Small Colleges Starting Football

Started by Sabretooth Tiger, July 10, 2006, 11:18:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

New school timeline...

2010 -- Pacific (NWC)

2011 -- Presentation (UMAC), Stevenson (non-football sponsoring Capital AC); Birmingham-Southern (SCAC) completes reclassification.

2012 -- Finlandia (Independent)

2013 -- George Fox (NWC).

K-Mack

Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 17, 2010, 04:25:57 PM
New school timeline...

2010 -- Pacific (NWC)

2011 -- Presentation (UMAC), Stevenson (non-football sponsoring Capital AC); Birmingham-Southern (SCAC) completes reclassification.

Thanks for this. Is UNO on board yet/sponsoring football? What's the latest on Centenary? Is there someone we're forgetting?

It always takes me part of the summer to remember where everything stands :) ... Fun to re-read stuff I wrote and be like "I don't remember knowing that!"
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: K-Mack on June 03, 2010, 01:56:32 AM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 17, 2010, 04:25:57 PM
New school timeline...

2010 -- Pacific (NWC)

Thanks for this. Is UNO on board yet/sponsoring football? What's the latest on Centenary? Is there someone we're forgetting?

It always takes me part of the summer to remember where everything stands :) ... Fun to re-read stuff I wrote and be like "I don't remember knowing that!"
I think that Centenary will add it so that their senior class will be eligible for the playoffs and off the re-classifying schedule.  Centenary will be in its last year of the Summit League contract for 2010-11.  The NCAA has not made public the re-classifying timeline for Centenary.

Not sure of the status of Hendrix, and Concordia has a new campus and is adding sports.  I have not heard if football is in the mix.

CKBeber329

Going off of Ralph's:

New school timeline...

2011 -- Presentation (UMAC), Stevenson (MAC); Birmingham-Southern (SCAC) completes reclassification, New Orleans (Independent)?

2012 -- Finlandia (Independent), Misericordia (MAC)

Any word on Hendrix?

Ron Boerger

Re Hendrix:  there's a story in the "what we're reading" section off the main page.  It's basically "we want to do it but we don't know when conditions will permit."  NO timeline.  

UNO wants to join the ASC.   A story last August inferred that UNO would be next on the list to join if any of the current members leave, and stated that there are teams looking to exit. 

sflzman

Quote from: CKBeber329 on October 19, 2010, 10:21:32 AM

Any thoughts that Finlandia would possibly move into the MIAA in the near future?

I know for sure that they are closer than a lot of usual non-con games at Alma.....
Be not afraid of greatness - Shakespeare

Ralph Turner

Quote from: sflzman on October 24, 2010, 10:07:15 AM

Any thoughts that Finlandia would possibly move into the MIAA in the near future?

I know for sure that they are closer than a lot of usual non-con games at Alma.....
Does Finlandia fit the "mission and vision" of the MIAA?

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Ralph Turner on October 24, 2010, 12:33:39 PM

I don't know one way or the other on that.  But I do know I campaigned to get Finlandia switched to the West region - getting to Wisconsin (or even Minnesota) is a heckuva lot easier than getting to the lower peninsula!  Can you imagine the winter sports teams having to cross the Big Mac 2-3 times a week?! :o

Finlandia is an 8-10 hour drive (each way) from the rest of the MIAA.

doolittledog

I think there was talk when Findlandia announced they were adding football that they were looking at the UMAC and the Northern Athletics Conference...among others. 

hickory_cornhusker

They already play in the WIAC in men's soccer. Maybe they can join the UW schools for all sports.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on October 24, 2010, 12:58:17 PM

I don't know one way or the other on that.  But I do know I campaigned to get Finlandia switched to the West region - getting to Wisconsin (or even Minnesota) is a heckuva lot easier than getting to the lower peninsula!  Can you imagine the winter sports teams having to cross the Big Mac 2-3 times a week?! :o

Finlandia is an 8-10 hour drive (each way) from the rest of the MIAA.
Yes, and I applaud your efforts to that effect.  (+1!)  When D-III moved to expand the definition of in-region in the middle of the last decade, Finlandia was an excellent example of how to do it and who might benefit.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: doolittledog on October 24, 2010, 01:14:20 PM
I think there was talk when Findlandia announced they were adding football that they were looking at the UMAC and the Northern Athletics Conference...among others. 

Quote from: hickory_cornhusker on October 24, 2010, 02:12:29 PM
They already play in the WIAC in men's soccer. Maybe they can join the UW schools for all sports.
In which conference are they most likely to succeed with respect to conference championships and playoff bids.

Which conference(s) needs their teams to sustain an AQ?

sflzman

Yea but does Finlandia really want to go to the WIAC, the best d3 conference, and go 0-10 every season?

sflzman

What is that mission and vision exactly? Finlandia is a very comprable school to most in the MIAA....

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: sflzman on October 24, 2010, 07:59:54 PM

Yea but does Finlandia really want to go to the WIAC, the best d3 conference, and go 0-10 every season?

Since the WIAC is the UW campuses in d3, I can't imagine a small private school in the UP fully joining (or being allowed to join) that conference! ;)

Whatever conference (if any) they join is going to entail a heckuva lot of travel, but there are a couple closer (and easier) than the MIAA - just because they are in Michigan doesn't mean they are really in the same state as the MIAA! :D