MBB: St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by FC News, March 01, 2005, 11:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hopefan

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on July 19, 2019, 10:16:41 AM
Quote from: hopefan on July 18, 2019, 11:54:56 AM
Quote from: GU1999 on July 17, 2019, 03:15:14 PM
Posted is the commitment list for GU.  Tons of 6' - 6'3" kids from all over the country.   This is a 20 man class.  Dr. Barber often says that when running the system, you need to "double everything".  I think this is clearly a doubling of the size of an incomming class.  This was needed, especially with only a 4 man class last year. 

http://athletics.greenville.edu/sports/mbkb/Men-s_Basketball_Commitments

I'm hoping one or two of them will turn out to have a career like this 2019 grad.  fingers crossed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T99XYQMUH0w&feature=youtu.be

A lot of kids... has to have many of the other SLIAC coaches drooling, if for nothing else, just the amount of kids coming in.. and as has been the usual, looking very athletic... jc kids with experience, a number of the HS kids out of big schools...  GC really has it going... under most circumstances, I'd complain about over recruiting, too many kids never getting a chance.. but with the system, heck, likely 75% of these guys will get a legit chance to prove they should see varsity action...And Ryan, yes, GC has been playing JV games regularly....

It doesn't matter whether the System continues to be successful on the court or not, the admissions department is never going to let them get rid of it.

Ryan... wish you, Pat, Dave and the rest of the crew could get to Greenville to see a game... it really is a quintessential small college campus in the midwest...small town that pretty much revolves around the small college... the SLIAC has 7 schools like that, Eureka, Westminster, Blackburn, MacMurray (though They have to share Jacksonville with Illinois College), Iowa Wesleyan, Principia, along with Greenville... now that I'm gone, I miss it even more than I imagined....
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

hopefan

Rating what is coming back in the SLIAC from the 2019 season (or rather, what should be coming back) is a difficult task.  Some of last year's weaker teams have quite a bit back, but will they be any better relative to the rest of the conference with the same players?  On the other hand, some of the better teams lose some significant contributors, but the players coming back may still be able to carry their team and the required new faces.
So, with NO consideration of new faces, here's a rating and writeup, bottom to top, of what each team lost and returned in the SLIAC going into the 2019-20 season.

These writeups will appear one at a time over time... to build up the suspense for our readers... ;D ;D ;D

10) Principia....  All-Region Micah Paulson graduates along with 6th man Evan Eisenauer.... 64% of points, 85% of rebounds comes back, but given Prin's use of only 7 players on a regular basis and the loss of do-everything Micah Paulson (26.6 ppg, 4 rpg, 3 apg), a huge gap exists for Prin.  They do return one of the most talented players in the league in Trevaughn Goodman (20.4 ppg, 9.4 rpg, 4 apg), but with defenses no longer having to worry about Paulson, it's going to be very tough for Goodman to carry the load himself.  He does get help from Clark Davidson who had an excellent frosh season (12.7 ppg, 8.8 rpg), but he seems to be a work-aholic kind of player rather than a creator.  Brennan Paulson returns, but he and others returning, Zach Matters, Nate Braningham, Kevin Wingert haven't shown they'll be able to contribute much.  Beyond that, there is literally no one with playing experience.  It could be a very tough season for Prin unless new faces add.... a lot.   Prin was 6-19, 5-13 with Micah Paulson, I can't see things getting better without him....

y_jack_lok

Okay, I'm going to take a stab at the order of the hopefan pre-season rankings:

10) Prin
9) Iowa Wes
8) Mac
7) Blackburn
6) Westminster
5) Fontbonne
4) Spalding
3) Eureka
2) Greenville
1) Webster

You provided #10. I think #1 and #2 are pretty easy, as are #8 and #9 (though they might be reversed). But 3-7 could go a number of different ways. You can offer up some teasing comments, hopefan, to get me second guessing myself, but I'll gladly wait for them to be revealed over time.

hopefan

Quote from: y_jack_lok on July 19, 2019, 02:46:23 PM
Okay, I'm going to take a stab at the order of the hopefan pre-season rankings:

10) Prin
9) Iowa Wes
8) Mac
7) Blackburn
6) Westminster
5) Fontbonne
4) Spalding
3) Eureka
2) Greenville
1) Webster

You provided #10. I think #1 and #2 are pretty easy, as are #8 and #9 (though they might be reversed). But 3-7 could go a number of different ways. You can offer up some teasing comments, hopefan, to get me second guessing myself, but I'll gladly wait for them to be revealed over time.

Wait though, mine is a rating only of what is coming back, not necessarily how the teams will finish in the standings given all other contributing factors....

y_jack_lok

Oh. Well, no big deal. I'll stick with my #1 and your #10 and since I don't know the players like you do I'll just leave my guesses in place but assume my #s 2-9 are off -- though I may accidentalyy have put a couple of them in the same spot you will.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: hopefan on July 19, 2019, 10:51:08 AM
Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on July 19, 2019, 10:16:41 AM
Quote from: hopefan on July 18, 2019, 11:54:56 AM
Quote from: GU1999 on July 17, 2019, 03:15:14 PM
Posted is the commitment list for GU.  Tons of 6' - 6'3" kids from all over the country.   This is a 20 man class.  Dr. Barber often says that when running the system, you need to "double everything".  I think this is clearly a doubling of the size of an incomming class.  This was needed, especially with only a 4 man class last year. 

http://athletics.greenville.edu/sports/mbkb/Men-s_Basketball_Commitments

I'm hoping one or two of them will turn out to have a career like this 2019 grad.  fingers crossed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T99XYQMUH0w&feature=youtu.be

A lot of kids... has to have many of the other SLIAC coaches drooling, if for nothing else, just the amount of kids coming in.. and as has been the usual, looking very athletic... jc kids with experience, a number of the HS kids out of big schools...  GC really has it going... under most circumstances, I'd complain about over recruiting, too many kids never getting a chance.. but with the system, heck, likely 75% of these guys will get a legit chance to prove they should see varsity action...And Ryan, yes, GC has been playing JV games regularly....

It doesn't matter whether the System continues to be successful on the court or not, the admissions department is never going to let them get rid of it.

Ryan... wish you, Pat, Dave and the rest of the crew could get to Greenville to see a game... it really is a quintessential small college campus in the midwest...small town that pretty much revolves around the small college... the SLIAC has 7 schools like that, Eureka, Westminster, Blackburn, MacMurray (though They have to share Jacksonville with Illinois College), Iowa Wesleyan, Principia, along with Greenville... now that I'm gone, I miss it even more than I imagined....

I wish I could! It's so far from ... like everything. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I've driven by on I-70 a few times.  I'd definitely stop and check in on Dr. Barber if I passed by again.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

hopefan

Wester and Greenville remain the only SLIAC schools with posted schedules this early

Another interesting scheduling tidbit as I go thru all D3 schedules...  Eureka playing at the University of Dallas on Dec. 29... so far Eureka hasn't shown up on another posted schedule down in that region to show whether they have 2 games in Texas... the Dallas game is NOT a part of a tourney...

hopefan

Ok... had to miss some time with a pretty significant medical issue, and then entertaining visiting grandchildren for a week... but back to our ratings of returning players in the SLIAC...

going back , No 10 was Principia...

No. 9, barely out of No. 10, is a shocker... perennial SLIAC contender Westminster...
A game out of the tourney, Westmin faces critical losses... 4 starters and a role player are gone, with only 40% scoring and rebounding returning... could be tough sledding in a rebuilding year

Gone are 2nd team all conference Romo Tabb (18.6 ppg, 7.8 rpg), Carter Wands (7.9 ppg, 4.9 apg), Stu Hollandsworth (10.8 ppg, 3.7 rpg), and Colin Caywood (7.1 ppg), all were starters, and sub Casey McCollum. 

Returning is 3rd team All Conference Kobe Wands (15.0 ppg, 3.5 rpg), and several players who saw significant time as reserves..Steven Brandt (5.7 ppg, 3.2 rpg), Makygh Galbraith (3.7 ppg), Hayden Drice (2.3 ppg), Nolan Huot (3.7 ppg)...

Just so much lost, and little critical time returning, Coach Mitchell has his work cut out for him... UNLESS new faces contribute big time....

WUPHF

Hey, I am not sure if we covered all the Fontbonne recruits, but in addition to McKinney and the kid from Webster Groves (who should be a serious SLIAC talent), I noticed a while back that they have Elijah Rice coming in from East St. Louis High.  The Flyers are perennial powers and took the Illinois state title yet again this year.

Maybe that was talked about...

This thread needs a dedicated Fontbonne fan.

Greek Tragedy

I know I talk a lot of crap about attending games, but I'm really going to make an effort to see Greenville this season. They are in Wisconsin three times, once in Kenosha and for two games in Waukesha.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

hopefan

Continuing with rating what is coming back, with Prin No 10, Westmin No 9...

(8) MacMurray.... Mac graduates 2 regular starters, Wade Fox (10.8 ppg, 6.4 rpg) and Derek Bourke (11.1 ppg, 6.0 rpg) and part time starter Hunter Flesner (4.4 ppg, 3.9 rpg)...66.5% of points and 58.7% rebounds return.   Key returning players are SLIAC Newcomer of the Year Logan Dorethy (15.3 ppg, 4.8 rpg), Conner Vincent (13.2 ppg),  point guard Drew Burwinkle (8.4 ppg, 4.3 apg), part time starter Judah Renfro, and role players Peyton McCubbin, Zack Pringle, Trevor Voss, and Blake Drew.  Several others saw real game time as Coach Creal started to build for the future.  There are a large number of players returning, but with the loss of Fox and Bourke, will they really be able to compete?  Losses last season to Iowa Wesleyan, Principia and Fontbonne make me skeptical...

hopefan

Another interesting SLIAC scheduling tidbit as I review schedules across the D3 world... Blackburn traveling to Dallas to play in the Texas-Dallas tourney on Dec 28,29...they'll play host UT-D and East Texas Baptist....   it won't be easy... ::) ::)

hopefan

7) Iowa Wesleyan ... the good news is that Iowa Wesleyan returns EVERYONE from last year... but is that the bad news too?  They had a very rough season... still with several international players getting significant time, 2018/19 may have been a learning experience to lead to better things this year.  They beat Prin, Mac and Westmin last year, and each of those teams lost critical components of their makeup.
Back for IWU are all 6 players who started a significant number of games.. Avree Clark (7.2 ppg), Jarryd Fernandez (12.2 ppd, 7.4 rpg), Jake Neubauer (11.6 ppg), Alberto Torres (9.6 ppg), Austin Banks (9.6 ppg, 3.7 apg), and Austin Rebel (12.4 ppg, 9.7 rpg).  Key reserves Kaleb Cresswell, Brian Patterson, Camron Mack, and Alex Dentlinger are all also back.  Here's hoping all of these guys do return, and that IWU can overcome what ever problems it has faced in order to remain a viable functioning institution. 

hopefan

(6)  Blackburn ... Key losses are starting guard Duncan King (11.8 ppg), Sub Jamaya Wyatt  (8.5 ppg, 5.7 rpg)....  76% points, 79% rebounds are back...that sounds pretty good, but when I look at the stats, I see shortfalls that seem difficult to overcome.  A very good 1-2 punch at guard return in 1st Team All Conference Karston Hayes  (19.5 ppg, 3.1 rpg)(though  I wrote at the time I felt Hayes merited only 2nd team reward), and ultra quick Raushaun Adams (12.5 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 2.4 apg), but everyone else?  No one stands out...Bryson Kirby at a 3rd guard slot (7.6 ppg, 4.8 rpg) is the leading returning rebounder, and he cannot be considered a board man.. others back are Nigel Ferrell 4.4 ppg, Tim Marston (3.4 ppg, 2.9 rpg), Chance Aldridge (7.1 ppg), Christian Wagner, Will Pearce, and Xavier Bass.   I think the loss of King and Wyatt may have a far bigger impact than expected.  Seems to me that BC may have over-achieved last year with no big men...Can all the good stuff carry over?