MBB: Centennial Conference

Started by swish, March 01, 2005, 04:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Centennial has called off winter competition and tournaments (along with fall)... but schools have the autonomy to schedule their own games if they want (though, the press release falls WELL short of actually saying that): https://centennial.prestosports.com/sports/general/2020-21/fall-winter_statement
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Swat Fan #1

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Swat Fan #1 on January 17, 2021, 10:09:02 PM
Is he done playing hoop?

For this "season," yes. No chance.

But I get the sense he will be back for his final season at JHU.

D.B. Cooper

In news for an outstanding former F&M All American player, Chris Finch has now reached his longtime goal.

About 2 weeks ago he became the new Head coach of the NBAs Minnesota Timberwolves. I wish him well. It was a long journey through UKs National team , European leagues, the NBAs D-League as head coach, Assistant or bench coaches for at least 3 NBA teams, particularly with the Houston Rockets to land the top spot in Minnesota.

He played for some of the best Dip teams ever until he graduated in 1992. I saw his team play in my only trip as spectator to D3 Final 4 in 1991. Although they lost a hard fought game to a bigger, deeper Wisc-Platteville team coached by Bo Ryan (also a D3 grad from Wilkes) it was still exhilarating for me. My more positive memory was F&M then considered a sold underdog in Semis against Ramapo. But the Dips did 2 amazing things, 1st had a 26-0 run to get control of of game and then rolled to a 52 point win, which was and may still be a FF record for margin of victory.

In any case an honor well deserved for a D3 player who worked his way through the hoops ranks to be an NBA head coach.

ronk

Quote from: D.B. Cooper on March 08, 2021, 02:44:51 PM
In news for an outstanding former F&M All American player, Chris Finch has now reached his longtime goal.

About 2 weeks ago he became the new Head coach of the NBAs Minnesota Timberwolves. I wish him well. It was a long journey through UKs National team , European leagues, the NBAs D-League as head coach, Assistant or bench coaches for at least 3 NBA teams, particularly with the Houston Rockets to land the top spot in Minnesota.

He played for some of the best Dip teams ever until he graduated in 1992. I saw his team play in my only trip as spectator to D3 Final 4 in 1991. Although they lost a hard fought game to a bigger, deeper Wisc-Platteville team coached by Bo Ryan (also a D3 grad from Wilkes) it was still exhilarating for me. My more positive memory was F&M then considered a sold underdog in Semis against Ramapo. But the Dips did 2 amazing things, 1st had a 26-0 run to get control of of game and then rolled to a 52 point win, which was and may still be a FF record for margin of victory.

In any case an honor well deserved for a D3 player who worked his way through the hoops ranks to be an NBA head coach.

How did that happen in a FF semi?

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: ronk on March 08, 2021, 03:00:25 PM
Quote from: D.B. Cooper on March 08, 2021, 02:44:51 PM

How did that happen in a FF semi?

It was actually a 53-point win.  109-56.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Reserved Seat

How many D3 colleges have graduate programs?  Does having a grad program give some colleges an advantage when it comes to retaining players in any sport?  For example a student who graduates from a college having no grad program, their career is done at that school.  However a student who graduates from a college with a grad problem can continue to play as a grad if they have an eligibility left.

Gabriel

Reserved Seat, Welcome back! I missed your always thoughtful input. Liked your question on post grad eligibility for D3 sports.  Narrowing it down to just the CC, I have not researched it yet but I do know that JHU and Dickinson have PG programs and Ursinus does not. What about the other schools?

Stretch4

JHU is only CC school with true grad programs, so definite advantage for them within conference. Dickinson has one Grad program in disaster management (new this year) and the DC/PSU Law School.  There are little to no grad student athletes at Dickinson.  I believe Muhlenberg and McDaniel have a very limited set of grad programs as well.  But like DC, you don't see grad student athletes at these schools.  In regards to men's hoops in CC, what you see following the covid year are pockets of student athletes on select teams who took a gap year or gap semester to gain back their missed year of hoops.  In the case of Swarthmore, who has national championship aspirations, they took a different route of having nearly the entire roster take a gap year/semester, full time internships, etc. and not lose anyone who would have graduated in 2021 and have all other key players retain their class status from 20-21 year.

Gabriel

Stretch4, Thanks for your input. About what I expected.

Swat Fan #1

I was going to respond regarding Swarthmore, but the above comment did an excellent job. I was shocked looking at this year's roster that everyone is back and took a gap year off. From what I've heard, they also have an excellent incoming class of recruits to add to their top three scorers returning. Glad to be back chatting about hoop as it has been a long time. Cheers y'all!

McBuckets

I had to look that up re: Swat returning top 3 scorers.  No doubt a much different looking team but still very skilled and experienced.  I don't believe all CC teams have releases rosters and am curious what the JHU squad will look like.  You would think they will be the pre-season conference favorite.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I went to the Swat scrimmage with WilmingtonU in Delaware yesterday.  The team is still deep and relentless as ever.  They played 11 in the "regular" session - clearly Landry has 10 guys he's very comfortable starting.  The freshman, Mulvey, was very impressive.  He had a lot of confidence on both sides of the floor and looked a lot like Deangelo.  There's going to be a big learning curve for the bigs - the half court offense seemed to bog down a bit - guys not quite knowing where to go or where to look, but they still scored almost 90 in 40 minutes.  Plenty of time to get things right.  They're definitely throwing some new wrinkles out - I suspect they'll have the ability to change tactics more dramatically this year, depending on opponent.

It's just hard playing a team that throw full line changes at you the entire game without giving up any performance.  Few teams can hang with that kind of pace and pressure for 40 minutes.  The Swat-JHU matchups should be fantastic.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

McBuckets

Ryan, I agree 90 points against a D2 squad this early in year is pretty impressive!  To your point, a lot of teams will be carrying extra guys but how comfortable will the coach be in playing them or, at a minimum, running the risk of getting no rhythm while on the court.  When is the Centennial coaches poll and preview slated to come out?