MBB: State University of New York Athletic Conference

Started by bamm, March 12, 2005, 09:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magicman

D3hoops Top 25 final regular season poll was released earlier on Monday night and the Plattsburgh State Cardinals riding their 19 game winning streak have moved up to #16 in the poll. Plattsburgh received 197 votes an increase of 105 over last week's 92.

Hobart slid from #28 with 59 votes to #33 with 13 votes.

No other team in the East Region got any votes.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: magicman on February 27, 2018, 02:28:33 AM
Quote from: ronk on February 27, 2018, 12:18:52 AM
Quote from: magicman on February 26, 2018, 07:45:06 PM
spwood,

I sent you a PM explaining what probably happened concerning Hobart and Brockport.  Didn't you get it?

Would u send it to me, also? I don't understand why they were reversed from the 3rd regional ranking when all that changed was that each lost a conference playoff game.

Sending you a reply in the next few minutes.

Well if we are sharing the info... please send it to me as well. :)
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

magicman

The SUNYAC office has announce the season ending awards for Men's Basketball and there weren't any surprises.

CONGRATULATIONS to all the fine student athletes singled out for these awards. I got to meet many of them throughout the year and tried to make it a point to spend time with the opposing teams as they visited Plattsburgh and Memorial Hall. I'll miss the graduating seniors and look forward to seeing once again, the players I met this year, that will be coming back. To all the coaches who took a few minutes to talk with me and thank me for my devotion to the SUNYAC Board and D3 basketball in general, I hope we can continue to have conversations in the future. Best of luck to every one next season and please join me in rooting for the Cardinals and Golden Eagles in the NCAA Tournament

Here's the info from the SUNYAC website:

CORTLAND, NY -  The State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) is excited to announce the 2018 men's basketball All-Conference teams as well as Player, Rookie and Coach of the Year. These awards were nominated and voted on by conference coaches.

Player of the Year - Jonathan Patron, Plattsburgh

Patron, a junior forward from Huntington was an offensive force for Plattsburgh this year where he averaged 23.7 points per game overall. With an average of 10.4 rebounds per game Patron averaged a double-double this season. In addition he leads the conference in overall points per game and rebounds per game. Patron also averaged 26.4 minutes per game which is the most on the team. His presence on the court was important at each point this season especially during the team's 19-game winning streak. In the SUNYAC finals, his 41 points helped lead his team to the conference title and he was named the Tournament MVP. Patron was named first team All-Conference for all his efforts this season.

Rookie of the Year - Sheldon Adams, Buffalo State

Adams, a Rochester native started off his college career on a great note averaging 14.5 points per game overall which is the second highest on the team. Adams had a breakout game against Cortland in early February where he led the team with 29 points including seven three-pointers. Adams totaled 35 steals and 12 blocks this season for the Bengals.

Coach of the Year - Tom Curle, Plattsburgh

In his 15th season as head coach of the Cardinals he led his team to their seventh overall SUNYAC title and their first since 2010 (fifth under Curle). In the 15 seasons since his hiring, the Cardinals have enjoyed many unprecedented successes in school history including five SUNYAC titles. He has been the all time winningest Cardinals' coach in both wins and winning, and that continues to increase after all the success he had during the 2017-2018 season. Curle's leadership this season found three of his players on SUNYAC All-Conference Teams.

2018 SUNYAC Men's Basketball All-Conference Teams

First Team           
Name                   School         Year      Hometown
Hamed Shamseldin   Brockport          Sr.   Lawrence, N.Y.
Justin Summers           Brockport          So.   Brooklyn, N.Y.
James Morales           Cortland          Sr.   Mount Kisco, N.Y.
Eli Bryant                   Plattsburgh       Sr.   Staten Island, N.Y.
Jonathan Patron           Plattsburgh       Jr.   Huntington, N.Y.

Second Team           
Name               School          Year    Hometown
Mike Henry       Buffalo State   Sr.   Syracuse, N.Y.
Justin Cooper       Cortland   Jr.   Pine Plains, N.Y.
Quinn Carey       Geneseo   Jr.   Ponte Vedra, Fla.
Tommy Eastman    Geneseo   So.   Honeoye Falls, N.Y.
Jamir Ferebee       Oswego     Sr.   Staten Island, N.Y.

Third Team           
Name           School   Year     Hometown
Zach Lydon   Cortland     Jr.   Elizaville, N.Y.
Ian Helps           Fredonia     Sr.   Bronx, N.Y.
Tyler Pierre   Oswego     Jr.   Deer Park, N.Y.
Eric Mack            Plattsburgh  Sr.   Long Island, N.Y.
Dante Langley   Potsdam     Jr.    Schuylerville, N.Y.

Player of the Year   Jonathan Patron   Plattsburgh
Rookie of the Year   Sheldon Adams    Buffalo State
Coach of the Year   Tom Curle            Plattsburgh

Here's the quote from my predictions back on February 20th. Just about every selection from the SUNYAC office was identical to the one I made earlier. I had Eric Mack on the 2nd team and Quinn Carey on the 3rd team which was reversed. That was probably because I'm slightly biased toward my Cardinal player but I also got to watch his magic, far more than anyone else voting for these awards. It's not often you see a 6'3" guy lead a conference in blocked shots.  Also had Kevin Mackin on the 3rd team instead of Tyler Pierre who I had on the Honorable Mention list but after watching him last weekend I could easily place him where he is.

I correctly picked the 3 individual awards but they were really no-brainers. Jon Patron, Sheldon Adams and Coach Curle were clearly the only correct choices for those.

Quote from: magicman on February 20, 2018, 03:10:26 AM
Time to announce the SUNYAC All Conference performers that I have on my lists.  Always tough decisions and I list more guys than the conference does because I can. All of the players listed below had great seasons and were enjoyable to watch. And I can guarantee you that nobody watched more than I did.  ;D

SUNYAC Player of the Year    Jon Patron            Junior Forward       Plattsburgh State     

Rookie of the Year                Sheldon Adams     Freshman Guard    Buffalo State

Coach of the Year                 Tom Curle            15th Season          Plattsburgh State

First Team All Conference

Jon Patron                Junior            F      Plattsburgh State

Justin Summers        Sophomore     F      Brockport State

Hamed Shamseldin   Senior            G      Brockport State

Eli Bryant                 Senior            G      Plattsburgh State

James Morales          Senior            G      Cortland State

2nd Team All Conference

Mike Henry               Senior             G     Buffalo State

Justin Cooper           Junior              G     Cortland State

Jamir Ferebee          Senior              G    Oswego State

Tommy Eastman      Sophomore       F     Geneseo State

Eric Mack                Senior               F    Plattsburgh State

3rd Team All Conference

Quinn Carey           Junior                G    Geneseo State

Kevin Mackin          Sophomore        G    Oneonta State

Dante Langley        Junior                G/F Potsdam State 

Ian Helps               Senior                F    Fredonia State

Zach Lydon            Junior                 F   Cortland State

Honorable Mention

Tyler Collins                 Junior           G   Brockport State

Sir.Quinton Campbell   Sophomore    F    Buffalo State

Nicky Bonura              Junior             G   Cortland State

Kay Jackson                5th Year         G   Fredonia State

Zack Panebianco         Junior             G   Geneseo State

Kevin Crockett            Senior             G   Geneseo State

Dylan Balducci            Senior             G   New Paltz State

Brandon Guest            Senior             F  New Paltz State

Ian Schultz                 Sophomore     F   Oneonta State

Dwayne Freeman         Senior           G   Oneonta State

Tyler Pierre                 Junior            C   Oswego State

Josh Ivey                    Senior            F   Oswego State

Liam Sanborn              Freshman      G   Oswego State

Chris Middleton            Junior           G/F Plattsburgh State

Zac Johnson                Senior            G  Plattsburgh State

Ian Howard                 Junior             F  Plattsburgh State

Brandon Johnson        Junior             G  Plattsburgh State

Danny Delsol-Lowry     Sophomore    G   Potsdam State

Nosa Onabor               Junior            G Potsdam State

magicman

It's time to go Dancing.

Nichols College at Plattsburgh State  7:30 PM

The Cardinals will have their hands full with the high scoring Bisons who boast 5 starters in double figures. The Commonwealth Coast Conference Champions won the automatic bid to the Dance for the 2nd straight year and for the 2nd straight year are considered underdogs in their first round game. Last year they were sent to Neumann College and won a 96-93 decision over the hosts.

They are led by junior guard, Marcos Echevarria (22.2 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 4.8 apg, 2.0 spg, 115 3PTM) who is the CCC Player of the Year . Hie is a scoring machine.

Sophomore guard, DeAnte Bruton (18.1 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 3.6 apg, 2.1 spg) is close behind him as a scoring threat and was chosen for the CCC All Conference  First Team.

Senior guard, Daequon Antoine (14.6 ppg, 5.6 rpg, 1.6 apg, 1.8 spg, 81 3PTM) made the CCC All Conference Third Team.

Sophomore guard, Tyler Dion (11.5 ppg, 2.2 rpg, 2.4 apg, 43.6% 3FG%, 85.3 FT%) is another 3 point shooting threat and has the best long distance shooting percentage on the team.

Sophomore forward  6'8" Jerome Cunningham (10.9 ppg, 9.4 rpg, 2.0 apg, 1.0 spg, 1.2 bpg, 55.9% FG%) was also a CCC All Conference Third Team selection.

The bench is short but they can bring in another 6'8" big man and another guard that average around 18 minutes per game.

The team averagess 91 ppg and they give up 76 ppg.

The Cardinals will counter with SUNYAC Player of the Year Junior forward, Jon Patron. Patron is averaging 23.7 ppg and 10.4 rpg and the Cardinals haven't lost this year with Patron on the court. He is their go to guy and makes everyone around him better.

Eli Bryant is a senior guard who started last year but comes off the bench this year, to provide a spark that usually helps the Cardinals get some separation from their opponents. He was the 2nd leading scorer in the conference with a 19.1 ppg average.

Eric Mack is a 6'3" senior with exceptional hops, who was also chosen to the SUNYAC All Conference 3rd team. In addition to his 11.2 ppg and 5.6 rpg, he led the conference in blocked shots.

Plattsburgh has a deep team and will come at you with a 10 man rotation that can feature a host of 3 point shooters and a solid team defense. That could well be the key in today's game...slowing the Nichols guards down and limiting their shots by controlling the boards....something that Plattsburgh has done well all season long. Kris Middleton, a 6"7"junior guard and Zach Coleman a 6'2" senior guard will provide excellent perimeter defense and help guard the 3 point line. 6'3" junior, Ian Howard, is a rebounding machine and along with the instant offense of 5'10" junior guard Brandon Johnson and his quickness, this pair will help run the up tempo style that the Cardinals like to play. 

The oddsmakers have favored the Cardinals in this game by a 7 point margin. I'm hoping we can win it by a bit more. I'll take the Cardinals to win by a 92-81 final score.

Brockport  vs  MIT    at Johns Hopkins  in Baltimore Maryland  5:30 PM

The Golden Eagles are listed as 4 point underdogs in this game but I think they can come away with the W here. The Engineers came in 2nd in their conference during the regular season but won the automatic bid by winning their conference tournament. I've seen them play online on several occasions and I think that Brockport might match up well against them. They did lose their best player to a season ending injury back on January 31st and they went 5-3 without him. If Brockport can play this game dictating the tempo I think they will win it. I'll take Hamed Shamseldin and Justin Summers to bounce back from that loss to Oneonta in the YAC tournament  and win this one by a 78-73 final score. 

Bengalsrule

Here's to wishing both the cards and Golden eagles the best of luck as they embark upon the 2018 dance to day!  I imagine that the magic 1 is already at Memorial hall with his red hat on, back row, directly behind coach Curles seat (give or take 6 inches left or right. ) Everyone knows that that's his seat!!   I gotta believe that 1 of these teams will make it to Salem.  Ill be watching and cheering from my computer!

Go CARDS

Go GOLDEN EAGLES

Go SUNYAC

magicman

Plattsburgh State defeats Nichols College 103-86.

Union College upsets New Jersey City by a 76-72 final score

Plattsburgh State will play Union  on Saturday evening at 7:00 PM at Plattsburgh's Memorial Hall.

Brockport State loses to MIT by a final score of 81-67.

AllStar

Congratulations to magicman's Cardinals for advancing!

magicman

NCAA Tournament 2nd Round Game

Union College at #16 Plattsburgh State  7:00 PM  Memorial Hall

The two teams from New York and the East Region were the survivors after the opening round of the Big Dance. Union came from 14 points down early in the 2nd half to prevent New Jersey City from pulling away and turning the game into a laugher. The scrappy Dutchmen slowly inched their way back into contention and a 12-0 run got them within a single possession at 48-46 with 16 minutes to play. The Gothic Knights scored on back to back possessions to make it 52-46 but Union came back with another 11-4 spurt to finally grab their first lead of the night with 11:43 left on the clock. From there it was a back and forth affair with numerous lead changes until Union, down 63-62, scored 8 straight points to go up 70-63 with 3:49 to go. Both teams had some shaky moments down the stretch with turnovers, missed free throws, and missed shots with neither team making a field goal in the final 2:25 of the game. Union's guard  Kevin Weckworth hit 6 of 8 from the line to close out the game for the Dutchmen.

Plattsburgh State- Nichols had a spirited first half with the Cardinals opening up 7, 8, and 9 point leads on several occasions but the Bison were always able to come back and keep things close. Down by 8 points as the clock wound down in the first period, Nichols got a 3 pointer from DeAnte Bruton to cut the gap to 5 points at the break. The Cardinals took control of this game quickly in the 2nd half as they opened the period with a 9-0 run capped by a 3 pointer from Jon Patron and a layup from Ian Howard to go up 60-46. That was the impetus that put the Cardinals in their comfort zone and they were never really threatened the rest of the way as the lead hovered between 8 and 20 points.

Today's matchup has the Cardinals favored by 9 points. Union is a team that doesn't give up and they have already pulled off some big upsets this year including 2 wins over Hobart who was the top team in the East Region for most of the year. They also have another 2 wins over Skidmore, who was the preseason favorite to win the Liberty League. Somebody forgot to tell the Dutchmen that fact. Skidmore beat Plattsburgh State pretty handily, earlier this season in November, by an 88-62 score. The Cardinals were without main weapon Jon Patron in that game so the result is somewhat misleading.

Plattsburgh is playing their best basketball of the season right now and this team is deep, talented and can score in bunches. They have now won 20 games in a row which is a program record. They are more athletic than Union and will try and dictate the tempo and run the floor. They present problems defensively for Union and hope to open up a lead early to take the Dutchmen out of their comfort zone.

I think the Cardinals will be too much too handle and see them winning this game by an 89-74 final score.     

AllStar

A Sweet 16 for the Cardinals.  Congratulations!

magicman

NCAA 2nd Round Final Score

Plattsburgh State 87   Union College 75

I predicted the final score of this game would be an 89-74 Plattsburgh win. The Cardinals took a shot clock violation on their last possession rather than try and score as they ran the game clock down to 4 seconds. Otherwise they probably would have hit the 89 points I called for. Union's last basket was a long 3 pointer with 35 seconds to go, giving them 75 points instead of 74. So I missed a perfect score by 3 points but I'm real happy with the win, that sends the Cardinals on to the Sweet 16.

Now hoping they don't make the sectional... the NESCAC Invitational, like they've done so many other years (when we've been sent  to Amherst) and send us to Hamilton. We are the only 1st round host in our quadrant that made the Sweet 16. The other host teams...Wesleyan, Cabrini, and York (Pa) all lost. We are the #1 ranked team in the East Region and are the only team left in our quadrant that is the #1 ranked team in the region they are in. Hamilton is 4th in the Northeast Region and Springfield is 6th.  Swarthmore is 3rd in the Middle Atlantic Region. We have the current longest winning streak in Men's basketball, all divisions, that now stands at 21 straight games. Finally no one left in our quadrant has a better record than we do. Hamilton and us are both 24-4. Oh and one more thing...the other 3 teams are all within 500 miles of Plattsburgh. Swarthmore is 402 miles, Hamilton is 195 miles and Springfield is 245 miles. So the geography doesn't exclude us.
I hope the NCAA does the RIGHT thing and gives Plattsburgh the Sectional they so rightly deserve.   

Bengalsrule

Congrats to the Cards.  Those dancing shoes look real good on y'all.  Hopefully the Magic 1 will be a great host next weekend !

amh63

Magicman, as always, solid analysis and logic.  Oh yes, great game by your team last night! 
Hope the NCAA gives your team the sectional.

thebear

Hamilton has a 5,000 seat facility. 

Total Miles 655 at Hamilton, 696 at Springfield, 852 at Plattsburgh, 931 at Swarthmore. 

Hamilton plays in the NESCAC which is the #7 conference, SUNYAC is #23. 

Hamilton is ranked 27 in Massey,  Swarthmore 31, Plattsburgh 42, Springfield 101. 

NCAA is cheap, BTW all 4 colleges are on break starting 3/9  ???

"Just the Facts, Ma'am, Just the Facts"
- Sgt. Joe Friday

spwood

Ramapo has announced it's hosting its regional.  No word from anyone else yet.....

amh63

On the updated men's brackets.....Magicman....your team is going to PA!  Swarthmore, just outside Philly in the high cost area will host!