MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by sac, February 19, 2005, 11:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sac

Quote from: hoopdreams on December 06, 2012, 02:30:50 PM
Out of curiousity...What do fellow posters consider to be a poor, average, and outstanding assist/turnover ratio for a point guard?

http://web1.ncaa.org/stats/StatsSrv/rankings?sportCode=MBB

In D3 1.47 is right in the middle of the individual national rankings of 360 or so players. It makes no distinction between positions other than G, F or C.

2.5 and higher gets you in the Top 50

Dustin Hall, Trine
Coltan Overway, Hope
Dave Rietema, Calvin

All three are in the top 100.

I know this doesn't answer your question but its the best I have.

oldknight

Quote from: hoopdreams on December 06, 2012, 02:30:50 PM
Out of curiousity...What do fellow posters consider to be a poor, average, and outstanding assist/turnover ratio for a point guard?

If I'm coaching, my ideal is to have my point guard at no worse than 2:1 even though there are many who don't reach that ratio--even some pretty good ones. David Krombeen was a terrific point but he was only at 1.66:1 last year. The prior year Krombeen's ratio was 2.34:1.  If my point guard is at 3:1 or better I think that is outstanding. Last season's MIAA stats show for the conference season, David Rietema had the best ratio at 2.88:1 with Colton Overway a close second at 2.86:1.

GoKnights68

I would think Calvin's chances of landing Brad Visser, senior from Calvin Christian HS, would be pretty good.  I believe he would be an excellent d3 player, and has had family that has recently graduated from Calvin College.

http://www.grandhaventribune.com/article/sports/258591

oldknight

Quote from: GoKnights68 on December 06, 2012, 04:35:53 PM
I would think Calvin's chances of landing Brad Visser, senior from Calvin Christian HS, would be pretty good.  I believe he would be an excellent d3 player, and has had family that has recently graduated from Calvin College.

http://www.grandhaventribune.com/article/sports/258591

I was at the game and there's no doubt, the kid can fill the basket. A pure shooter with a quick release and long arms.

hoopdreams

Thanks for the feedback, not a huge fan of stats as many may remember but a coach I was sitting with Tuesday night kept spewing them out, so I feel compelled to know at least a couple fancy #'s...just in case.   Did I see that blaukamp from tri- unity is going to cornerstone next fall?  Love that kids game.  FYI unity christian is going to be really good this year if they stay healthy and focused
2013 MIAA Pick em' Champion

wiz

Here's a novel idea.  At least there is hope in the UP.

"The Calvin men's basketball team will travel to Finlandia University on Saturday for a 3 p.m. game in Hancock, Michigan. The contest, to be held on the southern tip of Michigan's Keewanaw Peninsula, will feature a live video stream from Finlandia's Paavo Nurmi Center. The link to the video stream will be available at: http://client.stretchinternet.com/client/finlandia.portal# "

Knight2Day

Quote from: goodknight on December 06, 2012, 01:49:37 PM
Quote from: oldknight on December 06, 2012, 12:29:29 PM
http://highschoolsports.mlive.com/news/article/7274002289746813768/unity-christian-late-bloomer-signs-with-longtime-naia-basketball-power/

When Calvin can't land a good kid--in more ways than one--like this one, I just want to sit down and have a good cry. :'( The article mentions that he comes from an outstanding family which I suppose is true. If I knew Ryan's father I would give him a piece of my mind about how he would have been an even better father by exercising proper headship. >:(

Don't get me started... ::) :'( >:(
Counselor, I think we can find a worthy deponent for you, and you don't have to travel all the way to the UP to depose him.

I wouldn't go calling anyone a bad father for not sending their kid to Calvin. There's probably more than meets the eye with why he isn't coming to Calvin. Coaching maybe? Maybe signs of instability in the program (i.e. a JV coach getting canned for no apparent reason after 2 successful seasons?)

wiz

Quote from: Knight2Day on December 06, 2012, 06:19:45 PM
http://highschoolsports.mlive.com/news/article/7274002289746813768/unity-christian-late-bloomer-signs-with-longtime-naia-basketball-power/

When Calvin can't land a good kid--in more ways than one--like this one, I just want to sit down and have a good cry. :'( The article mentions that he comes from an outstanding family which I suppose is true. If I knew Ryan's father I would give him a piece of my mind about how he would have been an even better father by exercising proper headship. >:(

Counselor, I think we can find a worthy deponent for you, and you don't have to travel all the way to the UP to depose him.

I wouldn't go calling anyone a bad father for not sending their kid to Calvin. There's probably more than meets the eye with why he isn't coming to Calvin. Coaching maybe? Maybe signs of instability in the program (i.e. a JV coach getting canned for no apparent reason after 2 successful seasons?)
Good cheer to one and all during this joyous Christmas season!

sac

Maybe Calvin came up short in the hype video department.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pshjI1F1yQ0

or maybe they can fill it......

I kid, I kid.

oldknight

Quote from: Knight2Day on December 06, 2012, 06:19:45 PM

Well that attempt at humor got lost in the translation. Actually, I know Ryan's dad quite well and he's an outstanding person. In fact, I plan to meet with him tomorrow. If he's reading the board tonight, I'm pretty sure he will start by teasing me and not let up. If I could give myself -k I guess I should do it but I suspect that job has already been taken care of.

knightvision

I caught the Calvin vs Cornerstone JV game tonight. Cornerstone prevailed in a pretty entertaining game 97-95.  On the bright side, Austin Parks, a FR combo guard from Niles, led Calvin with 26, including 8 3's, the majority of which were from NBA distance.  Great looking stroke, heady player, and solid defender.  Struggled some against ball pressure--will have to tighten that up if he's a future PG.  Eric Brower, a 6-7 FR  post from Unity Christian, also looked good.  He's not the most athletic post you'll see--but he posted well, finished around the basket with both hands, and was a fundamentally solid defender/rebounder. He is also an excellent passer--made great decisions on when to kick out to his teammates for some wide open 3's.  Jordan Daley, a 2/3, was at his best either slashing to the basket or posting up--gave Cornerstone trouble with some excellent post moves.  Has a ways to go defensively--could not stay in front of Luke Morrison, Cornerstone's most impressive freshman who led all scorers with 28.  The difference in the game was turnovers--Calvin's backcourt had a pile of turnovers that led to a slew of transition baskets/free throw opportunities for CU.   

sac

Just the one game tonight:

Covenant at Hope, 8pm

Covenant's from Lookout Mountain, Ga which is 650 miles away so of course this game is in-region.  They have 3 Michigan kids on their roster somehow.

Matt den Dulk, Sparta
Jon DeVries, Grand Rapids
Chris Boyd, Detroit

This is the extent of my knowledge of Covenant.

SBell

Quote from: knightvision on December 06, 2012, 10:03:42 PM
I caught the Calvin vs Cornerstone JV game tonight. Cornerstone prevailed in a pretty entertaining game 97-95.  On the bright side, Austin Parks, a FR combo guard from Niles, led Calvin with 26, including 8 3's, the majority of which were from NBA distance.  Great looking stroke, heady player, and solid defender.  Struggled some against ball pressure--will have to tighten that up if he's a future PG.  Eric Brower, a 6-7 FR  post from Unity Christian, also looked good.  He's not the most athletic post you'll see--but he posted well, finished around the basket with both hands, and was a fundamentally solid defender/rebounder. He is also an excellent passer--made great decisions on when to kick out to his teammates for some wide open 3's.  Jordan Daley, a 2/3, was at his best either slashing to the basket or posting up--gave Cornerstone trouble with some excellent post moves.  Has a ways to go defensively--could not stay in front of Luke Morrison, Cornerstone's most impressive freshman who led all scorers with 28.  The difference in the game was turnovers--Calvin's backcourt had a pile of turnovers that led to a slew of transition baskets/free throw opportunities for CU.   

Not the first nor last player who can't stay in front of Luke. He'll be a great player for Cornerstone, only problem is right now they have two transfers, Shane Moreland and Alex Lyle, who play very similar games but are three years older.

sac

Busy board these days....

Hope 87 Covenant 73

Hope led mostly all the way and coasted to the victory.  Covenant just couldn't defend without fouling in the second half and sent Hope to the line about a million times.  Otherwise this game reminded me an awful lot of the Westminster tournament game last spring.  Hope gets the win and you move on to tomorrow. 

Nice job by the Covenant coach to insert Sparta's Matt den Dulk into the lineup in the final seconds and work a play for him so his large contingent could give him a good cheer.  Covenant had more fans there than most MIAA teams will, makes me a little sad.

Hope plays Spring Arbor Saturday after they held on to beat Grace Bible by 6

SKOT

Quote from: sac on December 07, 2012, 02:47:12 PM
Covenant's from Lookout Mountain, Ga which is 650 miles away so of course this game is in-region. 

d3hoops doesnt list the game as in region.  Who Should we contact to make the correction?  Is there someone better than Mr. Coleman? 

Plus, how does one miss such an obviously in-region game like this one?  Michigan<->Georgia...they are practically neighbors!  AND, considering that Lookout Mountain is virtually in Tennessee, Hope and Covenant are really only 1 state apart.