FB: Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IBFC_Alum

Genius,

You say Lakeland is second behind CUW because they"lost core of offense" You also said "best defense, athletic QB, great WR" is why CUW is number one.  What about your RB situation.  Doesn't CUW run the ball more than they throw it?
Losing Mills is a huge hit to your offense. How do you replace him?  I do not doubt that CUW will be at the top of the conference but A great QB and a great Reciever will not be as effective without a great running game (unless you plan on throwing the ball 30-40 times a game). Without a doubt CUW has a great defense but I think they will find it hard to run the ball this year but time will tell if they have a back step up and take control of the running game.  If they find that back then I think they will win the conference.

You also picked the LB from GC to win defensive player of the year.  Thats a good pick.  I think that race will be very tight this year with Pirillo from Mac, GC # 25 and the DL from CUW.
"Division III Football, Where They Pay to Play"

footballisfun

Hi,
Here is what I see happening in the IBFC

1.) CUW
2 and 3.) Mac or Lakeland
4.) GC
5.) Ben.
6.) Eurka
7.) CURF

Here is why:

On paper CUW has the most talent coming back and they look really good this year. I think Lakeland will take second or third because while they may have strong players coming back I personally dont think that the guys stepping up are not as good as the players they lost.  I think mac will take second or third because lets face it they had a really down year last year, they had an almost entirely new Coaching staff, a new defence and a lot of young starting.  From what I hear, however, their head coach has worked them hard this off season and is really trying to get the team turned around from last year, I dont think they will win the IBFC but I think they will return to the top half of the confrence.  I think that while Greenville does return a lot of players on Def. their offence will be a slight problem (but not to much).  Their defence is good because they are prepaired each week, they know what to expect from their oppoents and I really think that it will save them and perhaps even mess up the way that I think the IBCF will play out.  I think that Ben., while they had a ok year last year with beating mac and all, that they will still play competitively but they will not be able to beat Mac or GC.  Eurka will beat CURF and CURF while they have gotten a new coaching staff, wont make that much of a turn around this year.  A large part of my standing play out however hing on mac.  To rank them so high after a really bad season is risky, but I think that if they can pull themselves together and play together and have their offence and def. play consistantly then they will do well.

As far as Off. and Def. player of the year goes, I am not sure.  It is to hard to tell by just looking at what is coming back next year as well as the fact that anyone can have a good or bad season any time.
Great are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make those dreams come true.

footballisfun

Wow, I forgot Aurora, that was stupid.

I see them tied with GC at #4

I think a few good games next year are going to be:

Mac Vs. Lakeland (these guys do not like each other).
Lakeland Vs. CUW
Mac Vs. GC
GC Vs. Aurora
Great are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make those dreams come true.

wow_2004

IBFC_ALUM:

You said that losing mills is a huge hit for the falcons' offense, but i disagree. I played at Concordia a few years ago and as i recall, when Concordia won the conference championship in 2003, and represented the IBFC in the playoffs, Manny (Mills) was injured in the first quarter of that game and could not play the rest of the game against #9 ranked U-W Lacrosse. So who stepped up and took his place??? A guy by the name of Aaron Gillespie. He ended up rushing for 142 yards on 22 carries for a td. The ironic thing about that was, he was a true freshman!!!! He will now be a senior. He has played wing for the last 2 seasons and is more than likely to return to running back where he is more dominant. Dont think that Concordia's running game is weak because Mills is gone. Concordia has a balanced offense and defense and i believe they will get the job done in 06'.!!!!

maddog8

Genius, mark my works down this kid will not the smart's right out of you. Expose yourself and then tell me if I am bias. He will be conference player of the year when he becomes a senior in 3 years. His name will be household by the end of next season.

And you guys pick who you want for this years player of the year, but again I will be right when they choose BOBBY LANGSTON from CUW, did I say CUW, I thought I was bias!!!!!!!!

maddog8

Da One, how's it going fella, Luther look like conference champs this yr, fill me in. I pick you and Coe as top 2 in conference.

IBFC_Alum

Quote from: wow_2004 on April 27, 2006, 12:00:04 AM
IBFC_ALUM:

You said that losing mills is a huge hit for the falcons' offense, but i disagree. I played at Concordia a few years ago and as i recall, when Concordia won the conference championship in 2003, and represented the IBFC in the playoffs, Manny (Mills) was injured in the first quarter of that game and could not play the rest of the game against #9 ranked U-W Lacrosse. So who stepped up and took his place??? A guy by the name of Aaron Gillespie. He ended up rushing for 142 yards on 22 carries for a td. The ironic thing about that was, he was a true freshman!!!! He will now be a senior. He has played wing for the last 2 seasons and is more than likely to return to running back where he is more dominant. Dont think that Concordia's running game is weak because Mills is gone. Concordia has a balanced offense and defense and i believe they will get the job done in 06'.!!!!

You make a good point but you forget to realize that he had a good game against UW-Lacrosse but that was with the 2003 playoff offensive line, will that be the same story with the 2006 offensive line?  Only time will tell.  To me, mills was a special player. Yes, he had a good offensive line but he had a knack for turning small plays into big ones.  I played on both of Mac's conference Championship teams(2001,2002), when CUW had Conference player of the year, Cedric Simmons and Manny Mills. Trying to play defense against both was tough, and in my opinion there was not that much of a let down when when manny got the ball to spell Cedric. Now granted that was a different O-line as well, but Manny was a special back. If Gillespie steps and does the things you say he will then CUW will be very tough this year. But like I said only time will tell.

IBFC_Alum

The 44,

I agree with you on Mac.  They had a terrible year last year by anyones standards and especially by Coach McCray's standards.  Like we both said they have a ton of talent and they are young.  When those two elements combine and finally click, they could be very dangerous. And they still have good upperclassmen with QB Schmidtke, RB Ereg and LB Pirillo.  I like them being the underdog. I think it will make them play harder. Playing Augustana the first game of the year will help get them prepared for a tough conference schedule.

Da One

Maddog,

Things out here are going well.  The IIAC doesn't allow spring practice, but our men are having the best spring we've ever had.  The team captains run all of the off-season workouts.  We have about 75 returning players on campus and we have had at least 63 at every workout session.  Not to mention that 9 of those 75 run track.  We will be without our senior RB next year.  He is taking a medical red-shirt with a shoulder injury.  Good news we have a stud #2 RB who is an absolute hammer.  With our QB, WR's, and vetran O-line we should be solid.  On D we have to replace 2 great corners, but we have everyone else back.  This is shaping up to be our best recruiting class.  We have a ton of speed comming in.  Our league is so tough top to bottom, you never know what the season will bring. 

How is Ryan liking Europe?  You said he is playing DB, safety or corner?  What is the name of the team again?  We will scrimage Lakeland again this year, a little closer to you.  Any chance you make it over to watch?

Da One

footballisfun

Quote from: IBFC_Alum on April 27, 2006, 08:23:20 AM
The 44,

I agree with you on Mac.  They had a terrible year last year by anyones standards and especially by Coach McCray's standards.  Like we both said they have a ton of talent and they are young.  When those two elements combine and finally click, they could be very dangerous. And they still have good upperclassmen with QB Schmidtke, RB Ereg and LB Pirillo.  I like them being the underdog. I think it will make them play harder. Playing Augustana the first game of the year will help get them prepared for a tough conference schedule.

First of all, personally I dont think that Schmidtke is that great of a QB.  Now that Balirino (sp?) is gone his preformance has really fell of.  Just watch (I am not a football expert) Schmidtke seems to hang on to the fall to long and when he does let it go, he seems to try and force it to the reciever he wants when their are other open recievers.  However, this could also be because his So. year he go sacked I like a total of like 12 or 15 times or something but this yearhe got sacked that many times in the first 3 games so it could just be a lack of confidence in his offencive line.  (man I feel really bad for bashing this kid like this because it is a tough job to play QB).

I guess while I am on the subject of talking about kids, Ereg didnt look as good as he has in years past.  So people say that he had a few injuries that hurt his preformance but you have to remember he is going to be 25 or 26 next year which is old to be playing football with the physical type of runner he is.  The good news about this, however is that Mac has a kid named Chris Baker who has shown signs that he could be really really good in years to come.

O.K. Enought with all that. From what I hear Mac is shaping up to have a good season this year also because they are working hard in the weight room and with their running.  I know that all the teams are working hard but from what I understand in years past not to many of Mac's players would lift or run hard but I have heard (from a very good source) that the new Strength and Conditioning Coach (Postma) is doing a great job about getting the kids in the weight room and they are all lifting which is a big step in the right direction for this program.

IBFC_Alum

The 44,

I do not know what you heard in the past but Mac players have always lifted. The scrubs never lifted but that was their choice and believe me they were not around long.  Look in the weight room next time you are there at Mac. You will see a lot of lifting records from the years 2001-2005. Schmidtke is a good QB you will see this year now that he has some experience around him. Ereg will be fine.  This will be the year that they get it turned around.

footballisfun

I can see where you are coming from with Schmidtke not having the experiance around him.  He did have a young group of recivers around him last season and they are older and hopfully better.  I know that Ereg will be fine as well but I dont think that he will be the power house that he was 2 years ago is all I am saying, time is catching up to him.

Genius

Maddog,

You can be biased on one point and then be captian obvious on a different point. It is hard to argue with Langston as P.O.Y.

I personally don't see him winning it because he is a DL and i expect that a LB (more opportunities to make big plays) will win it. I think #25 from GC is the LB.

Wagner may be great in 3 years. Set a reminder on your outlook to write again in 3years and bring up his name. For right now, he doesn't deserve to be mentioned.

Mills was a great back. I  don't think they will miss him that much. Most of their oline is back and the other 2 backs are returning. They also have the best return game in the conference. Although their punt team was suspect. With their Dfense they may not need to score many points this year anyway. That is why i pick them #1.

however, anytime you are a 1 dimensional offense, people have a chance to stop you. So by no means am i saying no one else has a chance. But they get the nod if i was betting.

maddog8

Genius, you make valid points, I agree CUW will be up there at the top. As for Wagner I am sticking with this kid, he is a man at a kids age. His  maturity for the game is way to advanced for his age. For sure a student of the game like Ryan was.

Da One, Ryan is loving Europe and tearing up, He is playing OLB put on 18 more pounds. In 3 games has 2 INT's and took one 68 yrds for a TD, he is also playing WR and KR/PR.  Ran one KR 90 for a TD. He is playing for the Hamburg Blue Devils the farm team for the Sea Devils.  In 3 weeks has seen 4 different Countries. Not to mention he is making good $. Surprised he adapted so well to Defense.

Keep in touch, I may make the Scrimage we'll see.

IBFC_Alum

Quote from: footballisfun on April 27, 2006, 04:06:19 PM
I can see where you are coming from with Schmidtke not having the experiance around him. He did have a young group of recivers around him last season and they are older and hopfully better. I know that Ereg will be fine as well but I dont think that he will be the power house that he was 2 years ago is all I am saying, time is catching up to him.

You can't be a powerhouse when you do not have an offensive line that is not very good (2005 O-line).  But times are changing at Mac.  With admission requirements being raised every single year since Coach McCray was hired at Mac,  the overall team talent has not been there. This is something previous Mac Head coaches did not have to deal with.  But those admission requirements are for the better of the school and for the better of football program.  It will help bring in better character, smarter players and keep players around for all four years of college.  These past couple of seasons have been a transitional period for Mac and it has been tough.  I think you will see a more improved Mac team this year and more consistent Mac teams down the road.  McCray is a great head coach and teams will see that this year.