Rule and Policy Changes

Started by hopefan, June 24, 2015, 09:48:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOPEful

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on October 20, 2016, 04:46:41 PM
I decided to tackle something in Division III I don't think many understand or appreciate. As a result, my suggestions at changing preseason basketball in Division III: http://www.d3blogs.com/d3hoops/2016/10/20/time-to-change-preseason-basketball/

Really well written Dave! I have often thought it was strange that D3 holds many of the same rules/regulations as D1. If the primary goal and focus is to create meaningful student athlete experiences, it is hypocritical and/or asinine to regulate/withhold immediate access to the mentors/coaches who have the greatest ability to make a lasting positive impact. 
Let's go Dutchmen!

2015-2016 1-&-Done Tournament Fantasy League Co-Champion

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I should point out that many have reminded me that players can meet with coaches when talking about academics and the like as long as it isn't about basketball. While I agree that is allowed, I know many coaches who still are frustrated with the lack of contact as it still is restrictive and you have to be careful not to start talking about hoops. So, they can meet with players in the beginning, but being there and providing a full structured start can be frustrating for many coaches and students.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

7express

Quote from: 7express on November 11, 2015, 11:52:21 PM
I really hate the 4 quarters in the women's game and 1,000% agree with Dave in that blog he put together in May that I just found today.  I'd actually like it if the men went to it too (hey the NBA, Europe and every other international/high school competition is 4 quarters as well...) but hate it with just the women using is.  Dave mentioned something like this in the blog: assume you're a freshmen at college this year, and want to get into basketball.  Since most games in D-3 are double headers, you go to the women's game first and see they play four 10 minute quarters, and then the men's game starts and to your utter surprise you see them play two 20 minute halves, and you're wondering to yourself "with a few slight changes [now mainly the size of the ball the biggest difference]) both men & women play the same game with the same rules, how can the game length be completely different between the gender leagues??"  Incredibly stupid!

This is mainly for division 1 only, and for division 3 only a select few teams, but the 30 second shot clock gives a huge advantage to the power teams, with athletes that can run up and down the court.  The Western Connecticut team from 4 years ago with DaQuan Brooks I think could've done pretty well in this new format, but can't see many d-3 teams, maybe Amherst, and some Midwest/West teams; For division 1 see Duke, Kentucky, etc), but overall I like it.

I said this on another board but adding an extra foul would be another moronic move by Indianapolis and I'm really hoping this doesn't go through next year.  Like the 30 second shot clock that gives another huge advantage to top tier teams with a lot of depth at forward & center and it still doesn't solve the problem by playing defense without fouling which most of these 4 & 5 guys in college can't do, so your going to reward them by giving them an EXTRA foul now??  If anything they should REDUCE the number of fouls from 5 to 4, actually make these guys play defense.

Looking back at my extremely idiotic post from last November I actually came around to the four 10 minute quarters in the women's game, and really, really wish the men would adopt this format in the coming years.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: 7express on October 25, 2016, 04:12:15 PM
Quote from: 7express on November 11, 2015, 11:52:21 PM
I really hate the 4 quarters in the women's game and 1,000% agree with Dave in that blog he put together in May that I just found today.  I'd actually like it if the men went to it too (hey the NBA, Europe and every other international/high school competition is 4 quarters as well...) but hate it with just the women using is.  Dave mentioned something like this in the blog: assume you're a freshmen at college this year, and want to get into basketball.  Since most games in D-3 are double headers, you go to the women's game first and see they play four 10 minute quarters, and then the men's game starts and to your utter surprise you see them play two 20 minute halves, and you're wondering to yourself "with a few slight changes [now mainly the size of the ball the biggest difference]) both men & women play the same game with the same rules, how can the game length be completely different between the gender leagues??"  Incredibly stupid!

This is mainly for division 1 only, and for division 3 only a select few teams, but the 30 second shot clock gives a huge advantage to the power teams, with athletes that can run up and down the court.  The Western Connecticut team from 4 years ago with DaQuan Brooks I think could've done pretty well in this new format, but can't see many d-3 teams, maybe Amherst, and some Midwest/West teams; For division 1 see Duke, Kentucky, etc), but overall I like it.

I said this on another board but adding an extra foul would be another moronic move by Indianapolis and I'm really hoping this doesn't go through next year.  Like the 30 second shot clock that gives another huge advantage to top tier teams with a lot of depth at forward & center and it still doesn't solve the problem by playing defense without fouling which most of these 4 & 5 guys in college can't do, so your going to reward them by giving them an EXTRA foul now??  If anything they should REDUCE the number of fouls from 5 to 4, actually make these guys play defense.

Looking back at my extremely idiotic post from last November I actually came around to the four 10 minute quarters in the women's game, and really, really wish the men would adopt this format in the coming years.

Don't be surprised if they do. I know the men have considered it, but the women surprised them. They wanted to research it a bit more before adopting it and the women just went ahead and jumped to it. However, in conversations I have had with those who would be involved, I think this is absolutely on the table for the next rules cycle which would be now ahead of next year's season.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Men announced their new rules (tweeks) today: http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/men-s-basketball-coach-s-box-grows-10-feet

I am disappointed to not see quarters and some other items. Otherwise, most of this is ho-hum - though, I am glad they are clarifying the screens (which I wish was either taught correctly or called more often; they are calling it a lot to my pleasure).

Women came out yesterday: http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/men-s-basketball-coach-s-box-grows-10-feet

I am not thrilled with their moves, necessarily.

For both... I hate the larger coach boxes. I don't think anyone is considering game operations here.

Just Bill

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on June 15, 2017, 02:12:11 PM
Men announced their new rules (tweeks) today: http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/men-s-basketball-coach-s-box-grows-10-feet

I am disappointed to not see quarters and some other items. Otherwise, most of this is ho-hum - though, I am glad they are clarifying the screens (which I wish was either taught correctly or called more often; they are calling it a lot to my pleasure).

Women came out yesterday: http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/men-s-basketball-coach-s-box-grows-10-feet

I am not thrilled with their moves, necessarily.

For both... I hate the larger coach boxes. I don't think anyone is considering game operations here.

Dave, you linked the men's rules twice on this post.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

lmitzel

Here's the link to the women's one.

I, for one, am saddened that unused first half timeouts in the women's game will no longer be donated to charity.
Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Sorry about that - apparently I wasn't paying attention.

I am disappointed about the lack of losing a timeout at half time as well.

I am also disappointed the men didn't go to quarters and the 20-second reset on a foul (versus 15-sec reset on a kick ball) is beyond annoying. There are some others that just make me shake my head as well.

Flying Dutch Fan

So I'm wondering if the extended coaches box will diminish the number of coaches who step out of the box.  My experience has been that many coaches were already extending the box by a few feet.  Will they now do the same, and actually start crossing half court (is this like raising the speed limit, which just means most drivers now go the new limit + 5 or 10mph more)?  Are the officials going to monitor it more closely? 
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Yeah - this is my problem with this rule. They were already five feet (from what I usually see) out of the box. Allowing that now would basically put coaches a step away from the midcourt line. That's ridiculous.

Now in the rule change, it is stressed that officials must enforce the box more aggressively. This is going to go one of two ways: they will enforce, hand out warnings, and even give techs to coaches who aren't abiding; the refs warn and warn and warn, the coaches ignore and keep pushing and eventually the refs look the other way unless it is egregious - aka what we have been dealing with for years.

Either way, I think this is a major problem for game operations. Those running the scoreboard, clock(s), official book, announcer, and live stats crew (even broadcasters) are going to be affected because line of sight is going to be affected. Refs are going to have to take extra time to convey info and much more. I know that an SID who apparently was on the committee (or support committee) voted against this for these very reasons. It wasn't enough. Many rules are put in place with no clue how they affect the game in other ways. Sadly, I wish coaches just dealt with the box they had and moved on. We don't need a bigger box.

Flying Dutch Fan

I'm in complete agreement Dave, and I wish they had simply made it a point of emphasis to enforce the existing rule.
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on June 20, 2017, 04:54:01 PM
I'm in complete agreement Dave, and I wish they had simply made it a point of emphasis to enforce the existing rule.

I can't wait for fans and others to complain that refs are too distracted with the coaches out of their boxes and too many techs and warnings are being handed out. You know, like when they don't understand hand-checking, illegal screens, and whatnot are being emphasized and that if the coaches and teams would simply adjust to how the refs are being asked to call the game... there wouldn't be as many whistles. Too easy to blame the refs without understanding why the whistle is being blown in the first place.

Of course, people also don't bother to pay attention to the fact that the coaches... THE COACHES... are the ones who ask for an basically approve these rule changes. Everyone just thinks the "NCAA" does ... but I am stepping up on a soap box, so before I go too far... I will step off and go back to the rest of my day. LOL

hopefan

The current posted Louisiana College schedule has 23 regular season games and 4 exhibition games (3 of them before the 11/15 regular season tipoff date).

Has something in the rules changed, or has Louisiana College just goofed up somehow?  2 exhibitions has always been the max.   Note, I have already placed virtually every other D3 schedule in my spreadsheet (there are still about 15 schedules not yet posted), and no other school shows more than 2 exhibitions.
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

Just Bill

Quote from: hopefan on October 04, 2017, 04:15:53 PM
The current posted Louisiana College schedule has 23 regular season games and 4 exhibition games (3 of them before the 11/15 regular season tipoff date).

Has something in the rules changed, or has Louisiana College just goofed up somehow?  2 exhibitions has always been the max.   Note, I have already placed virtually every other D3 schedule in my spreadsheet (there are still about 15 schedules not yet posted), and no other school shows more than 2 exhibitions.

I saw this pop up in soccer too. There are a few schools who believe, or who claim they received an interpretation from the NCAA, that they could essentially "sacrifice" regular season games to play more than 2 exhibitions. So essentially, as long as they don't exceed 25 counting contests and 27 total contests, they are compliant.

From my understanding this not a correct interpretation, but I can't possibly know what conversations they've had with the conference or the NCAA. I believe you get 2 exhibitions/scrimmages against outside competition no matter what. I thought that was the new cleaner legislation.

Here's the soccer example that sparked my curiosity in the fall: http://www.dustars.com/schedule.aspx?path=Msoc
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Just Bill on October 04, 2017, 04:38:25 PM
Quote from: hopefan on October 04, 2017, 04:15:53 PM

I saw this pop up in soccer too. There are a few schools who believe, or who claim they received an interpretation from the NCAA, that they could essentially "sacrifice" regular season games to play more than 2 exhibitions. So essentially, as long as they don't exceed 25 counting contests and 27 total contests, they are compliant.

From my understanding this not a correct interpretation, but I can't possibly know what conversations they've had with the conference or the NCAA. I believe you get 2 exhibitions/scrimmages against outside competition no matter what. I thought that was the new cleaner legislation.

Here's the soccer example that sparked my curiosity in the fall: http://www.dustars.com/schedule.aspx?path=Msoc

I was under the impression the change made this offseason was to prevent exhibitions and scrimmages after the season starts - but, I do believe, it was accepted (even if discouraged) before this year.  It's entirely possible that scheduling personnel at some schools aren't aware of changes or completely up on all the rules.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere