BB: WIAC: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by BDB, December 30, 2005, 09:19:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

janesvilleflash

We'll see tomorrow. Suposed to be a nice day too.
If you can't ignore an insult, top it; if you can't top it, laugh it off; and if you can't laugh it off, it's probably deserved.

Just Bill

I wouldn't call it National Title hangover.  I think it's safe to say that they're simply not the same team, and don't have the same talent.  I think it's going to be mid-season before you see them really find their identity.

Compare 2006 Whitewater Baseball to the 2005-06 Stevens Point Men's Basketball team.  Defending national champs, but lost the main players.  Struggled early, expecially in non-conference games while they were trying to get it together.  But, by mid-season, were playing very well, finished a strong third place and became a dangerous postseason team.  I could see Warhawk baseball following the same trend this year.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

cubs

Quote from: Just Bill on April 04, 2006, 10:43:08 AM
UW-Oshkosh 22, UW-Superior 0 (7 innings)
UW-Oshkosh 12, UW-Superior 2 (7 innings)
UW-Oshkosh 10, UW-Superior 1
Not being knit-picky, but you forget the 22-1 finale on Monday. ;)
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

REDMENFAN

I know oshkosh is a solid ball club, but those 4 scores are just sick. Talk about helping out team ERA, batting average, runs scored per game... etc. I'm assuming Superior is the worst team in the conference, BY FAR

cubs

Quote from: Just Bill on April 04, 2006, 12:44:30 PM
I could see Warhawk baseball following the same trend this year.
I have a feeling that might not happen for one simple reason...... PITCHING.  This is probably the weakest staff Whitewater has had in the last 5 years.  At the same time, the WIAC overall pitching is pretty weak this year.  You don't really see many guys out there who are just going to stuff it down your throat like you have seen in the last 10 years.  Gone are the days of Chris Simonson, Craig Glysch, Brady Endl, Andy Kimball, Andy Elskamp, etc.. (just to name a few.)  The closest thing you have this year is Jordan Zimmerman, Matt Zurbriggen and possibly Cal Stanke.  I have a feeling there won't be too many 3-2 or 4-3 games no matter what teams are playing.  

Maybe I am wrong, but this sure looks to be a high-scoring confernece season, which doesn't bode well for much WIAC post-season success this year.

cubs

Quote from: REDMENFAN on April 04, 2006, 01:41:31 PM
I know oshkosh is a solid ball club, but those 4 scores are just sick. Talk about helping out team ERA, batting average, runs scored per game... etc. I'm assuming Superior is the worst team in the conference, BY FAR
Probably, but they did split a DH with CCIW's North Central, winning 2-1 and losing 5-4.  Where would you put North Central in terms of the CCIW?

Just Bill

Quote from: cubs on April 04, 2006, 01:39:18 PM
Quote from: Just Bill on April 04, 2006, 10:43:08 AM
UW-Oshkosh 22, UW-Superior 0 (7 innings)
UW-Oshkosh 12, UW-Superior 2 (7 innings)
UW-Oshkosh 10, UW-Superior 1
Not being knit-picky, but you forget the 22-1 finale on Monday. ;)
Thanks for the catch.  I added it.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

BigPoppa

Quote from: cubs on April 04, 2006, 01:56:23 PM
Quote from: REDMENFAN on April 04, 2006, 01:41:31 PM
Probably, but they did split a DH with CCIW's North Central, winning 2-1 and losing 5-4.  Where would you put North Central in terms of the CCIW?

North Central will finish in the middle to bottom of the CCIW this year...only an outside shot at the conference tourney. It is always tough to compare teams based on common opponents though.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

REDMENFAN

NC is currently 4-11 and 0-3 in conference after getting swept by carthage. I would guess they'll finish this year in  6th or 7th out of the 8 teams. North Park has always been in last and they swept their first 3 game series in conference in 8 years over millikin, so North Central should finish ahead of Millikin and possibly North Park

badgerwarhawk

The league has gone 30-43 in nonconfernce play so far. 

I'm not sure anyone is all that good this year. 
"Just think twice is my only advice."

cubs

Quote from: badgerwarhawk on April 04, 2006, 10:39:11 PM

I assume that means you are agreeing with what I said earlier, that the WIAC will struggle in post-season play this season.........

BigPoppa

I would never count a WIAC team out in the postseason. The conference season certainly toughens the top few teams up for the postseason.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

badgerwarhawk

Quote from: cubs on April 05, 2006, 09:52:55 AM
Quote from: badgerwarhawk on April 04, 2006, 10:39:11 PM

I assume that means you are agreeing with what I said earlier, that the WIAC will struggle in post-season play this season.........

I would say that if the post season were played now, yes, they'd struggle. Fortunately it's not. 

WARHAWKS[/color] split with Oshkosh.  WHITEWATER[/color] blows two, one run leads in game one and Oshkosh pounds the heck out of the relief staff for a 10-4 win.  Game two is the opposite.  WARHAWKS[/color] jump on top 3-0.  Titan get back to within a run but WHITEWATER[/color] has a six run inning, the pitching holds up and they hang a 13-4 loss on Oshkosh.
"Just think twice is my only advice."

Mr. Downtown

First, Superior would have a hard time winning the WIAA Championship, little lone the WIAC.

Second, I agree with BadgerWarhawk, I dunno know if anyone is really that good right now. This Oshkosh team is not better then last year's bunch, and that team finished 14-10. They are above average offensively, they have pretty decent pitching, but they are not a good fielding team whatsoever.

Splitting with Whitewater is good for them, and there chances of winning conference. But in all reality, I think everyone has a good shot in the first 6 WIAC games, if 4 of them are against Superior...

cubs

Quote from: Mr. Downtown on April 05, 2006, 10:22:41 PM
This Oshkosh team is not better then last year's bunch, and that team finished 14-10. They are above average offensively, they have pretty decent pitching, but they are not a good fielding team whatsoever.
However, I believe this team has the potential to be better than last years.  When you are starting 5 or 6 freshmen sometimes, there is a good chance they are going to improve as the season goes on.  Outside of Jirschele and Yost, you didn't have anyone finish with a BA over .300 last season.  There is a reason there are a lot of new faces around Oshkosh this year.  Chances are you won't see two regular starters not playing in the Conference Tournament this season (assuming they qualify) like you did last year (Perdomo and Balcoa.) 

As far as "decent" pitching, Ziegler is about the only guy that has shown much.  Their staff isn't very deep, and it still remains to be seen what type of affect Stanke is going to have.  If you call that "decent" I would hate to see what you consider a "strong" staff.