FB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sac

I think its pretty unusual for a conference with a full-robin to have a 3 way tie any.  I'm sure it doesn't happen often.

In 1999 Hope-Albion-Alma tied at 5-1 with the same 1-1 vs each other problem.  Alma went to the playoffs at 8-1 (Hope 5-4, Albion 6-3), but I believe Alma made it based on the merit of their record as an at-large team.  The MIAA didn't have an auto-bid I don't think.

Interesting that if margin of victory would have been used that year Hope would have won hands down with +49, Albion +3, Alma -52.  In an odd twist and eerily similar to this season Hope beat Alma 62-7 and lost a norrow 20-14 game to Albion.

Also odd Chuck, 1999 Hope played IWU in football losing 19-11, I believe this is the only meeting between the two schools.

The only other 3 way tie I could find in the MIAA was in 1958 with Hillsdale-Hope-Albion

This is certainly an unusual occurrance.

bulldogalum

First impressions on Adrian and Albion after having seen them today:

Adrian's Defense is legitimate.  They're fast, they tackle well, and they follow their assignments.  I'm here to tell you they probably haven't lost a game for this team all year.

The Offense is pretty predictable, but they do block well on the predictable plays.  The O line stepped up quite a bit in the second half, with their physical play enabling Adrian to wear down the Albion defense.

Albion is a good squad, but not quite good enough.   My brother said this would be a matchup of strengths against strengths (Albion's O v. Adrian's D), and alhtough Albion's O showed signs of life, Adrian's D got the better of that matchup.

Albion's player of the game was their punter.  He singlehandedly kept Albion in the thick of things in the first half.

Hopefully Adrian cna knock off Alma next week and make the league a bit more interesting.
Silvernail is a great WR, but he couldn't handle Adrian's phsical play, it really seemed to throw him off.

WLCALUM83

Tri-State 30, WLC 10

The up-and-coming Thunder squad end up getting the advantage in this all-time rivalry 3 games to 2 over the years.

As long as I'm posting on MIAA rivalry records, here's how WLC fared against the rest of the conference all time.

Albion:  The Brits always had the Warriors' number: WLC 0-fered.
Hope:  Ditto, barring a total shock in next weekend's '07 finale.
Alma:  Went 1-5 all time, (every year since '04 WLC's pre-season web-site release points to the '03 49-28 win as one of the biggest ones in WLC's football program.
Olivet:  Also went 1-5 with the victory coming in '03.
Kzoo:  Believe it or not WLC went 3-3 all time against the Hornets (wins in '03, '04, 07).
Adrian:  A very deceptive 2-6--wins coming in '01 and '04. (could very well have 0-fered against the Bulldogs here if not for a break or two.)

Thanks for allowing the "young cub Warriors" an opportunity to at least show what they could do as a football program still in its' relative infancy.

Best to MIAA football in '08 and beyond! :) ;) :D

+ "k" to all!

WLCALUM83

Just for those who are curious about how WLC's fared against teams the Warriors will be playing starting in '08:

vs Concordia-WI:  0-fered.
vs Rockford, 5-3
vs. Maranatha Baptist, 2-0
vs. Lakeland, 0-1
vs. Aurora 1-0

WLC did not play Benedictine or Concordia-Chicago previously.

(for you MIAA winter sports fans, maybe your men's basketball teams will continue to have NAthCon's numbers come tournament time

(also, 2 in-NAthCon schools--MSOE and Concordia-WI have hockey programs-MSOE is scheduled to play Adrian a bit later on--)

wabco

In the NCAC ... in the event of a tie ... the team which went last to the playoffs is NOT selected.  Example:  if 3 tie and Hope went to playoffs last year, Hope would be disqualified and then you would look to head to head between the remaining two.  At least I think that is the convoluted way NCAC does it.  Not set up to necessarily get the "best" football team there but rather spread it around among qualifying teams.

Next week in the MIAA will be interesting ... especially if the opponents bring their game and understand they have nothing to lose by being conventional and everything to win (be remembered) by playing one game over their heads and outerbody.

BY the by ... good luck to all and no injuries.

And .... Depauw to Hell Wabash Has the Bell.

matblake

Quote from: wabco on November 04, 2007, 06:49:55 AM
And .... Depauw to Hell Wabash Has the Bell.

Ya, gotta love it spreading out to other boards...  ;D

Flying Dutch Fan

According to what I heard last week (anticipating this possibility), the tie breaker works like this (assuming they all win their last game):

1. Conference record - a tie

2. Head to head record - still a tie

3. Overall record - still a tie

4. Winning percentage of the teams they played in non-conference

Right now Hope has the lead, but Central is playing an 8-1 Wartburg team, and if IWU beats Wheaton next Saturday, it could get really interesting.

Hope 20 -7 (UWRF 3-6,  Central 9-0, Wheaton 8-1)
Olivet 18-9 (IWU 6-3, Witt 7-2, Elmhurst 5-4)
Alma 16-11 (Cornell 2-7, UWEC 7-2, Witt 7-2)
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

bulldogalum

WLCALUM: 

Thanks are in order to WLC as well for being a very good fit, and a fine opponent in the MIAA over the years.  I'm sure you will be the class of your new conference soon enough, but don't be a stranger on this board!

miaafbfan

Interesting day yesterday!  Seems we have a complicated scenario on our hands if Alma, Hope, and Olivet all win next weekend.  I think Flying Dutch Fan spelled it out accurately.  Hope has the upper hand at this point, but as we saw yesterday, things can happen to make things interesting. 

formerd3db

What an interesting "mess" we have in the MIAA after yesterday's action! ;D  Everyone's comments as to the the "tie-breaker" (if that is necessary) are interesting and legit.  Yet, from what I was told yesterday after our game from "the sources who will remain anonymous" is that if all 3 win i.e. Hope, Alma, Olivet, then Hope goes because of the better record of its non-conference opponents.  If Alma loses, and both Olivet and Hope win, then Olivet goes since they beat Hope (Alma would have 2 league losses).  I think the only way Alma can go is if both Hope and Olivet lose.  Regardless, it will be interesting to see what happens.

sac:
In 1999, the MIAA did have the AQ  (recall that Defiance was in the league that uyear also - it was their last year in the MIAA), but Alma went by virtue of winning the league tie-breaker, which I can't quite remember, but I belive was either by virtue of the better overall record or better scores/  performance against non-league teams.  Alma got hammered by Wittenberg in the playoffs 42-19.  The following year, Hope got in by a Pool C bid I believe in winning the conference but not having 7 teams to qualify for the AQ (before Tri-State and Wis-Luth).

Now as to Hope's game yesterday:

Indeed, very disappointing for us "Hope people" :(.  Hope had its chances to win - missing two scoring opportunities within the "red zone" early in the game and missing a field goal.  Also, a dropped INT in the endzone at the end of the game on the play right before Olivet's final TD would have sealed it for Hope.  However, that being said, great credit goes to the Olivet team and their coaching staff - neither gave up.  Olivet is a good team, very quick and hard hitting.  Hope's defense played hard, although did get tired in the third quarter when having had to be on the field for a long time when Hope's offense began to sputter.  Once again, however, the Hope pass defense in secondary had a difficult time, although did have two great INT plays, both on long passes, one thwarted a TD, the other was run back a long way for a TD.  However, the pass coverage breakdown on the last two Olivet scoring plays (i.e. the TD and the 2 point conversion) were devastating.  Hope would have had a chance to try and get into field goal range, had they not fumbled and lost the ball on the ensuing kickoff with Olivet running out the last 35 seconds.

Again, a disappointing loss.  Beautiful day for a game, however, and nice crowd.  My congrats and compliments to Olivet players and staff.  I'm Hoping, course, Hope, Alma and Olivet all win next week as we would then get the AQ as I understand it (as discussed above).

One final aspect:  I, too, would like to thank WLCAlum and his other WLC colleagues for their contribution here on our board during WLC's years as a football member of our MIAA.  Class people all the way.  As bulldogalum mentioned, I join in wishing you and WLC all best wishes in your new fb league and, yes, please don't be a stranger on our board.  We may "drop in" on yours occasionally as well.  Again, thanks.  One more game against you next week and, please forgive me, but I hope HOPE wins it! ;D ;)

Other commentsanyone about any of the games, in addition to what you others have posted?

"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

Ralph Turner

A big thanks to WLC for giving the MIAA the Pool A bid over these last 5 years.

I sincerely believe that the MIAA would not have earned an at-large bid in at least 2-3 of the current 5 years that MIAA has had the Pool A bid.  :)

The other credit goes to the MIAA Brain Trust for understanding the changing nature of the football pools as teams added football and conferences moved en masse to conform to the Pool A requirements.  Getting WLC as an affiliate was strategic and brilliant as was adding Tri-State.

In 1999, the last year that the MIAA had the Pool A bid, the MIAA was one of only 15 Pool A bids (to go with 9 Pool B bids) in the 28 field team.

formerd3db

Ralph:

Recall that the MIAA Brain Trust saw to it before 1999 when they first had the AQ by adding Defiance.  Now, if we could only get the NESCAC to "see the light" ;D.   
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

sac

First, we need to see the NESCAC play a round-robin in basketball. ::)

Thanks for clearing up 99, formerd3db, I don't know how I missed Defiance in the standings (skimming I'm sure).

For a November 3rd, yesterdays weather gets an  A++. 8)

Pat Coleman

Quote from: sac on November 04, 2007, 10:49:54 PM
First, we need to see the NESCAC play a round-robin in basketball. ::)

They do. Surely you want a double round-robin. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: formerd3db on November 04, 2007, 10:10:06 PM
Ralph:

Recall that the MIAA Brain Trust saw to it before 1999 when they first had the AQ by adding Defiance.  Now, if we could only get the NESCAC to "see the light" ;D.   
Man, 1999!  That is ancient history!

The ASC was created for the sole purpose of joining D3 in 1996.

Any D3 before D3football.com is before my time!  :D

Newbies on these sites probably don't give any thought to not having D3Football.com.  The Internet has given us our own media channel.