not step on the campus at the beginning without a negative covid test. 

RogK

No, I haven't heard anything about that.
From what you've heard, might it be more than four teams? Maybe 8 or 16?

Jester1390

I was told by my daughters head coach and all the girls have another year of egilbility.  So I don’t know if he was just assuming.    When I asked her if she and the other girls would play a 5th year.  Her reply oh dad we can’t play we will be working making 6 figures.  My only hope is whoever’s hires her offers to pay for the masters   I think it’s great they are doing it.   I talked to the commissioner of her conference and just said I think it’s to easy for people to dismiss d3 players as they are students first.  But they have put time and sweat and love into their games and I would say maybe love the game more because of how hard the academics are at a lot of d3 schools.  Not a lot of communication majors.

Jester1390

Just watched my first game this year Jamestown vs presentation coached by my daughters last high school coach. Naia looks like they are full tilt.  No mask during play hopefully that will be everywhere

Jamestown shallacked them

Gregory Sager

Quote from: RogK on October 27, 2020, 07:33:07 PM
an interview with Jayla Johnson of North Park :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIcE74i36vo&feature=youtu.be
-

Thanks for that link, Rog.

It was good to see new content on the NPU athletics page. Poor Tyler had been forced into reruns by the lack of anything else to report.

I can say from firsthand knowledge that the shutdown of D3 sports is really hard on those of us who (like Tyler and his fellow CCIW SIDs) work with, or follow, multiple sports. While I don't think that anybody feels it harder than the student-athletes themselves, or the coaches who are directly involved with those student-athletes, the shutdown really wears on you incrementally when you work with and/or have an interest in more sport than one.

The cancellation of each sport I broadcast feels like a distinct and unique robbery.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell