FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hasanova

Quote from: Scots13 on April 21, 2015, 03:40:38 PM
Thinking out loud here:

I wonder what kind of support there would be for a Week 12 "Bowl Game" between the 2nd place USAC and ODAC teams?

May not be feasible due to the inter-conference play OOC and by the time the regular season ends, people are ready for basketball to start. Thoughts?

I admit to not thinking this out more than "it would be cool if..."
In some cases, it might be the second meeting of the season ...

Scots13

Quote from: hasanova on April 22, 2015, 02:55:48 PM
Thinking out loud here:

I wonder what kind of support there would be for a Week 12 "Bowl Game" between the 2nd place USAC and ODAC teams?

May not be feasible due to the inter-conference play OOC and by the time the regular season ends, people are ready for basketball to start. Thoughts?

I tried eluding to that.
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

wally_wabash

There was a discussion some time last season on one of these boards about the ECACs (probably similar discussions annually I would suppose).  Kind of a mixed bag of support for those non-NCAA week 12 games.  In the idyllic world, everybody wants to have one more game, especially seniors, even if it isn't a tournament game.  Just one more week to gird up and play the game.  In practice, it seems that you get differing levels of enthusiasm for those games.  Some teams are into it, some teams just aren't.  Tack on to that the logistics- who's paying for an ODAC/USAC exhibition game?  Week 12 is also usually adjacent to the Thanksgiving week- meaning that students at many schools are likely to be on break (official attendances of first round NCAA games generally bear this out...crowds are DOWN for those first round games at most places).  The point being that you're not playing the game for an atmosphere and the gate isn't going to pay for the cost of putting the game on.  Now, I'm not saying that more games is a bad thing- definitely not, especially for the seniors.  But here in D-III where more games mean more expenses and not more revenue, it's a tough sell.  Literally. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

hasanova

Quote from: Scots13 on April 22, 2015, 11:20:59 PM
Quote from: hasanova on April 22, 2015, 02:55:48 PM
Thinking out loud here:

I tried eluding to that.
Yeah, I see you did ... thanks.

hscathletics

Quote from: tigerfanalso on April 20, 2015, 04:43:08 PM
just need to keep the Ad's talking. I think take four years off and put Wabash back on the schedule for another home and away. If HSC would start charging for home games the gate receipts would cover the cost. I think it cost about $75K to get the HSC squad out to Wabash last year and the gate receipts would easily cover although I think it would take an act of congress to force HSC to actually charge for admission. Thats a real sticking point for me, why leave the $$$ on the table ?
We charge for parking, so that covers just about everyone but students/faculty/staff, and most places don't charge students to begin with, and not charging faculty/staff isn't exactly an uncommon practice at this level among the schools I am familiar with.

The money for parking goes to the Hampden-Sydney volunteer fire department, which was originally created following an incident with a dormitory catching fire and burning down many decades ago. Apparently the dorm was widely hated and the students wanted it gone, so they interfered with the Farmville fire department when they came to try to put the fire out. Farmville fire department declared they would no longer provide services to the campus, so we had to create a volunteer fire department. Now the parking money goes to help fund the Hampden-Sydney volunteer fire department.

jknezek

Quote from: hscathletics on April 24, 2015, 12:51:26 PM
The money for parking goes to the Hampden-Sydney volunteer fire department, which was originally created following an incident with a dormitory catching fire and burning down many decades ago. Apparently the dorm was widely hated and the students wanted it gone, so they interfered with the Farmville fire department when they came to try to put the fire out. Farmville fire department declared they would no longer provide services to the campus, so we had to create a volunteer fire department. So now the parking money goes to help fund the Hampden-Sydney volunteer fire department.

That is a fabulous story. Would never happen these days as the kids would fight for their electronics. Still, pretty funny.

hscathletics

Quote from: jknezek on April 24, 2015, 12:53:44 PM
The money for parking goes to the Hampden-Sydney volunteer fire department, which was originally created following an incident with a dormitory catching fire and burning down many decades ago. Apparently the dorm was widely hated and the students wanted it gone, so they interfered with the Farmville fire department when they came to try to put the fire out. Farmville fire department declared they would no longer provide services to the campus, so we had to create a volunteer fire department. So now the parking money goes to help fund the Hampden-Sydney volunteer fire department.

That is a fabulous story. Would never happen these days as the kids would fight for their electronics. Still, pretty funny.
And clothes. This Brooks Brothers, Peter Millar, etc. stuff isn't cheap!

hasanova

Quote from: hscathletics on April 24, 2015, 12:56:50 PM

I like the "clothes line" ... funny.  When I attended the GC at HSC game last fall, there was a fire truck on the track at one corner of the endzone ... does this belong to the HSC VFD?

hscathletics

Quote from: hasanova on April 25, 2015, 10:47:10 AM

I like the "clothes line" ... funny.  When I attended the GC at HSC game last fall, there was a fire truck on the track at one corner of the endzone ... does this belong to the HSC VFD?
Yes it does.

hasanova

Quote from: hscathletics on April 26, 2015, 07:54:35 PM

Yes it does.
Interesting story ... +1.  What year was the fire in question?

HSCTiger74

Quote from: hasanova on April 27, 2015, 01:55:32 PM

Yes it does.

I'm not trying to steal hscathletics' story, but if my memory hasn't gotten too faulty McIlwain Hall burned in 1957 or '58.
TANSTAAFL

hasanova

Quote from: HSCTiger74 on April 27, 2015, 05:28:21 PM
Quote from: hasanova on April 27, 2015, 01:55:32 PM

Yes it does.

I'm not trying to steal hscathletics' story, but if my memory hasn't gotten too faulty McIlwain Hall burned in 1957 or '58.
I'm pretty sure it's not an incident HSC would ever want to repeat, but what a great piece of history for the college.

hscathletics

hasanova