BB: WIAC: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by BDB, December 30, 2005, 09:19:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Bill

Nice little photo gallery from the WIAC Tournament courtesy of the Stevens Point Journal.  As you can guess it fetures Point the most, but includes shots of every team:

http://www.stevenspointjournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=U0&Dato=20070513&Kategori=SPJNEWS&Lopenr=705130804&Ref=PH
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

Just Bill

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

OshDude

Anyone else think the two best teams are playing in the first round of the Midwest Regional? St. Thomas and Oshkosh deserved better, IMO. I admit Point deserves the No. 1 or 2 seed, but I think Oshkosh is a better team.

Seeds 3-5 are not what I thought they would be. Why did Ripon have to sweep Point earlier in the season? That screwed everything up. Ripon is not a No. 3 seed, but I understand why they are.

My seeds would be:
1. St. Thomas
2. Stevens Point
3. Oshkosh
4. Ripon
5. St. Olaf
6. St. Scholastica

The winner of St. Thomas/Oshkosh will play in Grand Chute. I'll go with my heart and pick Oshkosh over Point in the championship.

Any other predictions?

BaseballFan

I agree probably St. Thomas and Oshkosh are the two best teams and the winner of that could be going to Appleton. But dont count out the winner of the Stevens Point/Scholastica matchup because the winner of that game gets the loser of Ripon and Olaf so whoever wins between Point and Scholastica could be looking pretty.

Just Bill

John Gleich

Point leading 3-1 after 3 innings.  One run per inning for Point, two of those were unearned due to three St. S errors.
UWSP Men's Basketball

National Champions: 2015, 2010, 2005, 2004

NCAA appearances: 2018, '15, '14, '13, '12, '11, '10, '09, '08, '07, '05, '04, '03, '00, 1997

WIAC/WSUC Champs: 2015, '14, '13, '11, '09, '07, '05, '03, '02, '01, '00, 1993, '92, '87, '86, '85, '84, '83, '82, '69, '61, '57, '48, '42, '37, '36, '35, '33, '18

Twitter: @JohnGleich

OshDude

The all-WIAC team is posted. I don't agree with the Pitcher and Position Players of the Year, but I can see why Jordan Zimmerman and Seth Maier were selected. They are both really good, but as far as the best in 2007, I have my doubts.

Flip a coin between Zimmerman and Brian Gerl from Oshkosh for Pitcher of the Year. I'll give them that one. In fact, I'm probably in the minority in thinking Gerl was the Pitcher of the Year.

Although I really respect Maier's abilities (he's probably my favorite WIAC hitter to watch), he simply was not the best player in 2007. He'd be my fourth choice after Brad Demmin from Oshkosh, Ross Bennett from Platteville and Whitewater's Jordan Stine. Just going by numbers, Maier's teammate Erik Johnson had the better 2007.

Overall, I think the team looks good. My team and the actual team had one difference -- La Crosse's Andy Podmolik got a lifetime achivement nod instead of the more deserving 2007 performance of Point's Brandon Scheidler. I'm OK with that. If anyone deserves it, it's Podmolik.

http://www.uwsa.edu/wiac/baseball/07allcon.htm

cubs

Point 3
CSS 3   Bottom of 7th

-Zimmerman has been a victim of the long ball, giving up 2 HR's, which have accounted for all of CSS's runs.  He does however have 9 K's and 0 BB's in 7 IP.

-Point was able to chase CSS's #1 Moriarity, after only 5 IP.  It will be interesting to see if they can get something going against their bullpen.
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

Just Bill

Quote from: cubs on May 16, 2007, 02:47:05 PM
-Point was able to chase CSS's #1 Moriarity, after only 5 IP.  It will be interesting to see if they can get something going against their bullpen.

Short answer:  Yes they can.

Point puts up six in the bottom of the 7th to take a 9-3 lead.  Zimmerman homered to start the inning, and the Pointers scored 5 more times on just 1 more hit, 2 CSS errors, a HBP and 2 wild pitches.  CSS really killing themselves with 5 errors and 7 unearned runs.

Zimmerman cruising along with 11 K's and no walks.  The two HR's are the only blemishes on an otherwise great outing.

Just Bill

Point tacks on two more unearned runs in the eighth.  Now lead 11-3.  Good to see Point winning, but who could have imagined CSS committing six errors.  That won't help them overcome their conference's weak reputation.

UPDATE:  Game is now final - UWSP 11, CSS 3

http://www.uwsp.edu/athletics/baseball/NCAAregional07/ncaa1.htm

cubs

Ripon jumps on Point and Mike Thurn early scoring four runs in the Top of the 1st inning to get out to an early 4-0 lead.  Bo Johnson provided the big blow with a 3-run HR. 

It will be interesting to see how long Coach Bloom stays with Thurn in this elimination game.

cubs

Point returns the favor, and scores three in their half of the first on HR's by Schlosser and Evanoff to make it 4-3.  Point actually had the bases loaded, however Hojnacki hit into a fielders choice to end the inning.

I wounder if this will be one of those 15-12 type elimination games??

cubs

Ripon tacks on three more in the 2nd, coming on 3 RBI singles to chase Zurn.  (Zielke gets the final out of the inning.)  Schlosser hits his 2nd HR of the day in the bottom of the 2nd, to make it 7-4 Ripon.

BigPoppa

WOW!!!! Sounds like a slow-pitch softball game broke out in Wisconsin Rapids.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

cubs

Quote from: BigPoppa on May 18, 2007, 01:56:11 PM
WOW!!!! Sounds like a slow-pitch softball game broke out in Wisconsin Rapids.
Ain't that the truth!!!  To add to that, Ripon 1B Bo Johnson was ejected for "elbowing" UWSP 1B Adam Evanoff after grounding out to him to end the 2nd inning.

Score is now 8-4 Ripon, after Catcher John Dunlavy's HR in the 4th for Ripon.