BB: WIAC: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by BDB, December 30, 2005, 09:19:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cubs

Quote from: BaseballFan on March 30, 2008, 09:10:08 PM
UWOs hitting besides a few guys hasnt been doing much and their pitching besides top 3 hasnt been impressive.
Everyone knew that outside of Reubens, Demmin, and Hendricks that UWO didn't have much pitching.  This is why you saw position players like Kannenberg and Wetenkamp take the mound at the Metrodome.  Very seldom do you see guys at UWO both pitch and hit.  The last one I can think of who consistently did it was Craig Glysch back in the late 90's.  As far as their hitters, I think you will see them come around.  Guys like Jason Fosler, Mike Waupoose, and Pete Berg are too good of hitters to stay down for too long.  UWO is really missing Mickey Fadness more than I thought they would at this time.....

Quote from: BaseballFan on March 30, 2008, 09:10:08 PMWas the STP/LAX game prematurely cancelled CUBS or was the weather bad? Surprised to see Plateville take 3 from Stout
The pair of DH's were originally scheduled to take place AT Stevens Point.  Since Point's field wasn't going to be ready for Saturday's DH, they agreed to move it to La Crosse, and rescheduled Sunday's DH for Wednesday at Point.  My guess is that Point didn't want to give up four home games, and I guess I can't really blame them, especially when their line-up is built for the softball diamond they play on.
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

szlongball

Quote from: cubs on March 30, 2008, 09:59:03 PM
Quote from: BaseballFan on March 30, 2008, 09:10:08 PM
UWOs hitting besides a few guys hasnt been doing much and their pitching besides top 3 hasnt been impressive.
Everyone knew that outside of Reubens, Demmin, and Hendricks that UWO didn't have much pitching.  This is why you saw position players like Kannenberg and Wetenkamp take the mound at the Metrodome.  Very seldom do you see guys at UWO both pitch and hit.  The last one I can think of who consistently did it was Craig Glysch back in the late 90's.  As far as their hitters, I think you will see them come around.  Guys like Jason Fosler, Mike Waupoose, and Pete Berg are too good of hitters to stay down for too long.  UWO is really missing Mickey Fadness more than I thought they would at this time.....

Quote from: BaseballFan on March 30, 2008, 09:10:08 PMWas the STP/LAX game prematurely cancelled CUBS or was the weather bad? Surprised to see Plateville take 3 from Stout
The pair of DH's were originally scheduled to take place AT Stevens Point.  Since Point's field wasn't going to be ready for Saturday's DH, they agreed to move it to La Crosse, and rescheduled Sunday's DH for Wednesday at Point.  My guess is that Point didn't want to give up four home games, and I guess I can't really blame them, especially when their line-up is built for the softball diamond they play on.
If Point plays on a softball diamond, what does that say about LAX field? If games can't be played on Apr. 2nd, they will be played on Apr.30th.

OshDude

Cubs, did you go to the games today? I couldn't. I'd like to hear what people had to say about Superior's pitching.

Slinger, what's your take on Oshkosh? How does UWO stack up against the rest of your opponents? Wouldn't imagine that the Titans wowed you. They didn't look like a Top 25 team on Saturday let alone the No. 7 team.

Looks like the UWO lineup produced from top to bottom in Game 1, then got dominated again in Game 2. I hope the UWO bats warm with the weather.

BaseballFan

Quote from: szlongball on March 30, 2008, 10:31:17 PM
to stay down for too long.  UWO is really missing Mickey Fadness more than I thought they would at this time.....

If Point plays on a softball diamond, what does that say about LAX field? If games can't be played on Apr. 2nd, they will be played on Apr.30th.

Lets face it the majority of Wisconsin fields are pretty rinky dink

cubs

Quote from: szlongball on March 30, 2008, 10:31:17 PM
If Point plays on a softball diamond, what does that say about LAX field?
Unless things have changed in the recent past, it was always tougher to hit a ball out at La Crosse than at Point.  I will say this, if Point/LAX get their DH in on Wednesday, there will be more than the 3 HR's that were hit on Saturday in two games at La Crosse.

For the sake of comparison, there were ZERO HR's hit in four games at Oshkosh this weekend, and TWO at Platteville.

cubs

Quote from: OshDude on March 30, 2008, 10:31:41 PM
Cubs, did you go to the games today?
Nope....  Wasn't able to make it.  Unfortunately it doens't look too promising to make any games this season, unless I call in sick for one of the two Point DH's.

cubs

Quote from: BaseballFan on March 30, 2008, 10:42:11 PM
I know you said the majority, but UWO's Tiedemann Field is not what I would call "hitter friendly."  When you add in the recently added "double-decker fences" (I believe they are either 14 feet high) to the distances below, it definitely is a pitchers park.  It makes the numbers that Jorgenson and Lieder put up in 1995 even more impressive.  While it may be "short" right down the lines, it jets out pretty quick by the time you get to the gaps.

LF-330 Feet
LCF-370 Feet
CF-403 Feet
RCF-365 Feet
RF-325 Feet

Slinger45

Nate Hedley was a surpirse pick to start game 2 but did a very good job, his era may be listed as 4.6 whatever but from playing with him last year it was actually in the mid 2's...our stats person at Mesabi wasnt the greatest.  He has ability, his shoulder has prevented him from getting work on the mound this year...he certainly sacked up today and did a great job.

From talking to Justin it sounded like he didnt have very good command today which led to his poor outing. Im sure hell rebound next weekend.

Slinger45

Quote from: OshDude on March 30, 2008, 10:31:41 PM
Cubs, did you go to the games today? I couldn't. I'd like to hear what people had to say about Superior's pitching.

Slinger, what's your take on Oshkosh? How does UWO stack up against the rest of your opponents? Wouldn't imagine that the Titans wowed you. They didn't look like a Top 25 team on Saturday let alone the No. 7 team.

Looks like the UWO lineup produced from top to bottom in Game 1, then got dominated again in Game 2. I hope the UWO bats warm with the weather.

Youre right I wasnt impressed with their bats really, they did do a good job defensively, not giving anything away certainly helped with the close games this weekend.  The best hitting team that weve played against so far this year would probably be Bethany Lutheran, other than that UWO had the best pitching...etc, but we havent faced much top level competition. 

Cant really compare UWO to the rest of the WIAC, because even though im from Soup, these were the first WIAC games Ive ever gone to. 

Bronko7

Nice win for UWS. To go into Oshkosh and get one is a great accomplishment for a program on the rise. Congrats. I am convinced that UWO will be at the top of the mountain when it's all said and done. That is a very talented young lineup that wont stay in a slump long. Their pitching is young, but the top four are as good as any in the league. The WIAC wont have a lot of weekend sweeps as in the past, because the depth in the rotations is not there. Plenty of good young arms yet to get into form and show what they are going to mean down the stretch.
I do have a question though. What is going on with Nix at Point. He was suppose to be dominant arm in the WIAC this year. But his outings have been less than spectacular, is he healthy?

BaseballFan

Quote from: cubs on March 30, 2008, 11:08:20 PM
Quote from: BaseballFan on March 30, 2008, 10:42:11 PM
I know you said the majority, but UWO's Tiedemann Field is not what I would call "hitter friendly."  When you add in the recently added "double-decker fences" (I believe they are either 14 feet high) to the distances below, it definitely is a pitchers park.  It makes the numbers that Jorgenson and Lieder put up in 1995 even more impressive.  While it may be "short" right down the lines, it jets out pretty quick by the time you get to the gaps.

LF-330 Feet
LCF-370 Feet
CF-403 Feet
RCF-365 Feet
RF-325 Feet

When I said most, I had one exception in mind and that was Oshkosh's field

szlongball

Quote from: BRONKO7 on March 31, 2008, 11:38:12 AM
Nice win for UWS. To go into Oshkosh and get one is a great accomplishment for a program on the rise. Congrats. I am convinced that UWO will be at the top of the mountain when it's all said and done. That is a very talented young lineup that wont stay in a slump long. Their pitching is young, but the top four are as good as any in the league. The WIAC wont have a lot of weekend sweeps as in the past, because the depth in the rotations is not there. Plenty of good young arms yet to get into form and show what they are going to mean down the stretch.
I do have a question though. What is going on with Nix at Point. He was suppose to be dominant arm in the WIAC this year. But his outings have been less than spectacular, is he healthy?
To the best of my knowledge, Nix is healthy. Has a history of not being able to go long into games. Nice to be able to throw in the 90's, but you still need to have control. Don't expect him to remain the ace of the staff much longer. Watched him over the summer in Eau Claire, managed to put up decent numbers, but not as consistant as Zielke was.
Side note, rumour is Hemstead will not pitch this year. The type of surgery he had in November will require a lot more healing time than a few months. Sucks, but he should come back next season even better.

szlongball

Article in Stevens Point Journal says that Travis Kempf is the ace for the Pointers. Not sure where Nix will be in the rotation.
Also nice to see Platteville got 2 votes for the recent poll. That makes 4 teams either in the top 25 or receiving votes. I think there will be much more balance this year in the WIAC and no team will run away with the title.

szlongball

Update on the Hemi situation. Should have checked more into the RUMOUR.
My fault for not checking. Just bringing him along slowly. Will pitch at some point soon.

Bronko7

Quote from: szlongball on April 01, 2008, 10:54:51 PM
Update on the Hemi situation. Should have checked more into the RUMOUR.
My fault for not checking. Just bringing him along slowly. Will pitch at some point soon.
That is good for USP, who ever can bring the most pitching to the conference tourney will go far, even though the ERA's might go through the rough at Wisconsin Rapids. Still excited to see who is going to take control of the 4 spot as the season progresses.